Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
laura.yancie

Question about BACTRIM/SEPTRA

So I am currently on Bactrim/Septra and it is about my 5th day. I haven't seen any improvement whats so ever while taking this drug. I am not surprised either, because it is only the 5th day.

But my question is, for people who have been on Bactrim/Septra, how fast did your experiences take to see improvement?

I feel like I am wasting my time, to be honest. I was hoping to see some kind of improvement but I have seen none.

Actually to be more specific, how long did it take to kick in?

2, 3 weeks? A month?

I really wanted Bactrim to work for me; it was pretty much my derm's last resort. I saw a bunch of positive reviews and decided to try it, despite the scary possible side effects. I didn't see any side effects for a week, so I relaxed. I saw that some people said that their skin cleared up quickly- the first day or so- and maybe it's different with different people, but I don't see much of a difference. Now I'm on day 13 and my skin is smoother, but my face is red and I have a swollen lymph node on my neck and a bunch of little red dots all over my body. They don't itch or anything, but I'm still worried. I plan on stopping the medication and calling my doctor; this isn't worth damaging my health for. But Bactrim works differently on different people, so I can't really say how long it would take for you. I've been looking through the boards/forums/posts and the results are varied. Some people say 10-14 days, others say 1-2 months.

2, 3 weeks? A month?

I really wanted Bactrim to work for me; it was pretty much my derm's last resort. I saw a bunch of positive reviews and decided to try it, despite the scary possible side effects. I didn't see any side effects for a week, so I relaxed. I saw that some people said that their skin cleared up quickly- the first day or so- and maybe it's different with different people, but I don't see much of a difference. Now I'm on day 13 and my skin is smoother, but my face is red and I have a swollen lymph node on my neck and a bunch of little red dots all over my body. They don't itch or anything, but I'm still worried. I plan on stopping the medication and calling my doctor; this isn't worth damaging my health for. But Bactrim works differently on different people, so I can't really say how long it would take for you. I've been looking through the boards/forums/posts and the results are varied. Some people say 10-14 days, others say 1-2 months.

Thank you so much for your reply! I guess I just need to be patient.

2, 3 weeks? A month?

You're welcome. I hope for the best for you :) I went and saw the doctor today; apparently it's just a drug rash, nothing to be worried about. So yeah, look out for that too.

2, 3 weeks? A month?

You're welcome. I hope for the best for you :) I went and saw the doctor today; apparently it's just a drug rash, nothing to be worried about. So yeah, look out for that too.

I definitely will look out for that! So far I haven't had any side effects, which is a plus! The only thing I have noticed while using Bactrim is the foods that I crave now, but that could just be me lol. Are you going to continue taking Bactrim?

2, 3 weeks? A month?

I definitely will look out for that! So far I haven't had any side effects, which is a plus! The only thing I have noticed while using Bactrim is the foods that I crave now, but that could just be me lol. Are you going to continue taking Bactrim?

Yay, that's good! No, the doctors & I decided that Bactrim isn't worth it, but I have noticed that the texture of my face is much better and my skin seems to have clear up somewhat due to that. Both of the doctors (the general practictioners) did say that it looked better too. Maybe my face would have cleared up more if I continued taking it, but this rash is uglyyy. Hopefully the acne doesn't come back with a vengeance. How long have you been taking it now? So in response to your first question, I would say it took about 2 weeks for my skin to improve.

I started taking Septra last Tuesday, so day 7! It has been a week today. So far I see absolutely no improvement in my skin, which is disappointing. :( Did you see any improvement when you were on day 7, or was your face relatively the same?

So when you say it took 2 weeks, you started seeing improvement after 2 weeks or in 2 weeks your skin looked better? haha, if that makes sense!

What is your acne like? I have mild-moderate acne, but very persistent, and it gets extremely bad around my period. Like now for instance haha. Looking forward to your reply! It's nice to actually talk to someone who used Septra and kind of saw results.

Yeah, I didn't see any difference at all the first 10 days or so. So just be patient :)

Huh, it sounds like the same question to me? Lol. Well, my skin looks better after two weeks.

I have oily skin and mild-moderate acne too. I never was prone to severe cysts or anything. I was on azithromycin before and that kept away most of acne on my forehead, but my derm took me off that. I've also been using adaplene (also known as differin) gel .1% and benzaclin (benzyol peroxide gel) for awhile. Mostly, I just wanted the acne on my cheeks to clear up (which isn't too bad, but it's definitely noticeable and always seems to be there)- mostly non-inflamed whiteheads that would turn into pimples (which would go away in 3-5 days; again, not the super inflamed painful ones). Yeah, I get period breakouts too; they're horrible. That's when I woulda few of those huge, painful ones.

This is so encouraging! Your skin sounds exactly like mine. My face is 100% clear on my forehead, on my nose and around my eyes (so my T-Zone). I used to get very large painful pimples on my forehead, but after using Doxycycline it completely eliminated all acne there. Which, I find kind of weird! Now I only breakout on the sides of my cheeks and sometimes the random, farely large pimple around my jawline. I used to think I got cystic pimples, but after doing research and looking at pictures of cysts, my large pimples are more whiteheads/nodules/pustules, or like you said, whiteheads that form into pimples. I do not have blackheads however or body acne.

Anyways, okay I will be patient. I have never been a patient person though! lol By the way, how old are you? Also, I have hormonal acne and I am currently on Diane35, so I am hoping that will help too. Have you ever tried Diane35?

I'm sorry for all the questions.

Ah also I forgot to mention, I am not on Septra DS. I am on 400mg/80mg instead of the high dosage 800mg/160mg. I take 2 pills at the same time, once daily, so my dosage would be a normal one to someone who takes Septra DS once daily. I am very curious if that will have any effect on the process.

What was your dosage?