Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
collegelaura

Pre-Accutane Log?!

Day 71!

Time to vent? I think so! Lol.... So I'm almost 1/2 way through my course (although I guess I might do 6 months instead of 5 if my derm suggests it.) I haven't had a major breakout or anything but DAMN my skins coloration is pretty shiitty. My red marks are super visible! And I seem to have pretty blotchy skin. I think I need to up the moisturizer. Has anyone noticed at month 2 1/2 taking steps backward in the progress? Cuz that's how I'm feeling at the moment. It's also winter which doesn't help redness. I'm just a little discouraged. I know the red marks won't be around for ever but it's a little saddening to see them appear worse. Hope things are going better for you guys!

Day 71!

Time to vent? I think so! Lol.... So I'm almost 1/2 way through my course (although I guess I might do 6 months instead of 5 if my derm suggests it.) I haven't had a major breakout or anything but DAMN my skins coloration is pretty shiitty. My red marks are super visible! And I seem to have pretty blotchy skin. I think I need to up the moisturizer. Has anyone noticed at month 2 1/2 taking steps backward in the progress? Cuz that's how I'm feeling at the moment. It's also winter which doesn't help redness. I'm just a little discouraged. I know the red marks won't be around for ever but it's a little saddening to see them appear worse. Hope things are going better for you guys!

Reading through your process everything sounds good so far :)

I can relate about the redness! I think it may look worst because of the skin is exfoliating all the dead skin out so it might look like your skin is progressing backwards, but it's just doing it's thing to clean out the bad stuff.

Good luck!

Day 71!

Reading through your process everything sounds good so far smile.png

I can relate about the redness! I think it may look worst because of the skin is exfoliating all the dead skin out so it might look like your skin is progressing backwards, but it's just doing it's thing to clean out the bad stuff.

Good luck!

Yeah, the redness could be aggravated by the exfoliation. Either way its super annoying blah:(

Day 80

Not much new to report, still have a lot of pigmentation on my cheeks. I think this might also because of the winter weather. I go running outside in the cold, and I think it might be too much for my skin to handle. Maybe I should start going to the gym?! Idk. Skin still really smooth but I did have on zit pop up this morning on my left cheek. Its the first one in a while. I have my dermatologist appointment in a little over a week. I'll let yall know if he says anything about pigmentation temporarily worsening while on accutane.

Hey! I know you've been on Claravis for a while now, but I have a questions about pre-accutane!

After your very first pregnancy test, did you have to go on the ipledge website and register yourself?

Or did the nurses do everything? I'm kind of confused because I had my first pregnancy test a little over a week ago, and the nurse told me that they were going to register me on the website, and when they do I'll get something in the mail to register??

I don't know what they were saying.. I'm just confused!

Could you please tell me what the pre-accutane steps were?

what I've done so far:

1st derm visit (got the ipledge booklet)

1st pregnancy/blood tests (signed some papers in the ipledge booklet and turned them in)

got prescribed birth control pills

Thank you!!

Hey! I know you've been on Claravis for a while now, but I have a questions about pre-accutane!

After your very first pregnancy test, did you have to go on the ipledge website and register yourself?

Or did the nurses do everything? I'm kind of confused because I had my first pregnancy test a little over a week ago, and the nurse told me that they were going to register me on the website, and when they do I'll get something in the mail to register??

I don't know what they were saying.. I'm just confused!

Could you please tell me what the pre-accutane steps were?

what I've done so far:

1st derm visit (got the ipledge booklet)

1st pregnancy/blood tests (signed some papers in the ipledge booklet and turned them in)

got prescribed birth control pills

Thank you!!

You will get something in the mail in order to go on the site yourself.

When you get the ipledge registration info in the mail you should go on the site and set up your account.

You probably won't have to do much until your next visit when they actually write you a prescription for accutane. At that point you will need to go one the site and answer some questions.

Day 100 THAS right! I'm in the triple digits yall! Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, just been busy with school! So , probably not much has changed since I last posted. I am rocking a pretty large zit on my forehead though;( I'm so jealous of people who are on month four without any zits at all. I am not one of those people. It makes me wonder if I may have to be on accutane for 6 months instead of 5. The only thing that's really changed since my last post is my skin redness. I kinda look like a tomato. If I blush, its almost painful....I know that seems weird but its true. Thats probably my biggest annoyance is my red face. My pigmentation, however, doesn't seem to be worsening so that is a plus. I am torn about what to do if I reach month 5 and I'm not completely clear of active acne. Like whether to go for another month or get off this stuff. Its funny how when you don't have accutane you want it sooooooo bad, and after youve been on it a few months you want to get off of it. Ah well. Hope all is well with everyrone.

Starting Month 5!

Hey guys! I'm all done with month 4 & things are pretty much the same as the last post. I had one major knarly zit on my cheek about....a week and a half ago. Other than that NOTHING. Absolutely NOTHING new in the way of active zits. Its weird that I've been getting these one or two MASSIVE pimples, but then nothing else anywhere. I saw my derm a few days ago and if I don't have a breakout this month, it'll be my last month. That means when I'm down my cumulative dose will be about 130 mg/kg. I think thats enough right?! I still have a REALLY red face & not much change in the way of pigmentation. I dont think being on accutane longer is gonna help w/ that stuff though, so Im cool with getting off this stuff after 5 months. Anyone browsing have success with getting rid of dark marks/ redness after accutane? I think thats my next step. Overall: I am happy I went on accutane, it's the only thing thats really truly worked for me. I'm a little disappointed that I'm left with some pigmentation/ possible scaring? but thats not accutane's fault. If anyone has ANY questions feel free to message me. Also for any of you skrillex fans, I was just reading a RollingStone on him and apparently he suffered from severe acne. Theres a video where you can kinda see it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFt3Ct1AZvU . Anyways it was kinda inspiring to read his story & how he overcame selfimage issues. Hope everyone is well.

So it's been over a month since I've been on! I realized I hadn't been stalking this site as much because my acne is not consuming my life as much anymore! I've been done with accutane for about a week now! I am pretty much acne free. I have a fair amount of discoloration on my cheeks BUT I will say it has signficantly improved over the past month. I think getting off of accutane will actually help the scars heal faster, at least that has been my experience so far. I think it might have to do with the fact that while accutane, if I got a cut anywhere on my skin it would take FOREVER to heal. Now, slowly, my skin is going back to its normal healing process. Overall I wanted to give my pros and cons of accutane in bullet form so its easier to read, for any of you out there on the fence. MESSAGE ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS! I really would love to help. I know how it feels to have acne really bad and feel positively hopeless about it!

OVERVIEW: 21 yr old female, 105 pounds, on accutane for five months. Noticed clearing after about a month. Noticed SIGNIFICANT clearing by end of month 2. By end of Month 3 pretty much all clear. End of Month 4 all clear, would get 1-2 pimples every 2 weeks or so. End of Course, NO ACTIVES, hyperpigmentation/ scarring on cheeks that have slowly started to show improvement after weaning off accutane.

Cons: (I'd like to end on the positives!)

-EXPENSIVE AS SHIT, no but really, for me (even with insurance) it was a strain on the wallet. Going to the doctor: $20 Getting Blood Drawn: $40 Perscription: $130. (that's only for 1 month!)

-time commitment- you have to be willing to stick it out, go to the derm a lot, and protect your face with sunscreen and lotion

-dry lips like you've never had before: this is a biggy, considering most eveyone gets it. Beware. I got prescription chapstick. I think hiker's use it when they climb like Everest haha. no joke.

-DEHYDRATED: for me this was probably the most annoying. I'm a big runner and I could not drink enough water to stay hydrated during a run. I'd cramp verrrrrrry easily on this stuff. For some people this isn't a problem, but I sweat a lot

-dry eyes: mostly only a problem for us contact users I'd imagine, but never the less I had one week where my eyes were so bloodshot I looked high all the time. Awkward.

PROS!!

-It killed the acne: NOTHING. & I mean NOTHING I've put on my face or swallowed has cleared my acne this well. For this reason it's worth it. Although it was expensive, its a pretty permanent solution and gets the job done

-Made face less oily: This will probably go away eventually, but right now I'm loving it, considering my face was like an oil slick before

-No more over the top skin cleaning: I used to have to methodically wash my face morning and night, then apply BP to all the big zits, then moisturize, then suntan lotion, etc... I'm not saying I have stopped washing my face, I'm just saying the skin upkeep is less involved. Simply washing morning and night is enough!

I gotta go to class but I'll come back and edit. There are def. more pros. Overall I'd say if your acne is bugging you enough, accutane is worth it in the long run.

Thankyou so much for making your blog! :) I am on only day two of Accutane now and reading all your stuff is really helpful! I am so happy for you that Accutane worked so well. I love seeing other sufferers out there finally get their clear skin they've been wishing for forever. I hope my story will be as positive as well, since I have tried everything out there I could try, so Accutane is my last hope! I started my own log as well, and it'll be nice to share whats going on throughout my course and everything and I hope it helps people like yours did for me! :)

Thankyou so much for making your blog! smile.png I am on only day two of Accutane now and reading all your stuff is really helpful! I am so happy for you that Accutane worked so well. I love seeing other sufferers out there finally get their clear skin they've been wishing for forever. I hope my story will be as positive as well, since I have tried everything out there I could try, so Accutane is my last hope! I started my own log as well, and it'll be nice to share whats going on throughout my course and everything and I hope it helps people like yours did for me! smile.png

Aw well thank you! I wish you all the best with Accutane. It is the only thing that worked for me, and I tried several different oral antibiotics. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. My biggest advice with Accutane is patience. I know you've probably been told this already, but time is usually what it takes to get clear skin on Accutane. Thankfully, I haven't had a single pimple for about a month now and nothing since I've gotten off of it. I never had an IB, but it did take a while for my already broken out skin to clear up( at least 2 months for things to really be noticeable). Remember to stay hydrated, have chapstick on you at all times, and wear sunscreen!

Not sure where I can post my question as I'm new here and due to start Accutane sometime this month - been reading the threads but no one seems to have asked this!

Do I HAVE to start Accutane on the second day of my period? I'm not sexually active and have not had sex since my last period so I know there's no chance I could be pregnant. Is there any other reason why I should wait til my period starts before taking the meds? For example does it affect hormone production or anything??

Hey! I wouldn't worry about when you start accutane. All that nonsense is just because the don't want you to get pregnant. I definitely did not start it the second day of my period and I'm fine. I don't think it affects hormone production at all.

Also update: I am 1 month post accutane and have a few questions for anyone browsing:

I know I've mentioned it before but I'm still having difficulty with red marks. I guess I've probably had them for about 6 months now and was curious if anyone had any suggestions. It's such a bummer because while the accutane cleared everything up on my face, i got left with this new mess.