Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OK girls. So I got a prescription of 50 mg Spiro. I've been taking it since July 21th. I notice some improvements, but I still get little cysts before my period or mid cycle pimples. I take also Doxy 100 mg.

My question is how long does it take to see the REAL RESULTS of Spironolactone. And when I'll figure out that it doesn't work for me? I have moderate-to-severe cystic acne.

Any responses would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

Edited by Natashagirl

I just started on spiro 50mg about 2 weeks ago ( I also have moderate-severe cystic acne), and my derm told me it would take about 3 months to see results, with full results after about 6 months. However, I was only supposed to be on the 50mg for the first 10 days and then bump up to 100mg. I was having some troubling side effects (severe headaches, breathing difficulties, low blood pressure) and I think it would be really tough on my system to double the dose, so I'm staying at 50mg. From what I've seen on these forums, most people recommend 100-200mg to really see drastic results after the first few months and then lowering down to a maintenance dose of 50-100mg. If you haven't been having any side effects on the 50mg, I would ask you're derm about upping your dose to 75-100. The 50 is fine, but if you can handle more, you might see better results in the long run. Also, I've seen that adding a birth control regimen (usually Yaz or Dianette) increases the skin-clearing effects of the spiro. Personally, I'm not using a birth control, because I want to see how well the spiro works by itself.

Its a lengthy process, but I've dealt with acne for 10 years, so a few months seems like no time if the spiro actually helps things in the end :)

So spiro does take time to work.....

Well, I've heard about BCP too, but I know that as stop taking them acne comes back even worse and angrier. Becoz of that I'm kinda not sure if I should take BCP. And the blood clots...I'd love to try Accutane, but still hope that Spiro would control my cystic acne someway.

I've been on spiro since February and I didn't start seeing real results until July or August. My derm told me that it normally takes about 6 - 8 months to work and he was right :) Spiro doesn't work overnight or even in a few months. It takes time, but it is well worth it!!!

I've seen pretty good results at the three month mark. I"m on 150mgs though. You can look at my blog thingy. I tracked my progress and just put a picture up.

I was wondering does Spiro have the same affect as BCPs I mean acne comes back as u stop it??

Yes, you would need to do something else to control the acne after stopping spiro. Like topical retinoids or the acne.org regimen, etc.

Actually I'm doing Dan's regimen now. BP is really good. However I am kinda confused about spironolactone. Some women say that it helped them after 3 months, some of 'em say that they saw the real results only after 6-7 months of taking it, and there are some of women that have not seen any results with Spiro. I've been takin' it since July 20th. I've seen some improvements, but I still get premenstrual breakouts and mid cycle pimples. This month my skin is doin' better tho (t-t-t-t). My dosage is still 50 mg. My derm. doesn't want me to take higher dose. So I am still waiting patiently to see what will happen.

I've been reading reviews 'bout Spiro, but they confuse me even more,lol. SInce erveryone's skin is different-they got different results. I really want this med to work,'cuz I don't wanna take BCP or Accutane.

Any words of support and courage would be appreciated.

It's been 3 months to the date for me. Here's what I look like.

I still get spots here or there, but it's much improved. It really depends on the person and the dose.

It's been 3 months to the date for me. Here's what I look like.

I still get spots here or there, but it's much improved. It really depends on the person and the dose.

post-155115-0-75402600-1317701524_thumb.

post-155115-0-75402600-1317701524_thumb.

Hi Feebedel! Your skin looks really good. It's acne free on this pic. But how it was BEFORE it? I mean was your acne severe cystic acne before, or mildish acne? If you have some "before" pics, pls put 'em here, in order to comparison.eusa_think.gif

I really really wish I had before pics but it was so bad I wouldn't take pictures of myself which I wish I had gotten over it and done it. Grrr. I had cystic acne and it was pretty gross. my face would bleed (picking) and it HURT. I remember crying on the phone to my mom I was so depressed. She was like oh it can't be that bad and when I went home she was like oh... yeah that's bad. I'd classify it as on the upper end of moderate acne. I'll try and see if I can find something to post.

I've been taking Spiro ( 50 mg) since July 21th 2011. For about 3 months. I notice some improvements, big cysts are reduced for 50%. Now I get mid cycle or premenstrual breakouts, but this month they were smaller. But whiteheads are still forming on my cheeks. It seems like nothing can stop them from forming. Doesn't matter how many times I wash my face, what I eat, they are still there.

My question is simple and pretty common: how long approximately does it take for Spiro to see the FULL results?