Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sd85

Starting Accutane!!

***********Day 121*************

Everything was great again today. Mentally, I'm ready to stop taking accutane. Even though my side effects have been very minimal, they are still there, and I'm tired of it. I took another two pills today, so I'm probably up to 68% now. I'll plow through at least a couple more packs of 30mgs and then see where I am. I think when I start tapering off, I'll do a week of 7 pills, then a week of 6 pills, then a week of 5 pills, etc, until I get down to two pills a week.

**********Day 122**********

I've sorted through my pills, and I'm right at 70% with my total dosage. Woohoo! A couple more weeks and I should have enough pills down to be through my minimum dosage. I'm a little bit behind on my pills, but nothing too bad. I should pick up another 1800mgs at the pharmacist tomorrow. I hadn't been rushing to get my pills from the pharmacist because I still had some left over. Anyways, I'm clear and ready to be done!

**********Day 123**********

Wow. Day 123. I remember when I started this whole process. I was so excited. Now, I am so over it. The excitement has definitely worn off. I know a lot of people are worried about whether they'll break out again once they get off accutane. I am only slightly concerned about that. The state of my skin did not change at all after my first course (if you are reading this whole log, you'll know I wasn't clear at the end of the course, so that's why I'm doing accutane again) so I'm not that worried about breaking out again. I can't even really tell you much about the state of my skin, because I've barely spent anytime at all in front of the mirror in the last several weeks. Now that my skin is clear I don't have any reason to. Just from feeling my face I can tell you that the bumps along my jawline & mouth are completely gone. I'm not sure when those little clogs fell out, but I can't feel them there anymore. Right now my skin is slightly dry. Usually one application of lotion per day is more than enough to take away any flakiness. I don't have any dryness on my hands, but I've been good about applying lotion daily. I think I might be starting to feel some achiness in my joints, but I can't say for sure because I'm sick right now. In any case, it's pretty mild, and nothing too much out of the ordinary. I hope you all have a good day. I'm about to head to work, so unfortunately my day will be deteriorating....

Day 123....update

So I inspected my skin in the mirror this morning. The pores on my nose are looking much better now. A lot of my pores are unnoticeable now! I still have some that have the tiny black dots, and a few clogs are the color of my skin but are very small and look more like hairs. The best part is that I can't squeeze any gunk out of any pore. YES!

**********Day 125**********

I'm still chugging along. I finally picked up my next months worth of pills from the pharmacy. This will get me over 120mg/kg, and I might get more pills next month. We'll see.

I have clear skin, and my side effects have been doing better. The inside of my nose is back to normal and not peeling anymore. I haven't noticed any aching joints/bones, so that's good. I know that I will be done with my treatment in just a few weeks, but let me tell you that I AM READY FOR IT!!

**********Day 128***********

I got a pimple on my cheek the day after my last post. It's just red now and not raised. It's funny, I was like "nooooooo! I can't possibly have a pimple!!!!!!!" LOL! And to think of where I was 2 or 3 months ago! hahaha....How the times have changed! It's ok though. I haven't been using ANY skincare products. If I am getting 1 or 2 pimples a month without using anything, then I think I am probably good to go once I am off of accutane. My side effects haven't changed much. I think my lip dryness has actually gotten better. I haven't needed much chapstick. My nose is still in good shape and not peeling. I've finally gotten my pills sorted out and I'm up to 74% of the way through my minimum cumulative dosage. As you know, I now have enough pills to make it to about 105%, so I'm good to go, plus I'm probably getting more pills next month.

**********Day 140***********

I haven't had any new pimples since my last post, which means that I've gone 2 straight weeks without a single spot.

My next dermatologist appointment is set for Feb 23. Unfortunately, I received a notice to report for jury duty on that day. I've asked to be temporarily excused because of my work appointments, but I STILL have not heard anything. It says in my information packet that I will be informed whether or not I am excused by the 15th of February. We'll see if I hear anything or not. Knowing government employees, I'm betting on not. Anyways, if I'm not excused, I think I'm going to just not go back for my next appointment instead of rescheduling. My skin is clear, I haven't had a spot in 2 weeks, and I'll be over the recommended minimum dosage.

Edited by sd85

**********Day 142***********

I still haven't gotten any new spots. This makes 16 days without getting a pimple. FREAKING AWESOME!!! I'm hoping to go the rest of my course without one. The backs of my hands are extremely dry, but I haven't been using much lotion. I'm pretty lazy about that. You can tell that I went my entire life with oily skin, because there pretty much isn't any real lotion in the entire house. My lips are moderately chapped, but nothing too bad. The inside of my nose is also dry and peely, but I can live with it. I still haven't gotten anything back on jury duty, so if I don't get anything in the mail in the next couple days I'm going to contact them AGAIN!

Ugh, jury duty! I also have jury duty. Makes me mad. I get why we have it, but it's ridiculous how they do it. I will loose so much money and in this economy!!! They wont want me though-I have such a bad attitude!

**********Day 147**********

I jinxed myself. I got a pimple on Day 143. Oh well.

The good news is, I got out of jury duty until October. I will probably be moving later this year, so there is a good chance I have gotten out of it completely!

My next derm appointment is on Thursday. I am hoping that she will give me even more pills at this visit. I am so far behind on my pills right now, but I am remembering to take at least 1 30mg pill per day. I have taken a total of 5700mgs, and I am shooting for at least 6720 (120mg/kg). I would like to get closer to 150mg/kg. With the pills I have now, I will get to 120mg/kg, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Anyways, my side effects have changed quite a bit. My lips are hardly dry at all, but I am starting to get some pain in my hips. My nose is still entirely dry and peeling on the inside---weird--since I don't have chapped lips anymore. I used chapstick only 2 times yesterday.

**********Day 148***********

No new spots since yesterday. I remembered to take 2 pills today, so thankfully, I didn't fall further behind. Derm appointment is on Thursday.

**********Day 149***********

Once again I remembered to take both pills. Tomorrow I have to go and have my blood drawn (ugh), and Thursday is my derm appointment. I am hoping to get more pills even though I am eager to get off accutane. My dried out nose has been bothering me non-stop, however I have not been missing greasy skin, and tons of pimples, so I'm willing to put up with it.

As of now, I am 87% of the way through my minimum cumulative dosage. Once I get a little over 100% I'm going to start tapering off the pills rather than quitting cold turkey. I should be to that point about the end of next weekend.

**********Day 151**********

I went to the derm today and she prescribed another month on 60mgs a day. Woohoo! Not only that but she says I might do ANOTHER month after this one!! shock.gif That would put me over 150mg/kg! I really hadn't planned on staying on accutane that long, but having extra pills would allow me to taper of my dosage quite well. Anyways, no new spots!

whoa! hope everything's going well!! I just went to my derm for my 4th month checkup. She said I would only need one more month (total of 5 months) so I am super excited! I didn't get to read your entire entries so I was wondering what your dosage is and your weight?

whoa! hope everything's going well!! I just went to my derm for my 4th month checkup. She said I would only need one more month (total of 5 months) so I am super excited! I didn't get to read your entire entries so I was wondering what your dosage is and your weight?

I'm 125lbs and was on 30mgs for the first two months and 60mgs each month after that.

**********Day 152***********

I'm doing great today. I haven't picked up my new prescription yet because my doctor hasn't confirmed my pregnancy test with ipledge yet. I ALWAYS have to call and remind them. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow morning.

Side effects are still relatively mild.

**********Day 155**********

I haven't had any new spots since my last update. This makes 12 days. Woohoo! Just for the record, I am totally clear at this point, and have been for quite some time.

I'm over 90% of my total minimum dosage, so I'll will be starting to taper off my dosage soon. I have to pick up my next 6 boxes of 30mg pills at the pharmacy tomorrow.

**********Day 157***********

i still haven't gotten any pimples. I'm up to 14 days straight now, if I can make it through the weekend without getting a pimple, that would be great. The side effects are still pretty mild, except the inside of my nose is driving me CRAZY! I am feeling the urge to pick at the dry skin that is peeling off the inside of my nose. Sometimes at work I will go in the bathroom and pull all of the pieces of dry skin off (ouch). Sometimes I will get a bloody nose, and sometimes not. Anyways, I am really looking forward to tapering off this medication.

For those of you that are off Accutane now, how long did it take before your lips and nose were back to normal?

***********Day 158***********

I still haven't gotten a pimple. Woohoo... If I got until Saturday without a spot, I'll beat my previous record of 16 days. Anyways...

My nose has gotten ewwww....The inside of my nose is pretty much coated with dried blood and shreds of peeling skin. Now that I'm at 92% of my cumulative dosage, I'm really eager to start tapering off this medication. I think if I stayed on this much longer my entire nose would just peel off (from the inside of course, since the outside looks perfectly normal). My goal is to stay on my regular dosage until I go back to work after the following weekend (like 10 days from now) I'll be over 120mg/kg at that point, and I need some relief.

In the end, this accutane journey has been TOTALLY worth it. I would definitely do it again.

**********Day 160**********

Well, the main reason I am updating today is because I have gone 17 days without a single pimple. This beats my previous record of 16 days. YES!! The good news is I don't feel like anything new is coming in either!! I'm very close to being over 100%. I haven't totalled everything up, but on day 155 I was at 90%, so I've got to be close. Probably just a couple more days.

My nose has gotten much better. I still feel like I need to pick it (even though there is nothing there) just because of all the dry skin in my nose. Eh, I'll live with it.

I got my hair cut today, so I'm excited to be looking good and have great skin. FINALLY!

They are pretty much gone. I have a couple that you can still see (just barely) but otherwise, I'm looking really good!

**********Day 162**********

I'm up to 19 days without a single pimple. I think it's safe to say that Accutane was a success.

I've decided to start tapering off my dosage earlier than I said previously. I woke up this morning and just thought "I look like crap." My skin was quite dry and my hands were even worse. My lips looked extremely chapped and were bright red. I'm going to take only 1 30mg per day and skip a pill on Wednesday. Next week I am going to do the same thing except I plan to skip a pill on Tuesday and Friday. I'll see how I feel at the end of next week before I decide on the rest of my plan. I am just hoping that the severe dryness starts to go away. I have NEVER had dry skin. I haven't totaled all of my pills up, but I am very close to being over 100% of my minimum cumulative dose. If anyone knows of any logs that used the 'taper off' method of quitting Accutane please let me know.

Also, are any of you planning to take over-the-counter retinol (closest thing to accutane) supplements once you are done with Accutane? I've got some extra ones in my medicine cabinet so I thought I might try it since I've already paid for them.