Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clairebear6292

Wisdom teeth removal (antibiotics and diet)

Hello all! Today I was lucky enough to spend the day getting my wisdom teeth out. Not as horrible as you might think but I've been extremely concerned about my diet (i.e. it must be soft foods) and the clindymcin I was prescribed. I hate the thought of killing my gut to save my teeth - or lack there of - but I was wondering if any of you all had some encouraging words about your experience concerning wisdom teeth removal and your diet. I've been getting friendly with my blender and tomorrow I think I am going to explore sweet potato fries. Any special delicous nutrient dense wisdom teeth recipes (low glycemic of course :)) I have finally begun to control my acne this way :D and don't plan on having my wisdom teeth recovery time period mess up my skin.

Also I am planning on taking probiotics 2xs a day in between my antibiotic - which I have to take every 6 hours so it will be tricky. And for a whole week! Ugh! Suggestions on this? Thanks all :D

Also I wouldn't mind any super encouraging speedy recovery stories about not swelling up and the like :wub:

Get a good probiotic and take ALOT of them. What has helped me the most recently has been taking large doses of probiotics. I hate to be the person to promoting megadosing but in a sense this isn't megadosing since your body is actually absorbing the probiotics, they're simply deposited in your gut. If you take too much you'll find your stoles are different or your bowels seem to be off. Not a big deal, it is a balancing act, you don't want too much bad bacteria but you also don't want too much of a certain type of good bacteria as it can push other strains of good bacteria out. So, Id recommend a probiotic with as many different strains as possible and taking a lot. i realize thats kind of vague but there are different amounts per pill per brand. I take about five to seven (the bottle recommends 2) at night before I go to bed. I've found that its the best time for me to take them, for a while i was setting my alarm for 3 am, waking up and taking them then. But I found that taking them right before bed as long as i haven't recently eaten anything is just as good. If I over do it Ill often have looser stoles the next day. Then I know to cut back or take some l-glutamine the next night. Best of luck! And be thankful you're on an antibiotic, when Im on them its practically impossible for me to break out. Also, the antibiotic will be good if you have any bad bacteria inhabiting your gut. Just remember lots of probiotics.

Im about to go through this aswell. Im thinking of just taking a bunch of probiotics and possibly eating some fermented veggitables or something.

Also how much did it run you with or without insurance. Im uninsured and know its going to hurt my wallet...alot

Hi Chris, with insurance it was a 40 dollar copay (10 bucks a tooth :)) I'm not sure what type of insurance we do have as we've been switiching alot lately. But I think without the insurance its like 400 :/

Don't quote me on that though could be less. Not too sure. Good luck!

And for those who might be in a similar or upcoming situation and are looking for healthy "low glycemic" soft foods here's what I've done so far:

Fish oil pills - super antiinflammatory: good for both acne and swelling :D

Cage free scrambled eggs in coconut oil

Greek yogurt - I wouldn't recommend this as I don't eat dairy - except for this one exception

GREEN smoothies!!!

soaked overnight oats and mashed up blueberries

teas

ice cream made with coconut milk (watch the sugar!)

Amy's organic soups. Yesterday I had the lentil one and it was delish! Just mushy enough.

I'm also on antibiotics (ulcer). It's fine to take probiotics while on antibiotics. Doctors recommend taking them 3 hours after taking antibiotics. That way the antibiotics have passed the stomach. Taking them at the same time will kill off the probiotics. Its recommended to take a minimum of 10 billion cfus and to have as many different strains as possible. I'm using Nature's Way Optima Primadophilis. It is 35 billion cfus and 14 different strains. No problems GI problems at all. When you buy probiotics, test it by putting 2-4 capsules in about 1/3 cup of milk and let it sit overnight on a counter. If it is yogurt like the next morning, the strains are still alive. If it still looks like milk, the strains are dead. Take it back to the store and get your money back. Also important is to keep the probiotics in the fridge, even if it hasn't been opened yet.

At IHerb, you can order them for cheaper than getting them at the store, including the shipping. They also send it in a cooler with gel ice packs.

I don't understand why every 6 hours for the antibiotics, seems excessive. I had my teeth pulled last year and it was only 2x a day. I ate alot of coconut milk ice cream and soups that I made myself. Just simmer a bunch of your favorite soft veggies in some broth for 20-45 minutes. I added brown rice. 5 minutes before the soup was done I added spinach, the tougher greens you'd want to cook them a little longer.

Hi Chris, with insurance it was a 40 dollar copay (10 bucks a tooth :)) I'm not sure what type of insurance we do have as we've been switiching alot lately. But I think without the insurance its like 400 :/

Don't quote me on that though could be less. Not too sure. Good luck!

And for those who might be in a similar or upcoming situation and are looking for healthy "low glycemic" soft foods here's what I've done so far:

Fish oil pills - super antiinflammatory: good for both acne and swelling :D

Cage free scrambled eggs in coconut oil

Greek yogurt - I wouldn't recommend this as I don't eat dairy - except for this one exception

GREEN smoothies!!!

soaked overnight oats and mashed up blueberries

teas

ice cream made with coconut milk (watch the sugar!)

Amy's organic soups. Yesterday I had the lentil one and it was delish! Just mushy enough.

Also, sweet potatoes--baked, mashed, made into a curry or soup. And homemade veggie or bean soups. Get some baby spinach or frozen spinach to add to soups, curry, etc.