Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello :)

I'm very excited because this is my first post here(i'm brand new member). Even though I`ve been reading this forum for one year and I find you very supportive. It is really great that there is such a big forum with people who share my problems.

First of all I still have an acne, but it is better than it was before. I'm still fighting with it, i'm using tretinoine because I have comedones which sometimes cause inflammations. I really hope that I'll get rid of them, because I want to start a scar treatment in the end...

I have a lot of scars, some of them are small, but others are big and very depressing(they are rolling scars). My face looks awful if the light is a kind of "bad". I also have a lot of spots and my skin is red because of the tretinoine. I tried to take some photos, so you could see what i'm talking about.

This is my worse right cheek:

post-157529-1315218611_thumb.jpg

post-157529-1315218635_thumb.jpg

Left cheek:

post-157529-1315218658_thumb.jpg

I had appointment with new derm 2-3 weeks ago. She said that I don`t have to worry about my scars(in her opinion they are not that deep) and once my acne is gone she could treat them with fraxional laser. When i asked for before-after photos she gave me a silly explanation. They pretend to be the best laser center with the best lasers and physicians in my country, how is it possible not to have before-after pics? Another thing which puzzled me, she said that usually two procedures are necessary, but sometimes even one is enough. As far as I know the fraxional lasers usually need 3 procedures to take effect.

I visited one of the most popular derms in my country and each of them proposed me laser. None of the even mentioned subcision, which seems to work for scars like mine. I'm not sure if someone in my country even performs this kind of treatment... :(

I know that the decision whether to try laser or not is hard. I'm starting with my research now.

I have some strange small scars all over my cheeks. They are white and look like very very small keloids(or something similar). It seems that my skin is prone to form them. Here is a photo where you could see them:

post-157529-1315218648_thumb.jpg

Does someone of you have them? Do you think If it`s safe to treat them with laser? If yes, do you think they will respond well?

Aside the lasers what kind of treatment is suitable for me?

Comments are welcome. Thank you :)

REALITY CHECK...

Your scars are really not bad at all. Many people here (me including) would die to have your skin.

You should talk to the member: Timehealsall , he seems to have the same issues as you have.

If you want to do something for your skin. Start dermarolling or fraxel re:store. Anything else is not worth the risk for these "scars".

A year of retin-a or tretinoin would probably make them disappear since your scars are so superficial. Barely noticeable, so have heart! They'll be very easy to treat.

REALITY CHECK...

Your scars are really not bad at all. Many people here (me including) would die to have your skin.

You should talk to the member: Timehealsall , he seems to have the same issues as you have.

If you want to do something for your skin. Start dermarolling or fraxel re:store. Anything else is not worth the risk for these "scars".

REALITY CHECK --- Just because his level of scarring is not as severe as yours does not mean he doesn't have scarring or that his desire to improve his scars is any less valid than your desire to improve your scars.

REALITY CHECK --- This is not called the "SEVERE Scar" forum.

OP, the tretinoin will improve the appearance of the scars, but I really don't think it will help significantly with the indented appearance. Your skin tone looks good on the rest of your face, however. You need to get your acne under control before treating the scars!

REALITY CHECK --- Just because his level of scarring is not as severe as yours does not mean he doesn't have scarring or that his desire to improve his scars is any less valid than your desire to improve your scars.

REALITY CHECK --- This is not called the "SEVERE Scar" forum.

I agree that this isn't just a severe scarring forum. But a lot of the scar revision methods discussed here cost a lot of money and often have adverse side effects.

I think it's helpful to remind people with minor scarring not to feel like they need they need to do anything drastic.

I believe Mr' Dons advice was blunt and truthful especially in light of the OP's belief that his scars are "big and very depressing."

Op you scarring isn't that bad. Once the redmarks go away you really only have one patch of mild-moderate scarring (the area shown in your first picture). I would first try dermarolling that area before opting for laser treatment. I didn't find lasers to be very effective for my rolling scars. But my rolling scars are deeper than yours. I think rolling is atleast as effective, if not more effective, than the mild non-ablative fractional lasers.

Roll yourself but it's very important to read up on it first. If not, have it done professionally. It should be cheaper than the laser.

@ pogo:

You're absolutely right about my intention.

When I read this: "I have a lot of scars, some of them are small, but others are big and very depressing(they are rolling scars). My face looks awful if the light is a kind of "bad"."

and saw the pics I somehow just wanted to save him from getting obsessed like other people here have got. Because there is really nothing to be obsessed about.

Of course this forum is not only for people with severe scars. But in case if I see someone describing his scars which are at least mild as if they were very severe, I think it's better to not support their obsession.

@ Nicky:

I also really believe your scars can be improved alot with tretinoin. So don't worry about them. Just have a little patience and don't let doctors talk you into lasers.

Edited by Mr.Don

Hey thanks for expressing you opinion about my issue. Probably you are right that I'm a bit negative about my condition, may be the problem is in my brain... I know I should change my mind-set but it seems it isn`t that easy.

I don`t expect perfect skin. But I'll be very happy if I manage to improve my scars(indented once) and overall skin appearance. I really want something reasonably safe, just as you said.

I'm going to do a research about dermaroller, it isn`t very popular here(like many other things :( ).

I also plan to hear other derms advice before undergo anything.

I found that the greatest clinics in my town use either Lumenis Active FX or It is strange that we don`t have physicians who work with Fraxel.

Do you think if they are quality lasers? Is it safer to start with a laser procedure with lower settings and then to have the next procedures as it should be.

I'm still concerned about these small white scars... I expected that more people have them. I'm going to message Timehealsall, I hope he can help with some advice.

Thank you very much!

It's probably a good idea to mail timehealsall. He always claimed to have some kind of small scars all over his cheeks. Just like in your case they weren't really visible on pictures.

Of course you could have a laser treatment done. But complications are always possible. Also it might not really give you much improvement but cost you a lot of money.

If I were you, I would just stick with tretinoin and maybe dermarolling for a year or so and see what happens. If you don't get the improvement you desire after that period of time you can still go for laser.

I agree that this isn't just a severe scarring forum. But a lot of the scar revision methods discussed here cost a lot of money and often have adverse side effects.

I think it's helpful to remind people with minor scarring not to feel like they need they need to do anything drastic.

I believe Mr' Dons advice was blunt and truthful especially in light of the OP's belief that his scars are "big and very depressing."

that quote is slightly out of context: OP said that "some of them are small, but others are big and very depressing." First, it sounds as if OP was describing some scars as bigger than others. Second, some of those scars ARE big! There may not be many of them, but I can't imagine individual scars get much bigger. No disrespect to OP, but if I had scars like that, I would try to have them corrected with more aggressive treatments as well.

Describing those as "scars" (with the quotation marks) is ridiculously as they are visible. I'm not sure if Mr. Don's objective with that statement was to try and convince OP that he actually doesn't have any scarring at all?

Anyway, I just see a lot of posters jump on those of us with minor scarring just because we want improvement. Maybe I was too quick to go after Mr Don myself....his advice to OP is reasonable.

Hello :)

I'm very excited because this is my first post here(i'm brand new member). Even though I`ve been reading this forum for one year and I find you very supportive. It is really great that there is such a big forum with people who share my problems.

First of all I still have an acne, but it is better than it was before. I'm still fighting with it, i'm using tretinoine because I have comedones which sometimes cause inflammations. I really hope that I'll get rid of them, because I want to start a scar treatment in the end...

I have a lot of scars, some of them are small, but others are big and very depressing(they are rolling scars). My face looks awful if the light is a kind of "bad". I also have a lot of spots and my skin is red because of the tretinoine. I tried to take some photos, so you could see what i'm talking about.

This is my worse right cheek:

Left cheek:

I had appointment with new derm 2-3 weeks ago. She said that I don`t have to worry about my scars(in her opinion they are not that deep) and once my acne is gone she could treat them with fraxional laser. When i asked for before-after photos she gave me a silly explanation. They pretend to be the best laser center with the best lasers and physicians in my country, how is it possible not to have before-after pics? Another thing which puzzled me, she said that usually two procedures are necessary, but sometimes even one is enough. As far as I know the fraxional lasers usually need 3 procedures to take effect.

I visited one of the most popular derms in my country and each of them proposed me laser. None of the even mentioned subcision, which seems to work for scars like mine. I'm not sure if someone in my country even performs this kind of treatment... :(

I know that the decision whether to try laser or not is hard. I'm starting with my research now.

I have some strange small scars all over my cheeks. They are white and look like very very small keloids(or something similar). It seems that my skin is prone to form them. Here is a photo where you could see them:

Does someone of you have them? Do you think If it`s safe to treat them with laser? If yes, do you think they will respond well?

Aside the lasers what kind of treatment is suitable for me?

Comments are welcome. Thank you :)

She didn't show you before and after photos because laser treatment generally just makes scars worse, if I were you I would get collagen fillers injected into my skin to fill in the scars, also there are like zero draw backs or risks for fillers compared to the horrible dreaded lasers.

Anyway, I just see a lot of posters jump on those of us with minor scarring just because we want improvement. Maybe I was too quick to go after Mr Don myself....his advice to OP is reasonable.

Guest Timehealsall

hey so you messaged me asking about your scars. Minus the rolling scars, i am beginning to think those white bumps are not scars at all.

Let me ask you a few things:

1) do you get these white bumps ONLY after a pimple has healed in that area? If that is the case, than it probably is a scar

2) do you have flaking/dead skin on your face? I am talking very noticeable flaking and or dead skin

I went to a derm recently and he claimed what i had was some fibrous tissue or another form of acne. He thinks accutane can take care of it.

hey so you messaged me asking about your scars. Minus the rolling scars, i am beginning to think those white bumps are not scars at all.

1) do you get these white bumps ONLY after a pimple has healed in that area? If that is the case, than it probably is a scar

2) do you have flaking/dead skin on your face? I am talking very noticeable flaking and or dead skin

I went to a derm recently and he claimed what i had was some fibrous tissue or another form of acne. He thinks accutane can take care of it.

10x for the fast reply!

The answer of the first question is yes. But I don`t have flaking or dead skin on my face.

I'm sure they are scars, because some of them are old. I'm not sure if it i'm paranoid or some of them appear from nothing(or at least nothing serious). That`s why I'm worried about them. And if I form them easily, it might be impediment for treating the other more noticeable scars(I hope its not).

My scars are similar to his, I just have more of it and on my forehead as well. I've had them since i was 16. I didn't feel it changed much when i got older. Im 31 now. Its probably improved because of topicals, peels etc., but on its own? Definitely didn't feel like it.

I wouldn't do anything risky (ex laser) if I were you. Dermaroll and LED therapy are cheap and effective solutions for you right now.

@softly_softly i'm 23

@jackiey probably they are a bit raised, but almost unnoticeable.

@Roller

I read about LED therapy, but it works only for the redness. Don`t understand me wrong i'll definitely need something like that, but first i want to smooth my skin.

Does dermaroller work for bigger rolling scars? They are the first thing I want to address. In my opinion subcision will do the job, but as i said I'm not sure if it is available here(i'm going to find out soon). Is subcision safe procedure? Is it safer than factional lasers?

I see that most of you are very negative about lasers. Actually this puzzled me, because all the articles and doctors claim that fractional lasers are safe. Is that a nasty lie? I have white skin and if i don`t have the procedure done at very high settings, is it still so risky? I'm asking you because "laser treatment generally just makes scars worse" sounds like more than 50% chance for complications?

Edited by -Nicky-

@softly_softly i'm 23

@jackiey probably they are a bit raised, but almost unnoticeable.

@Roller

I read about LED therapy, but it works only for the redness. Don`t understand me wrong i'll definitely need something like that, but first i want to smooth my skin.

Does dermaroller work for bigger rolling scars? They are the first thing I want to address. In my opinion subcision will do the job, but as i said I'm not sure if it is available here(i'm going to find out soon). Is subcision safe procedure? Is it safer than factional lasers?

I see that most of you are very negative about lasers. Actually this puzzled me, because all the articles and doctors claim that fractional lasers are safe. Is that a nasty lie? I have white skin and if i don`t have the procedure done at very high settings, is it still so risky? I'm asking you because "laser treatment generally just makes scars worse" sounds like more than 50% chance for complications?

I was hesitant of subcision but went ahead with it because there was no other options for me. I am glad I did, after three subcisions I can tell you its very safe form my experience. I'm not sure if every doctor has the same experience and skill, so I cannot say 100%, but in my experience I found it to be much better than I anticipated. It wont level your skin completely, but it will help with multiple treatments. Many people combine subcision with other treatments to enhance the outcome.

Is it safer than laser? I don't know if there is an answer to that. Its personal opinion. I think so, because its not heating the skin and burning the surface. Of course fractional laser will be much less invasive than other lasers because its only affecting a fraction of the surface of your skin. Laser isn't going to do anything for your roller scar. MAYBE if you combine it with subcision, but alone i dont think so.

Guest Timehealsall

10x for the fast reply!

The answer of the first question is yes. But I don`t have flaking or dead skin on my face.

I'm sure they are scars, because some of them are old. I'm not sure if it i'm paranoid or some of them appear from nothing(or at least nothing serious). That`s why I'm worried about them. And if I form them easily, it might be impediment for treating the other more noticeable scars(I hope its not).

so these only form after an acne lesion has healed? Than our cases is different. Because i get these things in areas i rarely ever get acne, or i never had acne.

Guest Timehealsall
How old are you? If you're still a teenager there's a reasonable chance scarring that mild will just disappear by the time you hit your early twenties.

doubt it

I love how when someone posts a thread about how their scarring bothers them and supplies pics showing that their scarring "isn't so bad", everybody has a Masters degree in Psychology, all of a sudden. I constantly see this and finally decided to drop my 2 cents.

Granted, there is far worst scarring than the one the OP suffers from - but scarring is scarring, regardless. Depending on the person, light scarring will bother or even depress them, like severe scarring bothers and depresses many on this forum; not everyone is built the same way. If the solution for the OP is to constantly remind themselves that at-least their scarring isn't severe, then does this mean that the solution for those who do have severe scarring, is to constantly remind themselves that at-least their face isn't completely deformed? Ridiculous.

There's really no point in debating what makes one sad and one's level of sadness. Sadness, is sadness. Let's do something more constructive, like enlighten them on things they can do, to fix their problems, and be happy with how their face looks.

Because, obviously, if the OP is here, sharing pictures and their experience with us, then they are very bothered by what is on their face and, as nice, positive and direct as one may be, they don't want to hear stuff like, "don't get bent out of shape" or have their reality checked - for their reality, is their face being scarred, and that's why they're here. They want answers, tips, solutions, guidance and to do something about it - and that's the right attitude. If they wanted a pep talk or pat on the back, they'd go see their parents or a shrink.

I've always believed, that if something bothers you, do something about it. Don't just live with it, if there are solutions available. Don't jump on the first treatment you hear about, but explore your options, do your research and get familiar - this is what the OP is trying to do. Let's not shy them away. Ultimately, what they end up doing, is what they believe is best for them. Our job should be to help them make the best decision, and not to judge them or compare their case with all the others. Each case and person are different. That's why I try to treat each question on here individually.

Sorry for the rambling lol. I just had to let that out, after seeing how redundant this has become, over the years. It wasn't directed to a specific person; it was directed to everybody on here.

OP, stay away from ANY laser. They're too risky and expensive for the tiny amount of scarring that you do have, and won't do anything for the few icepicks on your right cheek, except smooth their edges out. If you must get them treated, look into TCA CROSS. You don't have many and those you do have aren't large or deep - perfect for CROSSING.

As for your left cheek, all I can really see are a couple of red marks; talk to your dermatologist about chemical peels, they should do the trick. Retin-A is good too, but it takes a while to do the job.

Finally, rolling scars are treated with subcision. I only had one treatment, on my one and only rolling scar and, now, you can't even see it. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's gone. That being said, remember, everybody is different, not everybody heals the same, not everybody has the same scarring or level of scarring and not every doctor is the same.

But, your scarring is very light and superficial. Do your research, take your time and do what's best for you. If what's on your face really bothers you, do something about it. Don't just live with it and not try anything, just because people tell you to.

No sacrifice, no victory. ;)

Edited by SamWitwicky

I totally agree with above ^. Regardless of level or scarring, the challenge to finding a solution is pretty much almost the same and probably equally as frustrating. We're all in the same boat.