Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scar Tissue That I Wish You Saw. - New Photos!

You just happen to be in the Plastic Surgery center of the world in Brazil. You look like a good candidate for Fraxel Re:pair, and you have a world of choices in Brazil.

Why do you say that? Thanks for the reply.

I just saw your most recent pictures, and I literally have the EXACT same scars as you. They are really only visible if i tilt my head upwards and the light casts a shadow in the indentations.

I was wondering what kind of scars these are as well, and what can be done about htem?

And is there any chance of them healing on ntheir own?

Yeah, they blow.

You are really borderline between regular CO2 and Re:Pair.

Okay. I may look into that more. I just am somewhat iffy on the whole laser thing. I have read so many negative articles, not to mention that I didn't see a great rating on lasers on Realself.

That being said, do you think that a laser such as CO2 would help there scars in a significant way? These look like rolling scars to me and I don't know much about lasers and rolling scars.

Regular CO2 works better on more superficial scars and Re:Pair penetrates deeper. They both are ablative. A whole lot of the negative comments about lasers comes from the non-ablative side. People cannot differentiate between Re:store and Re:pair, and a lot of the blame belongs on Reliant Fraxel for using such similiar names. Re:pair has a 59% approval rating and I am willing to bet the majority of those voters only had one treatment. It was between my first and second treatment that I realized the greatest improvement. Re:pair is hyped as a "one and done" treatment but for acne scars that simply is not true. Your case seems rather mild so you may get away with just 2 treatments. The depth of you scars determines your treatment. CO2 ablates up to .2mm whereas Re:pair can go 1-1.4mm. Only because of fractionalizing the laser is this possible. I had much more intense swelling from Re:pair than I did from CO2 with my first Re:pair. Subsequent Re:pairs have been much easier.

Edited by DudleyDoRight

Hi Pord,

I just wanted to let you know that you have absolutely beautiful skin. I think the best thing that you could do for it is to remove yourself from this board and just keep using Retin-A for the next couple of years.

Do not do Fraxel Repair on your finely textured skin. All the complaints that I have seen from laser have come from beautifully fine skin like you have. You may get a noticeably different texture.

If in a couple of years you decide you still want to do anything, try a non-ablative laser. My daughter has worse scarring than you and she has had an amazing response to a test spot she had a month ago. She also has superfine skin. The dermatologist even turned down the energy to 25 mj in order to be safe with her and she still got great results. I'm not saying that's typical, but nobody knows how their individual skin will react to Fraxel Restore until they try it.

I have a friend who is in her forties, and she told me she had deeply pitted acne scars when she was my daughter's age...she says worse than my daughter. And you can not tell she had scarring. Some people just heal really nicely.

Please do not do anything to harm your lovely skin. The scarring is barely noticeable and is sure to get better with time and Retin-A.

I certainly advocate the use of Retin-A, but scarring does not improve with time, only with treatment. By the way what is the highest % of Retin-A that anybody is using?

Edited by DudleyDoRight

I certainly advocate the use of Retin-A, but scarring does not improve with time, only with treatment. By the way what is the highest % of Retin-A that anybody is using?

I am using the Retin-A micro gel 0.1%.

Edited by Guest

Thanks that is just what I was thinking about ordering.

If you don't mind my asking; why are you ordering it?

Thanks again for the reply.

Because only 3 things have been proven to effect the skin in a positive way Retin-A, Lasers and I cannot remember the third.

Because only 3 things have been proven to effect the skin in a positive way Retin-A, Lasers and I cannot remember the third.

Rolling maybe?

Rolling maybe?

No, it may have been hyalaronic acid, but it was certainly not rolling. I am not one of those guys who try to minimize your scarring. Although I personally believe you have a minimal problem, it is not minimal in your eyes. I don't suggest voodoo treatments. At one time I believed rolling held promise because the concept was similiar to fractionalized lazer with one big exception - the ablative effect. I don't know what effect the retin-a will have on scars, but it has been proven to help in diminishing small lines. I can't tell by pictures how deep you scars are so it is vitally important to contact a doctor who offers both the regular CO2 and the Ablative Fractionalized CO2. If the doctor does not offer both then he will only recommend what he has, and that may not be in your best interest.

Edited by DudleyDoRight

Rolling maybe?

No, it may have been hyalaronic acid, but it was certainly not rolling. I am not one of those guys who try to minimize your scarring. Although I personally believe you have a minimal problem, it is not minimal in your eyes. I don't suggest voodoo treatments. At one time I believed rolling held promise because the concept was similiar to fractionalized lazer with one big exception - the ablative effect. I don't know what effect the retin-a will have on scars, but it has been proven to help in diminishing small lines. I can't tell by pictures how deep you scars are so it is vitally important to contact a doctor who offers both the regular CO2 and the Ablative Fractionalized CO2. If the doctor does not offer both then he will only recommend what he has, and that may not be in your best interest.

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by the text in bold?

Also, I hope you don't mind my asking; what is the difference between these two types of CO2 lasers?

Thanks.

Rolling maybe?

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by the text in bold?

Also, I hope you don't mind my asking; what is the difference between these two types of CO2 lasers?

Thanks.

The text that you bolded refers to people who tell you that you have no problem when you fully believe that you do so in your mind it is a bigger problem than other may consider it to be. It is the same as an overweight person whose parents keep telling that they have no problem. I believe you are a lot better off than a lot of people, but my opinion does not change your view of yourself, and you are who you must please.

I love this simple explanation of the difference in the lasers. http://www.zimbio.com/Boston+Medical+Spa/articles/39/Understanding+Fraxel+Repair+Lumenis+Bridge Regular CO2 only ablates up to .2mm, and this may be all that you need because you scars do not look too deep. Ablative Fractionalized CO2 penetrates deeper. Re:pair advertises up to 1.4mm and is move intended for deeper scars. That is why I suggested you find a doctor who offers both. This girl needed Ablative Fractionalized laser.

She will need at least 4-5 laser treatments to achieve optimal results.

Wow, her results are amazing!

Isn't she pretty! I love to use her to prove what I have been preaching. You can see the improvement, but she will need 3-4 more laser treatments. I got her to post one time on here, but she hasn't been back. I would love to talk to her about treatment levels. DeepFX is the same technology as Fraxel Re:pair, but I believe Re:pair has a superior delivery method. I believe 17.5 mj FX is about the same as 70 mj Re:pair. If anybody can find the explanations by SanJoseSkin he does a great job of explaining all this.

If I went this route how much mj would I probably need based off of the photos?

I know that a derm would have to tell me, but I'd like to know what you think.

Also, are the results permanent or is it something that has to be done yearly?

SanJoseSkin was the one who posted the best explanations. I was actually able to pull up the thread with his explanations. http://www.acne.org/...19#entry2825619 His understanding is much more advanced than mine. 70mj is the maximum setting for Re:pair. The question that only a doctor can answer is what you need. The depth of your scars looks minimal so regular CO2 ablating to .2mm may be all that you ever need. If you have any scars like Danielle you would have to look at more penetration and multiple lasers. The effects are permanent, but wherever you stop is where you will remain and aging will make the scars look worse. I have had 5 re:pairs and at $800 a treatment (my first laser was $5,000) I am considering it as a yearly maintenance regimen. I heal so fast now that I was out in public within a few days.

Edited by DudleyDoRight

SanJoseSkin was the one who posted the best explanations. I was actually able to pull up the thread with his explanations. http://www.acne.org/...19#entry2825619 His understanding is much more advanced than mine. 70mj is the maximum setting for Re:pair. The question that only a doctor can answer is what you need. The depth of your scars looks minimal so regular CO2 ablating to .2mm may be all that you ever need. If you have any scars like Danielle you would have to look at more penetration and multiple lasers. The effects are permanent, but wherever you stop is where you will remain and aging will make the scars look worse. I have had 5 re:pairs and at $800 a treatment (my first laser was $5,000) I am considering it as a yearly maintenance regimen. I heal so fast now that I was out in public within a few days.

Thanks for the explanation.

Hogwash!! Some people just thrive on being negative, and way too many people are influenced by them. One off hand comment like his will make people deny what they can see with their own eyes. It is an amazing fact that people can be lead by false lie and ignore true medical studies. The lastest incarnation of this was the innoculation madness created by falsified studies in England and supported by Oprah Winfrey and Jenny McCarthy. Immunizations do not cause autism! The doctor who did the falsified studies in England has had his license revoked, but he is still lecturing in the US supported by Winfrey and McCarthy. The was a huge outbreak of whooping cough in California because people bought into this lie and it was supported by the Goddess Oprah Winfrey.

The only thing that semi scares me about Retin-A is the fact that a lot of people claim that it gave them scars. Or they say that it thinned the skin out to the point that it made their skin prone to scar easily. Is there any real information based on this? It is making me somewhat hesitant to use the Retin-A, especially post Accutane.

Thanks.

Always go to true medical studies. I discovered some complications that have me reconsidering trying Retin-A, but I will have to look into it further. I do not have acne so that was not my intent so I may have to look at lower concentration. The amount contained in non-pharmaceutical over the conter products is useless.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/retin-a.html