Notifications
Clear all

Your favourite perfume?

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 08/25/2011 11:30 pm

Hey girls! :D

I've been using Darling by Kylie Minogue for a few years now and I was completely in love with it. I got it for every anniversary and birthday. Today I used it, and I just don't like it anymore... it's giving me a headache. I guess I've just moved on or something. No, I am not pregnant.

This is a style issue and a matter of saving my brain from the headache this perfume is giving me.

I think the right kind of perfume can give you some confidence and sense of self if you find your signature scent. Anybody have a favourite perfume? I need some suggestions, I have no idea where to start! I hate the perfume counter because it all eventually starts mashing together.

I want a perfume that makes people go "Oh you smell nice!" when they're near me. :D

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 08/25/2011 11:34 pm

I have a variety of scents I like and most share sandalwood in common. :P I love Twilight Woods from Bath and Body Works. I like Seductive Goddess (silly name) by Kimora Simmons for Baby Phat. I love Victoria's Secret Heavenly.

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 08/25/2011 11:39 pm

They sound really fresh and natural. :D Are they sort of subtle? I was using a perfume a long while ago that smelled like hazelnut chocolate. Great idea, but nobody wants to smell like chocolate every single day.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 08/25/2011 11:43 pm

They're semi-subtle. Not as subtle as some women's choices. :D Not as vibrant and loud and obvious as say, Spellbound (which I also have and like - it has a slight tinge of cloves to it) or Poison or Youth Dew. Those will whack their scent on your nose and then club your nose with it, too. Alll day!

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 08/25/2011 11:59 pm

They're semi-subtle. Not as subtle as some women's choices. :D Not as vibrant and loud and obvious as say, Spellbound (which I also have and like - it has a slight tinge of cloves to it) or Poison or Youth Dew. Those will whack their scent on your nose and then club your nose with it, too. Alll day!

Well that sounds awful. The one I've got on is giving me a headache, I didn't even use much of it. Maybe I left it in the heat or something and it's changed scents. I suppose perfume could do that. Are the perfumes you use available online? :o It's so hard to pick one, even when you smell it at a counter.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 08/26/2011 12:01 am

I think they can all be bought at their respective stores online (Bath/Body works, Victoria's Secret). I can find the Cheapie "Seductive Goddess" at drug stores or on ebay for good prices. :P Sometimes it's half price and that's when I snap it up. It smells sooo delicious to me.

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 08/26/2011 12:08 am

I can imagine Victoria's Secret perfumes being really nice. :D I dig eBay for cheap stuff, I'm such an online shopping junkie.

I've bought a few knock-offs before, they never smell quite like the perfume they're imitating, but usually they smell alright anyway. My mum used to wear Fire & Ice all the time, then bought a knock-off and it just wasn't right.

My friend always wears pretty perfume, she gets showered with compliments and whenever I smell the perfume she wears it reminds me of her. I want that. :D

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 08/26/2011 12:14 am

It is nice having a signature scent. :D

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 08/26/2011 12:25 am

It is nice having a signature scent. :D

Only if it's a good one!

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 08/26/2011 1:50 am

What kind of scent are you looking for? I love perfumes... I have a collection in my drawer :)

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 08/26/2011 2:58 am

What kind of scent are you looking for? I love perfumes... I have a collection in my drawer :)

Sounds weird, but something slightly masculine, but not like 'OMG ARE YOU WEARING MEN'S COLOGNE?!'. I don't like strong florals or ridiculously sweet perfumes, maybe something a bit more cool and refreshing?

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 08/26/2011 10:29 am

Sounds weird, but something slightly masculine, but not like 'OMG ARE YOU WEARING MEN'S COLOGNE?!'. I don't like strong florals or ridiculously sweet perfumes, maybe something a bit more cool and refreshing?

Ooh ok, interesting. :) I like Michael Kor's Island (original) for a clean and more masculine scent. Dior Addict is cologne-y but I definitely wouldn't call it cool and refreshing, more spicy/woodsy. Of course, the ever popular Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue does a good job of combining the two. I have these and love them. Givenchy to me has some amazing scents that aren't too sweet/girly. I love Irresistible (original).

MemberMember
(@sima)

Posted : 08/26/2011 10:33 am

Burberry the Brit

Burberry the Brit

Burberry the Brit

Burberry the Brit

Burberry the Brit

Burberry the Brit

Burberry the Brit

Burberry the Brit

Burberry the Brit

Burberry the Brit

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 08/26/2011 3:51 pm

I prefer body sprays or mists to perfumes. The scents are much less overpowering and nicely subtle. I hate breathing in the scent of heavy purfume all day long.

MemberMember
(@vampireninja09)

Posted : 08/26/2011 11:59 pm

Burberry the Brit

Burberry the Brit

Burberry the Brit

Burberry the Brit

Burberry the Brit

Burberry the Brit

Burberry the Brit

Burberry the Brit

Burberry the Brit

Burberry the Brit

I was going to get this one time.

MemberMember
(@vicious-lyss)

Posted : 08/27/2011 12:03 am

princess by vera wang and fantasy by britney spears !

and secret wonderland by bath & body works, but i prefer the lotion. soooo good oh god

MemberMember
(@shandon5)

Posted : 08/27/2011 12:11 am

Well other that CK1 I really like Perry Ellis f, and Roots Uniscent. I also used to love Alfred Sung but after having mono 15 years ago, I couldn't wear it anymore as it gave me a headache. Clinique Happy is nice too.

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 08/27/2011 1:17 am

Thank you, guys! :D How do I choose now?! I've got a little list here I'll take with me to the perfume counter next time I'm out, I might find some of them there.

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 08/27/2011 9:01 am

D&G have some nice light sprays with numbers the one I have is called l'amoreux' in French, its light green. I also like Pretty by Elizabeth Arden but dont know if they have it in Australia.

Another thing to consider, once you know the scents you like, if you dont want it to be so strong they make a lot of them in lotion form, which still smells the same but dont have that initial strong scent. The older I get the less I like strong scents...isnt that supposed to go the other way, lol ?

There are a lot of perfumed lotions I like, some of the Jennifer Lopez ones are nice like Live or GLo.

Id never wear Juicy Coture in spray form but the lotions are nice.

Its disturbing how much I like discussing this girly stuff :-)

MemberMember
(@nessavenasaur)

Posted : 08/28/2011 2:46 pm

I have Euphoria by Calvin Klein. I get compliments on it and people ask me what it is. I wish I could afford more!! I really like Very Hollywood by Michael Kors and second Givenchy's Very Irresistible.

A lot of department stores will give you samples - it's a good way to see how the perfume suits you. Everyone's personal scent kind of changes the perfume, so some scents will suit you and others won't. Good way to test them first without spending the money! Mother's day (I'm not sure when that is in Australia) is a great time for samples!! I still have a bunch that I use sparingly from 2 or 3 years ago haha

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 08/28/2011 6:02 pm

I have Euphoria by Calvin Klein. I get compliments on it and people ask me what it is. I wish I could afford more!! I really like Very Hollywood by Michael Kors and second Givenchy's Very Irresistible.

A lot of department stores will give you samples - it's a good way to see how the perfume suits you. Everyone's personal scent kind of changes the perfume, so some scents will suit you and others won't. Good way to test them first without spending the money! Mother's day (I'm not sure when that is in Australia) is a great time for samples!! I still have a bunch that I use sparingly from 2 or 3 years ago haha

I love the tiny little samples. :D That's a really good idea! I didn't even think of that, all I thought of were those silly little sticks they spray the perfume on. They all eventually smell the same after a while. I work on the same street as a big chemist with a perfume counter, I'll go up there today and collect a heap of samples. :P

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 08/28/2011 6:08 pm

Some places will have a container of coffee beans to sniff to 'clear your palate' so you can sniff different perfumes with renewed gusto and senses, without them all smelling alike.

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 08/31/2011 2:03 am

I went to the perfume counter today, oh my god, so overwhelming. @.O They had a little mushy container of coffee beans.

I ended up buying Hugo Boss for women... it smells uh-mazing, but cost me so much. I think I'll buy it online from now on. Came back, and now my boss is in love with it too. I definitely didn't have the cash to get it but it smells delicious, I want to take myself out on a classy date, hahaha.

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 08/31/2011 2:04 am

princess by vera wang and fantasy by britney spears !

and secret wonderland by bath & body works, but i prefer the lotion. soooo good oh god

I tried this one! Nice, but very sweet, a little bit too sweet for me. They didn't have Princess. :(

MemberMember
(@livelaughfart)

Posted : 08/31/2011 5:21 pm

I dont wear perfume because of the harsh chemicals in it but, when I drink lemonaid with cayanne pepper and mayple syrup people said i smelled really nice..and asked what perfume i was wearing. its a really strong smell so it can last all day after one drink.