Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
J23

Did any of you get real bad breakouts after starting Apple Cider Vinegar?

Hey everyone,

After reading a lot of good things both on Earth Clinic and here about using Apple Cider Vinegar for acne, I decided to try it out. I was using BP for a long time and I believe in staying as natural as possible, so I wanted to give the ACV a try.

I started this new regimen about 2 weeks ago, and now my skin looks awful. I don't remember the last time I was THIS broken out and red and just this bad looking. Plus my skin just feels irritated a lot of the time. Not that I was expecting to see any big improvement in this time period, but I certainly didn't think it would make it this much worse. Before I started it, I had a few pimples here and there, but now I probably have 25, some big and some small.

I am taking the ACV both internally and using it on my face after I wash.

Now I've read from a few different people that it's normal to experience a detox when starting a regimen like this and it's actually a good sign because it means the acne is flushing out, but I'm not too sure this is really a detox. I feel like it's getting worse and won't get better. Of course, after 8 years of acne, I feel like nothing is ever going to work and I'll be stuck with it forever.

Here's what I'm currently doing:

As for internally, I started out at 1 tablespoon of ACV taken 3 times per day mixed with a glass of water. I recently increased it to 2 tablespoons 3 times a day since I was seeing no results.

I also eat very healthy. I eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, healthy grains, nuts, seeds, etc. I buy almost all organic, natural foods.

For supplements I started using 50mg of Zinc per day and then I take other vitamins like C, E, B-12, D3, and a good multi-vitamin.

My external regimen is like this:

1. Wash my face with a tea tree face wash I got from Trader Joes. Based on the ingredient list, it looks like everything in here is natural.

2. After drying, I just dump some ACV onto one of those cotton pads and wipe it all over my face and neck. When I first started, I was diluting the ACV in water but since I was seeing no results, I started applying it straight to my face to see if it would change anything. No matter what, it keeps getting worse.

3. For a moisturizer I mainly have been using virgin coconut oil from Whole Foods, but I will sometimes use jojoba oil instead.

4. Due to the fact that my face keeps getting redder and more irritated, I recently started using some pure aloe vera right after the ACV to calm the skin down. I then apply my moisturizer (coconut oil or jojoba oil) once the aloe dries.

I usually only do this once per day. Sometimes I will rinse my face in the middle of the day and apply some more ACV and moisturizer if it feels like it's getting greasy or dirty.

It seems like every day it gets worse and worse and I'm not sure where to go from here. Should I cut back on the ACV and maybe only use it every other day? I have very sensitive skin so I'm wondering if the ACV is too much for it to handle. Or should I just dilute it down with water more?

I also bought some pure tea tree oil and I've used it like 3 times, but I don't want to use too many things at once, so I am going to wait a little while to incorporate that into what I'm doing.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences if this happened to you too. It's getting frustrating constantly trying new things and having none of them work.

Edited by J23

ACV destroyed my skin on the outside, even when I diluted the solution significantly. It was at it's worst when I combined it with baking soda before applying it. I think I just crossed the threshold of what my skin can handle.

However, taking it internally has really, really cleared the redness from my skin. I've only started doing this recently, as I'm already clear of acne. It's getting better each and every day. I take about 6 sips a day, before and after my heavier or higher carb meals.

ACV destroyed my skin on the outside, even when I diluted the solution significantly. It was at it's worst when I combined it with baking soda before applying it. I think I just crossed the threshold of what my skin can handle.

However, taking it internally has really, really cleared the redness from my skin. I've only started doing this recently, as I'm already clear of acne. It's getting better each and every day. I take about 6 sips a day, before and after my heavier or higher carb meals.

Yeah I think my skin is just way too sensitive for it. I've stopped using it on my face and now just consume it internally. I'm at about 2 tablespoons 3 times a day. I drink it with 16 oz of water and some raw organic honey to make it taste better.

I couldn't stand looking at myself anymore so I just went back to a 2.5% BP. I really hate the fact that it's not natural, but at this point I care more about having clear skin. And while BP doesn't make it completely go away, at least it somewhat controls it.

I ordered Dan's regimen too so I'm going to try that out and see how it works. I had been following something similar but I'm gonna try it with his products to see what happens.

For what it's worth, I've always found it works better when I take it straight, honestly. I just use a straw so it can't reach my teeth. I'm sorry to hear you're still suffering despite healthy eating, but there is so much more to it than that for some people. Stress, sleep, exercise, intolerances, allergies, topicals - all important.

I am only applying ACV to my face and not even diluting it. It's been like 3 weeks. It does bring up those pimples that will come up someday. Man, my face will not chill out...and its made my face sooo darn dry...

For what it's worth, I've always found it works better when I take it straight, honestly. I just use a straw so it can't reach my teeth. I'm sorry to hear you're still suffering despite healthy eating, but there is so much more to it than that for some people. Stress, sleep, exercise, intolerances, allergies, topicals - all important.

I don't know if I could drink it straight. ACV is disgusting and it burns your throat like hell. I wouldn't think that diluting it in water would minimize it's effectiveness at all. You're still getting the full amount. Seems like it'd be no different if I drank it straight and then had water afterwards, or diluted it in water.

Yeah there are a lot of other factors in play. It's just hard to figure out because I eat healthy, I get 8 hours of sleep a night, I work out 4-5 times a week, and I feel like I take really good care of myself. As far as I know I'm not allergic to anything either.

After stopping the ACV on my face and going back to BP 2.5%, my face has calmed down a lot and looks way better. I think for now I'll stick to that and doing ACV internally.

I am only applying ACV to my face and not even diluting it. It's been like 3 weeks. It does bring up those pimples that will come up someday. Man, my face will not chill out...and its made my face sooo darn dry...

Yeah mine was extremely red and irritated when I was putting it on my face straight. I was getting like 5 new pimples a day it seemed like and the old ones weren't going away either. Maybe it really was my skin just clearing itself out, but to me it's not worth it to walk around looking like that for weeks. I've even heard of detox periods lasting a few months and I'd rather not have to do that.

If it was only bringing up a few new pimples here and there that weren't as noticeable and not making my face severely red and irritated, maybe I'd stick it out. But I just think my skin is too sensitive for something so strong to be put on it.

Would you say yours has gotten much worse, or only a little bit?

I don't know if I could drink it straight. ACV is disgusting and it burns your throat like hell. I wouldn't think that diluting it in water would minimize it's effectiveness at all. You're still getting the full amount. Seems like it'd be no different if I drank it straight and then had water afterwards, or diluted it in water.

Yeah there are a lot of other factors in play. It's just hard to figure out because I eat healthy, I get 8 hours of sleep a night, I work out 4-5 times a week, and I feel like I take really good care of myself. As far as I know I'm not allergic to anything either.

After stopping the ACV on my face and going back to BP 2.5%, my face has calmed down a lot and looks way better. I think for now I'll stick to that and doing ACV internally.

Yeah mine was extremely red and irritated when I was putting it on my face straight. I was getting like 5 new pimples a day it seemed like and the old ones weren't going away either. Maybe it really was my skin just clearing itself out, but to me it's not worth it to walk around looking like that for weeks. I've even heard of detox periods lasting a few months and I'd rather not have to do that.

If it was only bringing up a few new pimples here and there that weren't as noticeable and not making my face severely red and irritated, maybe I'd stick it out. But I just think my skin is too sensitive for something so strong to be put on it.

Would you say yours has gotten much worse, or only a little bit?

Mine's only gotten a little worse. I am only using ACV for the indented scars on my face. I hate that whenever one pimple goes away..a new one comes up! Mostly by my nose... :| grrrr