Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WishClear127

Phytoestrogens & Phytoandrogens in Food

Are foods with phytoestogens helpful for preventing acne because they mimic estogen?

Or are phytoestogens harmful because they bind to receptors, preventing estogen from binding (and cause a weaker effect)?

I have the same question for phytoandrogens-

Are they helpful because they bind to androgren receptors and cause a weaker effect than androgens?

Or are phytoandrogens harmful because they mimic androgen?

It's individual. It depends on your personal balance. The weaker plant hormones may bind to receptors preventing stronger human hormones from doing so and therefore have less of an impact.

I think there's usually little effect unless you have a deficiency then they help such as in the case of plant estrogens for post menopausal women. Or unless you are taking supplemental doses of something high in plant hormones that you don't need. Such as flax seed which helps some and makes others, usually males, worse.

Here's a link to a discussion on plants high in phyto-androgens. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Phyto-And...=phyto-androgen

Don't know. Another thing that would be individual. And would depend on the food or supplement and how high it is in hormones.

Also, you don't use very much of the estrogen in the BCP. You pee out most of it right into our waterways where it screws up fish and other creatures that live there. And then we get to drink it again. Our water treatments systems filter little of the crap in our modern lives like hormones, medicines and other sources of unnatural chemicals.

Some phytoestrogens have a substantial antioxidant-like and protective effect and are quite healthy to some degree. As long as your diet isn't throwing your natural hormonal balance out of whack, I see no reason to be concerned with some sort of RDA for phytoestrogen.

Would phytoestrogens be harmful to those taking a birth control pill, preventing the estogen from the pill from binding to receptors?
Don't know. Another thing that would be individual. And would depend on the food or supplement and how high it is in hormones.

Also, you don't use very much of the estrogen in the BCP. You pee out most of it right into our waterways where it screws up fish and other creatures that live there. And then we get to drink it again. Our water treatments systems filter little of the crap in our modern lives like hormones, medicines and other sources of unnatural chemicals.

If most of the estrogen is peed out & not used in the body, does a higher estrogen BCP affect the body the same way as a lower estrogen BCP?

In other words, does a higher estrogen BCP not really make a difference?

I don't mean to sabatoge your board but alternavista what type of filter or water purifier would you recommend then?

I don't know. I think maybe only a reverse osmosis system will remove them, but it removes all beneficial minerals as well.

Here's an article about hormones, anti-biotics and other drugs in our water supply: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article....in-water-supply

Here's a 10-stage filter that claims to remove hormones: http://shop.friendsofwater.com/Pharmaceuti...Pharms-MTBE.htm

Edited by alternativista

Maybe I'm just sensitive to these things, but I can definitely taste the difference between filtered and unfiltered water.

Anyway, I don't think phytoestrogens and phytoandrogens are something we should be occupying ourselves with too much, if only for the fact that we should be worrying more about eating a balanced diet, rather than trying to balance some other external factors that are in many cases very easy to avoid and probably lower on the list of potential problems for acne-prone people than other more problematic factors.

It's something to keep in the back of your head, but not something that should dictate your diet to any significant degree.

Edited by chunkylard