Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay so here's the story.. I'm 21 years old, I'm a male and I would definitely say I have mild acne.

My whole problem is my oily skin!

I never really get any pimples on my cheeks or chin.. hardly ever, I'm past the hormonal stage of acne I do believe.

My skin gets really really oily throughout the day, some people ask me why I'm sweating and it's pretty embarrassing. The only acne I ever really get is on my forehead and it is usually just whiteheads scattered here and there.

I workout almost every single day, take vitamins, drink TONS of water, and eat as healthy as possible.. anything organic is a yes for me.. even if it tastes horrible. I'm a health freak I guess you could say.

As far as a regimen goes I've done my research. I don't wash my face with any soap at all just water and I recently quit using BP and moved on to tea tree oil. I've tried the whole caveman regimen and it worked fine for a couple of days and then I'd start to get blocked pores from so much oil.

Basically, my question is, what can I do to significantly reduce the amount of sebum my face produces? In the most natural way possible too. I blot my face throughout the day with paper towels but my skin just gets oily right afterwards.

I had the exact same problem as you. You know what helped me get rid of that feeling of grease on my face all the time? Zinc and eggs! :)

Try doing what I did:

- Take 2 tablets of 50mg of zinc everyday, but only after a big meal because you will experience feeling you're about to throw up. Never take it on an empty stomach - trust me! After one week, I saw a huge difference - my face was not oily as much as it used to be. I don't have to blot my face anymore with those blotting sheets.

- You can also use eggs. Seperate the yolk from the whites. Beat the whites a little, and then put it on your face like a mask. Wait until you can't move your mouth and rinse it off. Do the same with the yolk. Do this maybe 2-3 times a week.

Maybe this method will help you?

Hey man, I have the exact same problem as you. I also have the same "health" habits(minus organic.. I realized I was going too far at that point after a while ;P), and my skin gets really oily soon after showering. I also don't break out anywhere except my forehead and temples(though mostly my temples). Absolutely nothing on my cheeks or chin unless I let it grow too much and then decide to shave(which is prob instead just caused by an ingrown hair anyway). To be honest, on certain complexions, oily skin actually looks BETTER(as mine is still oily... just minus acne now ;P) than dry. For me, nothing worked and I had tried literally everything I could think of for 2 years. When I finally went to the derm, I got some antibiotics and it completely made me stop breaking out(I get an occasional once every week or 2 but if I pop it, it goes away soon!). Unfortunately, I'm sure if I got off of antibiotics I'm sure it'll go back to normal so my derm is thinking since I'm not comfortable with taking antibiotics for more than 6 months- a year that accutane helps. It might not be the most natural cure but the way it works is to fix the exact problem we have that causes acne(sebum production). There won't be too much that will regulate it... you can try eating smaller meals and maybe working out much more intensely but less often since lifting more than 4x a week can cause your testosterone to go out o whack(not to mention I've noticed better results putting in 1 and a half hrs at high intensity 3x a week vs 40 mins 5x a week). Good luck man, what works for me might not work for you but hopefully it helps.

Edited by robiii

I had excessive oil and I started taking fish oil and it went away.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I went out yesterday and got some chelated zinc and I am taking 60 mg a day.. gonna see how that works out.

I have fish oil.. gonna have to start taking that again too. I have just about any type of vitamin you can think of haha.

Also with the tea tree oil.. whenever I use it I notice my face is completely wiped out of oil.. isn't that bad for your skin? It usually stays that way for like an hour and a half and starts getting shiny!

It doesn't over dry my skin at all, no redness or irritation, just little bumps/blackheads on my forehead that seem to stick around forever.