Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mercuryzeppelin

Nothing is helping my acne, only making it worse. Don't know what to do.

I've been browsing these forums for awhile but today I've hit my breaking point. Growing up, I never had skin problems. Maybe a zit here or there every once and awhile. Suddenly, then minute I turned 22 my face decided to make up for lost time. It was a pretty mild breakout and I was able to get it somewhat under control with Proactiv. I had stopped using Proactiv about a year ago and was fine. I just used Dove soap. I have extremely sensitive skin. Like, I cannot wear metal clasps or buttons across my chest or else I will bruise/get a rash. At the beginning of this year, I noticed my face started breaking out more than usual. I tried Cetaphil, and 3 weeks later had an extreme allergic reaction that involved massive swelling and my face was on fire. So, next i tried Phisoderm. It left my skin feeling oily and dirty and I was starting to get more zits. Next, I tried Neutrogena Naturals but 2 months later and still no change. So, I was finally able to afford going to a doctor. She prescribed me 5% Benzoyl Peroxide and Retin-A. Well, it completely burned my face and caused my skin to peel off and scab and breakout even more. So, completely devastated, I decided to turn back to Proactiv. I've been using it for 2 weeks now. The first week my face was clearing up everyday and I was feeling SO much better and hopeful! This week, however, my face is WORSE than ever. I've never had nodule type acne, but now it's all over my face! And once they finally disappear, they leave behind dark red marks that are still there after months so even when I don't have any zits it still looks like I do! Everyday I get at least 2 or 3 more blemishes. I've tried everything and even went for professional help, but I can't afford emotionally and financially to do this anymore. I'm at a complete loss. Maybe there is nothing that can help me and I'm supposed to just suffer through it until it eventually dies down. Any ideas? Remember, I have extremely sensitive skin so I'm weary about what to try.

Edited by mercuryzeppelin

i feel you, please be strong

i can tell you from personal experience that when you first go on Retin-A you get a really bad breakout, for me it was horrible, but if it is going to work for you I believe you have to give it at least 8 - 12 weeks, in my case I was given a topical antibiotic (clindamycin) to use with it, while not perfect, it has gotten rid of cystic acne and I only get occasional breakouts here and there now

i tried everything and really the least expensive products had been the biggest help, I can truly recommend these as these have really helped me, and seriously expensive is not better, I get all this stuff at Target or any drugstore

cleanser - try Purpose by Johnson & Johnson, stay away from any medicated soap

as a treatment - try Acne Stress Control 3 in 1 Hydrating Acne Treatment by Neutragena (2% salicylic acid)

moisturizer - the best for acne/oily skin in my opinion right now is - Pond's Clarant B3 for "normal to oily" skin, it leaves your face matte and absorbs oil, also the niacinimide (B3) fades post acne marks

if you like scrubs and masks - the best are Queen Helene Mint Julep Natural Facial Scrub and the Mint Julep Masque

not sure if you are a gal or guy - but if a guy - shave with Schick Hydro 3 and use Barbasol Aloe Vera Shave Cream

i use all this stuff and the clindamycin and Retin-A

in the morning I wash/clindamycin/then Neutragena/last Pond's

at night I wash/clindamycin/then Retin-A/last Pond's

this stuff has really helped me, good luck

I've been browsing these forums for awhile but today I've hit my breaking point. Growing up, I never had skin problems. Maybe a zit here or there every once and awhile. Suddenly, then minute I turned 22 my face decided to make up for lost time. It was a pretty mild breakout and I was able to get it somewhat under control with Proactiv. I had stopped using Proactiv about a year ago and was fine. I just used Dove soap. I have extremely sensitive skin. Like, I cannot wear metal clasps or buttons across my chest or else I will bruise/get a rash. At the beginning of this year, I noticed my face started breaking out more than usual. I tried Cetaphil, and 3 weeks later had an extreme allergic reaction that involved massive swelling and my face was on fire. So, next i tried Phisoderm. It left my skin feeling oily and dirty and I was starting to get more zits. Next, I tried Neutrogena Naturals but 2 months later and still no change. So, I was finally able to afford going to a doctor. She prescribed me 5% Benzoyl Peroxide and Retin-A. Well, it completely burned my face and caused my skin to peel off and scab and breakout even more. So, completely devastated, I decided to turn back to Proactiv. I've been using it for 2 weeks now. The first week my face was clearing up everyday and I was feeling SO much better and hopeful! This week, however, my face is WORSE than ever. I've never had nodule type acne, but now it's all over my face! And once they finally disappear, they leave behind dark red marks that are still there after months so even when I don't have any zits it still looks like I do! Everyday I get at least 2 or 3 more blemishes. I've tried everything and even went for professional help, but I can't afford emotionally and financially to do this anymore. I'm at a complete loss. Maybe there is nothing that can help me and I'm supposed to just suffer through it until it eventually dies down. Any ideas? Remember, I have extremely sensitive skin so I'm weary about what to try.

It is time to take oral meds. Start from antibiotics, if they fail then hormonal pills.

Edited by Natashagirl