Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all. I'm new to the boards and really need some help. I'm 18 years old and have pretty severe acne for as long as I can remember. I've been on Accutane three times (two full 6 month doses and one low dose) with absolutely no long term results. My entire back is ravaged with scars from when everything hit the fan a few years ago. The first dose of Accutane took care of the insanely bad stuff, but didn't stop the oilyness. These days, I'm oily for absolutely no reason. It drives me insane. I recently read online that fish oil is a fairly common remedy, so I started taking it. The oil stopped, but now I have many deep nodules that hurt badly. They aren't inflamed and you really can't tell they're there unless you really pay attention, but they hurt like all hell in certain places (mainly the back of my neck, jawline, and a few on my face, but those don't hurt). I really don't want to stop taking the fish oil because I'm loving not being an oil slick. But at the same time, I can't live with these nodules day in and day out. My parents thought I should go back on Accutane for a fourth time, but have changed their minds since they see that I'm not oily after taking the fish oil. I really don't want to have to go on Accutane again because it hasn't worked at all. I just want the acne to stop already so I can have the scars treated. I use a salicylic acid based wash twice a day and a benzoyl peroxide cream as needed. Please, is there anything I can do? I'm so desperate at this point. I'm so sick and tired of having blood on my shirts.

/edit: As I was typing this, I noticed a small cyst developing on my right shoulder. Please. Any advice is appreciated.

What was your dosage while you were on Accutane? Four courses is kinda excessive, but you may not have been on a high enough dosage to get the full, lasting effect of the medication.

What was your dosage while you were on Accutane? Four courses is kinda excessive, but you may not have been on a high enough dosage to get the full, lasting effect of the medication.

The first full dose was gradual up to 2 60mg pills a day. I don't remember what the low dose was. The second full dose was 2 60mg pills a day throughout the whole treatment.

Btw, love your name. I play Tama drums too.

Hi, could you give an example of what you eat, breakfast, lunch dinner, snacks etc.? Thanks

Depends, really. Breakfast is either a bowl of cereal or scrambled eggs. Lunch is generally a sandwich of some sort. Occasionally an individual toaster pizza. Dinner varies a lot. Could be anything from steak to pasta to fish to chicken. Lotta variety. Snacks vary too. I really don't eat a lot in between meals, but it's usually a typical crunchy something. I eat fruit sometimes, but not as much. I take a One A Day multi vitamin with breakfast as well as one 1200mg Omega-3 fish oil caplet. Other than when I play my drums, I don't have a lot of physical activity.

I should mention that most of this is subject to change because I'm moving into my college dorm in a week. So what I eat and my rate of physical activity is certainly going to change.

/edit: I just wanted to say what brand of fish oil caplets I'm taking. They're Kirkland Signature (from Costco) Eneric Coated 1200mg caplets with 684mg of Omega-3 fatty acid. My math was way off. I thought 684mg came out to 6 grams. So it's 1.2 grams of everything in the pill and only a little more than half a gram of omega-3's. Should I be taking more? I've heard of people taking 3 to 4 grams a day.

Edited by ae123

Have you tried anything other than Accutane? There are other topical treatments that could do you some good. And that's awesome about you playing Tama too, I'm a big birch/bubinga fan myself.

Have you tried anything other than Accutane? There are other topical treatments that could do you some good. And that's awesome about you playing Tama too, I'm a big birch/bubinga fan myself.

I was on tetracyclene (dunno if I spelled that right) for quite some time back when I was in 6th grade, but it did absolutely nothing. My acne was different back then though. I don't remember having many nodules or cysts. They were mostly whiteheads, but they were everywhere. It sort of evolved over time. I ended up taking Accutane when my body acne literally began to explode. I've tried Proactiv, various vitamin regimens, benzoyl peroxide versus salacytic acid washes, you name it. The only thing that had any effect was the Accutane, but only while I was taking it. I'm a little wary about upping the fish oil though. I read on the reviews section that it caused some people to break out with more cysts and that's the absolute last thing I want, especially since these nodules really only started since I started taking the fish oil. On the other hand, it has dried me up nicely and the recommended doses I've read about have been around 3-4g a day and there really isn't any proof that it's linked to the fish oil. My skin is so up and down that it's hard to pinpoint what could've caused something. What do you guys think?

The birch/bubinga's are awesome. I've got a Superstar Hyperdrive kit myself. Think it's a birch model.

Edited by ae123