Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello my name is Mike I just turned 18 and I've had acne problems since high school started, which ruined my high school life, well I wouldn't say ruined, I just couldn't live my life to the fullest! Anyways during my senior year I decided to go on accutane, and it worked. Almost all my acne was gone. Now I occasionally get zits here and there but they go away fairly quick. So now its been exactly a year since I took accutane, and my skin has some zits like on my chest and face, not bad though, BUT my skin looks like SHIT like it doesn't glow whatsoever I feel like its got this grayish tone to it, it looks so unhealthy. Uneven toned, I also have a tan because I tan easily, but even the tan seems nasty and dosen't glow.

Main reason why I posted this was because today I was at the gym with my freind and we were lifting weights right next to each other facing a mirror and his skin was glowing and looked so healthy, and my skin (gross dull/grey unhealty) looking, im surpirsed my friend didn't say anything because you could tell.

I also strongly believe in diets and vitimans for healthy looking skin.(Im currently not taking any)

Im just looking for some advice to make my skin look great! and Healthy!

Here is a list of my...idk unhealthy way of living? lol

1. I go to sleep late, also wake up late.

2. I eat cereal, or waffles, always...

3. I don't really eat anything till dinner, maybe a PB & J also snack on random foods(late nights)

4. Dinner vairys A LOT, soemtimes I eat a good meal, and sometimes I resort to cereal..

5. I try to drink a lot of water, I do good with that for a couple of days then I start to barley drink water.

6. I am poor at sticking with things. :( I know I can be good but idk

7. I just use a regualr bar of soap to wash my face, always have..

8. I like to take a lot of sun, to get a tan(bascailly to hide my red marks...)

9. The only good think I do is i acaully go to the gym preety often, thats about the only good thing.

So im asking you guys for help with how to make my skin look HEALTHY :) and GLOW :)

Got any good diets? or vitiam tips? Anything that can help me I would most appriciate it !!!!

Thank you! :)

hmmmmm maybe exfoliating then using a moisturizer like daily glow by.. clean n clear i think and if u use a regular bar of soap its really drying to your skin ESPECIALLY face because it strips the skin of healthy oil which makes skin glow

i also suggest you get more sleep at night (: i read somewhere people use manuku or any natural honey and they have said it makes them glow

hey im on month 5 of accutane how long did it take for allred marks to go away

Colourful veggies and fruits with anti-inflammatory properties - leafy greens, berries etc.

Antioxidants - spices are an easy source - cumin, oregano, rosemary, chillies et al.

Probiotics - if you can handle dairy, by all means procure the good bacteria from yogurt.

Limit sugar - bread, pasta etc. Some people may even need to limit fruit intake. Berries are always a good choice though.

The rest is really just the obvious stuff - good, proper sleep that leaves you refreshed. Exercise properly (intense workouts can very well have adverse effects on acne) and curb stress to the best of your ability. If you're prone to stress, you may very well want to avoid chronic cardio or prolonged, heavy weightlifting sessions due to increased cortisol (which is only one of the problems).

hmmmmm maybe exfoliating then using a moisturizer like daily glow by.. clean n clear i think and if u use a regular bar of soap its really drying to your skin ESPECIALLY face because it strips the skin of healthy oil which makes skin glow

i also suggest you get more sleep at night (: i read somewhere people use manuku or any natural honey and they have said it makes them glow

hey im on month 5 of accutane how long did it take for allred marks to go away

Dollyjoon,

Thanks for the advice :) and if I remember right, it took a long time for the red marks to go away :( I'd say 3-4 months after that last pill, probably less tho. Also I read something about MSM Powder if you take that everyday you can get arid of redmarks in a month. I never stuck with it tho lol but good luck with accutane, I hated it..

Colourful veggies and fruits with anti-inflammatory properties - leafy greens, berries etc.

Antioxidants - spices are an easy source - cumin, oregano, rosemary, chillies et al.

Probiotics - if you can handle dairy, by all means procure the good bacteria from yogurt.

Limit sugar - bread, pasta etc. Some people may even need to limit fruit intake. Berries are always a good choice though.

The rest is really just the obvious stuff - good, proper sleep that leaves you refreshed. Exercise properly (intense workouts can very well have adverse effects on acne) and curb stress to the best of your ability. If you're prone to stress, you may very well want to avoid chronic cardio or prolonged, heavy weightlifting sessions due to increased cortisol (which is only one of the problems).

Neverforget,

Good info here, I just have a question about the sleep, I go to sleep late, but wake up late. Its summer so I sleep in. Im getting my 8 hours of sleep maybe even more then 8 hours is that fine?

ugh im so thankful for accutane BUT i want to get off it already!!

Hahah thats exactly what I was thinking at that time :P it sucks!

Neverforget,

Good info here, I just have a question about the sleep, I go to sleep late, but wake up late. Its summer so I sleep in. Im getting my 8 hours of sleep maybe even more then 8 hours is that fine?

What time is late? The most important bodily functions that occur during sleep will peak between 10pm-1am, so I just go to bed around 11-11.30. Sleeping in late may also be problematic, especially if you're not getting much sunlight in general. You want to aim for as much natural light during the day, and then curb any artifical light during the night.

Unfortunately I still have acne, but I've noticed a few things that have made my skin look healthier and glowier, despite the spots..

1. Fish & fish oil -- definitely makes a difference to skins suppleness..

2. Coconut oil -- don't really know how/why but I've noticed when I eat a tablespoon per day, my skin looks healthier

3. Antioxidants -- especially berries ie blueberries & blackberries..yum

Neverforget,

What time is late? The most important bodily functions that occur during sleep will peak between 10pm-1am, so I just go to bed around 11-11.30. Sleeping in late may also be problematic, especially if you're not getting much sunlight in general. You want to aim for as much natural light during the day, and then curb any artifical light during the night.

I go to sleep around 2-3AM and wake up at 2-3PM..

Unfortunately I still have acne, but I've noticed a few things that have made my skin look healthier and glowier, despite the spots..

1. Fish & fish oil -- definitely makes a difference to skins suppleness..

2. Coconut oil -- don't really know how/why but I've noticed when I eat a tablespoon per day, my skin looks healthier

3. Antioxidants -- especially berries ie blueberries & blackberries..yum

Thanks for this, ill look into this stuff :)

hey try putting honey on your face and let it sit for an hour or so , then putt the vaseline coco butter lotion they sell it everywhere, and i had a horrible bad tan i was so pale and white and i used to walk home everday and my hands were litterly brown , i went to the dermatoligist and he said my tan on my arms were actually 6 SHADES DARKER!!! I WAS SCARED he gave me these pills but i blew them off it didnt help me at all until i went all natural just apply lemon choose everyday on where ever you tan is promise just after the first try you will know the difference p.s. i am now 1 shade darker then my skin , almost done with that horrible tan :)

That's definitely not good. I've seen many people here report that sleeping times and patterns really affect their skin, myself included. It's just natural. 12 hours is too much, I'd really imagine, especially if you're waking up in the late afternoon like that! If you choose to sort your sleeping pattern out (which I think everyone would agree on) then report back with any results.

That's definitely not good. I've seen many people here report that sleeping times and patterns really affect their skin, myself included. It's just natural. 12 hours is too much, I'd really imagine, especially if you're waking up in the late afternoon like that! If you choose to sort your sleeping pattern out (which I think everyone would agree on) then report back with any results.

Yeah it dosen't feel good lol. Tmr is my first day of classes for college. Im doing full-time college and also starting a job soon(part-time). So that will definatly change my sleep time for the better.

Good luck, man. Eventually a good pattern comes naturally after you set yourself a schedule. I go to bed early now without being concious of it.

Your problem is simply stated in your list of things you do, and it's so basic that your probably never thought twice about it. SOAP is terrible for the skin. Your skin produces natural sebum that is there to nourish and moisturize your skin, it also strips the acids in your skin that help fight against bacteria. Instead of washing with soap just splash cold water on your face morning and night and that is that. Allow your skin to operate the why it is suppose and not play catch up to stripping it of oils. This is how you restore your skin back to healthy glowing skin naturally. It make take some time but stick with it, doing this also prevents acne, as soap and hot/warm water dry the skin and promotes areas for bacteria.

Edited by freeliving

I also strongly believe in diets and vitimans for healthy looking skin.(Im currently not taking any)

Im just looking for some advice to make my skin look great! and Healthy!

Here is a list of my...idk unhealthy way of living? lol

1. I go to sleep late, also wake up late.

2. I eat cereal, or waffles, always...

3. I don't really eat anything till dinner, maybe a PB & J also snack on random foods(late nights)

4. Dinner vairys A LOT, soemtimes I eat a good meal, and sometimes I resort to cereal..

5. I try to drink a lot of water, I do good with that for a couple of days then I start to barley drink water.

6. I am poor at sticking with things. :( I know I can be good but idk

7. I just use a regualr bar of soap to wash my face, always have..

8. I like to take a lot of sun, to get a tan(bascailly to hide my red marks...)

9. The only good think I do is i acaully go to the gym preety often, thats about the only good thing.

Yeah, so you need to change 1-7 and be careful about the amount of sun.

Diet, lifestyle habits and fitness level affect everyone's acne and can help everyone's acne. Some people just have to work harder to figure out what they need do.

In general, what you want is a nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing, anti-inflammatory diet that doesn't include anything you have an intolerance for. And you need to sleep well, keep as natural as possible circadian rhythm, manage stress and be physically active.

Keep all meals, drinks and snacks low to moderate glycemic load. It's the impact of the meal that matters, not each and every food. Never drink or snack on sugar without plenty of fiber and fat to lower the glycemic impact.

Eat real, whole nutrient dense food. Limit/avoid sugar, grains-especially gluten grains and refined grain products, hydrogenated/trans fats (margarine, crisco, most fried foods, corn & veggie oil). This means avoiding most commercially prepared foods.

Also limit dairy, especially unfermented and especially from cows. Milk contains hormones meant to make tons of things happen in a rapidly growing infant's body. This causes bad things in our no longer rapidly growing post-adolescent bodies.

The most anti-inflammatory foods are plant foods and fish. Have lots of veggies, fruit, herbs, teas, spices, fish, etc. Try to have only products from pastured animals as much as possible. High omega 3 fish like wild salmon, sardines, herring. Farmed trout is also ok depending on where it's from, but avoid farmed salmon.

The most inflammatory foods/meals are anything that spikes your blood sugar/insulin, anything you have an intolerance for, trans fats and high omega 6 sources like grains, grain oils, and products from grain fed animals.

Follow an elimination diet to determine any intolerances you may have. Either follow a very hypoallergenic diet for a couple months, then methodically add foods back in, or methodically eliminate foods starting with the most commonly problematic ones such as grains, nuts, peanuts, soy, eggs, citrus, shellfish, dairy, etc.

Try completely avoiding gluten grains and dairy for at least a month. And even if you notice no improvement, they should not be a big part of your diet. Dairy always affects acne for a number of reasons and gluten isn't good for anyone, causing serious harm for some people, and is usually part of some high glycemic food anyway.

And avoid harsh cleansers and topicals. The cleansers aren't doing anything for you and most topicals are harmful, especially BP.

Hi alternativista,

I see you all over the fourms hahah. Helping everyone out :P

Anyways I strongly believe in everything your saying and I am planning on following all your advice but the thing is I don't understand it all too well. Like I get what the basics are.(Diet, lifestyle, Fitness) When you say "You need a nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing, anti-inflammatory diet" I don't understand it all to well, I know you explained it but idk its just sorta confusing, I dont know how to start or what foods to buy. I feel like everything has gluten in it, how do I know if it has gluten or not. I feel like all the foods around me are bad for me. Also should I get organic or not, I know its good, but is it that much better then non-organice. Its really expensive :( For now I will study your post.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Edited by mikee08