Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GreenEyes33

Coconut Oil Question

So right now (and for the last 3 plus months) I've been using jojoba oil to remove makeup and clean/moisturize my face. I never got an IB and it works great.

Lately I've been hearing a lot about coconut oil, and I'm kind of curious to try it. I want to eat it, and have heard you can add it to your green tea, but how? I find my diet sometimes lacks good fats like evoo, butter, avacado, and so Im going to try adding in coconut oil. I've also heard you can cook with it and I'm wondering whats better to cook with- butter or coconut oil? If I say, saute my veggies with coconut oil will they taste like coconuts? :lol:

And while I'm buying and using coconut oil (and hopefully I'll find it for a good price) I thought, why not try it out on my face too? Can anyone tell me how to do that exactly? Do I just use it as a moisturizer after I cleanse? Or can I replace my jojoba oil and use it as a cleanser?

Thanks!

Alright, so I can help with some of this. I recommend unsalted butter as your main fat; it's cheap and generally healthy.

If you eat coconut oil you'll want extra virgin coconut oil, but it's expensive and a lot of people get nauseous when they eat it (it's an antibacterial and antifungal). To minimize this eat it with other foods rather than on its own and start with a teaspoon and work your way up over time. Its flavor is not too strong; your food will have a slight coconut flavor but nothing overbearing. Butter and coconut oil are good to cook with because they can withstand higher heats and they have a higher smoke point (where the oil starts to smoke and become carcinogenic) compared to vegetable oils. I wouldn't say one's better than the other, but you won't get nauseous from butter so I prefer it. Use the oil that best complements whatever it is you're cooking. I'd also eat some extra virgin olive oil, but don't overdue it (omega 6 to omega 3) and I wouldn't cook with it at higher temps.

I really believe a higher fat diet with moderate protein and moderate to low carbohydrates (complex carbs preferably) is best for health and skin.

And about putting coconut oil on your skin, I'd be careful. Test it out on a small part of your face before you go dousing yourself in it. Some people really benefit from it but others break out horribly; it's supposedly pretty comedogenic. I don't really have advise for how to use it as I avoid cleansers and stick to cold water so someone else can help you out with that.

I really like cooking with coconut oil. I have organic refined oil, which I guess isn't ideal, because the unrefined stuff isn't put through the same processing. From what I've heard, the unrefined oil tastes mildly coconuty, but the refined stuff doesn't taste like much of anything. I fry eggs in it every morning. I wouldn't say it's better than butter, but about the same. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

As for skincare, I've never used it on my face for fear of it breaking me out. I've heard of plenty of people have bad reactions to it, so I'd be very careful. If you do use it on your face though, I'd like to hear about your results. I do use coconut oil as a body moisturizer, and so far I really like it. I use a little bit (seriously, only a teaspoon is enough for my entire body) and dab it on my chest, back, elbows and then legs. Then I sorta spread it out until I'm covered. My skin has been really smooth since and I think it may be helping my backne, though it's a little too early to tell.

Another use is as deodorant. I rub a little under my arms and I don't smell at all by the end of the day. Although I admit that I don't really sweat much to begin with, so I don't know how well this would work for someone else, especially if they have a job that requires a lot of physical activity.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks so much for the replies guys!

I just bought some organic virgin coconut oil and plan to start eating it and using it in cooking. I'm also really wanting to try it in my green tea as I've heard that as is a good idea and I love green tea. Not sure if I just scoop a glob in there or what lol.

I dont think I'll put in on my face afterall. Right now I have NO spots and I really dont want to go and mess that up by putting something new on my face. I know I need more fat in my diet so Im happy to eat it but yeah, I think I will stay away from using it on my face for now.

Thanks so much for your help and advice!