Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dotori

epiduo initial breakout?

Hi, this is my first post >.< i went to the dermatologist two weeks ago because i was breaking out badly on my cheeks (mostly clogged pores... like 1 or 2 cysts) anyways he prescribed me epiduo and doryx and OMFG, my cheeks are covered in cystic acne.... i'm going to cry seriously. i start school in a couple weeks and i started a new job where you have to look good so i'm stressing out. anyways, is this an initial breakout? or is my skin just reacting badly to the medication? i'm not sure..if it's an initial breakout, how long does it usually last? :redface:

Hey! I'm on week 5 of Epiduo. I lurk these forums occasionally, but I just created this account because I remember how awful the initial breakout was. If your breakout started recently and hasn't been happening since the day you started, it does sound like the IB.

I only use Epiduo, so I don't know what effects Doryx might be causing. My IB lasted about a week and I haven't read anything on the internet about an Epiduo IB lasting longer than 2 weeks, so it should be gone by the time your school year starts. Mine started around the beginning of week 2, peaked around day 12 and started to die by day 14. By the end of week 3 my skin looked like week 1 again, which is to say pretty blemished but under control. During the IB, I remember breaking out with cysts all over my cheeks and sprouting several huge, under-the-skin bumps on my forehead, which rarely gets zits.

My skin consistently improved since then, and it's not too far from clear right now. (Still really oily though... sigh.) I'd say to try to stick with it till the end of week 3; if you don't see any difference, contact your derm. No idea if it will help diminish the initial breakout, but last week I started spot treating in the mornings with Neutrogena On The Spot for the pimples I still have, and it seems to be helping a little.

Hi, this is my first post >.< i went to the dermatologist two weeks ago because i was breaking out badly on my cheeks (mostly clogged pores... like 1 or 2 cysts) anyways he prescribed me epiduo and doryx and OMFG, my cheeks are covered in cystic acne.... i'm going to cry seriously. i start school in a couple weeks and i started a new job where you have to look good so i'm stressing out. anyways, is this an initial breakout? or is my skin just reacting badly to the medication? i'm not sure..if it's an initial breakout, how long does it usually last? redface.gif

Hey!

I got Epiduo prescribed in May, and my doctor (not derm.) told me to use it for four weeks, I used it from May-August but I then stopped in August because I got sunburned (which I never get) pretty badly.

Epiduo did nothing good for me, but it really didn't do anything bad either. I'm going to a real derm. to get something that works prescribed for me.

I can't recall having a major breakout while on Epiduo though. It might be from something else in your regimen?

Dotori how many weeks till that bad breakout finally went away. Tonight will be night 18 of using and I'm ready for this to go awau no :( I hate it... I wanna cry