Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krrrs10

Hello- New user here

Hello- I have to first say that everyone's stories have made me feel a lot better- basic background on me- I had completely clear skin until I hit 20- it started with a huge red bump on my NOSE around that age and just kept getting worse. I get cystic acne now, especially before my period. I have been to many humiliating dermatology appointments in the past and even tried a clinical trial, creams, proactiv, you name it- nothing worked. About a year ago, my skin completely cleared without me doing anything besids using Proactiv(totally thought I was cured)- I went over 6 months or more without a cyst- suddenly, it is back and worse than ever- I have three on one side (almost connected to each other) and one on the other side of my cheek.

I definitely have a high oil production, as my forehead gets shiny as hell by the end of the day, etc. I have many deep scars from the off and on breakouts- I used to think I was a pretty okay looking girl but I honestly feel destroyed.

I am sick of this cycle and have come to a point where I feel suicidal (I won't do it, but I think most of you know the feeling). I have lost money calling out of work because I could not face anyone and I have cancelled social events and important things because I just couldn't stand to have people wondering what the hell was going on on my face. I am also now a "skin analyzer" of everyone I meet (have seen many people are the same).

I have a derm appt this week but I am sick of trying stuff that does not work- at this point I don't even care if it disfigures me or kills me, but I need to try something real. I want to try to get on Accutane asap.

The scariest part for me is this Initial breakout....how bad has it gotten for some of you? Are the side effects worth it? How long does it take to get the ball rolling on getting started?

Hello- I have to first say that everyone's stories have made me feel a lot better- basic background on me- I had completely clear skin until I hit 20- it started with a huge red bump on my NOSE around that age and just kept getting worse. I get cystic acne now, especially before my period. I have been to many humiliating dermatology appointments in the past and even tried a clinical trial, creams, proactiv, you name it- nothing worked. About a year ago, my skin completely cleared without me doing anything besids using Proactiv(totally thought I was cured)- I went over 6 months or more without a cyst- suddenly, it is back and worse than ever- I have three on one side (almost connected to each other) and one on the other side of my cheek.

I definitely have a high oil production, as my forehead gets shiny as hell by the end of the day, etc. I have many deep scars from the off and on breakouts- I used to think I was a pretty okay looking girl but I honestly feel destroyed.

I am sick of this cycle and have come to a point where I feel suicidal (I won't do it, but I think most of you know the feeling). I have lost money calling out of work because I could not face anyone and I have cancelled social events and important things because I just couldn't stand to have people wondering what the hell was going on on my face. I am also now a "skin analyzer" of everyone I meet (have seen many people are the same).

I have a derm appt this week but I am sick of trying stuff that does not work- at this point I don't even care if it disfigures me or kills me, but I need to try something real. I want to try to get on Accutane asap.

The scariest part for me is this Initial breakout....how bad has it gotten for some of you? Are the side effects worth it? How long does it take to get the ball rolling on getting started?

Okay. First off, acne is nothing to consider killing yourself over. It's a skin condition, period. That's it. It can be frustrating and embarrassing as we all know, but it is what it is.

You need to know the full list of side effects and determine if it would be worth risking them. And trust me, it's a long list. The initial breakout doesn't happen to everyone, most just continue breaking out like normal. But if your skin does disagree with the medicine at first, the initial breakout could obviously make your acne worse for a period of time.

In terms of a timeframe for seeing improvement, it usually occurs after the second month. Personally though, I'm breaking out more now in my third month than any other previous months. So it's definitely different for each person. That's another important thing to note; no Accutane experience is identical to another. So don't scare yourself silly reading horror stories of people on the medication, your results WILL vary. Good luck.

Hey, welcome to the Org! :D

You can be quite sure that many here have felt the way you feel and have experienced that despair of having tried countless things without the success. On a personal level, I can certainly relate to cancelling social events and things. That's been my story for the last 13 years.

Taking the fact that you have tried other things and that you acne has this kind of impact on your life, there's every chance you could at least have a shot at getting Accutane. That's kind of where I'm at now, hoping I could use those two factors at least to have my doctor refer me for Accutane.

My only knowledge of Accutane is the logs people keep here and I've certainly found that the breakouts and side effects can vary from person to person. In theory, lower doses to start should minimise the initial breakout, but it's all trial and error I guess. What you have to consider is if you would be prepared to put up with bad breakouts or prominent side effects to get to the point where you have skin you're happy with.

:D

Thank you guys so much- I went to the derm and he wanted to do antibiotics first. Kind of frustrating, but I hope it will help. Appreciate you guys taking the time to reply to me- I know it is so silly, it really is just a skin condition and there are much worse things I could be dealing with. Maybe because I live in L.A and vanity is in the water out here....anyway, I appreciate the replies and will be checking in on here more often as I visit the derm more. :cool:

It's not silly at all - perfectly natural to want to be happy with your appearance. :)

Hope things go well with the antibiotics. Sometimes it can get worse before it gets better, while your body adjusts, but they can help. If it works for you, that's a huge bonus. If it doesn't quite do the job, at least you'll be able to go to your derm in a few months and say, "I did what you asked".

Some will give Accutane without much persuading, some will have you go through the other options first. Luck of the draw I guess. I've had to go through the other options first. If things don't settle down and I go back and get refused again, I'll throw the doctor out the window! :lol:

One thing which you might like to do is take pictures of your skin to document how it goes. You don't have to share them with anyone if you don't want, but it's a good idea to keep it for yourself so you can track the progress. It's easy to get too wrapped up in it and think it always looks bad, so sometimes pictures offer a bit of perspective. Personally, I've found that because I struggled to go and see my doctor when my skin was bad, I only ever went when it looked alright. So because it looked alright I wasn't given Accutane. If I had taken pictures with me to show what I had been dealing with, it would have been a different story. Just a thought, might be of use to you. :)

Okay. First off, acne is nothing to consider killing yourself over. It's a skin condition, period. That's it. It can be frustrating and embarrassing as we all know, but it is what it is.

You need to know the full list of side effects and determine if it would be worth risking them. And trust me, it's a long list. The initial breakout doesn't happen to everyone, most just continue breaking out like normal. But if your skin does disagree with the medicine at first, the initial breakout could obviously make your acne worse for a period of time.

In terms of a timeframe for seeing improvement, it usually occurs after the second month. Personally though, I'm breaking out more now in my third month than any other previous months. So it's definitely different for each person. That's another important thing to note; no Accutane experience is identical to another. So don't scare yourself silly reading horror stories of people on the medication, your results WILL vary. Good luck.

Very nice advice TamaDrummer. What I can say is that suicide attempts is independent of anxiety and depressive symptoms. Our friend here should seek support from love ones if not from a professional.