Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Renn17

Accutane newby-please help!

I went to my first derm appointment yesterday and she said she wants to put me on accutane. I'm so happy because I've heard all the stories of it being the ultimate 'cure', but the potential side-effects are freaking me out and half of me is saying "don't take it, the acne will go away on its own". I have a few questions, please answer!:

1) Will I still be able to wear foundation while on accutane? I'm a very self-conscious, shy person and the thought of going to 6th form with people looking at my skin makes me really nervous. I currently wear Estee Lauder Doublewear, will this still be suitable? Will it just flake off?

2) Will I still be able to exercise? I've heard that you have to cut down on physical activity.

3)How dry will my eyes/lips/skin be exactly? Is it physically painful?

4) I assume I'll be on accutane for a short time (4 months) because it isn't extremely severe, do the pros outweight the cons?

Please help!

1) Not completely sure, but Im pretty sure makeup can be used on accutane.

2) I've been exercising and for me its completely fine.

3) I think it's pretty dependant on your dose, a higher dose and youll feel the dryness more. Im on a medium dose at 50 mg/70 kg and I dont think the dryness is unbearable at all. I moisturize my skin 2 times a day and it feels completely fine at all times. My eyes are completely fine (I think dry eyes affects people who wear contacts more). Lips are the one thing that seems to get pretty dry for everyone, but as long as you stay on top of it and moisturize them frequently I don't think its that bad.

4) Depends on how bad your acne is and how much its affecting you

Remember though these answers reflect how its been for me, everyone reacts differently to it

Hi Renn,

Relax :cool:

1) I also use Estee Lauder Doublewear and would never be seen without it! I'm only on Day 4 but I intend to use it until I'm clear!

2) Yes, you are told not to do intense exercise. I am still planning on trying. You could always try it and see how your body handles it - then you'll know whether to be less intense or whether you can carry on. Everyones body reacts differently.

3) I can't tell you how dry mine is because I'm only on Day 4 so not got those side effects yet. From what I've heard, yes things get dry but as long as you are prepared with moisturising cream & lip balm (people swear by Aquaphor) then it is bearable! & if your eyes get dry then get some eye drops.

4) I'm on Accutane for 4 months at 60mg a day. I personally feel the pros outweigh the cons because I am desperate, I really feel like I have tried everything and this was a last resort. It really is up to you whether you think it is worth it. And remember if you get bad side effects you can always stop taking it.

Hope this helps!

Hi,

You sound in a similar position to me, I started my accutane course at the start of the summer hols and hope to stop just after going back to my sixth form. This is my second course of the 'tane and I was on 80mg a day for one month, now down to 20mg a day.

1) I was addicted to foundation before taking accutane but after a few weeks I didnt need it any more! (my skin cleared up v.quickly) its fine if you want to continue using it though.

2) exercise is no problem. (if you get joint pain try swimming as your weight is supported)

3) difficult one. When I was on 80mg the dry lips were unbareable. They bled and I found it hard to talk they hurt so much. I couldnt eat salty/spicey food either as it stung terribly. BUT im sure you will be on a way lower dose than me, so minimal problems. Just wack on carmex every half hour or so and your lips will be fine. I had no eye issues or dry skin elsewhere.

4) Its hard to say. I would go for it, if you get bad side effects you can stop taking it - For me the pros definitely outweighed the cons :)

Remember everyone reacts differently, this is just my experiance.

Hi,

You sound in a similar position to me, I started my accutane course at the start of the summer hols and hope to stop just after going back to my sixth form. This is my second course of the 'tane and I was on 80mg a day for one month, now down to 20mg a day.

1) I was addicted to foundation before taking accutane but after a few weeks I didnt need it any more! (my skin cleared up v.quickly) its fine if you want to continue using it though.

2) exercise is no problem. (if you get joint pain try swimming as your weight is supported)

3) difficult one. When I was on 80mg the dry lips were unbareable. They bled and I found it hard to talk they hurt so much. I couldnt eat salty/spicey food either as it stung terribly. BUT im sure you will be on a way lower dose than me, so minimal problems. Just wack on carmex every half hour or so and your lips will be fine. I had no eye issues or dry skin elsewhere.

4) Its hard to say. I would go for it, if you get bad side effects you can stop taking it - For me the pros definitely outweighed the cons :)

I really wish I was put on it at the start of summer so I could go back to 6th form with clear skin, but I had to wait 2 month for a derm appointment and I still have to wait till Tuesday to get a pregnancy test, and even then I'm not sure if I'll be given my prescription straight after showing I ain't pregnant or if I'll have to wait some more (I'm becoming so impatient, everything seems to be a waiting game!)

I'd be so happy if I saw results after a few weeks like you, fingers crossed that I'm that lucky!

Thanks everyone for the advice, I feel a lot happier about it all now :D

Hi,

I really wish I was put on it at the start of summer so I could go back to 6th form with clear skin, but I had to wait 2 month for a derm appointment and I still have to wait till Tuesday to get a pregnancy test, and even then I'm not sure if I'll be given my prescription straight after showing I ain't pregnant or if I'll have to wait some more (I'm becoming so impatient, everything seems to be a waiting game!)

I'd be so happy if I saw results after a few weeks like you, fingers crossed that I'm that lucky!

Thanks everyone for the advice, I feel a lot happier about it all now :D

Im happy im a guy, doctor prescribes me accutane and I get it the same day (it was like 2 years of trying other things first though..)

Apparently a lot more guys get accutane than girls just because of the pregnancy thing. I've hardly been out the house because of my acne, so unless I do a 'Virgin Mary' stunt it's impossible that I'll get pregnant so these monthly checks are gonna be horrible-I hate hospitals!

Anyone know if I'll get the drug straight after taking the pregnancy test and it showing negative, or do you have to wait some more?

1) Go ahead, I use foundation too. Then again, I never got any serious side effects and I've been on it for 4 months. All I get is chappy lips.

2) Go ahead and excersize, just not severely. A daily jog/walk is good and could help you loose weight very easily without worrying about straining your joints.

3) Well, it depends on the dose, personally the only thing that bothers me is the dryness on the lips, but everyone gets it differenty.

4) Depends entirely on the person. I have had only one con; dry lips. No other side effects, so I guess you can say Im lucky. and I too am on 40mg and it's been 4 months.

1) Go ahead, I use foundation too. Then again, I never got any serious side effects and I've been on it for 4 months. All I get is chappy lips.

2) Go ahead and excersize, just not severely. A daily jog/walk is good and could help you loose weight very easily without worrying about straining your joints.

3) Well, it depends on the dose, personally the only thing that bothers me is the dryness on the lips, but everyone gets it differenty.

4) Depends entirely on the person. I have had only one con; dry lips. No other side effects, so I guess you can say Im lucky. and I too am on 40mg and it's been 4 months.

Really hope I can keep wearing my foundation, at least until it clears a little. I'm so excited to get started and see results! Hopefully my joints won't be too bad because before all this I was in the middle of a gradual weight loss, lost 35lb and before I could feel a boost in self-confidence acne struck D:

This is going to be a highly chaotic post, but I just wanted to tell you that there is no problem with wearing make up, this is what my doctor told me, it's fine, you can wear it.

As for the exercise..everyone knows that physical activity is a part of healthy lifestyle, so, why would it be a problem? Eat healthy, exercise normally and you will be fine, it will even make your skin look better, but don't starve yourself and do not exhaust yourself to death with physical activity. Get a proper rest. Without getting enough sleep and rest you will not be able to lose any weight. Everything will be fine, side effects vary from person to person, I guess it depends on the person and on the dose as well. I'm on a really low dose and I had none side effects so far. Good luck, you are beautiful and you will be even more beautiful once you finish :]

This is going to be a highly chaotic post, but I just wanted to tell you that there is no problem with wearing make up, this is what my doctor told me, it's fine, you can wear it.

As for the exercise..everyone knows that physical activity is a part of healthy lifestyle, so, why would it be a problem? Eat healthy, exercise normally and you will be fine, it will even make your skin look better, but don't starve yourself and do not exhaust yourself to death with physical activity. Get a proper rest. Without getting enough sleep and rest you will not be able to lose any weight. Everything will be fine, side effects vary from person to person, I guess it depends on the person and on the dose as well. I'm on a really low dose and I had none side effects so far. Good luck, you are beautiful and you will be even more beautiful once you finish :]

Thanks! Never thought I'd be so excited to go to a hospital, can't wait to start! I'll keep people posted on how it works out for me :)