Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ellinas

Is acne really as "big" as we see it compared to pics?

Title pretty much sums it up. Does the look of acne look more serious in comparison to the pics we've uploaded? I've seen a few thread where people post pictures of little dots and the OP assures us they;re worse in real life :P

So, are we imagining it because we see ourselves in the mirror every day and compare ourselves to other ppl with clear skin or do we need better lenses on our camera?

most of the people that post those are looking for re assurance or theyre just thick. obviously we're our own worst critics. it's true that most people don't see your skin that close or in that sort of light but we notice it more because we're uncomfortable with it. plus, your skin can look great in one picture then terrible in another.

no one can really know i guess either, what's bad to others is good to some and vise versa!

and our cameras are good enough thank you very much, i am still rocking my 2 megapixel phone camera and she does the job nicely! hd underwater cameras are pretty fun though, i took one out in the surf the other day and got heaps of cool footage, swimming with the jellies bra!

We're always going to be our own worst critics. For example, if we look at our own face and see anything from a single pimple to a full breakout of acne, that is what we will focus on. If we look in the mirror, that's what we focus on. And the odds our we'll have our faces pretty much pressed to the glass, so whatever problem we're focusing on looks bad and seems worse than perhaps it is. That's just how our minds work I guess once the insecurities of having acne have messed with our perceptions.

That's only really something I've learned since posting here. I've got to know a lot of very nice people and find out about who they are. Now, if one of those people shares a picture where maybe their skin's not in great shape, I don't really see it. I see the person behind it. I can think of instance where I've said things to people, "Even if your skin's not so good right now, don't be down on yourself because you're a wonderful person. That's what matters and that what the rest of us really see." I always call things as I see them so those people can be sure that I'm being honest. That's how things work and that what people really look for in others. It's just that we struggle to see the same thing in ourselves.

And for what it's worth, it's not the case that a "better" camera will automatically provide a picture that looks true to life or true to our perceptions, etc.. I have professional cameras and lenses used for portraits and, if you do it right, you can almost always make someone's skin look soft and even-toned without having to Photoshop it or whatever, but that's another subject.

I think the fact that we see it in certain lighting and are focusing on our flaws makes acne look much worse. Like in the bathroom, there's those bright lights above the mirror. They always highlight cysts on my forehead nicely and that makes them seem huge to me. Also, the fact that we can touch our own acne makes it seem worse. When I feel the tenderness of it and feel the size of the bump, to me, it feels like it's even bigger yet. Plus, when I see other people who are even having a really bad flare up, I see their beautiful eyes, their nice hair, etc. They still look attractive to me. When I see me, I can have less of a flare up than them and feel like it's absolutely horrible and I'm ugly, disfigured, etc.

Also, I agree with what another poster said about looking different from picture to picture. I've seen pictures of myself where I felt I was actually pretty and pictures of myself that made me feel so ugly (for reasons other than acne).

Edited by melissa6980

No. It's never as bad as we think it is.

Like Paul said, we are our own worst critics. To you, it will always be horrible. Things get blown out of proportion when we are upset.

Believe me, I've thought a few times that my face was horrible. In comparison though, there was worse times than that/or my skin wasn't that bad at all.

I actually think my acne looks worse in photos than it does in person, sometimes I'll look in a mirror and think it's getting less red but then I'll see a photo someone took a night ago and it looks terrible. It really does alter a lot in a variety of lighting, in sort of bleary grey typical British weather with a sort of even light it'll look ok, but when it's sunny or with a camera flash it looks much worse. It looks perfect in the dark though =p

if you take a look at your acne compared to another person who has severe acne much worse than you then you´ll see that your acne is not such a big problem as you think it is. you should compare your problem with acne with other problems, like worse diseases. or like i said before, compare your acne with someone who has Fulminant acne and trust me...that´s what i call acne.