Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is a little depressing, but has anyone thought about someday when we're clear, married, and having kids (if that's what you're planning someday)?

My parents both had acne as teenagers, my mother's being moderate severe. So lucky me and my brother, we inherited those blessed genes and now here I am.

I'm scared my daughter is going to have to face the same challenges, actually terrified.

I'm not ready to have children, but when I do, I'm going to do the best I can to take care of their skin. I don't want them to end up like me all messed up. I don't want them to go through what I'm going through. I think about having kids all the time and when I do, acne is my biggest fear for them.

Given my family's medical history, and the fact that I've already had pneumonia and lung cancer and I'm not even 18 yet .. acne will probably be the least of my children's worries. LOL just sayin'.

But if they do have acne, (which they most likely will), I will make sure they do not make the same mistakes I did, and I'll be sure to educate them about their skin and also overall health. (:

Oh, and I will make sure they do NOT pop their pimples! Worst thing I ever started doing with my skin.

I will make sure they do not make the same mistakes I did, and I'll be sure to educate them about their skin and also overall health. (:

Oh, and I will make sure they do NOT pop their pimples! Worst thing I ever started doing with my skin.

That sums it up. I can't really see that I'll ever become a father, but if it did happen, my main focus would be to make sure my children do the opposite of everything I did. The last thing I would want is for them to get to where I'm currently at with things like confidence and self esteem, knowing that instead I could have supported them and made sure they were strong enough to live their lives regardless of their skin.

Acne doesn't seem to run in my family and I'm literally the only one. If I had children and they had the same problems I've had, it would be really obvious that it came from me. My biggest fear in that situation would be that they'd hold it against me and blame me.

Edited by PaulH85

As of right now, I don't want to have kids.

If I do though, I'm going to be a hell of a lot more understanding than my parents were/are. If he/she wants to see a dermatologist, I'll let them. I'll be more supportive and help them take care of their skin, since I know what it's like to try and take care of it myself and have no success.

This is a little depressing, but has anyone thought about someday when we're clear, married, and having kids (if that's what you're planning someday)?

My parents both had acne as teenagers, my mother's being moderate severe. So lucky me and my brother, we inherited those blessed genes and now here I am.

I'm scared my daughter is going to have to face the same challenges, actually terrified.

I understand your fear, my niece got her genes from her fathers side since no one in our family ever consulted a dermatologist about skin problem.

Telling a child that they are still beautiful may not work anymore. Well, that is my sisters job and it's getting harder everyday. :angel:

Guest pokemonster

if u by all means need kids in this already overpopulated world then at least be rich or very patient/supportive so u can take care of crap they have to go through, they didnt even choose themselves.

coughsomanykidswithoutparentscoughcoughdreamtobeadoptedcoughcough

yeah I have mulled over it lots...but ultimately, you just never know, its in Gods hands if you believe, or Luck if you dont .

i dont have any kids yet but Ill be damned if I let acne control me life that much...besides, plenty worse genetic dieseases people gamble with every time they get pregnant

*may your children have a lifetime free from acne*

:dance:

Very good topic. I haven't really thought about it. MOST of the time, Acne is purely genetic (in other words if either one of your parents had acne, I'm talking no matter the severity of acne : Mild, Mildly Moderate, Moderate, Moderate Severe, Severe, your probably going to have it too unfortunately). Sometimes though, one (or both) of the parents can have acne and the child won't get acne or neither one of the parents had acne and the child ends up having acne. But most likely, your kids will end up having some kind of acne like you did. I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to inheriting acne. My Dad had moderately severe acne as a teen and he passed the acne trait along to me (even though my acne is a step below his : Moderate). Anyways, I hope my kids (if I ever have any) don't have to deal with this shit every day like I have to (seriously, this shit is the #1 reason I can't live a normal life like 80 % of the world who has clear skin can; we're the minority in this, only 2 out of 10 people have acne, that's preety telling).

if u by all means need kids in this already overpopulated world then at least be rich or very patient/supportive so u can take care of crap they have to go through, they didnt even choose themselves.

coughsomanykidswithoutparentscoughcoughdreamtobeadoptedcoughcough

^This

I don't think it is right to have children if your family has a history of severe acne. If you really want to have kids, there are many children out there abandoned by their biological parents who are looking for a loving home. Adopt!

Well..If I ever get married and have kids, and if my kids would have the same issue with their skin I will find treatments ASAP. BEcoz when I got my first pimples no on took me to the derm. everyone was sure that it's goin to fade away. BUT it became to severe cystic acne, so they HAD to take me to the derm.. Anyways...so I will take an action EARLIER.

I myself am hoping there will be better treatment by then.

Oh yea.. Hopefully our kids will have an oportunity to treat their skin issues with improved solutions and technologies in the future. Couple of centuries ago pple were dying from a simple flu, look how far has medicine gone. Maybe scientists will create a brand-new formula that would clear up the skin overnight . Hahaha.

^^^^

Yeah thats true. Hopefully by then there will be some epic acne treatments~! :''D

To the OP.

Well I think for my children its probably inevitable. :'D

Unless they inherit their daddies genes or something..?

It's funny because my mother did not have acne at all during her teenage years. She didn't even wear make up or anything.

Now she's 35 and has adult acne, which only just flared up about 3-4 years ago.

Dear God/Allah/FSM I hope thats not my future. = A =

Now I know alot of people are not going to agree with me on this, and that is quite alright.

But in this day in age because of all the pain and suffering and genetic disorders and just plain shitty genes running around through peoples family backgrounds, I really wish people would either

a) think twice about having kids just because "they" want them. I dont think people should have kids just to have them. We have gotten to the point where not everyone needs to reproduce for the safety of our species.

or b) seriously study you and your partners genetic background so your kid doesnt have to suffer (or help alleviate the suffering) from so many different crappy conditions people have running through their bloodlines.

The main thing is, when people have kids out of "love" or accidents, they dont take into consideration the actual KID's life, the person they are bringing into this world. They have the kid because THEY want the kid. You often hear people say "I didnt ask to be born", and they are right.

I cant fathom having a kid, and having them have to suffer all the acne and scars that I have to.

Are you serious? And at the same time I consider my self lucky it wasn't something more serious I inherited since there is a history of cancer on both sides of my family.

*Now, at the same token, my whole philosophy on life is to each their own, so if you want to have a billion kids go ahead. Just saying how I personally feel on the matter.*

Summary: Not everyone should be having kids just to have kids. I know the responses to this will be "well who are you to say who can and cannot have kids".

If you say that, you miss the point of my post. The point of this was if you are going to have kids, take into consideration the actual person you are going to bring into the world, because everything they inherit from you, from their genes to their lifestyle will effect the experiences they have, the memories they will endure, and the person they grow up to be.

You don't want your kid spending hours online looking at message boards for them trying to find a cure for some shitty condition they got from you just because you and you're partner were bored/in love/or needed to fill some void in your life with a family.

*Note, I am not advocating anyone else believe what I believe, once again just stating my opinion*

I agree with this. So much. I hate my scars and I hate my acne. And it's all hereditary. My family also has mental disorders as well as severe acne running in the family, and I got the amazing luck to get both. (It's not a full blown disorder. I'm kind of borderline). I will never have children because I don't want them to have to go through the shitty stuff I went through as a kid because I couldn't control my borderline Asperger's and all the shitty stuff I'm going through right now with my disgustingly hideous face.

If you want a kid that bad, adopt. There are more than enough kids that need moms and dads to care for them.

My family on my dad's side is prone to both acne and panic disorder. My family on my mom's side has perfect skin and no anxiety. I had the luck of ending up with both acne and panic disorder. But there was a chance that I wouldn't have had either, as my mother never had either. I guess what I mean by this is that there is no guarantee that because a person does or doesn't have acne, their child will or will not. The same goes for mental illness. It could be passed on, or it could not. And it takes two people to have a child - one person might have the genes, the other might not. You just never know. If I ever have children it will break my heart if they go through what I went through. But what if they don't? How would I feel then?

You can never know for sure... if you want children, if you'd be an amazing parent, you should have children. If they have acne, make sure they get the best treatment possible, and do as much as you can to instill in them good self-esteem and high self-worth, because it's the loss of those last two things that makes acne truly devastating, not the acne itself.

My family on my dad's side is prone to both acne and panic disorder. My family on my mom's side has perfect skin and no anxiety. I had the luck of ending up with both acne and panic disorder. But there was a chance that I wouldn't have had either, as my mother never had either. I guess what I mean by this is that there is no guarantee that because a person does or doesn't have acne, their child will or will not. The same goes for mental illness. It could be passed on, or it could not. And it takes two people to have a child - one person might have the genes, the other might not. You just never know. If I ever have children it will break my heart if they go through what I went through. But what if they don't? How would I feel then?

You can never know for sure... if you want children, if you'd be an amazing parent, you should have children. If they have acne, make sure they get the best treatment possible, and do as much as you can to instill in them good self-esteem and high self-worth, because it's the loss of those last two things that makes acne truly devastating, not the acne itself.

Just to play devil's advocate, my question is why risk it? I ask because I would like to know what makes giving birth to a kid so important to you (not to you directly, its a general question for anyone to answer) that you would feel as though its worth risking passing on what you know would be "bad" genetic traits, knowing the possibility it will make your kids life that much harder. (along with all the other hardships life has piled on)?

On a side note, I am a stand up comedian, and find this particular subject interesting, so don't take anything personal, I only quote your post because it gives the lead in to a question I have (why even take the risk, why do we feel the need to even have children this bad?)

Just to play devil's advocate, my question is why risk it? I ask because I would like to know what makes giving birth to a kid so important to you (not to you directly, its a general question for anyone to answer) that you would feel as though its worth risking passing on what you know would be "bad" genetic traits, knowing the possibility it will make your kids life that much harder. (along with all the other hardships life has piled on)?

On a side note, I am a stand up comedian, and find this particular subject interesting, so don't take anything personal, I only quote your post because it gives the lead in to a question I have (why even take the risk, why do we feel the need to even have children this bad?)

If everyone with "bad" genetic traits decided not to have children, the world's population would die out fairly quickly. Almost everyone has a family history of something - diabetes, heart attack, cancer, depression, addiction, high blood pressure, whatever. They all risk it. The answer is not for everyone to stop having children, it's to come up with cures for these diseases that more and more people suffer from each year.

I personally do not feel the need to have children that badly at all, but I think that there are some people who would not feel fulfilled if they didn't. I think a large part of it is also the social norm, that getting married and having kids is "the thing to do", and people feel like they've failed or there's something wrong with them if they don't.

I don't think it is right to have children if your family has a history of severe acne. If you really want to have kids, there are many children out there abandoned by their biological parents who are looking for a loving home. Adopt!

Are you people serious? Don't have kids because of acne? How illogical is that...that's like telling people with cancer, diabetes, or some other disease not to reproduce. Just get them treatment if they have acne, and keep it moving. I'm really shocked by the ludicrous responses in this thread...

I think more people should adopt. There are plenty of children that needs homes. Children in foster care also need good homes. However, I can see why people want to have kids. It kind of feels like "killing" your future child. PLEASE don't overreact to that statement. I can't find the words to completely express what I'm trying to say. For example, I have a genetic speech impediment that my brother and I inherited from our dad. It really sucks, but I am really glad that I was born. Sure it's really tough living with a speech impediment and acne, but I am really glad my parents had me despite the risks. I can see why it's not someone's cup of tea, but I sometimes wonder if my future kid would want to be born.

I've actually thought about this, if my kids will inherit the acne gene. Acne runs in both sides of my family unfortunately. But when I started puberty and started getting very mild acne, my mom put me on birth control (around 12 years old). I can't tell you if my acne would have been much worse if I had not been on it, but when I went off of it when I was 17, I had the worst most horrifying breakout of cysts on my temples, neck, and cheeks of my entire life. My mom warned me not to go off of it.

However, to not have children because of not wanting to pass on an acne gene is very sad. Ya, I wish desperately I had glowing skin and never went through all this psychological stress. However, my life has been very very full and I am very content with how I know I've made and continue to make a difference in the lives around me. I know that many companies from prescriptions to makeup have been started because the founder struggled with skin problems. This inspired those people to try to create a better world and future for those struggling with acne.

Like another pointed out, there are MUCH worse conditions that are linked to genes- heart defects, mental illnesses, substance/alcohol abuse, DM, obesity, kidney problems, cancers, etc.

I feel like acne has allowed me to talk to very vulnerable and hurting people who are depressed. When my skin was the clearest (maybe 1 pimple a month), my now closest friend said that when she first met me she was intimidated with how pretty I was, and didn't know how to talk to me. Now, as I've made myself vulnerable, it's allowed my friends and people I care about to be vulnerable because I'm not trying to hide myself anymore.

So bottom line, if my child is starting to get acne, I will educate them on how to gently treat their skin, use no harsh products, don't touch/pick skin, wash hands frequently. Depending on what my husband would agree too, if I have a daughter I might just put her on birth control like my mom did for me. If I marry my boyfriend, I think my kids will have a 50/50 chance. He has great skin and it is totally hereditary.

Do not choose to not have children and bring life into this world because you're afraid of them getting acne. Something worse could happen to them, and you would probly wish they had acne instead of a devastating disease.

Are you people serious? Don't have kids because of acne? How illogical is that...that's like telling people with cancer, diabetes, or some other disease not to reproduce. Just get them treatment if they have acne, and keep it moving. I'm really shocked by the ludicrous responses in this thread...

Now I see what you are saying, and where you are coming from, but thats looking at it from a strictly personal standpoint. Why even give birth if your family has a history of those things? All you are doing is helping to continue a cycle of bad genetics? The people you give birth to are the ones who have to suffer what you passed on. Then potentially their kids, and their kids.

If you have a kid, and they end up getting severe acne and come home depressed every day from school because their face is filled with holes, are you going be like, suck it up and get treatment.

Sure, it's easy to say, "hell, they can treat it!" but to me, thats even more illogical, when you can just skip the pain and suffering in the first place right?

If I told you, you would be reborn and you would have diabetes and cancer...would you seriously be like "sweet! I can just treat it!"