Notifications
Clear all

Bare Minerals Gave Me Rash for Months

MemberMember
(@pokerlady888)

Posted : 08/26/2011 8:55 am

I want to warn people the best I can to save them from trauma to their skin and ultimately, their psyche. I don't have the most sensitive skin but not the best skin either. Although, I have been able to use tons of products and all kinds of various make-ups (seeing as I used to with make-up artists for shoots) without problems. Then, I decided to try Bare Minerals because it cut down my time to do make-up with it's quick swiping. although, it didn't cover very well so I had to often re-apply the make-up throughout the day. This stuff is dangerous to the skin. It's best to not even bother trying it out or messing with it because it's so finely milled that it can stay in the skin for months....maybe years. It has bismuth ocxychloride-"bismuth oxychloride is derived from a heavy metal that is brittle and easily refined."

I used it for months and noticed my skin getting dryer and felt some itching, tingling sensations. I didn't really think too much into it. Then after 2-3 months, I started noticing these little bumpy pimples and scaly looking unhealthy skin on the sides of my face where I applied the make-up the most to cover acne scars. I still continued using the make-up thinking it was just some acne that would clear up on its own. I was wrong and once I finally stopped Bare Minerals, my skin became increasingly worse after stopping as if it had a delayed allergic reaction. I've had now for months this awful itching and bug crawling sensation on the face, tiny tiny bumps on my skin that do not go away, and pink rashes on certain parts of my face making me look discolored. The rashes tingle and burn and itch and it's hard for me to move my face or smile without feeling like my face is cracking and realizing that skin actually IS breaking. I have gotten some depresssions on my face, the skin is constantly dry no matter what, if my hair or something touches my skin it feels like it's burning from the skin contact to anything .....it's awful and so sensitive. Water makes the patches redder and stings. My pores enlarged in certain areas and the skin has become scaly, rough and somewhat inflamed and red where the patches are. I'm in constant pain and sometimes I'm pretty certain I can see the little shiny metal crystals from the Bare Minerals make-up come off the skin onto my fingers when I brush over the skin.

Bare Minerals damaged my skin and probably for a long time or permanently and it continue to keep getting damaged and worse. Save yourselves from this dangerous make-up powder.

I should have known...it's never a good idea to use a make-up so finely milled that can sink deep and quick into the pores of the skin. It's best to use cream liquid foundations and cream concealers and hypoallergenic pressed powders that aren't so finely milled, especially with a metal compound. Clinique seems to be best for these kinds of make-ups and even general drug store make-ups are safer.

MemberMember
(@gemmyjunebug)

Posted : 08/26/2011 10:26 am

I had the same reaction as you explained. That delayed reaction was exactly what I muddled through...trying to figure out what the heck I was allergic to? I had used Bare Minerals for quite a period of time and thought it can't be the makeup? Certain it wasn't-my all natural-good for my skin Bare Minerals. (sigh) It was...I was allergic to the Bismuth. That itchy,tingle,drying experience. The sandpaper rash that covered my forehead and side of cheeks. It would last for weeks...

It did damage as you explained. My skin is super sensitive and I guessing that will never change. I am however lucky to know where my allergy was coming from-the bismuth. I need to avoid that demon at all costs. It is in lipgloss,lipstick,eyeshadows...the list goes on...

I though love mineral makeup. They are not all created the same. I find it hard to ever want to go back to a liquid foundation. I have as I posted before been using Hello Minerals Makeup with great success for a couple years now. (knock on wood) No reaction-no itch-no burning-Just a pleasant peace of mind that my skin is covered and looking great.

I understand your frustration! It was a great let down and painful journey at times. I'm grateful though I did find a solution....and fantastic one at that. It also taught me to be a cosmetic detective and learn how to read and understand cosmetic ingredients. It is a shock to say the very least to see what ingredients are allowed in products. Organic and Natural doesn't always mean safe and friendly for everyone. I react to some of those as well..Good luck and thanks for the post!

MemberMember
(@pokerlady888)

Posted : 08/26/2011 11:55 am

I had the same reaction as you explained. That delayed reaction was exactly what I muddled through...trying to figure out what the heck I was allergic to? I had used Bare Minerals for quite a period of time and thought it can't be the makeup? Certain it wasn't-my all natural-good for my skin Bare Minerals. (sigh) It was...I was allergic to the Bismuth. That itchy,tingle,drying experience. The sandpaper rash that covered my forehead and side of cheeks. It would last for weeks...

It did damage as you explained. My skin is super sensitive and I guessing that will never change. I am however lucky to know where my allergy was coming from-the bismuth. I need to avoid that demon at all costs. It is in lipgloss,lipstick,eyeshadows...the list goes on...

I though love mineral makeup. They are not all created the same. I find it hard to ever want to go back to a liquid foundation. I have as I posted before been using Hello Minerals Makeup with great success for a couple years now. (knock on wood) No reaction-no itch-no burning-Just a pleasant peace of mind that my skin is covered and looking great.

I understand your frustration! It was a great let down and painful journey at times. I'm grateful though I did find a solution....and fantastic one at that. It also taught me to be a cosmetic detective and learn how to read and understand cosmetic ingredients. It is a shock to say the very least to see what ingredients are allowed in products. Organic and Natural doesn't always mean safe and friendly for everyone. I react to some of those as well..Good luck and thanks for the post!

I'm sorry about what you went through from Bare Minerals. I didn't get a delayed allergic reaction until 2-3 months later after stopping use. I kept wondering what could have happened and realized I remembered feeling my skin start to get awful while on Bare Minerals. I STILL have these red rashes for about 6 months now. They hurt and are raised and I still have bumpy skin. It's so incredibly embarassing and I've tried tons of natural products and nothing has helped. Nothing diminishes the redness, itching and sensitivity.

Did you do anything to help your rashes? Did they just go away on their own and how long did you suffer with you rashes until they went away?

That is so sad to hear that you now have sensitive skin all the time. That upsets me to think about always having red sensitive skin. :(

In fact, my forehead wasn't plagued yet by the pink skin and bumps but it seems to NOW be getting there. What's odd is there are areas of my skin that are completely normal, soft and the color of my regular skin. I just look like a spotted freak.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 08/26/2011 3:50 pm

BE minerals made my skin itchy too and resulted in breakouts.

MemberMember
(@gemmyjunebug)

Posted : 08/29/2011 11:24 am

I'm sorry about what you went through from Bare Minerals. I didn't get a delayed allergic reaction until 2-3 months later after stopping use. I kept wondering what could have happened and realized I remembered feeling my skin start to get awful while on Bare Minerals. I STILL have these red rashes for about 6 months now. They hurt and are raised and I still have bumpy skin. It's so incredibly embarassing and I've tried tons of natural products and nothing has helped. Nothing diminishes the redness, itching and sensitivity.

Did you do anything to help your rashes? Did they just go away on their own and how long did you suffer with you rashes until they went away?

That is so sad to hear that you now have sensitive skin all the time. That upsets me to think about always having red sensitive skin. :(

In fact, my forehead wasn't plagued yet by the pink skin and bumps but it seems to NOW be getting there. What's odd is there are areas of my skin that are completely normal, soft and the color of my regular skin. I just look like a spotted freak.

That makes me so angry that you still have this reaction! I did use OVC Hydrocotisone cream for a very short period of time. I also took OVC allergy medication (Claritin). Whether it helped or not..? IDK? I guess it gave me the assurance to some degree that it was. I switched or had to switch all facial cleansers, lotions, etc. My face is super sensitive. The rashes did go away! Still pink in the spots where the reaction was the worse. I'm guessing that will never change. Here is run down of my daily routine( it works for me-sensitive skin with hormonal chin acne)

Cleanser- CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser(not the foaming) I use a baby washcloth to remove makeup and exfoliate.

Proactive All over Body lotion with SA- this does NOT cause a reaction. Allergic to BP.

Avene Thermal Spray- calms my red, sensitive skin and balances my PH. Magic in a bottle. LOVE this stuff!

Avene Extreme Cream for Intolerant Skin- LOVE!! They have fantastic products for sensitive skin or acne prone.

Hello Minerals Mineral Makeup- Full coverage and perfect for sensitive or acne prone skin.

Amoxicilian - 2 weeks before period/ every other day. Use when needed or I can tell my PMS is going to be a zinger of that time of the month. Have not had to use for a while.(knock on wood)

MemberMember
(@missmia)

Posted : 09/05/2011 8:47 am

Sorry to hear about the bad experiences you've had, but I never experienced anything like that after three years of using BE. I guess some products work well for some people but not so well for others. Good luck with it all hon.

MemberMember
(@radnsad)

Posted : 11/30/2014 1:39 pm

I've been using bare minerals for about 6 months and I've been noticing really bad, patchy dryness, rashes (itchiness, flaking, scales and redness) and an increase in spots on my face. Will I get the delayed reaction too???? Sh*t. It's already incredibly sensitive and itchy and combination, with patches of what I thought was ecezma but could be down to bm. Should I stop use immediately? Or continue using it until I find something else? I'm 16 and starting my exams, I really don't need this right now [Edited image out [Edited image out] [Edited image out]]Please help!

MemberMember
(@noche)

Posted : 12/03/2014 8:42 pm

I react to bare minerals too, my daughter doesn't want to stop or believe me that she is breaking out from that.

I think that, it could be the titanium dioxide, are you allergic to sunscreens?

MemberMember
(@lillies)

Posted : 02/04/2015 3:06 am

This is to anyone who suspects they may be allergic to Bare Minerals (more specifically to Bismuth Oxychloride), please STOP using the product immidiately dry and sensitive skin can be the start of a delayed allergic reaction.

No product is worth risking you health allergies can last a life-time so do not provoke it.

I just recovered from a year of dealing with severe allergy which is medically proven to be caused by this product I only used the blush and very little of it

The recovery is lengthy & there are no quick fixes the skin must be left to naturally expel the metal particles could take months or years

MemberMember
(@sue654321)

Posted : 02/22/2015 8:21 am

Really wish that i read your post before heading the sephora to buy this bare minerals...i m so so regret...i never wrote any bad review for cosmetics, this is the first one. Like how you describe, i do not have the most sensitive skin n yet i do not hav the best skin. After first application, my skin feel very itchy, and after i remove the foundation, i found all small bumps on my forehead, my cheeks and n chin!!!i m so depressed as my forehead n cheeks nv hav bumps!!!!! Pls stay aways from this foundation, now i do not know how to solve this :'(

MemberMember
(@boo-bareminerals)

Posted : 08/19/2015 1:36 pm

Been battling this same rash for 6 months. Never had any problem with makeup until starting BareMinerals powdered foundation, then the matte foundation, then the tinted moisturizer. Dry flaky skin on forehead, moved into eye and under eye area, and finally onto temples. My lips cannot seem to get enough moisture and I think any chapstick just dries it out more. Never seemed to be able to keep my face moisturized unless applying Vaseline under makeup. Water seemed to make my skin worse. I am 23 and looked like a 50 year old with the lines and wrinkles from dry skin. I got a Clarisonic because I thought it might help exfoliate, considering I had already given up on all cleansers and exfoliators because my skin was so dry. The exfoliator made my now sensitive and dry skin even worse. Finally, after a mental breakdown from being self-conscious of my skin, I had some time off work and theatre where I could give my skin a rest. NO makeup for weeks now, applying hydrocortisone OINTMENT and aquifor healing ointment twice a day, and NO washing my face except every other day with a little bit of water. This may not work for those of you who are acne prone, but I quit having acne when the dryness started. Thank GOD I haven't had to worry about that as much except for the occasional pustule. I'm still having this battle with my skin, looking for a better hypoallergenic makeup. Still itchy and red, with a few sores with scabs on them, but way less dry. Just battling the itchy-redness now. Hope this can help somebody. I don't want ANYONE else to have to go through the humiliation of not being able to put your best face forward.

Lotus888 liked
MemberMember
(@domreid)

Posted : 08/26/2015 11:17 pm

another reason to fine natural based products where company has your interest at heart. You can find this out quickly by reading ingredients and interacting with company via social media or email.

MemberMember
(@lotus888)

Posted : 09/02/2015 9:07 am

Hi all, new to this forum but I found everyone's opinions incredibly informative and it's really opened my eyes to the perils of using Bare Mineral make up!

I only switched to using their original powder foundation when I suffered a dermatitis outbreak (spots/cracked skin on my face) and as my face looked so angry, I decided to look for a natural make up that has no artificial ingredients. Little did I know! I think it's awful they do not specify that it is NOT a hypoallergenic range - quite the contrary, when I asked the sales assistant, she told me that it was!

Anyway I digress.... I have been using the powder foundation for a few days a week (for up to 6 hours at a time) for about 2 months and slowly have noticed cracking of my skin, some scaliness, tightness (skin feels like it's the material stretched over a tambourine, moving my face to smile felt like a strain), bumps that looked like small pimples (but were not - that would disappear and reappear within days), and wrinkling all over my face (much more wrinkly on my eyes, under my lower lids, cheeks and forehead - pretty much where I had applied the foundation).

Looking back with the beauty of hindsight, I did feel a bit of itchiness when I first started using the powder but as I didn't have a raging reaction, I thought it couldn't possibly be the make up which was sold to me as pure and natural!

I find a lot of comfort that Lillies has recovered (after a year...sob!) but her comment that bismuth is medically proven to cause allergies has worried me because after using the Bare Minerals foundation for a couple of months, I have now discovered that I am allergic to nickel and several other cosmetic related products! I've not has such allergies before!

The skin on my face is so sensitive (never had this before either) that I can't seem to tolerate even completely organic make up (tried make up brand: 100% Pure) so I am getting steadily more depressed as I can't use anything to even out my blotchy skin tone or cover spots!

And to add to my panic, I started using the Bare Minerals make up when my skin was weak and hadn't quite recovered from the initial dermatitis!

So after all that, my questions are:-

1. Are there any other success stories out there? A lot of you ladies have very helpfully described your symptoms after using the make up, but has anyone else made a full recovery?

2. Has anyone suffered with new allergies? Lillies if you are there - what allergies did you get and have you managed to recover from them? If so, how?

Xxx

MemberMember
(@gperez)

Posted : 01/15/2016 11:09 pm

Hi everyone...
I've been a user of the BM foundation powder since 3/15, just this week I noticed I was getting red blotches on my face and scaly skin with more wrinkles above my cheek bone and around my eyes. I stopped using the makeup, but one other thing I want to point out is I started to develop asthma around the same time, not the typical allergies with congestion, sneezing, runny nose but just straight up asthma attacks where I couldn't breath, I have gone to the ER had my heart checked, CT scan of my lungs and found scarring in my lungs. It was a mystery to my doctors because they couldn't understand why I was having asthma. All the while, I thought okay so I have asthma, this is my life. Since I've had this reaction,I researched BM more and it turns out the minerals used in this product could cause lung scarring and inflammation. Granted my research is online and not everything you read on the internet is true, but I can't help but wonder if using this product is part of the missing link to my breathing problems. It's awful to read such terrible stories and worse yet to know it can continue long after using this horrible product. I think they should pull this off the shelves IMMEDIATELY!! I will be seeing an allergist on Monday to try and get more information. I have started a photo log to see if there's a difference in my skin since I've stopped using it.
Until then...

MemberMember
(@ladyfields)

Posted : 05/01/2016 11:20 pm

Same EXACT reaction here. I'm desperate to get a question answered, hoping you all can help:

1) what did you do to actually cleanse your face from the makeup? I went makeup free for TWO MONTHS with no change, although I didn't steam/exfoliate or do anything to try to actually cleanse besides the oil cleansing method.

I'm scared of getting a facial or trying anything more aggressive because I don't want it to get worse. Over five years I went from perfect skin to mysteriously irritated skin sometimes, to constant low level irritation. I used a steroid cream once but the irritation came right back even though I didnt apply new makeup, leading me to believe it's still in there.

I know it's the BM because of the tingling and seeing my face change after applying. Ive had patch testing to rule out other ideas... It's ONLY on my face.

Help?

MemberMember
(@wiles144)

Posted : 05/18/2016 6:06 pm

Did anyone file anything against them my face is been two years almost or under and its just getting worse what do I do the rashes and pinkend skins has turned dark dirty looking brown and its only where I had the issues and used foundation from them and the mineral veil

MemberMember
(@skygazer1)

Posted : 09/01/2016 12:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am ever so thankful to have located this thread. As I read each of your stories, the overwhelming tears just flood my soul! I think its becauseI have finally found the answer to my agony!!!!

I too have been experiencing a "RAGING" rash for the last 8 months. I have been a BM customer since 2008 (or longer). In January 2016, I had small pimple which I thought was from, you know, womanhood. However, this littlepimple burned and tingled sobadly it was unusual. I tried to self treat with Which Hazel and over the counter acne treatments. Mind you, I am still using the BM because it surely cannot be from my all natural, good for me foundation. The rashonly got worse.Went tomy familydoctor and was prescribed anacne cream. No luck, and now this little pimple is spreading into a cluster up my right cheek. The tingling, burning, red face, acne like bumps felt like fire! My Family doctor sends me to a dermatologist at the end of February. She prescribes me a different acne cream, minocycline and suggests I wash my face with Dial antibacterial soap, within 4 days (March 4th)I amend up in the Emergency Room (ER).Was I allergic to the medication?What the hell is happening to me? While in the ERI receivedantibiotics via and IV, and then given a script fora strong course of antibiotics for 2 weeks. It seems to clear up however, I still have the discoloration up the right side of my face. I am thankful at this point that the pain is gone and willing to deal with the discoloration as surely it will heal over time,right? (I continueto use BM because again, it surely cannot be from my all natural, good for me loose foundation).

Within 14 days of completing the medication,I begin to feel the tinglingsensation and now myright eye is twitchingand BOOM... just like that the rash is back, but worse!!!! Oh the pain, the agony, I feel like I have chemical burns on my face!I am miserable!!! I feel like I have the worst sunburn ever and someone just keeps slapping it all day long, never any relief! I cry alone and put on a fake smile to get through my days. I contact myfamily doctor and she recommends the same course of treatmentthe ER doctor provided or suggests I return to the dermatologist. I did not have much faithin the previous dermatologist,but was not opposed to seeing someone different. So I am off to a new Dermatologist who proscribes doxycycline and prednisone.After a few days the pain lessened but never fully went away. It appeared that I was getting better but now in April I am back to the ER due to extreme weakness (with the rash still on my face). This time the ER doctor feels that there is somesort of auto immune disorder.....long story short I havebeen to every specialist, Rheumatologist, Infectious Disease etc. all test came back negative (Thank God!) However, I am still sick with araging rash spreading across my entire face. All the medication provided has caused me to be more sickcreating other symptoms whichI did not have prior to taking them (Shortness of breath, daily fever, extreme fatigue, I guess it makes sense why they thought it was auto immune related.

I go back to the dermatologist and asked for a Skin biopsy, the results returned are unspecified and so they nowfeel that this is a rare case of Rosacea. Do you just wake up one day with a rare caseRosacea??? They have given me more medication, more creams only to have no improvement with this rash. Right now they are looking to put me on another medication since all other treatments have failed. Intuitively I sensed I was allergic to something.....I even suggest it to the dermatologist....but what? I started to eliminate the Dial Soap (that burned too), stopped the coconut oil as a face moisturizer, changed my diet - eliminated soy, no alcohol of any kind, added more Salmon for the anti inflammatory properties ... OMG, never did I eliminate BM.
What surprises me the most is the fact that the dermatologist, nor any other specialist that I have seen thus far have suggested or considered an allergic reaction. They are sticking with this rare Rosacea diagnosis and even with that all the medicine they have prescribed there is no improvement! I return to my family doctor tomorrow and I am going to suggestgoing to seean allergist,maybeI have an allergy toBismuth.... I know now my intuition was right all along, I just do not know why I never thought it was BM ---- I have been a long time customer with no reactions. NOW I am discolored, scared still dealing with this painful rash.
I can share with you that mentally and socially this rashhas broke me! I have been suffering for 8 long months (I even have a photo documentary of this horrid rash from the onset to date). There are so many things I miss....I cannot tolerate a nice hot shower, hot water hurts my face! I can not enjoy the warm kisses of the sunshine on my face, the sun burns! I missed outon so manyfamily gatherings, pool parties, concerts, picnics etc. Not to mention just trying to go to work was sheer agony itself....facing people, the comments, the stares, just the thought of putting makeup on made my skin crawl -- You cannot cover this rash and appear healthy.... the pain is constant. On my work breaks I would go to the car and put cool cloths on my face just to try to get through my day.Not to mention the crying spells, not for the pity of it all, butthe pain. Who takes pain pills for their face???Me. I hate to say that people do not understand the pain and agony this causes,but they don't. I could never imagine the stress, mental agony and the pain associated with this rash unless I experienced it. Today, I avoid the public as much as possible, right now I am on a medical leave from workliving a make up free life, trying to relax and be stress free as possible. As I type this its been 4 weeks since my leave and I just saw the dermatologist..... who agrees therehas been no improvement.I still have this rash and the pain!
I am sorry for all of us who have and are stillgoing through this experience.I would love to knowfor those of you who have seen an allergist, how did you determineit was BM? And, I would love to know if there are any success stories too, asIsure could use somehope right aboutnow.
Sending you all love and positive healing vibes.....
Stacey
MemberMember
(@lauze)

Posted : 03/01/2017 6:48 am

Holy crap, I have experienced the exact same reaction you guys have mentioned here...
I started using Bare Minerals liquid foundation about a year ago and 10 months ago I started experiencing small pimples in areas I'd never had pimples before...on my cheeks and nose. Used to have problems with acne but was seeing an excellent chinese dr and I had totally clear skin this time last year. Then the nightmare began.
I thought bareminerals was a more natural choice for my foundation. Little did I know irritation was occuring from what I was putting on my skin to cover the irritation...Such irony. I've tried restrictive diets, cutting out certain foods like dairy sugar alcohol and none of this really affected my skin in a positive way.
A couple of weeks ago I had a full blown reaction when I switched to a different powder mineral foundation (which contained only zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, iron oxide and mica). I also started a more natural skincare regime, just using honey to cleanse and jojoba oil to moisturise. My whole face swelled up and I had to take the whole week off work to emotionally and physically recover. I haven't had anything on my skin other than kenacomb.
I went to a dermatologist today who told me i have acne rosacea. She screwed her nose up when I tried to explain the bismuth oxychloride reaction you have all explained and just gave me antibiotics and made another apt with me in 6 weeks. She also told me I need to stop using steroids topically because your skin becomes dependent on it and something about it impacting on your vein's effectiveness to restrict?
So the antibiotics prescribed are trimethoprim 300mg. Should I even bother with trying these? I'm always pretty reluctant to take medications let alone antibiotics because of the very common and unwanted side effects. It also seems pretty clear that they rarely work in this case, or maybe only for a period of time.

This has already been an 8 month long nightmare. I have developed social anxiety throughout this time, and never have I ever felt so helpless....especially through all the useless medical advice.

Does ANYONE have any tips that helped them in this situation? And what foundation ended up working for you guys? Has anyone fully recovered? Or mostly?

This is such a first world problem. In more ways than one. But I have to say my spirit is slowly fading.

Someone please respond!

MemberMember
(@lauze)

Posted : 03/01/2017 6:50 am

On 9/2/2016 at 3:42 AM, Skygazer1 said:
Hi Everyone,

I am ever so thankful to have located this thread. As I read each of your stories, the overwhelming tears just flood my soul! I think its becauseI have finally found the answer to my agony!!!!

I too have been experiencing a "RAGING" rash for the last 8 months. I have been a BM customer since 2008 (or longer). In January 2016, I had small pimple which I thought was from, you know, womanhood. However, this littlepimple burned and tingled sobadly it was unusual. I tried to self treat with Which Hazel and over the counter acne treatments. Mind you, I am still using the BM because it surely cannot be from my all natural, good for me foundation. The rashonly got worse.Went tomy familydoctor and was prescribed anacne cream. No luck, and now this little pimple is spreading into a cluster up my right cheek. The tingling, burning, red face, acne like bumps felt like fire! My Family doctor sends me to a dermatologist at the end of February. She prescribes me a different acne cream, minocycline and suggests I wash my face with Dial antibacterial soap, within 4 days (March 4th)I amend up in the Emergency Room (ER).Was I allergic to the medication?What the hell is happening to me? While in the ERI receivedantibiotics via and IV, and then given a script fora strong course of antibiotics for 2 weeks. It seems to clear up however, I still have the discoloration up the right side of my face. I am thankful at this point that the pain is gone and willing to deal with the discoloration as surely it will heal over time,right? (I continueto use BM because again, it surely cannot be from my all natural, good for me loose foundation).

Within 14 days of completing the medication,I begin to feel the tinglingsensation and now myright eye is twitchingand BOOM... just like that the rash is back, but worse!!!! Oh the pain, the agony, I feel like I have chemical burns on my face!I am miserable!!! I feel like I have the worst sunburn ever and someone just keeps slapping it all day long, never any relief! I cry alone and put on a fake smile to get through my days. I contact myfamily doctor and she recommends the same course of treatmentthe ER doctor provided or suggests I return to the dermatologist. I did not have much faithin the previous dermatologist,but was not opposed to seeing someone different. So I am off to a new Dermatologist who proscribes doxycycline and prednisone.After a few days the pain lessened but never fully went away. It appeared that I was getting better but now in April I am back to the ER due to extreme weakness (with the rash still on my face). This time the ER doctor feels that there is somesort of auto immune disorder.....long story short I havebeen to every specialist, Rheumatologist, Infectious Disease etc. all test came back negative (Thank God!) However, I am still sick with araging rash spreading across my entire face. All the medication provided has caused me to be more sickcreating other symptoms whichI did not have prior to taking them (Shortness of breath, daily fever, extreme fatigue, I guess it makes sense why they thought it was auto immune related.

I go back to the dermatologist and asked for a Skin biopsy, the results returned are unspecified and so they nowfeel that this is a rare case of Rosacea. Do you just wake up one day with a rare caseRosacea??? They have given me more medication, more creams only to have no improvement with this rash. Right now they are looking to put me on another medication since all other treatments have failed. Intuitively I sensed I was allergic to something.....I even suggest it to the dermatologist....but what? I started to eliminate the Dial Soap (that burned too), stopped the coconut oil as a face moisturizer, changed my diet - eliminated soy, no alcohol of any kind, added more Salmon for the anti inflammatory properties ... OMG, never did I eliminate BM.
What surprises me the most is the fact that the dermatologist, nor any other specialist that I have seen thus far have suggested or considered an allergic reaction. They are sticking with this rare Rosacea diagnosis and even with that all the medicine they have prescribed there is no improvement! I return to my family doctor tomorrow and I am going to suggestgoing to seean allergist,maybeI have an allergy toBismuth.... I know now my intuition was right all along, I just do not know why I never thought it was BM ---- I have been a long time customer with no reactions. NOW I am discolored, scared still dealing with this painful rash.
I can share with you that mentally and socially this rashhas broke me! I have been suffering for 8 long months (I even have a photo documentary of this horrid rash from the onset to date). There are so many things I miss....I cannot tolerate a nice hot shower, hot water hurts my face! I can not enjoy the warm kisses of the sunshine on my face, the sun burns! I missed outon so manyfamily gatherings, pool parties, concerts, picnics etc. Not to mention just trying to go to work was sheer agony itself....facing people, the comments, the stares, just the thought of putting makeup on made my skin crawl -- You cannot cover this rash and appear healthy.... the pain is constant. On my work breaks I would go to the car and put cool cloths on my face just to try to get through my day.Not to mention the crying spells, not for the pity of it all, butthe pain. Who takes pain pills for their face???Me. I hate to say that people do not understand the pain and agony this causes,but they don't. I could never imagine the stress, mental agony and the pain associated with this rash unless I experienced it. Today, I avoid the public as much as possible, right now I am on a medical leave from workliving a make up free life, trying to relax and be stress free as possible. As I type this its been 4 weeks since my leave and I just saw the dermatologist..... who agrees therehas been no improvement.I still have this rash and the pain!
I am sorry for all of us who have and are stillgoing through this experience.I would love to knowfor those of you who have seen an allergist, how did you determineit was BM? And, I would love to know if there are any success stories too, asIsure could use somehope right aboutnow.
Sending you all love and positive healing vibes.....
Stacey

Stacey have you had any break throughs? I really hope so xxx

MemberMember
(@mirey)

Posted : 11/22/2017 3:25 am

On 2/4/2015 at 9:06 AM, Lillies said:

This is to anyone who suspects they may be allergic to Bare Minerals (more specifically to Bismuth Oxychloride), please STOP using the product immidiately dry and sensitive skin can be the start of a delayed allergic reaction.

No product is worth risking you health allergies can last a life-time so do not provoke it.

I just recovered from a year of dealing with severe allergy which is medically proven to be caused by this product I only used the blush and very little of it

The recovery is lengthy & there are no quick fixes the skin must be left to naturally expel the metal particles could take months or years

I've had the allergic reaction for about 3 years now. It has gotten better but has not healed completely. When you wrote that the skin needs to be left naturally to expel, do you mean to not use any skincare and makeup products and leave it naturally?

Do you think activated charcoal soap might help expel the metals?

MemberMember
(@foxeevee)

Posted : 11/29/2017 10:21 pm

I have the opposite problem of everyone else on here, I'm allergic to everything found in stuff that isn't Bare Minerals. I got an extensive test at the derm. to common product ingredients and had multiple allergies which I suggest to anyone with skin griefs. I love Bare Minerals so much I went to work there because everything else messed me up and there has been a massive improvement in my skin since I switched everything. Unfortunately with makeup though *nothing* is one size fits all and with makeup and skincare you always have to start slow and watch your skin. Like for instance I can't sell one of the liquids if someone has an allergy to papaya. It's always best for any makeup brand to visit their boutique instead of an Ulta or Sephora because the people working there can talk ingredients too. I hope this helps

MemberMember
(@tsadaka)

Posted : 12/28/2019 3:41 am

I have contact dermatitis says my dermatologist. I went in Sept 2018, and January of 2019. I had a rash on eye lids, under the eye that had white scales in both places. These two areas I healed with fungal cream and the flakes just fell off my eye area onto the carpet after two days of applying this. Red rash was still there. I had the red rash under the nose, around the whole mouth area, one side of my chin, wrist, back of the elbow, ankle, neck, back of neck under my hair, left side of my back and severe chap lips my doctor thought but he was wrong. I have eczema. Right side of chin just took longer to heal until I used my hubby's rx cream from years ago. Years ago called clobetasol propionate cream 0.05%.

Like all of you I woke up with this overnight after sleeping and could not figure out how I got it. I was not using BE but it does not matter what makeup you use. Like others check the ingredients, doing search and you be your own detective because even my skin doctor did not tell me which products to avoid. He just prescribed prednisone and a quick fix and I quit using this early this year and started reading anything and everything I could about red, peeling, scaly skin. I washed with head and shoulders and rash disappeared after several showers with this. Don't forget about soap, shampoo, conditioner, laundry and dish soap etc. Laundry on the third product. I started using La Ve facial cleanser, no bath soap and wash hair last and make sure it is off your body, face everywhere. I use Aveeno for eczema and for itch I use Sarna anti-itch cream unscented lotion.

BE I used in my 40's for over 10 years and no problems and still no problems with this makeup. I'm really not sure what caused it but I was using a powder makeup from Walmart for years. After using BE and I quit for no unknown reason just because I could pick it up at the store and not have to wait to receive the BE. I used a tan powder from L'Oreal paris when I got this rash. With all the trial and errors I tried my face is healed, Neck comes and goes and ankle still there. Wrist every once in a while. I use BE right now.

MemberMember
(@lzzannx)

Posted : 05/20/2020 6:20 pm

I know this is an old thread ! But omg , I have spent months and months trying to figure out what was happening with my skin! Then I found this thread and it is the same exact symptoms that you are all talking about . Its miserable. My skin itches and burns constantly , worse when Im sweating or hot. Its bumpy and rashy and dry and oily and just all around terrible. Who has a cure for this ?

MemberMember
(@sonya-summer)

Posted : 07/04/2020 9:12 am

I used BM for 8 years then one day, BAM! it was the same results all you ladies had! It's been terrible trying to find something to replace it. I'm currently using Kari-Gran with no negative side effects.

MemberMember
(@ulrichsylvana1974gmail-com)

Posted : 02/21/2021 9:04 pm

On 11/22/2017 at 2:25 AM, mirey said:

I've had the allergic reaction for about 3 years now. It has gotten better but has not healed completely. When you wrote that the skin needs to be left naturally to expel, do you mean to not use any skincare and makeup products and leave it naturally?

Do you think activated charcoal soap might help expel the metals?

What is a good minerals makeup brand ?