Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
goddamnitdani

Does anyone have reoccuring cysts?

Hey everyone, I'm new here. Im 25 and a few months back I developed (what I did not know at the time) a very deep cyst on my cheek. I actually didn't pick at it or anything, just keep putting on zit cream and my usual regimen. Finally went to dermatologist after reading about cortisone shots here. (THANK YOU!!) It went away within 2 days and I got another one that popped up on my chin the next month, and at the same time the one on my cheek flared up again!

I have had to go in once a month and have the same ones shot back down over 4 times now. she said tissue has memory and they keep becoming inflammed again since the tissue is used to it. I know they are hormone related, but this is ridiculous. I wonder if they will ever go away? I didn't find any threads about people with the same cyst coming back over and over again but wondered if I was alone in this. These shots are LIFESAVERS but will I have to go once a month forever? Do they ever heal? I haven't gotten anymore which is a blessing, but im becoming quite a regular at my derm's office!

She gave me a script for solodyn to take right before my period (1-2 weeks before/during) since thats when they flare, but im very against taking antibiotics( they make me very sick and I think drs over prescribe them and are causing so many resistant strains [nerd], just my opinion...) i dont think ill fill this prescription, seeing as the website even says this wont improve cystic/nodule acne. dumb.

i guess im just reaching out for anyone else who's dealt with this.

Edited by goddamnitdani

Yeah, I've had that too- I thought I was imagining it, but there is one cyst that has been coming back to the same place for over 6 years...not good. I've been on everything under the sun for my acne in the last ten years- topicals, antibiotics, hormone-modulators, corticosteroid injections, even accutane. The cysts keep coming back, usually to the same places. You are not alone, sadly.

It's true that the tissue has memory. What can happen sometimes is that inflammation gets so severe that it causes scarring deep in the dermis (the underneath part of the skin), and if there is a little nidus of inflammation and P. acnes bacteria that gets walled off in there, god only knows it's a matter of time before things start stirring again and it gets acutely inflammed, potentially as an effect of spreading inflammation from adjacent inflammed sebaceous glands. The other crappy thing about scarring is that it weakens the connective tissue and follicles, making them more prone to rupturing and cyst formation.

I know that accutane is just about the best thing out there for nodular-cystic acne, but the side effects are pretty uncomfortable, and it's not necessarily a cure. I was on it at a high dose five years ago, and it looks like I'm about to have to do another round because the current combo of oral contraceptives-spironolactone-topical tazorac ain't cutting it. It was a huge pain in the ass (if you're a woman of child-bearing potential, you know what I'm talking about), but I have to say, it was the ONLY thing that helped with the nodules and cysts, albeit temporarily. Even the ones that came back to the same place.

Hey everyone, I'm new here. Im 25 and a few months back I developed (what I did not know at the time) a very deep cyst on my cheek. I actually didn't pick at it or anything, just keep putting on zit cream and my usual regimen. Finally went to dermatologist after reading about cortisone shots here. (THANK YOU!!) It went away within 2 days and I got another one that popped up on my chin the next month, and at the same time the one on my cheek flared up again!

I have had to go in once a month and have the same ones shot back down over 4 times now. she said tissue has memory and they keep becoming inflammed again since the tissue is used to it. I know they are hormone related, but this is ridiculous. I wonder if they will ever go away? I didn't find any threads about people with the same cyst coming back over and over again but wondered if I was alone in this. These shots are LIFESAVERS but will I have to go once a month forever? Do they ever heal? I haven't gotten anymore which is a blessing, but im becoming quite a regular at my derm's office!

She gave me a script for solodyn to take right before my period (1-2 weeks before/during) since thats when they flare, but im very against taking antibiotics( they make me very sick and I think drs over prescribe them and are causing so many resistant strains [nerd], just my opinion...) i dont think ill fill this prescription, seeing as the website even says this wont improve cystic/nodule acne. dumb.

i guess im just reaching out for anyone else who's dealt with this.

Yes, I have to deal with the same problem. My freaken pimples always reoccur at the same damn place:on my cheeks.

Interesting topic! The cysts I used to get would always be around my temples/eyebrows, really painful since they were big, but in an area where the skin was thinner than say my cheeks. I know on stoppickingonme.com, they talk about how pores can become scarred/damaged and more prone to acne in the future.

I had another appointment with my derm friday (i got a cortisone shot in both and a week later were becoming inflammed again!) he gave me a higher dose of cortisone in each which could cause me scarring or a dent, which are the same side effects as any dose, so i went with that. its been 3 days and they are definitely flattened out, one is black & blue HA

since i am not getting any more of them for now (knock on wood) :clap: and i am not interested in taking accutane or being on antibiotics he said the next possible option is for him to basically nick the skin with a scalpel, drain out any infection/bacteria, scrape out the inside and allow it to heal.

just for anyone who is curious, he said they can keep coming back and back because even with a cortisone shot, as docwithacne said, if there is even a smidgen of bacteria in there, it will just keep happening over and over again. basically mine just are never healing. really, if i would have had been told of that option in the first place, i probably would have gone with that right away since i have had needles poked in my face at least 6 times with these.

i'm willing to deal with a little tiny scar on my face, hell, im already covering my face in make up and have scars from previous breakouts... whats a little more concealer.... :)

so i just wanted to follow up to my post and the kind people who replied to me, that there is another option if your derm has not brought it up to you. it may not be right for every type of cyst you get but if you have some that just wont leave, it may be worth a shot. if mine flare back up in the next 2 weeks which is usual, i'll have him slice and dice and let you all know how it went!