Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kimanjo

It took 6 years to find the answer: Candida killer and Probiotics

Finally, after 6 years of searching and searching...false hopes and thousands of dollars in potions, lotions, and a constant round of dermatologists: we discovered the cause of the acne is due to a candida overgrowth on the skin, and the complications from the overgrowth.

To put it simply, the candida created a thin, almost invisible film on the skin. This film did not allow the pores to purge naturally, nor allow the skin to shed on a regular basis. Topical treatments could treat some of the symptoms (BP would treat infections in the pores; salicylic acid would help the skin to shed), but the underlying cause of the acne was never treated.

Since an infant my daughter had been on antibiotics many times, starting with an ear infection when just a little tyke. And with further infections in later life, ranging from UTIs to underarm infected pores, infected wisdom tooth, sinus infections, to cysts on eyelids, there was not a full year went by without my daughter taking some kind of antibiotic: Amoxicillin, Cipro, Keflex, Doxycycline (which supposedly cures acne--yeah, sure!)

I will skip the gory details and say this: four weeks ago I was at my wit's end. But something way, far back in the hidden corners of my brain must have registered--maybe it was because, as a mom, I had a complete medical history of my daughter, whereas a dermatologist sees my daughter as a patient, without any context. Who knows.

Anyway, I went to the store and purchased an anti-candida product, Candex. [i remember having used this in Europe, where it had been prescribed by a doctor (!) for a stomach issue I had]. I also bought some potent Probiotics, a brand normally used by those recovering from chemotherapy.

I asked my daughter, now 19, to begin taking the Candex product at half-dose, telling her she would probably experience some discomfort, as the fungus died off. I also told her to take the Probiotics. In addition, she continued her (somewhat) low glycemic of moderate sugar, reduced wheat diet which she has been on for months. She continued to use organic dairy along with small amounts of my homemade goat kefir. My daughter continued her normal face cleansing routine of Cetaphil and 2% salycylic acid with 2.5 BP on cysts. Nothing in her life changed except the introduction of anti-candida supplements and the probiotics.

Sure enough, the first week was horrible, as daughter experienced a fungal die-off, Herxheimer Reaction. She had a lot of intestinal discomfort within hours of taking the anti-fungal enzymes, even half doses. But she persevered, moved up to full doses, rotating between Candizyme and Candex. She continued with the Probiotics and her usual healthy (though nothing outrageously restrictive) diet which occasionally included coconut oil and omega 3s (both of which she had used in the past).

After week 1, daughter's face began to GLOW. It was dewey and moist, and the pores were finer. Yes, she still had cysts and pimples, but we thought they might be decreasing.

By week 2 we were hopeful that daughter's face was improving. At week 3 we knew her face was improving.

Now it is week 4 and we can say, without a doubt, daughter's acne is ALMOST GONE. The cysts on her jawline--gone. The whiteheads around her temples and forehead--gone. The bumps on her chin--gone. The orange peel texture (inflammation) is smooth. Redness and scarring decreased by 80%. She has only 2 small whitehead near her eyebrows. That's it.

She hasn't had skin like this since she was in elementary school.

I would like to encourage anyone to try a product like Candizyme or Candex or another anti-candida supplement which has lots of "-ase" enzymes as ingredients, along with a course of powerful (over 5 billion units) of probiotics. Take the anti-candida supplements faithfully, as instructed (on an empty stomach with water) and reduce your intake of high-glycemic foods. Give your body a few weeks to adjust and the yeast and toxins to die off, the skin to clear. Fill the void left in your stomach with GOOD bacteria, also known as Probiotics.

Do a little bit of reading--start with Amazon for reviews of anti-candida products--and you will start to notice a pattern: a LOT of people comment on how their skin suddenly cleared when they began taking anti-candida supplements. Continue to search the web and you will be amazed at what you find.

Best wishes for clear skin.

Edited by kimanjo

Update for week 5: my daughter has 2 small pimples--one is going away, the other is ready to implode. That's it. Her red marks are all fading, there is no more acne.

She is continuing her daily regimen of yeast fighting (taking Candex or Candizyme, as directed) and probiotics in the form of Primal Defense RAW, or PB8, or Jarrow FemDophilis, rotating morning, evening, and nighttime.

She does nothing more than wash her face with Cetaphil now. No anti-acne products whatsoever. Diet is moderate, and she continues to eat grains, organic dairy, and eggs.

There are others on these boards who have done the same, using Pau d'Arco/Candex/Candzyme as a candida killer, and restoring internal health with POTENT probiotics. It seems that one has to attack from both sides: kill the candida AND fill the gut with healthy flora, probiotics.

The more I read, the more I am convinced that the candida overgrowth/probiotic deficiency [i.e. depleted immune system] is the cause of a majority of acne problems.

Thank you so much for writing down your story / the story of your daughter.

I am not sure if I have Candida (didn't test it) but I have a lot of symptoms of Candida, that's why I started a anti-candida-diet 3 weeks ago.

I also take grapefruit seed extract, oregano oil (but infrequently) and probiotics (acidophilus - 5 billion per day).

I have just ordered CandiZyme 90 capsules and will start using then once they arrive.

How many capsules of the Candex capsules does your daughter take per day?

Thanks in advance for your reply. :)

wow you are a fabulous mother!!! I can relate as I was that child of yours 31 years ago and I wish my mom did for me what you did..I hope my daughter does not experience my turmoil with my skin( shes 13 and showing no signs yet). My question to you is Was your daughter ever tested for Candida? I had a stool sample twice in the last six months and although I had been on Doxycyline on and off for 18months, they found no yeast overgrowth. I have always felt candida might be an issuse for me as I have rosacea as well and the orange peel texture to my skin too. I \'m 44 and hate the way i look. Ive changed my diet and take probiotics but never too candizyme or the other treatment you mentioned. Interestingly enought one thing that did come back on my stool test was a bacterial organism that was present in my large instestines and my naturopath suggested I up my dose of my Bifidofactor probiotic. My acidopholus levels were fine though. I 'd love any feedback you can offer.

i am doing this same routine currently and have been for about two weeks. and I have not seen great improvements, i do not know why,. i take candex, candiigone, and 13 billion ultimate probiotic (vitamin shoppe brand), mega acidophilis, and nutra flora fos, 2-3 times daily. (3 times in past 2 days). the candigone for 3 weeks now) i noticed a difference in clearness only when i first introduced the acidohpilis 5 weeks ago (i had been taking multivitamins too and anti-candida diet for long time).

but right now my skin is definitely breaking out. irritated and red and does not seem to be getting better. i dont know if this is simply the detoxing phase. or if it is me doing something bad to it that i shouldnt be doing. i dont know if it was.... something i ate recently; the salt water from being in the ocean today (for first time in 2 years), or because i'm too stressed out, or what i am doing topically to my skin (washing it and exposing it to air..

what i do to it topically is wash with just plain water, ice cold usually at least one per day. sometimes with ice cold salt water that i first dissolve the salt with) i have been doing this for some time-about 2 months, with a few other trial methods in between, but i think washing with cold/ice cold water everytime instead of an exfoliating method with chemical products has ot be better for it. an adequate maintenence of normal human skin. (again, there are many people that do this only and have NO acne at all), of all ages.

my face is also very dry now, which i think is the ocean water's effect on it (is it cleaning it out, i do not know). the diet has been very good for the most part, but again I dont know if i am eating too small meals or too large of meals, it seems like as long as you check your diet (from things like sweets) and take internal things to take care of the problem (anti-candida/yeast products), get regular exercise/lead a healthy lifestyle, it should improve it.

i see ppl everyday that eat whatever they want to and have perfectly clear skin, and no thinning hair. there has to be some way to internally or externally change the chemistry of your body to make it so it goes back to normal, like in those ppl's body is, whatever makes those other people's level normal, of whatever it is that keeps their skin clear, wether its probotiotics in the intenstines, or the things that happens to your skin topically ( being exposed to ocean water, or being outside a lot).

I have the same problem. Candida has taken over or took over years ago. I finally prayed like nobodies business and found the website. I'm currently on the Paleo diet, and waiting for my Probiotics and Fiber-3 to arrive so I can get rid of Candida. I think I'm going to purchase Candex and Candizyme. Why do you recommend both? Also, does your daughter eat all those products that caused acne regular now? Since going on the Paleo diet my acne has stopped, but I wouldn't mind having something sweet every once in a while.

Is anybody taking both Candex and Candizyme?

Thanks

I wanted to bring up a point. If you look up the ingredients in the enzyme based candida killers, they are exactly the same as those in popular digestive enzyme products such as Source Naturals brand essential enzymes. Wouldn't it be more cost effective just to use that instead?

Wow, I love reading success stories like that! So many topical products promise success, and maybe deliver a wee bit of relief, but getting to the heart of the matter--finding out what is causing the acne in the first place INSIDE, is so important. I went off Diane 35 after being on it for 13 years--a VERY long time--and I was so freaked out as to how my body would react. I hadn't read anything positive about going off of that product. But I'm 34, and it's time to start thinking about the future, and my health, so I knew it was time.

After 3 months, I started breaking out, my skin got more and more oily, and I broke out all over my back and chest as well as my face. It has been awful. I have an esthetician that I love going to, and she's helped me sort of keep things under control as best she can, but it's expensive. I had a food allergy blood test done, and eliminated ALL of the sensitivities I had, including all dairy, all gluten products, peanuts, almonds, pineapple, green beans, kidney beans, and eggs. Believe me, that's no easy feat. But I managed to find things that I do enjoy eating, that don't include those ingredients. I make my own gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free bread. I do most of my own cooking, instead of eating out. It has been a real adventure, that has most definitely been challenging. However, even removing all those inflammatory foods (for me), my skin did not get better!

So I went to a naturopath about a week ago, talked to her for an hour after filling out a very extensive health history, family health history form. It's amazing to me how we never have to fill those things out for a "real" doctor!! Anyway, she told me that since my skin was horrid as a teen, and the Diane helped so much, my acne definitely had its roots in a hormonal imbalance. So she had me do a saliva hormone test to get the results of my estrogen, testosterone, progesterone, and cortisol levels. Apparently saliva is much more accurate for getting hormone level results, compared to blood. Who knew? AND while we wait for those results, she has me on cod liver oil, a very potent liver support plus a great probiotic.

Now I do take other supplements, including a good multi, evening primrose oil, selenium, chromium, zinc, alpha lipoic acid, but I must admit in the one week since I've been taking these 3 additions, the skin on my torso has greatly improved!! I have never seen this kind of "healing" from any of the other things I've tried to do. My skin is still oily--it's only been a week! But if this is a sign of what is to come, I can't wait to see how much more it'll heal in a few weeks or months. I swear, I've tried many other probiotics from the health food store, but have NEVER seen or FELT the difference, as I do with this one. I haven't had any die-off effect yet, as I don't know if I have a candida problem or not, but this is definitely leading in the right direction.

Heal from the inside to take care of the outside, even if it doesn't happen overnight! I don't believe in "miracle potions"...because what works for one person, may not work for another. Every single body is different....acne comes from a different source. And we need to find what causes OUR problem and then work with that. What a process!! Definitely not an easy road, not at all.

Edited by Bonnybell

not to be an ahole here, but i hope this isnt a plug for free advertising, there are already enough scams and myths out there from manufacturers trying to sucker people into making them rich off there desperation like proactive.

either way, there may be some truth to this, i just hate it when people use brand names and havent been around here very long as a member, acne sufferers have been played like fools for years, my attitude is a natural one.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. Not trying to plug anything, just stating what I'm taking. I may be a newbie on the board, but I'm not a newbie to acne, and I do know what you're saying. I've tried everything too with little success. I will keep that in mind when I post in the future.

I love hearing stories like this!! That is amazing and I'm so happy that you finally found your answers. :D

I have one question for you.. did your daughter break out more as a result of the herxeimer reaction? Anytime I try to take something for candida be it coconut oil, probiotics etc. my skin goes CRAZY and breaks out in little pimples all over. Just wondering if this was also her reaction?

I tried anti candida. Zero sugar/carbs for about 4 months. Only eating fat/protein put me into a ketosis state, lost fat, was good.

Though it didn't cure me completely, it kinda got rid of 75% of the acne, but it never disappears. I took garlic, cat's claw, other stuff + probiotics. After ending the diet my acne didn't get worse or any better, so in the end candida wasn't the problem.