Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrets

Dont use benzoyl peroxide!

I used benzoyl peroxide back when I was a teenager, when I wasnt educated enough in acne, and as my local pharmacy only stocks this stuff.( its been taken off the market now though which is interesting)

Anyway I would use the 5%, and put it on every night. It dried out my skin soooo much, and got rid of the starter acne u get when you are 13,14. So I went off it but my skin got a lot worse in my late teens, started getting large sores, cysts etc. I decided to go back on the BP, I lasted a week as it would burn my skin and make it so so dry.

If you use BP it you are left with the effects of it. Even now 5 yrs after my last use of it, my forehead is really red and thick, the redness on my cheeks and chin is only now beginning to die down. But I could literally trace where i had been using bp, as the redness had a pattern, only on my forehead and around the cheek area by my nose, and my chin.

Please dont use this product, as it has left my forehead being permanenty dry and its like a raised angry red dryness, a roughness that just WONT go away.

Plus do you really want to risk your health in this way. Everyone knows it has been linked to cancerous growths, even if it is a small percentage, do you really want to be putting this on you day after day.?

There are other products out there that arent so harsh..Diet is huge, as for skin care, I would reccomend taking a course of antibiotics to help quash skin for a while, and then getting started on giving up dairy¬dairy was a huge factor in my acne, and I didnt realise until after 7 yrs fighting spots..

Theres always hope and alternate answers

I used benzoyl peroxide back when I was a teenager, when I wasnt educated enough in acne, and as my local pharmacy only stocks this stuff.( its been taken off the market now though which is interesting)

Anyway I would use the 5%, and put it on every night. It dried out my skin soooo much, and got rid of the starter acne u get when you are 13,14. So I went off it but my skin got a lot worse in my late teens, started getting large sores, cysts etc. I decided to go back on the BP, I lasted a week as it would burn my skin and make it so so dry.

If you use BP it you are left with the effects of it. Even now 5 yrs after my last use of it, my forehead is really red and thick, the redness on my cheeks and chin is only now beginning to die down. But I could literally trace where i had been using bp, as the redness had a pattern, only on my forehead and around the cheek area by my nose, and my chin.

Please dont use this product, as it has left my forehead being permanenty dry and its like a raised angry red dryness, a roughness that just WONT go away.

Plus do you really want to risk your health in this way. Everyone knows it has been linked to cancerous growths, even if it is a small percentage, do you really want to be putting this on you day after day.?

There are other products out there that arent so harsh..Diet is huge, as for skin care, I would reccomend taking a course of antibiotics to help quash skin for a while, and then getting started on giving up dairy¬dairy was a huge factor in my acne, and I didnt realise until after 7 yrs fighting spots..

I don't eat dairy and I still get acne, and only BP dries them out.

Permanently dry forehead......sorry, but it's not possible. :naughty:

Edited by amy91

DID you moisturize after putting it on?? Also u have to stay out of the sun as well.

Yankyal, its hardly worthless, look up BP in any google scholar document and they will refer to lab tests linking BP with tumour growths. I'm telling you how to find the article-that is my citation.

As for the rest of my post, I am giving you my history and experience with BP, which for me was pretty much negative. Yes I moisturised yet it still dried out my skin alarmingly. I'm giving you my personal opinion-surely this is what this forum is based on= peoples experience of using BP. Yankyal have some respect for someone who has battled acne, and not won it with BP!

trust me, if bp causes tumour/cancer growths, they would not allow it to hit the shelves, expecially being over the counter availability. bp has been out for how long? 50+ years?....they would of pulled it by now dont you think if it was dangerous?

Yankyal, its hardly worthless, look up BP in any google scholar document and they will refer to lab tests linking BP with tumour growths. I'm telling you how to find the article-that is my citation.

As for the rest of my post, I am giving you my history and experience with BP, which for me was pretty much negative. Yes I moisturised yet it still dried out my skin alarmingly. I'm giving you my personal opinion-surely this is what this forum is based on= peoples experience of using BP. Yankyal have some respect for someone who has battled acne, and not won it with BP!

The following article was written by willow569 and I am posting it here with her permission.

Benzoyl Peroxide Safety

Q: Is there a link between benzoyl peroxide and skin cancer?

• Currently, no research has found a link between benzoyl peroxide use and skin cancer in humans. Two studies that investigated the link between benzoyl peroxide and skin cancer in people found no increased risk of skin cancer in people who had used benzoyl peroxide to treat acne. 1 2

• After conducting a series of studies and a doing a comprehensive review of the existing research on the link between benzoyl peroxide and skin cancer, one researcher concluded that “no epidemiological evidence exists of a carcinogenic effect of skin treatment with BPO containing gels or ointments in 5 or 10% concentrations.” 3 Other experts have concluded that topical benzoyl peroxide is considered to be a safe treatment for acne and that there is no current evidence to indicate that it poses a carcinogenic or toxicological risk to humans. 4 5

• Research studies have used cancer-sensitive strains of mice to study the effects of benzoyl peroxide on tumor growth. The mice in these studies are generally pre-exposed to UV radiation or a chemical that causes the development of the tumors; then the benzoyl peroxide is applied to the mouse skin. Some of these studies have found that benzoyl peroxide caused existing tumors on the skin to grow larger, but did not cause the development of new tumors. 6 In the vast majority of studies, benzoyl peroxide was not found to cause new tumors to develop. These mouse studies are often cited on websites that are trying to sell alternatives to benzoyl peroxide as evidence that benzoyl peroxide is a carcinogen. The results of the studies and their implications may be overstated and misinterpreted by these companies.

• One article highlights the limitations of this line of research in mice for the application to safety assessment for humans: 7

o The mice used in the research are of a particularly sensitive strain – mice specifically bred to be susceptible to developing tumors.

o There are significant physiological differences between mouse and human skin.

o Other substances that are tumor promoters in mice are not linked to cancer in humans, even with long-term exposure.

o The tumor promotion is only seen under certain specific experimental conditions.

o How benzoyl peroxide is used in these studies differs considerably from how it is used in the treatment of acne and very strong BPO concentrations are often used. Studies using commercial formulations of benzoyl peroxide do not generally find the same tumor promoting effect in mice.

• The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) lists benzoyl peroxide as a category III substance (safety uncertain). However, the FDA concerns were not so extreme as to lead them to recommend discontinuing the use of benzoyl peroxide medications. 9 The FDA has called for additional research on the carcinogenic potential of benzoyl peroxide. According to the FDA, this research is currently being conducted.

• The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), which classifies substances based on carcinogenicity, has concluded that there is inadequate evidence for the carcinogenicity of benzoyl peroxide in humans and limited evidence in experimental animals for the carcinogenicity of benzoyl peroxide. The IARC does not categorize benzoyl peroxide as being carcinogenic; its carcinogenicity is labeled as being unknown. 10

References:

1. Cartwright, R.A., Hughes, B.R., Cunliffe WJ (1988). Malignant melanoma, benzoyl peroxide and acne: a pilot epidemiological case-control investigation. Br J Dermatol, 118(2):239-42.
  2. Hogan, D.J., To, T., Wilson, E.R., Miller, A.B., Robson, D., Holfeld, K., Lane, P. (1991). A study of acne treatments as risk factors for skin cancer of the head and neck. Br J Dermatol. 125(4):343-8.
  3. Iverson, O.H. (1994). Benzoyl peroxide and possible skin cancer risks in mice and humans. In Skin Cancer: Mechanisms and Human Relevance, CrC Series in Dermatology, (Mukhtar, H., Ed.) pgs 13-20.
  4. Zbinden, G. (1988). Scientific opinion on the carcinogenic risk due to topical administration of benzoyl peroxide for the treatment of acne vulgaris. Pharmacol Toxicol, 63: 307.
  5. Lidén, S., Lindelöf,B.,& Sparén, P. (1990). Is benzoyl peroxide carcinogenic? Br J Dermatol., 123(1):129-30.
  6. O'Connell, J.F., Klein-Szanto, A.J., DiGiovanni, D.M., Fries, J.W., Slaga, T.J. (1986). Enhanced malignant progression of mouse skin tumors by the free-radical generator benzoyl peroxide. Cancer Res. 46(6): 2863-2865.
  7. Kraus, A.L., Munro, I.C., Orr, J.C., Binder, R.L., LeBoeuf, R.A., Williams, G.M. (1995). Benzoyl peroxide: an integrated human safety assessment for carcinogenicity. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 21(1):87-107.
  8. Iverson, O.H. (1988). Skin tumorigenesis and carcinogenesis studies with 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene, ultraviolet light, benzoyl peroxide (Panoxyl gel 5%) and ointment gel. Carcinogenesis. 9(5):803-9.
  9. http://www.fda.gov/cder/otcmonographs/Acne...PR_19950217.pdf
  10. http://www.inchem.org/documents/iarc/vol71...nzoylperox.html

There have been some updates on BPO since the time I wrote that earlier article. The FDA has finalized its safety classification of BPO and classifies it as being a Category I (Safe and Effective)

Here is more detailed information on this change and the reason for it:

The FDA has updated its safety classification of Benzoyl Peroxide to a Category I (Safe and Effective). In 1991, the classification was listed as a type III, which meant that more data was needed before the FDA could determine the actual safety classification (it was never considered to be "unsafe" though). The body of the research conducted since that time has lead the FDA to change the classification to a safe and effective. The abstract is below, and I highlighted a few points from the article as well.

Classification of Benzoyl Peroxide as Safe and Effective and Revision of Labeling to Drug Facts Format; Topical Acne Drug Products for Over-The-Counter Human Use; Final Rule

AGENCY: Food and Drug Administration,HHS.

ACTION: Final rule.

SUMMARY: We, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), are issuing this final rule to include benzoyl peroxide as a generally recognized as safe and effective (GRASE) active ingredient in over-the-counter (OTC) topical acne drug products. In addition, this final rule includes new warnings and directions required for OTC acne drug products containing benzoyl peroxide. We are also revising labeling for OTC topical acne drug products containing resorcinol, resorcinol monoacetate, salicylic acid and/or sulfur to meet OTC drug labeling content and format

requirements in a certain FDA regulation. This final rule is part of our ongoing review of OTC drug products and represents our conclusions on benzoyl peroxide in OTC acne drug products.

Additional points of interest:

-They did not find BPO to be a genotoxic substance, which basically means they do not believe that it damages DNA. They go on to add that even though BPO has been shown in research to create oxidative damage, that in humans, there are oxidative repair mechanisms that would likely prevent benzoyl peroxide from causing DNA damage.

-They did not find BPO to be carcinogenic. They state: "We have reviewed a number of animal studies examining the carcinogenic potential of benzoyl peroxide and conclude that benzoyl peroxide is not a carcinogen." They also determined that there was no evidence to indicate that BPO is a photocarcinogen.

They are requiring an update to the warning labels on BPO products as well. Any OTC products that contain BPO will need to have the following warnings on the label:

• Avoiding unnecessary sun exposure

• Not using on very sensitive skin

• Keeping away from the eyes, lips, and mouth

• Cautioning that benzoyl peroxide may bleach hair or dye fabric

They will also require a direction for drug products containing benzoyl peroxide to use a sunscreen when going outside.

Guest Timehealsall

i agree that bp is bad to use.

Regarding your forehead thickness, does it look like scaly thickened skin?

I believe you might have either eczema or seborrheic dermatitis. I think acne topicals can cause this

"Plus do you really want to risk your health in this way. Everyone knows it has been linked to cancerous growths, even if it is a small percentage, do you really want to be putting this on you day after day.?"

"i agree that bp is bad to use.

Regarding your forehead thickness, does it look like scaly thickened skin?

I believe you might have either eczema or seborrheic dermatitis. I think acne topicals can cause this"

I love how many pseudo-experts there are on these boards.

^ :lol: Isn't that true?!

( its been taken off the market now though which is interesting)