Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If a person is going to go with a simple diet like this, of course they will look and feel better. They won't have preservatives, toxins, byproducts floating around in their bodies. But I don't see why you can't consume whole grains (brown rice, quinoa,etc). They have enzymes and stuff that are only in whole grains. Or how consuming supplements is considered paleo. So, it's a modified paleolithic diet. I have hypersensitivity to alot of the fruits and vegs. This is completely unrealistic for me. Without grains, potatoes and nuts, I'd only be able to eat the same dozen things ever.

How do you prepare the meat? Raw? Most of the Paleolithic era, hominids consumed raw meat and raw marrow (sick). Grilled? With olive oil? Poached? Whole on a spit in the backyard?

Have you considered that we've evolved because of the other added items and agriculture? Just like how eating meat evolved hominids brain size drastically. I think I really just have a problem with the name of this diet and that you completely omit unprocessed whole grains, nuts, dairy items with probiotics including raw dairy, legumes completely, teas, wine, etc. The last two are very beneficial but paleolithic man hadn't come up with them. Example: Matcha green tea has almost 140 times the antioxidants than steeped green tea. You also stated that acne was unheard of in the paleolithic era, how does anyone know that...from the artwork in caves? It was prehistory! Also consider that even 300 years ago the average life expectancy was 35 to 40 years old...in developed nations!

I'm probably just considering the diet too literally. But it "really grinds my gears" when something new/ modern is named after something from the past and not even close to what the original item was.

Edited by DBLA712

Hi Justin...I have a question. I have a normal body weight and don't want to lose weight...I like my body the way it is. Is there a way of doing the diet your speaking of without losing weight? I really don't want to lose weight and I am quite capable when I diet.

if you don't wish to lose weight consume approx. Two teaspoons after every salad and fruit you eat, this will up your healthy fat intake. I have never heard of overdosing on olive oil, but if you can't get it down your throat (as some people find the taste impleasant) use as dressing on your salad. Also eat more fruit than vegetables.

99.9% of our ends are still adapted to the plaeolithic way of eating that .1 percent is what allows us to eat Neolithic foods. Also if you read through the post you'll see why I know people in the Paleolithic era didn't have acne someone else asked me that exact same question. as for grains think about it. Only modern man has developed the techniques for harvesting grains, if we didn't have these techniques for harvesting grains walking around in a field of wheat all day collecting it but the end of the day you would have like a hand full. It's not meant for us to. Why it cause acne is because it is high on the glycemic index so when you consume this high carb food you are getting your energy from carbs thus raisning your insulin levels and effecting your bodies response on insulin resulting on acne. Insulin is used for breaking down regular sugars in fruit that are easy for our body to digest. When we give it carbs from grains instead of fruit the insulin response Is high and the body hasto covert the carb into glycogen and then into glucose, so get your carbs from fruit not grains fruit is easy to digest grains are a burden to the digestive system. As for meat raw is better than cooked, but it is not advocated that anyone eat raw meat, but I do reccomend raw eggs. I chug down four raw eggs every morning with some honey and water. Raw is best.

Thanks for hearing me out

I hope I answered your question/s

If a person is going to go with a simple diet like this, of course they will look and feel better. They won't have preservatives, toxins, byproducts floating around in their bodies. But I don't see why you can't consume whole grains (brown rice, quinoa,etc). They have enzymes and stuff that are only in whole grains. Or how consuming supplements is considered paleo. So, it's a modified paleolithic diet. I have hypersensitivity to alot of the fruits and vegs. This is completely unrealistic for me. Without grains, potatoes and nuts, I'd only be able to eat the same dozen things ever.

How do you prepare the meat? Raw? Most of the Paleolithic era, hominids consumed raw meat and raw marrow (sick). Grilled? With olive oil? Poached? Whole on a spit in the backyard?

Have you considered that we've evolved because of the other added items and agriculture? Just like how eating meat evolved hominids brain size drastically. I think I really just have a problem with the name of this diet and that you completely omit unprocessed whole grains, nuts, dairy items with probiotics including raw dairy, legumes completely, teas, wine, etc. The last two are very beneficial but paleolithic man hadn't come up with them. Example: Matcha green tea has almost 140 times the antioxidants than steeped green tea. You also stated that acne was unheard of in the paleolithic era, how does anyone know that...from the artwork in caves? It was prehistory! Also consider that even 300 years ago the average life expectancy was 35 to 40 years old...in developed nations!

I'm probably just considering the diet too literally. But it "really grinds my gears" when something new/ modern is named after something from the past and not even close to what the original item was.

Another question - does the amount of exposed skin matter when getting natural vitamin D from the sun? I.e. if i'm wearing a shirt and get out for 30 minutes is that the same if i were to be shirtless?

no, just so long as you get about 20-30 mins of sun exposure a day, you should do something physical in the sun, physical activities helps the blood circulate when the skin manufactures vitamin d the blood will carry it through the body, exercising will help the vitamin d reach throughout the body through circulation.

As for meat raw is better than cooked, but it is not advocated that anyone eat raw meat, but I do reccomend raw eggs. I chug down four raw eggs every morning with some honey and water. Raw is best.

you just crack the eggs into a drink with water and honey and chug? how many at a time? can i make a smoothie with raw eggs+water+honey?

^ No. All that stuff paleo diet people (who are not anthropologists) like to say about pre-agricultural people and grains is untrue.

First, they would not have ever learned to cultivate grains unless they first ate them. In significant amounts. The cultivated them because they ate them.

And second, they did have the ability to harvest them. It's not that tricky. Walk through a field full of tall grasses or grains when they have gone to seed and see how easy it is to gather the seeds.

And look at the Ojibwe tribes for whom wild rice is sacred. And they gather it in large amounts by knocking it into their canoes with sticks. Other people could have done something similar on land with animal hides.

Grains just should not be as big a part of your diet as they have become. Especially nutritionally void processed grains usually made into some high GI food. And some grains are worse than others. Oats and rice are pretty benign. And oats are very nutrient dense food.

^ No. All that stuff paleo diet people (who are not anthropologists) like to say about pre-agricultural people and grains is untrue.

Making posts like this w/o links to back it up does nobody any good.

Yes, there are indigenous cultures who are very healthy that have grains as a semi significant part of their diet, but that doesn't mean those foods are healthy.

edit: When i say links, i mean peer reviewed articles by anthropologists released in recent times supporting your claims.

Edited by ClownSki

I don't usually reccommend this, but here

this diet is a straight forward simple to follow plan

that lasts for about two weeks to a month, i've tried it, and even though my acne was already gone, this diet didn't give me any acne, and you may want to try it, they suggest raw egg, and i downed four raw egg yolks every day for two weeks.

Of course I did some research on salmonella first, but so long as you practice sanitization you won't have to worry about that.

this diet will give you plenty of time to heal your acne, then after the two week period just start adding foods back in til you can identify what might be giving you problems. it may be that you are eating to much of something or you are not getting enough omega-3s to combat inflammation.

whew, this Wai diet seems pretty limited to me but is very similar to the diet the Kitava natives have (who don't suffer from acne at all). I might try it but then I'm gonna have to eat a fuckload of fruits in order not to lose weight ;)

Before trying that I think I'm going to reduce histamin for a while. If this doesn't work, I'll have to resort to more extreme measures like the Wai or Kitava diet...

As for meat raw is better than cooked, but it is not advocated that anyone eat raw meat, but I do reccomend raw eggs. I chug down four raw eggs every morning with some honey and water. Raw is best.

you just crack the eggs into a drink with water and honey and chug? how many at a time? can i make a smoothie with raw eggs+water+honey?

I drink the yolks not the egg white, do not drink the egg white it contains ovocumoid which gives you the runs because it impears digestion.

Always remain physically inactive 1.5 hours after consuming raw egg, also don't consume the egg white as it contains ovocumoid which will give you the runs, the ovocumoid is killed when cooked, but is active when raw so drain the white and eat the yolk. Raw egg yolk are the most nutrient sense food in the world. This has been proven, it contains the most nutrients and the most variety of nutrients vitamins minerals and clean protein.

Edited by Justin Knoll

I don't usually reccommend this, but here

this diet is a straight forward simple to follow plan

that lasts for about two weeks to a month, i've tried it, and even though my acne was already gone, this diet didn't give me any acne, and you may want to try it, they suggest raw egg, and i downed four raw egg yolks every day for two weeks.

Of course I did some research on salmonella first, but so long as you practice sanitization you won't have to worry about that.

this diet will give you plenty of time to heal your acne, then after the two week period just start adding foods back in til you can identify what might be giving you problems. it may be that you are eating to much of something or you are not getting enough omega-3s to combat inflammation.

you body eats away at your weight when you don't consume enough energy so it has to get the extra energy from muscle mass/fat so long as you areconstantly consuming and getting your energy from Sugars from fruit when doing this your body won't have to eat away at your fat and you won't lose weight. Also you can gain muscle on this diet there are many post on their forum just skim through til you fin what you need.

whew, this Wai diet seems pretty limited to me but is very similar to the diet the Kitava natives have (who don't suffer from acne at all). I might try it but then I'm gonna have to eat a fuckload of fruits in order not to lose weight ;)

Before trying that I think I'm going to reduce histamin for a while. If this doesn't work, I'll have to resort to more extreme measures like the Wai or Kitava diet...

Yes, there are indigenous cultures who are very healthy that have grains as a semi significant part of their diet, but that doesn't mean those foods are healthy.

edit: When i say links, i mean peer reviewed articles by anthropologists released in recent times supporting your claims.

mmm. Ok. I don't think that criticism makes any sense. I didn't make any statements that need backing up anymore than any of the OPs statements. I mean, you want links to back up my statement that these Paleo diet gurus are not anthropologists? Cordain is a medical doctor. If you are a disciple, you should know that. One of the first proponents of such diets was a gastroenterologist. Again, not an anthropologist.

I also didn't make any statement about how healthy anyone is/was. I was countering the common claim that humans didn't eat grains until the advent of agriculture 10,000 years ago. At which time they would not have grown grains if they did not eat them. They grew them because they ate them.

Also, I don't think there's a lot of peer reviewed articles on how the Ojibwe gather wild rice or how important it is to them. It's not necessary. They have pow wows celebrating it. They are Native Americans, btw. Not some remote tribe in the Amazon or south sea islander. You can attend one of their pow wows in the middle of Minneapolis. And fish and game are plentiful in their region, yet they considered wild rice sacred.

I also said that all grains are not equal. You want a study on that too? I can supply a study, cited by Cordain as part of his evidence of the evil of all grains and legumes, that only finds wheat, soy, peanuts and kidney beans permeating intestinal linings. Not all grains and legumes.

Edited by alternativista

mmm. Ok. I don't think that criticism makes any sense. I didn't make any statements that need backing up anymore than any of the OPs statements. I mean, you want links to back up my statement that these Paleo diet gurus are not anthropologists? Cordain is a medical doctor. If you are a disciple, you should know that. One of the first proponents of such diets was a gastroenterologist. Again, not an anthropologist.

I also didn't make any statement about how healthy anyone is/was. I was countering the common claim that humans didn't eat grains until the advent of agriculture 10,000 years ago. At which time they would not have grown grains if they did not eat them. They grew them because they ate them.

What is this I don't even know.

You made the claim that the "paleo diet people" are not supported by anthropologist. You are obviously very ignorant of "paleo diet people". Every book I've read on the paleo diet cites anthropologist's research. There is not a single anthropologist that I know of who is going to say that all the common modern medical problems we suffer from didn't become widespread until after the agriculture revolution. This is research done by anthropologist, it it what the "paleo diet people" based their books on. So yeah, if you are going to come a thread and state that the reason we shouldn't follow the "paloe diet people" is because they are not anthropologist, then back that up with research done by anthropologist saying what the "paleo diet people" proclaim is wrong.

Just cause a sub set of humans ate something doesn't mean the overwhelming majority didn't have any of it in their diet.

What are you going about grains and Indians for? I didn't quote that part of your post. Nor do I want studies on it. *moderator edit*

god this forum has gone to shit.

---

Clownski, try and follow me here. Alterna is bringing up indians because they have been eating, cultivating, and harvesting wild rice - a grain - during a period when many people are under the impression that grain was not consumed.

It was and they were healthy. Some of your (and society at large) notions are flat out wrong.

---------

I made chicken wild rice soup for dinner last night. It was delicious, and unrelated to this thread :lol:

What is this I don't even know.

You made the claim that the "paleo diet people" are not supported by anthropologist. You are obviously very ignorant of "paleo diet people". Every book I've read on the paleo diet cites anthropologist's research. There is not a single anthropologist that I know of who is going to say that all the common modern medical problems we suffer from didn't become widespread until after the agriculture revolution. This is research done by anthropologist, it it what the "paleo diet people" based their books on. So yeah, if you are going to come a thread and state that the reason we shouldn't follow the "paloe diet people" is because they are not anthropologist, then back that up with research done by anthropologist saying what the "paleo diet people" proclaim is wrong.

Just cause a sub set of humans ate something doesn't mean the overwhelming majority didn't have any of it in their diet.

What are you going about grains and Indians for? I didn't quote that part of your post. Nor do I want studies on it. *moderator edit*

I didn't say anyone shouldn't follow the paleo diet. I said nothing even remotely of the sort. Not once. Not even a hint that you shouldn't. You can follow it all you want. It's healthy. But it's a subset of the healthy foods you can eat.

Let me try to explain again. *moderator edit*

What I said was that the claims Paleo Diet people make about pre-agricultural consumption of grains and that they couldn't possibly gather enough wild grains was untrue. And then I cited a perfect example demonstrating that it wasn't true. An example right here that you can see for yourself.

And the Paleo Diet proponents like Cordain are medical doctors that cite some anthropological evidence from a few sites out of all the sites and evidence on the planet. They pick and chose specific people and anthropological sites where it fits their claims and ignore tons of other anthropological evidence that counter their claims. And many, many anthropologists dispute the diet claims.

It's a big planet with many ecosystems and a variety of food in them. And humans spread out and adapted to all kinds of foods and diets all over the planet. Besides, most of early and protohuman evolution took place in the grasslands of Africa. Grass = grain.

And obviously I brought up the Ojibwe for the same reason Cordain cites Kitivan and Trobian islanders all the time. Because their diet supports my statements. And specifically disputes the claim that it wasn't possible to gather wild grains in significant amounts that it could be an important part of the diet. On the contrary, it's so possible that this grain became sacred to an entire culture. And it's evidence you can touch and see for yourself. You don't even have to buy into some researchers interpretation of evidence found at some remote excavated archaeological site where evidence can easily be damaged, lose it's provenance or just be misunderstood.

*moderator edit*

Oh, and most of the cultures around the world known for there very high percentage of healthy, active centenarians eat grains. One of them is even vegetarian.

And here's a link to an excerpt from Cordain's book in which he cites studies that find lectins permeating intestinal walls. And the studies only found that to be true of lectins in wheat, soy, peanuts, and kidney beans. Not all grains and legumes. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=3100200

---

It really has, hasn't it? There hasn't been anything new and much intelligent discussion in so long. That's one of the reasons I maintain all those threads full of links to old discussion threads.

I see you are in Minnesota. Ever gathered any wild rice?

Edited by alternativista

---

It really has, hasn't it? There hasn't been anything new and much intelligent discussion in so long. That's one of the reasons I maintain all those threads full of links to old discussion threads.

I see you are in Minnesota. Ever gathered any wild rice?

Double down on that bolded part :lol:

I've never gathered it, but my grandpa has - he was Kiowa indian. I once went on a canoe tour that explained the history of wild rice gathering, caning it into the boat, how it's not really rice, etc. It was really neat.

You are officially on ignore now Alternat.

Is trolling threads your favorite past time activity? Because it sure seems like it. Your recent posts in this thread + the cravings thread are absurd. Now you are changing what you originally said when you get called out on it being hogwash. lol.

Hey Guys, I would really like to try the Paleo diet again. I was on it about a week and a half.

I am asian american so rice is a immense part of my diet. Once i took that out I really didn't know what to eat. My mom cannot help since she doesn't know how to prepare anything else other then traditional asian food.

So I had to do everything myself. The only thing I knew how to use was my geogre foreman grill. I would grill the chicken or fish and season it with garlic/chili powder. Also add in a bowl of boiled broccoli. I would eat this every single meal besides breakfast. Which I had Fiber One all bran cereal with almond milk. As you can tell I was tired of eating the same thing by the second day on the diet. But I continued on because I really want to cure my acne.

I stopped about week and half into the diet because my acne was getting worse. It wasn't worth it to me anymore. The carving for carbs was driving me nuts. I have also never felt this fatigued in my entire life.

However I would really like to give this one more shot, please help me with all your suggestions. Thanks!

Edited by ItsTime

Hey Guys, I would really like to try the Paleo diet again. I was on it about a week and a half.

I am asian american so rice is a immense part of my diet. Once i took that out I really didn't know what to eat. My mom cannot help since she doesn't know how to prepare anything else other then traditional asian food.

So I had to do everything myself. The only thing I knew how to use was my geogre foreman grill. I would grill the chicken or fish and season it with garlic/chili powder. Also add in a bowl of boiled broccoli. I would eat this every single meal besides breakfast. Which I had Fiber One all bran cereal with almond milk. As you can tell I was tired of eating the same thing by the second day on the diet. But I continued on because I really want to cure my acne.

I stopped about week and half into the diet because my acne was getting worse. It wasn't worth it to me anymore. The carving for carbs was driving me nuts. I have also never felt this fatigued in my entire life.

However I would really like to give this one more shot, please help me with all your suggestions. Thanks!

bran cereal and milk aren't paleo. Re-read the post

bran cereal and milk aren't paleo. Re-read the post

I know Almond Milk is the best type of milk out there and it is consider Paleo. All Bran Cereal is probably not, but I didn't think it contributed to my acne. I would try to cut that out next time.