Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DukeBlueDevils

I really want to get a job ...

So, I haven't posted in anything in like 2-3 weeks but I'm back. Anyways, I'm in need of a job (not just for myself, but my parents are wanting me to get one). I'm 18 (Male) and I just graduated from high school 4 months ago. I want to get a job (believe me, I really do, I need the money), but I just can't get one SIMPLY because of my skin (acne). I have moderate acne and because of that, it's REALLY difficult for me to go out in public without being anxious or self conscious about people staring at me. Like today, I went with KFC with my Mom and was going to go in and eat with her but backed out right when we got there because I didn't want to go in and people to see my face. So, I stayed in the car and we got it to go. My mom said I need to get over my acne and stop being scared to go in public. Easy for her to say. Sorry I got off topic. But the bottomline is if it's difficult for me to even go to a restaurant and eat with my Mom, how am I going to get a job and deal with people on a regular basis? I'm wanting to start college in January and I'm going to need money to just get started (my Parents can't pay because they don't have the money for college fees). Does anyone have any words of encouragement to offer as to why I can overcome this and get a job? The MAIN thing I'm scared of when it comes to getting a job is I don't want a customer to say something about my acne. Either one of 2 things would happen if that happened : 1. I'd tell them to go fuck themselves and I'd get fired for telling them off, or 2. I'd just leave work and go home and just be really depressed, which would also get me fired for leaving work. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

So, I haven't posted in anything in like 2-3 weeks but I'm back. Anyways, I'm in need of a job (not just for myself, but my parents are wanting me to get one). I'm 18 (Male) and I just graduated from high school 4 months ago. I want to get a job (believe me, I really do, I need the money), but I just can't get one SIMPLY because of my skin (acne). I have moderate acne and because of that, it's REALLY difficult for me to go out in public without being anxious or self conscious about people staring at me. Like today, I went with KFC with my Mom and was going to go in and eat with her but backed out right when we got there because I didn't want to go in and people to see my face. So, I stayed in the car and we got it to go. My mom said I need to get over my acne and stop being scared to go in public. Easy for her to say. Sorry I got off topic. But the bottomline is if it's difficult for me to even go to a restaurant and eat with my Mom, how am I going to get a job and deal with people on a regular basis? I'm wanting to start college in January and I'm going to need money to just get started (my Parents can't pay because they don't have the money for college fees). Does anyone have any words of encouragement to offer as to why I can overcome this and get a job? The MAIN thing I'm scared of when it comes to getting a job is I don't want a customer to say something about my acne. Either one of 2 things would happen if that happened : 1. I'd tell them to go fuck themselves and I'd get fired for telling them off, or 2. I'd just leave work and go home and just be really depressed, which would also get me fired for leaving work. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I feel I should respond.

Just go for it. I always am anxious of what people think of my skin, but slowly I'm realizing it kind of doesn't matter. What are thoughts, anyways? No one will ever mention your skin unless they are insecure assholes, in which case you can merk them, but otherwise, they might think something. Who gives a fuck? When you die, are you gonna care about what some jelly-like mass of neurons processed about you (i.e. someone's mind)? Probably not, well, you shouldn't anyways. Believe it or not, no one is better or worse than anyone or anything, we just are. Period. How your bundle of brain tissue computes the info it receives is up to you.

What the hell am I even talking about?

My point is: peoples thoughts are nothing more than flashing neurons between some tissue in their head, SO FUCK THAT SHIT, WHO GIVES A DAMN.

SEACREST, OUT!

Your lucky to only have moderate acne, im happy for that. Why? Cause i suffer from the worse, rare and severe type of acne. Im 18 just like you and also wanting to get a job, i've worked at a job with my father and made a good 580$, but i had to travel for that job and stay away from home for 3-4 days, but it was just a one time thing. But i really want a job were i can come home at the end of the day and rest in my own bed instead of a hotels. Im not going to give up on that, even with my acne. If i had moderate acne like you, i would've gotten a job at 16, got my license's at 16, and had a girlfriend as well, so your lucky. I would never wish my acne on ANYONE it scars you up physically and mentally, Im glad you dont have that. So, don't worry about people staring at you, i go out a lot and yeah some stare and maybe even talk about me but i won't let that get me down. Remember, words can't get you down if you don't let it. Go out and go for it and dont let anyone get you down, its your life, you live it and you can be strong enough to face people. I wish you luck my friend, Peace!

Edited by HiImMatt

2 responses? That's it? Thanks for the support guys (*sarcasm*). IMO, if you read the story, you should be entitled to comment. Like 53 people have read the story, but only 2 have commented. SMH.

Kody, have some faith in yourself. I thought the same thing about myself, my acne was moderate when I started at the job I have now and I've been here for a little over two years now. If you keep your head up during interviews, be proud of who you are and what you can do and look people in the eye, your acne isn't important. I'm a receptionist. I'm the first person people see when they walk into our office. They hired me because I know that I'm intelligent and capable. Your acne isn't who you are. Don't ever let it define you. It's such a small, insignificant fraction of you that pales in comparison to your good qualities.

There will be times in your life where people will discriminate against you for having acne. I'm not going to fluff around and pretend that it'll all be smooth sailing. But those times are few and far between. You can get a job with acne. It's not leprosy. It's pretty unlikely that a customer would say something about your acne. If they do, just be flippant about it. You'll probably never see them again. Don't even respond to it... just do your job.

By the way, the kids at KFC don't give a crap if you have acne or not. They just have a job to do. ;)

I know it is hard. Believe me. I know what it is like to have people stare at your face. I know that sinking feeling in your stomach when some asshole points out your acne. No matter how bad you feel about your skin, you have to understand what your real priorities are. Getting a job and going to school are number one priorities. Don't let acne hold you back from opportunities. You are 18. There is still hope for you. I don't have any good advice. I just have a pain from knowing what I could have accomplished if I didn't let acne stop me. If I didn't let what others thought of my skin hold me back from going to class. Acne is a condition on your face that may leave by the time you reach your twenties. Don't fall behind and stay on top of your life. Please.

Guest pokemonster

op

i have the very same problem dude :doubt: just that im soo weird at this moment that idk now, is it my anxiety gotten super bad or is it skin thats actually super bad, i just dont. know. :doubt: but im suspecting both are bad. idk what my suggestion would be to u tho bcs im in very crap situation myself atm and cant say i made wrong decisions before too, yet its also an outcome, so basically idk, a no option case maybe..uh..:doubt: but anyway id say if u can, do overcome yourself tho to not make things worse and go with option 2 :doubt: sucks? yes. but look at it. u will be depressed anyway. so either u will be depressed with or without cash.

also maybe will sound dumb, but when u will be at work, put on confident face? even if u feel like dieing inside. bcs its harder to pick at person who looks confident.

jamesy90

i like how u say that and good point, but we us ourselfs are just neuron crap too and what can we do if our neurons work against ourselfs and make us do care though :doubt:

/response produced by neurons and combination of brain stuff. but therfor what can i doo, me didnt even had chance in a first place. because me dont even exsist.

I know how you feel :/ I have had a few job interviews, none of which EVER got me a call back, which could either be because of the fact that I have no experience with another job, or the fact that I don't have good skin... at times I am convinced that it is the latter reason. It took me so much courage to go to my most recent one, because I was positive that I wouldn't get the job looking the way that I did.. and you know what? That is probably why I didn't get it - because it was obvious that I wasn't confident enough to be in a job that requires being cheerful and self assured when dealign with customers. Its definitely something that I need to work on, and everyone that lets their acne define their life. If you had perfect skin, and you went somewhere where an employee had acne, what would you be thinking? Probably not "Ugh, s/he is hideous," unless like someone said earlier, you were an insecure asshole. Anyone who thinks less of you because of your skin is really not worth worrying over AT ALL. Good luck, and don't let this get in the way of trying to get a job :)

I was in the same boat as you when I was 18. I had acne conglobata though and now severe scars. I wouldnt even. Go into a store and avoided everyone for a long time. Im 24 now. It wasnt until I was forced to get a job that I realized that people dont really care if you have acne/scars. I work around like 50 people all day now. Only one person has even said anything about my scars but he just asked how I got them. He was just curious. I told him about acne I had and that was the end of it. Plus you have to remember that you dont go to work to socialize etc, you go to work to work. Its not like school. Your moms right, you need to get over your fear of ppl judging you. Which you will eventually. Trust me ive been there done that. If you dont think I know what im talking about, ill add some pics of myself in a minute.

>Uploaded with

Edited by randomguy1986

I was in the same boat as you when I was 18. I had acne conglobata though and now severe scars. I wouldnt even. Go into a store and avoided everyone for a long time. Im 24 now. It wasnt until I was forced to get a job that I realized that people dont really care if you have acne/scars. I work around like 50 people all day now. Only one person has even said anything about my scars but he just asked how I got them. He was just curious. I told him about acne I had and that was the end of it. Plus you have to remember that you dont go to work to socialize etc, you go to work to work. Its not like school. Your moms right, you need to get over your fear of ppl judging you. Which you will eventually. Trust me ive been there done that. If you dont think I know what im talking about, ill add some pics of myself in a minute.

> Uploaded with