Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
collegelaura

Pre-Accutane Log?!

So I've been a frequent stalker of this site, & finally decided to take part in the community. A little about me: I'm a 20 (soon to be 21) yr old female who has always suffered from moderate acne. This past May, I was ready to take action against my skin: I met w/ a new derm who prescribed me a bp wash and a topical retinoid (ziana). Unfortunately, I went at it the retinoid w/ too much gusto (applied too much) and after 6 weeks on the thing I'd turned my fairly mild acne problem to a severe one. Angry @ my derm ( for not telling me how retinoids work) & @ myself I was in a low point. Now, about two months after stopping the retinoid I've met w/ a new derm who decided accutane would suit me well. I'm bummed I have to wait two months (my derm said I had to be on bc for @ least a month before getting blood work/ pregnancy test) so I've decided to start my log early b/c otherwise I might go crazy:) I'm hoping by posting a blog I can vent about my skin for a little while everyday then get on w/ my life & not focus on it alllllll the freakin time. Also my current regimen is a bp wash @ morning and night, azelx acid cream @ night, and doryx (doxycycline) 150 mg day. I've been on the doryx for about a month and the topicals for about a week. So Here's To Getting Accutane in...... about 60 days?! lol let the count down begin. Oh and Here's to Seeing Improvement by Christmas '11!

Haha, I'm on month 1. I started my log before I got on Accutane too. Not weird! So you'll be starting like end of October? I think (if you're anything like I am) you'll definitely see improvement by Christmas. I started seeing improvement in 2 weeks. Everyone's different though! That's so weird that you have to wait 2 months. I've never heard of that reasoning before. I only had to wait 1.

Hi,

I'm 26 and just met with my derm regarding accutane 3 days ago. My next appointment is September 26, at which time hopefully I'll actually be getting some pills!

jamieann: yeah I know I was a little upset I have to wait two months but my derm requires that I be on bc for a month before even getting the pregnancy test. (it was super annoying b/c I am not sexually active and would NEVER be dumb enough to get pregnant on accutane) I really hate ipledge lol. I figure I probably won't be able to get it any sooner though, scheduling an appointment w/ another derm would probably take longer. I am excited you started seeing improvement in two weeks!

sd85: I'm so jealous you get to start a month before me! Keep me updated so I have some motivation=)

AH so I am writing this b/c I am angry with acne. Have been using Azelaic acid for about a week and have only seen my acne worsen:/ also acne on my back has gotten worse?!? I wonder if this has to do with the doryx.... I've been on it for 5 weeks now. Anyways just here to vent about my acne b/c it's really gotten me down today:( Have an appointment w/ the derm Sept 20 to get blood work/ pregnancy test so probs getting accutane in about 55 days!! Ah I dunno if I can wait that long

AH so I am writing this b/c I am angry with acne. Have been using Azelaic acid for about a week and have only seen my acne worsen:/ also acne on my back has gotten worse?!? I wonder if this has to do with the doryx.... I've been on it for 5 weeks now. Anyways just here to vent about my acne b/c it's really gotten me down today:( Have an appointment w/ the derm Sept 20 to get blood work/ pregnancy test so probs getting accutane in about 55 days!! Ah I dunno if I can wait that long

I hear yah. I still have 27 days to wait, and I just want time to hurry up so I can start taking the pills! I've been using clindamycin and epiduo while I wait. So far, it's only made things worse.

Gosh I know waiting sucks! So I have a question for anyone who might be browsing...I am NOT yet taking accutane but I discussed it w/ my dermatologist & have an appointment to get tested, register w/ ipledge in a few weeks. One of his requirements was that I be on bc a month before I even get blood/ pregnancy tests to start accutane. Anyway long story short: I haven't started the bc yet, honestly I don't really want to be ON the bc. I really dont want to overload my body on perscriptions that arent necessary. I am not sexually active (virgin) & don't plan on being sexually active. My question is this: is there a way my derm will know I'm NOT taking the BC? Obviously my pregnancy tests will be negative anyways. ALSO: I have read some places that you have to start accutane like the second day of your period or something? Is this correct? Sometimes my period is irregular, it doesn't really bother me (just like a week late/ week early) & am curious if this is going to be a problem? Sorry for allll the personal info:/

40 days till I get ACCUTANE! haha sorry guys I just feel like its the only thing keeping me going some days. So I have a question for you guys. I've been on doryx for 1 1/2 mnths and azelaic acid for 3 weeks & I think my skin has started to break out less I do however have tons of little red marks from the severity of the break out I had. I don't really pick at my skin so I was surprised this happened:( anyway I was curious if anyone had success with decreasing the visiblity of the red marks while on accutane. I'm going on accutane anyways b/c I still have active acne but it would be a nice bonus if the red marks faded as well....anyone have any experience?!

Hi! I also have to wait sometime before I can start my course.(hopefully starting sept 27, gave my bloodtests in the end of august, I guess its just because he has so manypeople in the line) Waiting sucks, I have been reading so many logs, more I read, more I want to get started. :D

I will be following your log. ;)

Gosh I know waiting sucks! So I have a question for anyone who might be browsing...I am NOT yet taking accutane but I discussed it w/ my dermatologist & have an appointment to get tested, register w/ ipledge in a few weeks. One of his requirements was that I be on bc a month before I even get blood/ pregnancy tests to start accutane. Anyway long story short: I haven't started the bc yet, honestly I don't really want to be ON the bc. I really dont want to overload my body on perscriptions that arent necessary. I am not sexually active (virgin) & don't plan on being sexually active. My question is this: is there a way my derm will know I'm NOT taking the BC? Obviously my pregnancy tests will be negative anyways. ALSO: I have read some places that you have to start accutane like the second day of your period or something? Is this correct? Sometimes my period is irregular, it doesn't really bother me (just like a week late/ week early) & am curious if this is going to be a problem? Sorry for allll the personal info:/

I'm in the same situation with you regarding the birth control. I don't think your derm will know that you are not taking the birth control. I know that when you get your second pregnancy test it is supposed to be on the first 5 days of your period. Without birth control it will be impossible to time that correctly. I am taking birth control for at least the first month, just so that I'm "on schedule." After that, I do not plan on taking the birth control.

yeah.....I'm on the fence about starting the bcp. I feel like if I do start it I should continue w/ it b/c I don't want to screw up my hormones. Hm......I still have a week before even my first tests so I have time to decide:) Poo why must ipledge make life so difficult for us poor females?!?!

Thought I'd update b/c I went to my Derm today!! Got blood work done and now have a semi-concrete Accutane-Go-Date: October 18th! I'm going to be on the tane for 5 months starting w/ 40 mg!! I'm kinda hoping I see improvement w/ only 40 mg & don't need my dosage upped too much b/c I'm a fairly small (105 lbs) female. Excited to start knowing Accutane statistically, provides the most significant reduction of acne for the greatest percentage of people. Hoping I'm a good statistic:)

Just read through most of your log, sucks that you have to wait so long, I didn't even wait a full month haha my derm just kinda let my bc slide and let me start it the same time... prooobably illegal but I'm not complaining :P

I personally have seen an improvement in my overall skin tone (I'm just starting month 2!) I'm usually very uneven and red but it's been evening out since I started, so I'm thinking it will help with your red spots, just give it time :)

Best of luck, I'll be reading your log!!!

Wow! I'm so jealous you didn't even have to wait a full month! I feel like I've been waiting for so long & I haven't even started my treatment yet. I'm trying to be patient. I'm so excited you had improvement in skin tone, since that is a big issue for me. I'll definitely be checking up on your log!

Felt I needed to update today b/c my skin has got me down. Ugh so I think the Azelex I've been putting on my face for over a month now isn't doing anything for the acne on my forehead. I wake up every morning with a new sea of zits. Also disappointing that the red marks from my break out about two months ago haven't faded that much. I really hope accutane works for me!!!!! (21 days to go)

Also to keep my mind off things....does anyone have a suggestion for face wash when I'm on accutane? I know my derm will probably suggest something but I'd like input from current users too. I'm currently using and 8% BP wash & am pretty sure that will be tooooo harsh in conjunction with the accutane.

Thought I'd update b/c I get accutane in a week! I can't quite believe it considering I had to wait two months for it! So the healthier eating habits I had tried to take up b/c of the recent outbreak of acne on my face have pretty much gone to crap. How do people stay motivated to eat healthy?! lol. I am a big runner so I can get away w/ eating bad but not being over weight. BUT TODAY I am going to try to get motivated again. I've decided that along with keeping an accutane log, I'm going to post what food I've been eating. Even if it doesn't do much for my skin, it's still good for my body right! Anyways, my acne is pretty much at a standstill. Scaring hasn't gone down AT ALL :( & I still get new zits pretty much every few days but nothing tooo dramatic.

What Ive eaten today:

-yogurt

-english muffin

-peanut butter

-potato bread

-two twix candy bars :/

Hey collegelaura, we are almost on similar schedules since i start Claravis tomorrow. I started eating healthier as part of a holistic approach to my acne which obviously didn't work since i'm going on Claravis. My advice to you is to cut out some or all white stuff (white potato, whit bread, white sugar, etc, etc, etc). Replace with whole grains (its not as hard as it may seem rolleyes.gif . Also, try upping your fish intake and limit snacks that have a ton of ingredients you can't pronounce. Feel free to check out my log and good luck on yours!

Hi collegelaura! You're almost to your start date!! smile.png You asked about cleanser recommendations in a previous post. I attempted to use a variety of cleansers that weren't as drying as the one i had been using pre-claravis, but even those were too drying. I ended up with CeraVe hydrating cleanser. I highly recommend it if you get dry. I had to switch about 2 weeks into my treatment. It doesn't take makeup off very well, but it's pretty soothing to a chapped face, or it least i was to mine. I can't use anything else at the moment (2 months in). Good luck!! Just remember to drink lots of water and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize - stay ahead of it.

Hey collegelaura, we are almost on similar schedules since i start Claravis tomorrow. I started eating healthier as part of a holistic approach to my acne which obviously didn't work since i'm going on Claravis. My advice to you is to cut out some or all white stuff (white potato, whit bread, white sugar, etc, etc, etc). Replace with whole grains (its not as hard as it may seem rolleyes.gif . Also, try upping your fish intake and limit snacks that have a ton of ingredients you can't pronounce. Feel free to check out my log and good luck on yours!

Thanks for the food advice. It sure is hard to eat healthy! I should definitely eat more fish. I will definitely be hitting up your log.

Hi collegelaura! You're almost to your start date!! smile.png You asked about cleanser recommendations in a previous post. I attempted to use a variety of cleansers that weren't as drying as the one i had been using pre-claravis, but even those were too drying. I ended up with CeraVe hydrating cleanser. I highly recommend it if you get dry. I had to switch about 2 weeks into my treatment. It doesn't take makeup off very well, but it's pretty soothing to a chapped face, or it least i was to mine. I can't use anything else at the moment (2 months in). Good luck!! Just remember to drink lots of water and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize - stay ahead of it.

Thanks! Its so weird I'm gonna have to moisturize, my skin has always been super oily. I'm kinda looking forward to it drying out.

So I have my doctors appointment on monday & hopefully will be popping my first pill tuesday. I am debating on posting pictures...I know it's going to be hard but I do appreciate people with photo logs we'll see..... As far as acne goes, slight outbreak on my chin blah. I hope I avoid the accutane IB I'm so sick of being told "it gets worse before it gets better" lol.

Also does anyone know if you can change the title of a topic? My log won't be "preaccutane" for much longer!

Also: hate to post three times in a row but I have a question for the ladies: so my derm said the second time I get my blood drawn b4 getting on accutane I need to be on my period. Well problem is my period has YET to come even though I'm on bc & I would have expected it a few days ago. No worries, there is no way I'm pregnant- I am not sexually active. Anyway being in school makes scheduling things difficult so I'm curious if I just get my blood drawn anyway if they will even notice? Is it a big deal?! The pregnancy test will definitely be negative anyway. I don't want to lie but I also dunno when my period will get here since I am prone to being irregular....THANKS!

Also: hate to post three times in a row but I have a question for the ladies: so my derm said the second time I get my blood drawn b4 getting on accutane I need to be on my period. Well problem is my period has YET to come even though I'm on bc & I would have expected it a few days ago. No worries, there is no way I'm pregnant- I am not sexually active. Anyway being in school makes scheduling things difficult so I'm curious if I just get my blood drawn anyway if they will even notice? Is it a big deal?! The pregnancy test will definitely be negative anyway. I don't want to lie but I also dunno when my period will get here since I am prone to being irregular....THANKS!

No, there is no way they will notice. My doctor think that I am on BC, but I can't stand the stuff and I'm not having sex, so I'm not taking it. They haven't noticed that either.

Thanks so much for the quick response! I didn't think they would notice, or take the time to try to figure that out anyway. I'll be getting my blood drawn this morning then! yay :/ lol

Blah so turns out my doctors office didn't log me into ipledge right away so I have to wait till next week to pick up my prescription. At first I was really bummed because I feel like I have waited for so long but I've calmed down now lol. It'll just be nice when I'm actually popping the pills! Seriously, I feel like this drug must be one of the most difficult to get, at least for females. Anyways, my skin is more or less than same since my last post. A few new zits, but others have gone away so not an overall worsening of the skin. I have to questions for ya'll:

Is there a way for me to change the title of my log so it doesn't say preaccutane anymore?

My derm is starting my off with a 40mg per day dose but I was thinking of cutting that in half for at least the first week or so.....to ease my body into the drug. Has anyone tried this? Does it make that much of a difference?

Hope everyone is having a good skin day:)

Hey guys! Just thought I'd check in since I popped my first pill today!! So exciting. So obviously nothing to report yet. I'm thinking for the first month I'll probably only post once a week. Otherwise I might dwell on my skin too much. BUT if something does happen accutane related I'll definitely update. I think I'm gonna post pictures, just searching around for my digital camera cord. Crossin' my fingers that I don't get the dreaded IB:(

OH also! I decided the start of my accutane would be the start of a healthier diet lol. So here's what I ate today.....keep in mind I'm a broke college student

Breakfast:

-oatmeal w/ bluberries

Lunch:

-a lot of peanut butter and crackers ( need to go grocery shopping....)

Dinner:

-Salad

-Fruit

-Peanut Butter Sandwich

-Brownie

Hey I started 1 day after you. Man I was so excited to pop that first pill, Im in Australia and didn't have to go through iPledge, just blood tests.

I'm on day 4 and so far my face is starting to feel stingy and my eyes are feeling dry and tired.

Goodluck! I'll be watching your progress.

Also try and take some photos because its always awesome to look back and see how far you have come, as you can see in my log my face is an explosion of acne right now. Staying positive!