Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
collegelaura

Pre-Accutane Log?!

Hey I started 1 day after you. Man I was so excited to pop that first pill, Im in Australia and didn't have to go through iPledge, just blood tests.

I'm on day 4 and so far my face is starting to feel stingy and my eyes are feeling dry and tired.

Goodluck! I'll be watching your progress.

Also try and take some photos because its always awesome to look back and see how far you have come, as you can see in my log my face is an explosion of acne right now. Staying positive!

Thanks for the post! Yeah I need to put up pictures to track the progress, even if they are hard to look at sometimes. I'm gonna read up on your log!

DAY 6

So I would say today is the first real day I've noticed that I'm actually on Accutane. My lips have DEFINITELY dried out to the point where I'm going to need to buy some heavy duty chap stick. My eyes are slightly dry, but not too bad. As for my skin....well I don't want to jinx it but I haven't had any extreme flare ups, in fact I would say the overall "tone" of my skin has definitely improved. I have not, however, really noticed a reduction of the acne that was there BEFORE the accutane. I just haven't gotten my typical amount of new acne spots that comes every week. Keeping my fingers crossed that I just see gradual improvement on this thing and no IB. So far so good guys!

Yep lets hope for no IB, the worse thing about tane imo! Good luck!

Ah I know I'm still really worried!

Day 8

So I know I said I'd only update once a week but I decided to update today because I noticed a few changes. I've noticed my skin starting to get pretty red, particularly my cheek area. I have been slowly weaning myself off of my face wash I used pre-tane but now I'm thinking I should definitely go to a very mild cleanser. My derm suggested cetaphil cleanser. Anyone have an opinion on that particular one? I guess this also means I need to be more strict with my moisturizer. It's just so strange for me b/c I've always had oily skin & never needed to moisturize.

Acne-wise I'd say I'm about the same, maybe a few more spots but nothing out of the ordinary. I do think I need to be drinking more water on accutane, I always feel dehydrated. Also, I just read up on how if you take accutane w/ fatty foods it absorbs wayyyyyyyy more. Wish I had read this earlier! Oftentimes I take it on the go with little food. So that's definitely something I will be changing.

Still no real IB keeping my fingers crossed.

Oh and keeping with my theme of log.....trying to turn over a new leaf and eat healthy while also starting accutane....... I will tell you what I ate today:)

Morning:

-oatmeal w/ strawberries

Lunch:

-sandwhich w/ turkey, multigrain bread, onion, tomato

Snack:

cereal (oatmeal squares) < - I am obessed w/ these!!

Dinner:

Stew (kinda gross) ,bread salad

Snack:

peanutbutter & bread

Water intake:

minimal probably only like four glasses!

Overall I have been eating better but I don't drink enough water, particularly since I usually run 45-50 minutes a day and sweat a ton. I could probably stand to switch a few carbs for vegetables or fruit, I'll try to improve that by my next update.

Hey Laura,

I'm glad you're improving your eating habits. I think that's one of the most important things anyone can do for their overall health. I became a vegetarian about two years ago, and I went from having the ttotm spot, to none for quite a while, until this past june, when I think my stopping bc ruined my hormonal balance, lol. Keep it up :)

Hey Laura,

I'm glad you're improving your eating habits. I think that's one of the most important things anyone can do for their overall health. I became a vegetarian about two years ago, and I went from having the ttotm spot, to none for quite a while, until this past june, when I think my stopping bc ruined my hormonal balance, lol. Keep it up smile.png

Thanks! I figure eating better can only help my skin & also my whole body of well, as course!

Day 11

So I think I may have the start of a break out, it's still to early to know for sure....but I do feel the like deep indent of a few big cysts starting to build on my hair line....I'll keep you guys posted lol. I've started taking my accutane with food. I'm not sure if I really have any good "fatty foods" but I've mostly used peanut butter?! I'm going to go to the store today and get some nuts. I drank alcohol for the first time on accutane, which I know is usually discouraged. I don't drink heavily (last night I had 1 1/2 beers) and I'm trying to limit only drinking every other weekend. It's difficult for a college student of 21! Anyway, I didn't notice any difference that most people had mentioned like getting drunk faster or having a particularly bad hangover. I'll definitely keep tabs on that though. Still no GREAT change for the better/ worse in my skin, not even a significant drying out of the skin, only the lips. I'm sure things will change within the next couple of weeks.....

Food Log:

Morning:

-oatmeal w/ brown sugar

Lunch:

-6" sub on ciabatta bread w/ turkey, lettuce, tomato, onion, green pepper, swiss cheese

-large chocolate chip cookie

Dinner:

-chicken w/ pasta

Foo

Day 12

So guys I'm REALLY THIRSTY like ALL the freaking time. I'm sure there have been others that have mentioned this side effect, but I didn't really realize it would be quite a drastic change. As a disclaimer I am a big runner so this maybe why I've noticed this more than others. Anyways, its really not a bad thing as it keeps me actually more on top of being hydrated. It will take some getting used to however.Also the inside of my nose has dried out, making my nose really itchy. The typical chapped lips are still here; pretty much live with chapstick on me 24/7 now. Skins same as yesterday, nothing new there.

Decided to completely ditch my old regimen pre-tane. This took a lot of strength! I've been so attached to my bp and facial scrubs for so long I was very wary of doing this. However, I feel I need to follow the advice of my dermatologist which was to only wash w/ cetaphil & moisturize. I really HATE moisturizing & my skin hasn't really dried out yet so I am only going to do it at night for now. I hope that by cutting off all other washes I can really commit to accutane & let it *hopefully* do its magic.

FOOD LOG:

Morning:

Oatmeal (dinosaur quaker eggs:)

Teddy Grahams

Lunch:

Pita Bread w/ peanut butter

....more teddy grahams

Dinner:

green peas, potatos, red peppers seasoned together!

...more teddy grahams

I got some veggies in today!!

Day 12

So guys I'm REALLY THIRSTY like ALL the freaking time. I'm sure there have been others that have mentioned this side effect, but I didn't really realize it would be quite a drastic change. As a disclaimer I am a big runner so this maybe why I've noticed this more than others. Anyways, its really not a bad thing as it keeps me actually more on top of being hydrated. It will take some getting used to however.Also the inside of my nose has dried out, making my nose really itchy. The typical chapped lips are still here; pretty much live with chapstick on me 24/7 now. Skins same as yesterday, nothing new there.

Decided to completely ditch my old regimen pre-tane. This took a lot of strength! I've been so attached to my bp and facial scrubs for so long I was very wary of doing this. However, I feel I need to follow the advice of my dermatologist which was to only wash w/ cetaphil & moisturize. I really HATE moisturizing & my skin hasn't really dried out yet so I am only going to do it at night for now. I hope that by cutting off all other washes I can really commit to accutane & let it *hopefully* do its magic.

FOOD LOG:

Morning:

Oatmeal (dinosaur quaker eggs:)

Teddy Grahams

Lunch:

Pita Bread w/ peanut butter

....more teddy grahams

Dinner:

green peas, potatos, red peppers seasoned together!

...more teddy grahams

I got some veggies in today!!

I know your skin hasn't dried out yet, but since you are already on day 12, it is coming soon! I'd say within a week you will notice a decrease in oil production.

@ sd85: Yeah I'm sure my skin will dry out seen, everything else seems to be!

Day 14

WEEK 2 YO! That's right 2 weeks down, many more to go. So my skin, I'm torn whether or not to say I'm starting to experience an IB. Like its not that bad, but I have been experiencing a little more breaking out than normal. However, I have experienced things like this before b/c my acne is just naturally cyclic. So I'm gonna go with: my skin has definitely NOT been clearing this week rather than saying its gotten actually worse. I don't think I'm gonna be one of those people who sees improvement by the first month unfortunately....but we shall see. I think sometimes I tend to look at my skin one moment and it seems to be clearing, then the next moment I definitely think it's gotten worse :<( Hmph. I dunno you guys. I'll just have to be patient.

Food:

B-fast: dinosaur quacker eggs

Lunch: teddy grahams & fruit smoothie

Dinner: Veggies, peanut butter sandwhich more teddy grahams

Yay Congrats :) I'm Also on day 14 wooooo

I definitely have an IB going on, it's gross. I had a meeting yesterday and last minute my mum had to force me out of the house.

Day 21

It's the start of week 3! AHH! So Since I updated last my skin hasn't changed a whole lot. I've noticed I've got a few more bumps but they are pretty small. Unnoticeable in some mirrors, but when I wash my face I can tell my face is "pointy bumpy." I guess this might be the IB....but I'm pretty sure if I asked anyone else they would say they haven't noticed much of a change in my skin. I'm hoping for more visible clearing here on out & week 4 brings some reduction of acne. Accutane work your acne magic please!! As far as side effects dry lips like nothing I've ever had before....but that's pretty much it. I am surprised at how little I "feel" this drug. Doxycycline had worse side effects, making me want to puke all the time. Yuck. Here's what I ate today, I've been getting better:

Breakfast

-trail mix bar

Lunch:

-oatmeal w/ strawberries

-wheat tortilla w/ peanut butter

-greek yogurt w/ raspberries

Dinner:

-vegetables

-2 granola bar

-bread w/ butter

Yay Congrats smile.png I'm Also on day 14 wooooo

I definitely have an IB going on, it's gross. I had a meeting yesterday and last minute my mum had to force me out of the house.

MONTH 1 DONE!!

Title says it all, I am 1/5 way through my accutane course. The good news: definitely showing some improvment. I saw some family members over thanksgiving who hadnt seen my since the summer and they commented on the improvement in my skin. The not so good news: skin still sucks. lol. I mean it's still not clear and I'm still getting new acne, and cysts:( I also will be off the pill for 4 days due to scheduling conflicts. Not a big deal, I KNOW. But also not very ideal. Ugh I still feel like I am on a roller coaster ride with my skin. I'm hoping month 2 brings more consistent clearing.....

MONTH 1 DONE!!

Title says it all, I am 1/5 way through my accutane course. The good news: definitely showing some improvment. I saw some family members over thanksgiving who hadnt seen my since the summer and they commented on the improvement in my skin. The not so good news: skin still sucks. lol. I mean it's still not clear and I'm still getting new acne, and cysts:( I also will be off the pill for 4 days due to scheduling conflicts. Not a big deal, I KNOW. But also not very ideal. Ugh I still feel like I am on a roller coaster ride with my skin. I'm hoping month 2 brings more consistent clearing.....

Thanks for commenting on my log. My skin got worse during the early part of month 2, but then cleared up all of a sudden. I'm sure this was due to me stopping the use of my topicals. I must say though it wasn't as bad as when I wasn't using topicals before accutane, so that's good!

You should be doing the Accutane happy dance by Christmas! Are you staying on 40 mgs? Or getting bumped to 60mgs or 80mgs?

Day 33

So It's a little more than day 30 that I have been actually on accutane but I popped pill 33 today, so I'm just going to go by that. I don't have much new to report, I actually just wanted to report in b/c I'd rather browse this site than start studying for exams:/ lol. Anyway! My skin is doing alright. It's definitely smoothing out. Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, there isnt much improvement with my redness/ scaring. This is slightly discouraging. I asked my derm about it and he just said I need to give it more time. Patience is so tough! One annoying side effect is my dry eyes. I wear contacts and my left eye is totally geeeeeeking! Like its red all the time. I'll probs have to switch to glasses more often...........................

MONTH 1 DONE!!

Thanks for commenting on my log. My skin got worse during the early part of month 2, but then cleared up all of a sudden. I'm sure this was due to me stopping the use of my topicals. I must say though it wasn't as bad as when I wasn't using topicals before accutane, so that's good!

You should be doing the Accutane happy dance by Christmas! Are you staying on 40 mgs? Or getting bumped to 60mgs or 80mgs?

I'd say I saw improvement before I got bumped up. I've been on 60 mgs for about 7-10 days, and so far there haven't been negative changes.

Ugh hyperpigmentation is the worst! I can't tell if I have hyperpigmentation or actual scarring neutral.gif I'm just gonna stay positive and says its hyperpigmentation lol. I'm surprised your only on 10 mgs. Do you have to be on it for a lot longer?

yes my derm doesnt want me to get it higher i still have cyst though but im glad hyperpigmentation is healing i still use topical med like my derm told me,and she is telling me about maintenance like after my course ill have accutane once every week because im super oily

Day 38

Two words: Smooth Skin. For real. This is probably the most amazing thing about accutane for me thus far. My skin is really smooth. No new pimples have showed up since I posted last. Yay! Funny thing is, my skin still isn't super dry. My forehead, which has always been a mess of oil, is slightly less oily but still more oily than the average person. That doesn't annoy me that much but what does is...........redmarks / scarring possibly? Ugh you guys it sucks. My face "feels" a hell of a lot better when I'm washing it but it doesn't look that much better because of all the redness. I know it might be wishful thinking, but has anyone seen improvement in redmarks/ fading of scars while on accutane?!?! If not, has anyone had success with fading of marks after accutane? I'm not sure why I scar so bad. I never pick....must have been the type of acne I experienced. I realize I should be thankful that accutane has started to clear up my existing acne, I was just hoping it might do something for the redmarks too.......

Day 41

Damn I think I jinxed it you guys! lol. I had had a few zits develop on my cheeks since I last updated. They really stand out because the rest of my skin is fairly smooth. Before accutane I wouldn't have noticed them as much! I'm a little sad for the step backward because I haven't really had that since the first few weeks. Oh well. I am a little skeptical that it might be my moisturizer that's the problem, but I don't want to stop moisturizing!! I also wanted to update that my red eyes have gotten a lot better. If you get accutane, get artificial tears, for real. Particularly if you have contacts. Trying to stay positive & not worry about my skin as I have exams to study for! Blah. Hope accutane is treating the rest of you well.

Day 45

1 & 1/2 months done yayy! So the new bumps that came in a few days ago are already starting to heal. This quick turn around must be the accutane, because usually those suckers stay for at least a week + . Overall, my skin is still really smooth. The red marks / possible scaring have my down however. I think I will ask my dermatologist about it at my next appointment. Based on what I've read, it sounds like there isn't much I can do about it while I'm on accutane, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I am hopeful there may be some moisturizer or something I could use that might help fade the marks quicker....or maybe accutane + time will heal my skin up enough. As for side effects, it really hasn't been that bad. I always have chapstick on me and drink a shit ton of water, but both of those things are totally doable. I run a lot and staying hydrated enough (even in this cold weather) while on accutane is more difficult. I haven't noticed any muscle cramping though so I'm grateful for that.

Day 50

Hey all! So Accutane. Day 50. Hm. Since I last posted, I have had a few more zits crop up. I'm a little disappointed! I feel like my acne has taken a downward turn since about thanksgiving. I am still on month 2, but I guess I am feeling a little discouraged at the moment. I haven't had a huge outbreak, its just that I seem to be getting more bumps than I did a month ago, which seems very odd to me. I have noticed my breakouts hang out pretty much only on my cheeks. Before I'd break out anywhere. I am a little suspicious of my lotion, cetaphil. I only moisturize with it on my cheeks & this mini breakout I'm experiencing did start around the same time I started moisturizing....this might just be a coincidence. Anyone reading have a similar problem? I've heard about CerVae being good....perhaps I'll switch to that. I have a dermatologist appointment next tuesday & will ask him what he thinks. I can't believe I've been on this stuff for two months! Time does fly when you are on it, if anything accutane has helped with the anxiety I have over my acne because I know I'm treating it, it's just going to take some time.

Day 50

Hey all! So Accutane. Day 50. Hm. Since I last posted, I have had a few more zits crop up. I'm a little disappointed! I feel like my acne has taken a downward turn since about thanksgiving. I am still on month 2, but I guess I am feeling a little discouraged at the moment. I haven't had a huge outbreak, its just that I seem to be getting more bumps than I did a month ago, which seems very odd to me. I have noticed my breakouts hang out pretty much only on my cheeks. Before I'd break out anywhere. I am a little suspicious of my lotion, cetaphil. I only moisturize with it on my cheeks & this mini breakout I'm experiencing did start around the same time I started moisturizing....this might just be a coincidence. Anyone reading have a similar problem? I've heard about CerVae being good....perhaps I'll switch to that. I have a dermatologist appointment next tuesday & will ask him what he thinks. I can't believe I've been on this stuff for two months! Time does fly when you are on it, if anything accutane has helped with the anxiety I have over my acne because I know I'm treating it, it's just going to take some time.

I agree...I feel like I can tell myself "it's ok my skin is like this." "It will go away FOREVER in just a few days."

Start of month 3! (Day 60!)

Can't believe I'm almost 1/2 way through my course. (If all goes well I'll be on this for 5 months) So the good news: I dont really get zits anymore. Seriously, I don't. Or if I do they go away within 2-3 days. This is amazing, I am seriously so happy about this. The bad news: the scarring. Gosh I don't know what I did to deserve this Lol. I'm not a picker & my acne was never really cystic just all over, so I'm surprised at how much redness/ scarring I'm working with. Talked to the derm and thankfully she said most of it is just redness not permanent scarring. However, she did mention I do have some icepicks on my cheeks:/ Oh well. So overall I still think accutane has been a good drug, it's just a shame I waited so long that I'm left with scarring.

Now on to the side effects. Good points: I don't wash my hair anymore. Just kidding, I do...but I could probably go a week before it gets oily. I've only gone about.....3 days b/c I worry I might smell.The bad: gross, peely, bloody, thin, lips. & i am even using prescription chapstick! The bad continued: nose is full of dry snot. Gross, I know. But my nose is literally always dry and has crap in it. As for serious side effects, I haven't had any.....I just need to drink more water. Staying hydrated on this stuff seems almost virtually impossible. I decided to change my moisturizer from cetaphil to cerave. I don't think the cetpahil was actually breaking me out (as I had posted earlier) but I just like the way the cerave feels better.

My hopes for my course here on out is a steady decrease in red marks. I think I need to start posting pictures ( & swallow my vanity / pride) so I can see if its making progress or not. The problem with marks is that they look so different depending on the lightening ;[ Hope everyones course is going well.

Edited by collegelaura