Clear all

Tretinoin 0.05% Cream Log To Final Success

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 08/30/2011 1:46 am

As the topic title.

here is my blog moaning

I did a lot of research here already.

Just want to document the progress and moaning.

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 08/30/2011 12:27 pm

Well today 8/30/11 when I woke up, I routinely went to a mirror and examine my acne. They seem to be less angry look. I got to pop out two zits on my chin and around my mouth. These two actually are not big ones. But I can feel the hard content in the skin so I popped them. Again I want to stress that whenever I get to pop out the pimple the kind when you pop you can kind of feel the popping sound, it will heal faster. The kind which is big and soft and just forming white pus on the head, you just kind of tweezers away and use tissue to blot off the pus and blood but no popping sound, it is not healing fast but get re inflamed again and again, which I really hate. Now most of my pimples are like the latter. I even take pain killers to help to ease the inflammation thou I don really know if this works. I tried to leave my pimple alone.

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 08/30/2011 9:34 pm

Well, I am looking through what Labgirl has posted here which I found really educational so I decide to use my neutrogena bp to spot treat in the morning........ And try not to pick my face at all. I hope this will ease my IB........

I have a quick question if someone can answer me:

Dose pain killer help with acne inflammation? Or just ease the pain of cysts?

Whenever i take the pills, my acne is not that painful anymore.

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 08/31/2011 7:14 pm

Thank you lovely for answering. :)

Today 8/31/11

I woke up with more calm pimples but they are still there. And two little pus right below my lower lip that I may gently get rid of them when I get home or not to pick at all? (Any recommendation?)

I think my forehead area starts to purge out too which I will try not to touch them at all. I think I know why my pimple got bad and became huge is due to whenever I feel there is pimple forming I just non stop touch or poke with my hand on it. So I probably need to go to quit picking board.

BTW

I start to use BP this morning and the biggest zit on my chin is feeling itching which is also right below my lower lip. Maybe is due to more sensitivity of that area.

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 09/01/2011 1:48 am

Well, I am waiting the 30 mins to apply tretinoin. I can feel a lot of under skin bumps on my right cheek, forehead, and around my mouth.

Pray to god all those bumps do not inflame. Pray to god all those bumps go away quietly. As long as they go away quietly, I really do not mind if it takes long time.

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 09/01/2011 1:54 am

It just came to my mind that regarding to bacterial control, is there any other thing OTC can gently controls aside from BP since according to labgirl BP destroy the barrier of the skin?

I do not really like BP anyways.

I am a international student here, my insurance does not cover acne issues so I am on my own. Plus, medical here is ridiculously expensive even with insurance but what can I do..... Stay health but acnes............

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 09/02/2011 1:10 am

9/2/11

On the bed waiting for the 30 mins to apply tretinoin.

My chin calms down a lot. But I still got new pimples and the red marks left behind which sucks.....

And I popped out some under skin ones on my right cheek. I did not use my nails, they were just popped out easily. I know I promised myself don pop. sign........

No one has recommendations on OTC bacteria control meds?

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 09/02/2011 11:19 pm

9/2/11

I figure I'd like to post my IB picture to document.....

My chin calms a lot but still worst part. I have a big under skin one on between my eyes.....

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 09/04/2011 1:19 am

Well BP is really drying out my tretinoin treated skin. My skin is hurting and tight. I think I will have to take BP out of my regime.

Anyone has any idea with regard to the bacteria control med instead of BP? Maybe I will have to buy the antibiotic gel.

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 09/05/2011 11:46 pm

9/5/11

I kind of see the improvement of my overall skin. More even toned texture. I will post some pictures probably next week or so. Pimples are less angry looking and going down. But I still feel a lot of hard stuffs under my skin. Please tretinoin just make them disappear without inflaming them.

I think I can manage not to pick my face at all even there is white pus pops up to head. Without picking at my skin, there is less peel and makeup can be put on easily and covers better.

I really like Almay foundation. Covers very well without looking caky and accentuating my flakes. The good thing is that I don't need to powder my skin and it stays put. Much better than my NARS sheer glow.

I bought a tub of Albolene to remove my makeup since Neutrogena foaming cleanser is really drying even tho it removes makeup pretty well. Cetaphil daily cleanser wont remove my sunscreen. So now I precleanse my skin with albolene. I used a tissue or a cotton pad to wipe off the grease and wash with cetaphil. I hope this agrees with my skin. Maybe I will try not to wipe off at all and just wash this grease off directly since I don't like the feeling of the tissue rubbing against my skin.

BTW I came across a blog of a girl cleared her acne. I found it quite informative. I am not able to post link yet so anyone would be interested please simply google "[Removed]".

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 09/07/2011 10:35 pm

Well last night I was too tired and forgot to put on moisturizer and then applied tretinoin. I did have waited for 30 mins after washing but still, my face peel noticeably when I woke up this morning especially around my mouth and chin where I broke out the most. Even though I don feel pain dry or anything, the flakes are so obvious that even my BF told my I peel very bad. So I told him about tretinoin I am using recently and how it is beneficial to my skin by peeling and so on. He told me what I explained to him made him think of the movie cat woman.... LOL.

Anyways, I believe my acne is healing and my skin texture is getting better and better because when me and my BF were both standing in front of a mirror and I used to compare my skin to his and my skin simply looked dull, not as toned and nice textured. (BTW my BF has really good skin, like a child's skin.) Until recently I do the comparison again, except the pimples and big pores I have at the moment, my overall skin looks, without my glasses on, similar to his. LOL

Tonight I will put on moisturizer even though I heard tretinoin will work better if it is the only thing being applied on the face. :)

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 09/09/2011 3:34 pm

I have used Albolene to remove my make up since 9/5/11 and it works pretty well for removing my sunscreen and makeup and dose not break me out. I did not use a tissue or cotton pad to remove the grease but directly use Cetaphil Daily Cleanser to wash off all together which works pretty good although I have to wash twice to thoroughly wash off the grease, neither this way is drying out my skin. So there is no more rubbing with tissue on my face or overly drying left behind anymore. :)

My chin is still a war zone especially on my lower and right part of my chin. Left part of chin is left with small bumps, not as big flared ones like on the lower and right part. sign.... :( But I can tell it is not as bad as previous tho. I might post some pictures tmr to document.

I am taking Advil to reduce the inflammation like twice a day.

Question hope if anyone can answer:

Will the inflammation become resistant to advil like antibiotics if taking long term? Because what I heard if girls have period cramp and take pain killers, the effects of the med will become not as effective and have to take more each time to kill the pain.

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 09/11/2011 7:37 pm

I finally bought burnout sunscreen spf 32 and used it for the first time yesterday(9/10/11). Compared to Vanicream spf 60, the finish it very matte and very light. Rub in very well (I have fair skin). There was a minor tingling feeling when putting on this sunscreen but went away very quickly. It is a little tacky film left behind. When I applied foundation on top of it, the foundation could not spread as easily and as far compared vanicream was used.

But to my surprise, burnout sunscreen act a very excellent primer for me!!! It helped my makeup last all day long!! No exaggerating! My base make up will normally wear off and mixed with my own oil which I have to blot every now and then during the day. But when I used burnout, I basically did not blot at all and my base make up still stayed very very put. In other words, this sunscreen controls my oils at a very impressive level.

Plus, I am never ever able to make my eye makeup last all day even when UDPP is used; eye makeup (especially eyeliner I used gel liner from Clinique) always crease in my eyelid fold (typical Asian eyes) and smudge toward south, making me into a panda. Yesterday I went to clubbing. Normally my eye makeup and base (could not touch up) will become disaster after clubbing, but not this time! May eye liners (top and bottom) were still there! I got pretty sweaty from clubbing. There were only unnoticeable smudge. Good job BURNOUT SUNSCREEN!!!!!!!!!

As for the sun protection ability, since I only used it for one day, I cannot tell yet. And I do not think I will have chances to travel in the near future so this sunscreen will only be challenged by the Texas Sun. I am a UV protection freak and want to be as pale skin as possible. No matter what, I am not the kind of people who would think sunscreen will have 100% protection. I always hide in shades or wear long sleeves. When I used to go to beach in Taiwan, I always reapplied sunscreen every like 20 mins (no exaggerating) , so I rarely got sun burn every since I became aware of the importance of UV protection and became a pale skin fan (when I was around 17 years old).

For my skin progression, all my acne seems to calm down a lot. I picked some plugs and pimples yesterday so there are some scabs left behind. I didn't use tretinoin when I got back. I was so too tired. But I managed to wash my face anyways. BTW I really like Albolene. It removes makeup efficiently even including eye makeup.

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 09/14/2011 9:29 pm

I have been using Burnout spf 32 sunscreen for 3 days and I want to say I like this a lot better than Vanicream spf 60!!!!!!!!!

It seriously make my makeup still very very put throughout the day; probably the best makeup primer I have ever used!

It is very light and sheer to apply on face. No white cast for me and dries to a matte finish. It gave me just enough hydration unlike vanicream which gave me too much hydration and made me shiny face. It will leave a tacky feeling after applied. but because of the tackiness, it acts like a glue to make the foundation and concealer really stick on your face. Plus, it has very impressive oil control power for me!!!!!! I believe because of the high content of zinc oxide. (18.6%). When I used vanicream, I often saw my foundation literally drifted on my oil and therefore I had to blot my face with tissue and touch up whenever I went to restroom, although this problem did not happen just because of vanicream, I always have this problem every since I hit my puberty and started to use makeup.

I don know if I am paranoid or what, I even feel this sunscreen help to calm to pimple a lot!!!! Maybe due to the anti-inflammatory power of zinc oxide?

Burnout spf 32 (The blue and white tube)

Pros

Reasonable priced

Sheer

Light

Dries to a matte finish

Make makeup long lasting (over 12 hour lasting power!!!!)

Controls oil

Physical sun protection ingredient (18.6% of zinc oxide)

Cons

Only spf 32

The tackiness left behind so applying makeup will have to take some effort the blend, but this can be solved by having a good wait for 5 mins, then applying makeup. Normally I won't have time to wait so I just apply a tiny amount of chafing gel on my problem area to create a smooth surface (the area I need to cover, I don't apply foundation on my whole face). Or simply powder over it.

Besides, also because of the tacky feeling, I can know the sunscreen is still there.

Edit:

I turned out hate this sunscreen because it is REALLY STICKY and i throw that away. I don't even want to use it on my body. My bf complain the steering wheel being sticky.

Current status

I think I have gone through the terrible IB. Now no active pimple but I have some non-inflamed whiteheads on my right cheek near my mouth area and my chin. (The kind that can only be seen when you stretch the skin) Still blackhead on nose. A lot of red mark left behind which can be cover with makeup easily. I might post pictures by the end of this week to document.

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 09/15/2011 1:29 pm

Well, I really do not want to jinx myself..... I have a painful pimple growing on underneath my right brow. :( It is my fault though that it was just a big underskin-non-inflamed-no-one-will-notice plug, and then I picked at it. I should have just left it alone and let tretinoin resolves the problem.

Anyways, FELLOW TRETINOIN USERS, HANG UP THERE!!!!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 09/21/2011 7:33 pm

Recently my skin is being freaking out maybe due to I am approaching my period. But not as freaking as IB and actually compare the IB, this is very light and mild. I was beaten by the temptation of picking on my blackheads on my nose again.......... Anyways, all the pimples on my face now are "coverable" by makeup.

I might take some pics sometime.

I am also trying to put only tretinoin before bed instead of putting moisturizer first. Again, I heard tretinoin by its own on the face works better.

Right now in the morning to combat the dryness after Burnout sunscreen, I simply put a very thin layer of moisturizer. I used vanicream spf 60 as a moisturizer for twice. No matter how tiny I use it, it just gave me some oiliness on my face. My nighttime moisturizer (Vanicream) works fine and better for me that hasn't given me any shininess yet.

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 10/06/2011 8:07 pm

I haven't update here for some time because I was very busy at moving, working and school. Anyways I am here.

My skin status is OK, most pimple pop up heal and disappear pretty quickly. In other words, pimples occurred are not as deep and big as before which is a very good sign that tretinoin is working on me. But I still have quite a few hard underskin non inflamed plugs mostly on my right cheek. I failed to resist and picked at them today. Hopefully they don't get inflamed.

A lot of red marks left behind either by the post healed skin from pimples or my picking, which luckily are all coverable with makeup.

No active pimples at the moment as of today. I may upload some pictures recently.

BTW

I don't use Albolene to precleanse anymore except to remove eye makeup.

I rarely use Vanicream at night unless my face is really dry. Or If my face is really peely, I would simply skip a night of tretinoin. I don't get as peely as before from using tretinoin. My nose got really dry tho from consistent blowing so I apply tretinoin on my nose only before apply burnout.

Plus, I found a really good way of easing the stickiness of burnout sunscreen by mixing very little of chafing gel in it. Makeup is applied much easier.

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 11/09/2011 2:50 pm

I haven't update here for some time.

Here is the status:

99% cleared

Still dry flaky skin

Big pores with blackheads on my nose.

Big pores on center of my face

Underskin hard plugs are gone mostly.

Two small active pimple one on forehead and one on left eyebrow.

Here is the regime

The burnout sunscreen I raved before is really tacky and hard to apply makeup on top. So I stopped using that for about a week. I suspected it breaking out because since I stopped using it for 2 weeks my breakouts heal better and underskin bumps haven't come back for a week.

Still searching for the sunscreen.

Also right now I changed my moisturizer to Embryolisse which is more smooth to the touch even though I suspected it breaking me out, it turned out not breaking me out.

I also tried out Sebamed cleanser which I bought in Costco. This stuff made my face all itching and peely so bad. And cetaphil gel cleanser is not cleaning effectively.

I bought Avene gel cleanser on drugstore and am waiting for it. Currently I am using The body shop tea tree gel cleanser.

Regime:

AM

The body shop cleanser

Embryolisse

Makeup

PM

The body shop cleanser

Embryolisse

15 mins waiting

Tretinoin

MemberMember
(@gems2889)

Posted : 11/09/2011 9:14 pm

great progress :) I cant wait to be at least 95% clear. thanks for sharing ur log.

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 11/14/2011 3:51 pm

I'd like to update my regime products that I am recently pretty satisfied. Keep my skin moisturized without noticeable flakes and I am able to put makeup on easily.

Also I got Avene Cleanance Soap-less Gel Cleanser and I am liking it very much that it cleanse my skin thoroughly without drying. The formula is a thick gel that I only need to use small amount. I feel after I started using this cleanser, it made my skin very comfortable and reduced my blackheads.

I am also back to my Cerave cream to experiment again because I really like how it moisturizes my skin without making my skin look oily and greasy.

I got some sample of Solbar sunscreen shield spf 40 and using it for around a week and am liking it as well. No greasy or sticky feeling but moisturized my skin and makeup can be applied easily and stay put.

Status

Some small scabs and flakes on my nose and between my eyes due to picking on blackheads or underskin hard plugs.

No active pimples

AM

Avene Cleanance Soap-less Gel Cleanser

Cerave Cream (only at where flakes are noticeable)

Solbar shield Spf 40

Makeup (Kett foundation, Ben Nye powder, Mac blush)

PM

Avene Cleanance Soap-less Gel Cleanser

Cerave Cream (Whole face and neck)

Wait 30 mins or so

Tretinoin

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 11/15/2011 2:05 am

Well Cerave is really triggering my pimples...... Because I just took my makeup off and a lot of small tiny pus appeared.

Go back to Embryolisse.

MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 11/15/2011 3:12 am

hey i also use tretinoin and have seen great results from it... although i have never applied moisturizer before applying it because that would cancel out the tretinoin

MemberMember
(@happily-after)

Posted : 11/16/2011 1:20 am

I think I found a way to reduce my flakes to minimum or even zero. The weapon is 1% Hydrocortisone cream.

I was watching Dr. Schultz youtube channel explaining

When Moisturizing Doesn't Help Your Skin

which totally answered my question I am so confused about because I tried so many moisturizers but my flakes are still there and oily at the same time.

It also came to my mind that when I was in Taiwan seeing derm due to the excessive peely face from using tretinoin. She did not explain me at all but simply prescribed me some steroid cream. The cream acted wonderfully on my face which I never know my face could be plump and smooth and flakes free. However, if I stopped using acne cream, my pimples come back. So I resumed the tretinoin that time and being peely again then stopped using then went to derm then got some antibiotics pills for several month (great result) until I came to US and ran out of pills......the time I started to seek a way helping my complexion by myself.

I used 1% Hydrocortisone cream this morning after washed my face then apply some moisturizer on top and then sunscreen. My makeup never went on smoothly since I started using tretinoin until today. Even though there are still some flakes which caused by tretinoin and my picking, when I got home tonite, washed my face, and flakes disappeared a lot! There areas I picked calmed down a lot.

All this experiment today and the results I saw, I figured that I am using tretinoin on the whole face but the flakes only appear on my oily part of my face instead of normal part of my face, this is not right. Oily face should never have flakes unless it was irritated and therefore inflamed. It is not because of dryness. Therefore, in my case, my face is having retinol dermatitis instead of being "dry". How I should reduce the flakes from retinol dermatitisis is not by using moisturizer but by reducing inflammation reaction.

I will report the progress.

Here is my bare face after applied Hydrocortisone cream which is only a CVS brand.

All the red spots are from my picking.......

No active at the moment.

MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 11/16/2011 2:15 am

the purpose of tretinoin is to dry out your acne and to prevent future acne. Your face is flaking up because that is the side effects of tretinoin; tretinoin purposely dries up your face and at the same time it dries out your acne. Here's the thing, when you apply moisturizer before the tretinoin, the affects of the tretinoin cancels out. Instead, you should try applying moisturizer in the morning after washing your face. Hope this helps! Tretinoin works great for me!

MemberMember
(@paperboy-bike)

Posted : 11/16/2011 4:45 am

Word of warning, ideally you shouldn't use steroid creams on your face but if you have to they should low strength and only for a few days at a time otherwise it can cause things like skin atophy where it permanlety thins your skin so it kinda looks like tissue paper. I'd steer clear of using it on your face.