Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris1337

Coenzyme-A Vitamins to stop oil?

Hey guys. I'm just wondering about this. I have SUPER oily skin, looks like I massaged olive oil on my face 45 minutes after washing. I know this is the root to all my skin problems. I've tried literally everything else, with accutane being the last on my list. I never wanted to try it cause im scared of the few months of using no products. I know i will break out and scar horrible.

I've been a bit scared of the b5 thing since my hair is one of the few things i like about myself. But im keeping is as a last resort and im getting ever closer to trying it.

I just searched co enzyme A and found this product

http://www.vitacost.com/Coenzyme-A-Technol...#ProductReviews

Says it delivers 1000mgs of CoA along with a couple other things. I'm wondering if this may have the same effect or is 1000mgs too little? How much CoA is produced from 10gs of b5?

I used to have very oily skin and as soon as I cut soy out of my diet, my sebum production regulated itself. Probably a bit too much in fact, I wish it was a bit more oily actually. Have you tried eliminating soy/gluten/dairy?

I wouldn't recommend b5 megadosing because that's not exactly natural.

You're better off improving your lifestyle (exercise, sleep, stress, etc.) and diet than hoping for a miracle pill. It's great to supplement (I take over 30 individual supplements) but if you're not improving all aspects of your life, those pills are going to waste because any benefits they have, you'll be undoing with unhealthy lifestyle and eating habits.

Your sebum production should reduce when you avoid stimulating androgens by avoiding stimulating excess insulin. Keep all meals, drinks and snacks low to moderate glycemic load and consume nutrients that help your body manage blood sugar. Lifestyle habits like sleep and physical activity as well as muscle mass also help and affect how strict your diet needs to be.

More info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-t230714.html

I've tried that. I've been dieting for over 2 years and have tried everything as far as that goes. My skin clears up pretty well but my oil NEVER slows down.

My last diet was a ketogenic diet. No gluten, sugar or pretty much any carbs for that matter. Just healthy fats, vegetables and meat mostly noninflammatory . No soy or any common irritants or allergens.

My skin was looking pretty nice but my oil NEVER stopped. I have read everything in regards to diet and tried almost everything as well as topical stuff. I'm getting a bit desperate. I'm trying to avoid accutane and megadosing but this oil needs to stop. I tried saw palmetto and gugulipids and neither of them affected my oil. Have tried all cleansers and jojobo oil, stuff like that. Exfoliates, nothing helps.

My questions is about the coenzyme A. Will taking that in standard doses be enough to compare to a b5 mega dose. Thats all im wondering

I think i'm in the same boat as you. I have oily skin, though I don't have an issue with acne. It's mostly just a few clogged pores here and there, but you can't see those unless you're close to my face.

I was overweight for a long time, and my skin wasn't really that oily at all. I'd wake up with just a little on my nose and middle of forehead. I also ate whatever I wanted to, and my face never broke out. I had an attack of self-consciousness last year and began to eat much healthier in an effort to lose weight. I started losing weight, and my skin became more oily. I started hitting this board for ideas. I was on a low GI/GL diet for around 10 months, and lost even more weight. I was getting desperate as my face kept getting more oily. I tried paleo for about a month as well. I woke up one morning terribly oily, the worst I had ever remembered seeing in my life. I had lost around 50 pounds and I am still pretty skinny for my standards.

I've also tried supplements, such as B5, Zinc, etc., and I eat lots of sweat potatoes and drink a green smoothie every night (I get a lot of beta-carotene). I'm starting to think i'm just sensitive to DHT more than others (testosterone gets converted to DHT, and DHT triggers the sebaceous glands to produce oil). My low GI/GL diet attempt was mostly high protein and fat. I'm guessing my testosterone has gone up because of losing weight and eating lots of fat. I've read studies that have correlated that as well. I also feel more "manly" and am aroused all the time.

I think my next option is trying vitamin A (retinyl, not beta-carotene) as well. Over the last month I have ditched my low GI/GL diet, and am now eating more carbs like I had used to. I am also lowering my fat intake because it was pretty high before. I absolutely do think that low GI/GL and paleo are real healthy diets, I just don't think I can keep doing it because of the oiliness I now have. I'm going to continue my high carb / low-fat diet, gain some weight back, and then I will be able to conclude whether or not testosterone was a major player. Past years of not having a very oily face seem to point that way.

Vegetables are carbs. You can eat carbs, but you should not eat high glycemic load.

Yes, some have more of the enzymes to convert DHT than others. And some have receptors that are more sensitive than others. Did you keep up the zinc or just try and drop it when it didn't magically clear you? It's a good DHT inhibitor. As is lycopene, green tea, beta sitosterol which is in all plant oils, etc. Do you consume dairy which contains a precursor to DHT?

I think i'm in the same boat as you. I have oily skin, though I don't have an issue with acne. It's mostly just a few clogged pores here and there, but you can't see those unless you're close to my face.

I was overweight for a long time, and my skin wasn't really that oily at all. I'd wake up with just a little on my nose and middle of forehead. I also ate whatever I wanted to, and my face never broke out. I had an attack of self-consciousness last year and began to eat much healthier in an effort to lose weight. I started losing weight, and my skin became more oily. I started hitting this board for ideas. I was on a low GI/GL diet for around 10 months, and lost even more weight. I was getting desperate as my face kept getting more oily. I tried paleo for about a month as well. I woke up one morning terribly oily, the worst I had ever remembered seeing in my life. I had lost around 50 pounds and I am still pretty skinny for my standards.

I've also tried supplements, such as B5, Zinc, etc., and I eat lots of sweat potatoes and drink a green smoothie every night (I get a lot of beta-carotene). I'm starting to think i'm just sensitive to DHT more than others (testosterone gets converted to DHT, and DHT triggers the sebaceous glands to produce oil). My low GI/GL diet attempt was mostly high protein and fat. I'm guessing my testosterone has gone up because of losing weight and eating lots of fat. I've read studies that have correlated that as well. I also feel more "manly" and am aroused all the time.

I think my next option is trying vitamin A (retinyl, not beta-carotene) as well. Over the last month I have ditched my low GI/GL diet, and am now eating more carbs like I had used to. I am also lowering my fat intake because it was pretty high before. I absolutely do think that low GI/GL and paleo are real healthy diets, I just don't think I can keep doing it because of the oiliness I now have. I'm going to continue my high carb / low-fat diet, gain some weight back, and then I will be able to conclude whether or not testosterone was a major player. Past years of not having a very oily face seem to point that way.

Same thing happened to me after losing weight because of my healthy diets my oiliness and acne became worse, I think I'm as you just more sensitive to DHT and before because I had some fat stored (not much though) then I had more estrogen to counteract the effect of the testosterone. I still eat healthy but there are just some things that I have been avoiding because it lowers my estrogen and that gets my acne back, for example I basically avoid avocados, which have lots of betasisterol but for me it seems to just lower my estrogen instead of blocking DHT. Now I'm in healthy weight and feel great and not so oily or acne any more, being too skinny was the main culprit for me. Now I'm a female, not sure how that would work for males.

Vegetables are carbs. You can eat carbs, but you should not eat high glycemic load.

Yes, some have more of the enzymes to convert DHT than others. And some have receptors that are more sensitive than others. Did you keep up the zinc or just try and drop it when it didn't magically clear you? It's a good DHT inhibitor. As is lycopene, green tea, beta sitosterol which is in all plant oils, etc. Do you consume dairy which contains a precursor to DHT?

I did try 30mg of opti-zinc, once a day, for 2 months. I guess I didn't notice anything. I then tried B5 at 4 grams a day for a month, with no conclusive results. I could have stuck with them much longer, though I was getting desperate and I decided to quit supplements in case they were making things worse or unbalancing my internals too quickly while I was also losing weight.

I may find a DHT blocker formula and give that a go, as I am still somewhat hesitant on starting vitamin A (as a last resort).

I consume very, very little dairy right now. Before I started my diet last year, when I had a lot less oil on my face, I actually consumed a lot of dairy (pizza, cheeseburgers, mac'n'cheese, etc.).

Same thing happened to me after losing weight because of my healthy diets my oiliness and acne became worse, I think I'm as you just more sensitive to DHT and before because I had some fat stored (not much though) then I had more estrogen to counteract the effect of the testosterone. I still eat healthy but there are just some things that I have been avoiding because it lowers my estrogen and that gets my acne back, for example I basically avoid avocados, which have lots of betasisterol but for me it seems to just lower my estrogen instead of blocking DHT. Now I'm in healthy weight and feel great and not so oily or acne any more, being too skinny was the main culprit for me. Now I'm a female, not sure how that would work for males.

I feel your pain, damn hormones. I too will eventually get myself back up to a weight that I feel i'm more comfortable with. I felt and looked my best when I was 25lbs more than I am now.

I actually consume one avocado every night in my green smoothie. It adds a nice smooth texture to it, and makes it quite tasty. So I guess I have coincidentally been consuming a DHT blocker for the past few months.

I have the whole shibang. The only reason my acne isnt too horrible bad is the sheer number of products i massage into my skin. I quit one my skin goes nuts. I want to stop the oil so I can stop destroying my skin with prodcuts. The damage is really clear and noticable.

Yeah same with the dieting though. I did the EXTREMELY low carb, high protien and fat diet, while still avoiding candida and inflamitory foods. WAs quite the task. Good for skin, didnt help my oil.

As for the Pure coenzyme a thing I see it says something like,"coenzyme a module matrix 100mg" All it means is they use 1000mgs worth of stuff, panothin l caratine to create Coa.

Well im going to give this a shot.

Taking 2 grams of b5 and 2 gs of the coenzyme a thing or pantothine(the form right before CoA production). Going to take 120mgs of guggulsterones, and 600mgs of beta sitosteral.

So in a perfect world the beta sitosteral will cut some of my DHT prodcution and lower my oil a bit without messing anything else up. The guggul sterones will do what they do and inhibit sebum production. Any anything that manages to make it out will be dissolved by the Coenzyme A created by the b5 and panothine. Hopefully in doing half pantothine half b5 I wont run risk of the problems associated with b5 megadosing.

Worse case my hair falls out, I lose my sex drive, and still have oily skin. :think:

I also tried the optizinc for a few months, no real improvement so I cut it out in case it was making things worse

Edited by Chris1337