Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Emily R

Is Accutane worth it?

I turn 18 next week and I just went to my dermo yesterday. I've tried EVERYTHING all throughout middle and high school for my acne. When I don't have makeup on, I can see these little bumps all around my chin and mouth. And the occasional giant cyst! I have scars all over my face and back and chest, and I even got a job in high school at a tanning bed because my scars were so bad that I needed to hide them (of course I had precancerous moles removed yesterday - all from the glorious tanning bed). I've had much much worse acne growing up but now that I'm starting college I want clear skin! My derma recommended Accutane and I've done some research and I do want to go on it, but I just want to see if it's worth it. You see, my dermo is 2 hours away from my college and my insurance company won't cover any other dermo closer to my school. I can have my blood tested every month at my college since there is a hospital on campus, but is it worth driving 2 hours every month to pick up Accutane? And what's this "initial" breakout I've heard about? I just want clear skin. I've been on the pill for 3 years for my skin and I've tried almost every birth control pill out there but nothing seems to work. Help me!!

If you really want clear skin, then accutane is the best option. The 2 hour drive every month is pretty lame but personally I would gladly drive 2 hours/month for accutane lol. The initial breakout is exactly what it says, initially after going on accutane you will usually break out and your skin will get worse. For most people it seems to happen between day 5-30. Even though most people get one, not all will, my skin never got worse when I started

Your small "bumps" are probably whiteheads and accutane will NOT cure that. Accutane is for Pimples, zits and severe acne.

I don't think you need accutane, the occasional Giant pimple is no biggy, when you have about 5 or more at once all the time on your face, then accutane is for you. Until then, don't bother even trying to get on it.

Your small "bumps" are probably whiteheads and accutane will NOT cure that. Accutane is for Pimples, zits and severe acne.

I don't think you need accutane, the occasional Giant pimple is no biggy, when you have about 5 or more at once all the time on your face, then accutane is for you. Until then, don't bother even trying to get on it.

accutane cured my whiteheads. I had all kinds of acne like blackheads, red bumps, and white heads and after accutane I have had occasional red bumps (not THAT serious that a little dab of Salicylic Acid can't fix) but i've never had any whiteheads or blackheads afterwards.