Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
missmissy

Very oily and Adult Acne at 31! Help!

Maybe someone can help as I have a few questions...

At the age of 31 (this all started 9 months ago) I got my first pimple in my life! After that it has all been going downhill. I have become extremely oily and keep breaking out on my face and top of my back. On top of it all, I've noticed this past month that my thick long hair is shedding and I feel like I'm loosing a lot of hair. Also I would imagine it is androgen related, however my hormone tests are normal and my ultra sound came back with no cysts.

So could this be that my body has developed a sensitivity to testosterone? And if so, do your hormones regulate and go back to normal if I don't take medication? Is this forever. The reason why I ask is because most people I read about on acne.org seem to have been battling acne since their teens or earlier and it followed them to adulthood. But I have had perfect skin up until this year. How is this possible???

As a background, I was on alesse for 2 years from 2006-2008 so I doubt that could have caused this. Also, I never really was a milk drinker and have a fairly healthy diet. Please help me! This is destroying my life! Has anyone fixed this permanently or do all the people that have been cured leave this site?

Hi Missmissy

Even if you think your diet is healthy it might be worth getting it checked out to see if you have been deficient in vitamins or minerals which are causing the hair loss and fairly sudden onset of acne. Are you vegetarian or a meat eater? Do you get enough essential fatty acids etc.

However, on the subject of oilyness and blemishes, I urge you to try a 15ml sample bottle of Estee lauder pore refining serum (turquoise colour bottle). If it works for you like it has for me the result will be obvious after the first or second application. I have had really oily skin sice I was 13 (now 33, I have had minimal shine all day every day since I started using it (I apply morning and evening) and it is transforming my pores and overall skin quality. You can apply makeup on top, just make sure it isn't something you have to buff on as it can rub the product off. Estee lauder doublewear powder foundation works great for me because I can pat it with a flat topped kabuki on with minimal blending. It also doesn't separate throughout the day.

Try patting a layer of sudocreme directly onto new and healing blemishes at night too. The high zinc content really helps to heal them better than any other blemish treatment I've tried.

Together these two products are curing my skin of some awful breakouts due to unwise product choices. For reference I use Simple kind to skin moisturising facial wash am/pm too because I don't then need a moisturiser, just the serum. I suspect a moisturiser would negate the mattifying effect too.

Please give them a go even if just for a week, I think you'll see and feel a difference.

At the age of 31 (this all started 9 months ago) I got my first pimple in my life! After that it has all been going downhill. I have become extremely oily and keep breaking out on my face and top of my back. On top of it all, I've noticed this past month that my thick long hair is shedding and I feel like I'm loosing a lot of hair. Also I would imagine it is androgen related, however my hormone tests are normal and my ultra sound came back with no cysts.

So could this be that my body has developed a sensitivity to testosterone? And if so, do your hormones regulate and go back to normal if I don't take medication? Is this forever. The reason why I ask is because most people I read about on acne.org seem to have been battling acne since their teens or earlier and it followed them to adulthood. But I have had perfect skin up until this year. How is this possible???

As a background, I was on alesse for 2 years from 2006-2008 so I doubt that could have caused this. Also, I never really was a milk drinker and have a fairly healthy diet. Please help me! This is destroying my life! Has anyone fixed this permanently or do all the people that have been cured leave this site?

What are you currently doing to your face?

Thanks so much for your quick response Fudgefly : )))) I am not a vegetarian. Just eat like a normal person and don't eat fast food really.

I will definitely try your tips but i'm telling you i've tried about everything in the past 9 months. I have probably spent $3,000 at the drug store trying to get rid of pimples, black and whiteheads and the extreme oiliness.

Is this hormonal? Am I going through perimenopause? How and why do you get a androgen sensitivity all of a sudden? So confused and scared

So you are using topicals and face soaps?

When you got your first pimple did you immediately go out and buy face wash and topicals or did you always use them before? The same ones?

I used Dove soap all my life. Then at 28 I got bumps on my cheeks and my doctor gave me clindoxly gel which is benzoyl peroxide and anti biotics topically I think. I used it on and off for the past 3 years.

I think my problem is hormonal but my hormone test are normal....if that makes sense. My face, scalp and top of my back are extremely oily. And I don't think the pimples are going to stop unless the extreme oil does.

I am honestly terrified but what is happening to me. Acne, oiliness, hair loss on scalp.

Have you ever thought it could be the soap causing this? Many people are allergic to SLS and or surfectants (google it!). Soap might be your problem. And I know you might say well why is it happening now, IDK. But I know that my allergies never started until I was older as well, I am allergic to gluten.

Here is what cured me after 4 years of acne:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/cure-acne-t303211.html

Just something to consider and research on your own.

Edited by freeliving

I don't know why you would have a sudden onset of what seems to be hormonal problems, but I know mine have always been hormonal. Thanks to mother nature I got my first zit and period together and it has caused me absolute misery since. Sugar plays a major role for me too. I crave it like mad but just a lttle too much and I breakout badly. I had a look on the internet and there are so many possibilities for the cause of your symptoms. Were/are you under alot of stress at work or home? Is the hair shedding patchy and really obvious to others or does your hair just feel a bit thinner than it used to? I always had thick hair but now I'm in my 30's I definately lose more than I used to every time I wash it, yet my hairdresser still says it's thick compared to most people.

Like you I have tried so many products and spent so much money, and I know alot of different products agravated my skin causing the problems to go on and on. Could your skin be reacting to too many of the wrong things? Do you use makeup ? If your skin has changed due to body/hormone changes, what you were able to use on clear skin may be totally innapropriate now you're oily.

Let me know if you have success with the Estee Lauder pore refining serum because you are right, eliminating the oilyness makes a big difference to breakouts and skin texture.

Thanks so much for your quick response Fudgefly : )))) I am not a vegetarian. Just eat like a normal person and don't eat fast food really.

I will definitely try your tips but i'm telling you i've tried about everything in the past 9 months. I have probably spent $3,000 at the drug store trying to get rid of pimples, black and whiteheads and the extreme oiliness.

Is this hormonal? Am I going through perimenopause? How and why do you get a androgen sensitivity all of a sudden? So confused and scared

Hey FudgeFly,

Yes I had a lot of stress last year and the beginning of this year in all parts of of my life...career and relationship.

I went to the dermatologist to get blood results again. And all hormone levels were normal. However, I have a very low ferritin level (iron). And he gave me a prescription for iron to take for 4 months. Don't know if this caused my problems...but I doubt it.

I asked him for spironoloctone and he said he's not going to give it to me. He was really being unattentive and just wanted to get out of the room because he had 10 other patients waiting.