Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sd85

Starting Accutane!!

**********Day 84**********

Once again I didn't have any new spots this morning. I realized tonight that it is probably going to be quite some time before my red marks go away.

I've been more careful about moisturizing, and most of my dry, scaly patches have gone away.

Still no more progress with the clogs in my nose.

My clogs are taking forever and a day. A bit frustrating but I'm trying to not do anything rash like try to squeeze them out. Most of the time they just come back so I'd rather just let accutane get rid of them properly. Glad you're not getting zits anymore. I had the same realization about my red marks today but I'm hoping mederma might help a bit...who knows.

**********Day 86**********

I still haven't had anything new pop up. I squeezed out a clog while I was in the shower today. It's so annoying how I can STILL feel them underneath my skin. Haven't had much progress with the red marks. I know it is going to take a LONG time though. I just have to be patient. brow.gif

Anyways, I am 46% through my minimum dosage. I can't wait to get off of this stuff. I hate the inside of my nose being all dry and crusty. Ew.

**********Day 87**********

I met with my derm this morning. My labs came back great. They said that they really couldn't be any better even if I were not on Accutane. So far, Accutane has really not affected me much. I've had dry lips and dry nostrils, but nothing outrageous. I'll still be glad to be done with it, but overall I'm doing very well. She said I will be staying on 60mgs/day.

I barely looked in the mirror this morning, so I can't say much about my red marks. I definitely don't have any new spots though.

47% of the way through my total minimum dosage.

Edited by sd85

**********Day 78**********

My skin was a LOT better today. It seems like my red marks went down about 50% overnight. Awesome! I have not had a pimple in almost 10 days. I see my dermatologist in 9 days, so I'm interested to see what she thinks. If I keep going like this you won't even be able to tell that I ever even had acne within a month.

I know a lot of people are afraid to stop taking Accutane because they are afraid their acne will come back. But, after my last course, my acne pretty much stayed the same as the day I took my last pill, so I think I will probably be OK, although I'm not eager to give up the good side effects:

The one thing that I've appreciated most while doing Accutane is that I can go FOREVER without washing my hair. The longest I've gone so far is 3 days, but I was afraid that it might start smelling bad, so I went ahead and washed it.

I can't believe I didn't go on Accutane earlier---what was I thinking?

Now, on to the bad stuff: the tops of my hands are still VERY dry. I am not applying regular lotions as they all burn like I'm rubbing acid on my hands. Two days ago I started using olive oil on them, which doesn't burn. I pour a little on to a paper napkin, and then rub it on my skin. I can't tell if it has helped or not. They're still pretty dry. I also missed a pill recently, so the decreased dosage might help things out a little.

My face is a little dry around my lips and the sides of my nose, but not anything overly unusual.

One thing that I am concerned about is whether my facial oiliness will come back once I am off the pills. I didn't really notice a decrease in oil at all while on my first course, and I was on 80mgs a day. This was a VERY high dose for someone that was about 115lbs. I don't know if it was just because I was 16, but I didn't seem to notice any changes other than slightly decreased acne and dry lips. Weird.

Currently, I am 41% of the way through my necessary dose.

When you say that your red marks seem to have died down over night are you talking about overall redness from accutane or hyperpigmentation ?

**********Day 78**********

My skin was a LOT better today. It seems like my red marks went down about 50% overnight. Awesome! I have not had a pimple in almost 10 days. I see my dermatologist in 9 days, so I'm interested to see what she thinks. If I keep going like this you won't even be able to tell that I ever even had acne within a month.

I know a lot of people are afraid to stop taking Accutane because they are afraid their acne will come back. But, after my last course, my acne pretty much stayed the same as the day I took my last pill, so I think I will probably be OK, although I'm not eager to give up the good side effects:

The one thing that I've appreciated most while doing Accutane is that I can go FOREVER without washing my hair. The longest I've gone so far is 3 days, but I was afraid that it might start smelling bad, so I went ahead and washed it.

I can't believe I didn't go on Accutane earlier---what was I thinking?

Now, on to the bad stuff: the tops of my hands are still VERY dry. I am not applying regular lotions as they all burn like I'm rubbing acid on my hands. Two days ago I started using olive oil on them, which doesn't burn. I pour a little on to a paper napkin, and then rub it on my skin. I can't tell if it has helped or not. They're still pretty dry. I also missed a pill recently, so the decreased dosage might help things out a little.

My face is a little dry around my lips and the sides of my nose, but not anything overly unusual.

One thing that I am concerned about is whether my facial oiliness will come back once I am off the pills. I didn't really notice a decrease in oil at all while on my first course, and I was on 80mgs a day. This was a VERY high dose for someone that was about 115lbs. I don't know if it was just because I was 16, but I didn't seem to notice any changes other than slightly decreased acne and dry lips. Weird.

Currently, I am 41% of the way through my necessary dose.

When you say that your red marks seem to have died down over night are you talking about overall redness from accutane or hyperpigmentation ?

Hyperpigmentation

**********Day 88**********

Once again, no new pimples. This makes 9 days without a single new spot. Yay-hoo. My skin still doesn't look that great though. I have a lot of red marks, especially on my right side. I also had two clogs fall out this morning, and those pores are now quite red.

**********Day 89**********

Everything is pretty much the same as yesterday. Nothing new going on today! I still have a lot of red marks, although I'm sure they are getting better. It's just taking a long, long, time.

Given that I haven't had many side effects, there are some things that I will miss when I'm not on it: NOT HAVING TO WASH MY HAIR!!! How awesome is that? Seriously, I can go at least a week without it looking greasy. Unbelievable! It saves me SO MUCH TIME because I don't constantly have to restyle my hair, reapply make up, reapply deodorant, change clothes, because I just don't get greasy anymore. I probably have an extra hour every day because of this. I can just wash whenever it is convenient, not every 8 hours because I'm a disgusting, greasy mess.

**********Day 89**********

Everything is pretty much the same as yesterday. Nothing new going on today! I still have a lot of red marks, although I'm sure they are getting better. It's just taking a long, long, time.

Given that I haven't had many side effects, there are some things that I will miss when I'm not on it: NOT HAVING TO WASH MY HAIR!!! How awesome is that? Seriously, I can go at least a week without it looking greasy. Unbelievable! It saves me SO MUCH TIME because I don't constantly have to restyle my hair, reapply make up, reapply deodorant, change clothes, because I just don't get greasy anymore. I probably have an extra hour every day because of this. I can just wash whenever it is convenient, not every 8 hours because I'm a disgusting, greasy mess.

Oh my gosh, I'm loving that too! I still have to shower everyday because I get all sweaty at the gym, but it's so much quicker being able to put my hair in a pony And just wash my face and body and I'm good to go! I've been enjoying the extra 30 minutes in the morning to either sleep or drinking my coffee at home and not in the car. I hope that I can get away with at least an extra day or two once I'm off my course :)

**********Day 96**********

Everything has been going great. I haven't had any pimples since my last update, although I did have a couple of clogs push themselves out that inflamed the surrounding skin. I'm still looking great though.

Glad to hear things are going well for you!! Not having oily skin has definitely been a HUGE plus for me. I hear you about the red marks though. I talked to my dermatologist today & she was pretty much like "yeah....those things are going to be around for probably half a year" EEK! Guess patience really is a virtue.

Guest bryanv30

I did Accutane about 20 years ago. It was only a temporary fix and soon after i got off the product my acne reared its ugly head. It really messed my stomach up and made my lips burn. I would not recommend this product. If you are interested in natural cures, I found a good natural solution from this website. www.teasforscars.com. even though it says it helps with scars, my acne is under control. Good luck!

Glad to hear things are going well for you!! Not having oily skin has definitely been a HUGE plus for me. I hear you about the red marks though. I talked to my dermatologist today & she was pretty much like "yeah....those things are going to be around for probably half a year" EEK! Guess patience really is a virtue.

Yeah, things are getting better, but progress has been slow. Last night after I got out of the shower I looked probably the best that I have in a REALLY long time. Probably the best in the last 5 years.

Congrats on your progress! It makes me so happy to hear all of your good news. Accutane has changed my life. I finished my 40mg 6month course on September 25th, 2011. It's definitely a journey. Patience is key, that's for sure. There were days where i just wanted to stop the whole thing and give up. Stay positive, girl :D If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

-Courtney

***********Day 98***********

Everything is looking great. I haven't had any pimples in quite some time. This is a great way to start the new year. I'm pretty much clear at this point. The clogs on my nose aren't totally gone, but they are about 80% smaller than they were before Accutane. It seems weird to have another 2-3 months left when I have clear skin now. Oh well. I will love the supreme lack of oil production and lack of hair washing!

I'm 51% of the way through my total minimum dosage.

**********Day 101**********

Darn it. Got a pimple on my chin today. Fortunately, it wasn't raised or inflamed yet, and I got all the gunk out, so hopefully that's the end of it. I could still feel the lump under my skin though. I guess I am not ready to get off of this stuff yet?

**********Day 105**********

One of my old red marks turned back into a pimple today. I guess all of the crap didn't get out :(

Anyways, I'm still doing pretty well. My left side is entirely clear, but I still have a bunch of red marks and healing spots on my right side. Probably at least 5 or 6.

I'm up to 56% of the way through my total cumulative dose.

***********Day 106***********

Everything is pretty much the same as yesterday. Nothing new, just a whole bunch of red spots on the right side.

I'm 57% of the way through my total minimum dose.

**********Day 108*********

No new spots, and my old ones aren't healing up, so I'm pretty much the same as two days ago......

58% of the way through my total minimum dosage

**********Day 111*********

I'm doing a bit better now. My old spots have healed up a little bit and didn't seem quite so red the last couple of days. I haven't had any new pimples since I last updated. Now that I'm getting towards the end of my Accutane course ( I think), I'll give you an update on the side effects. I definitely have dry lips, but they aren't too bad. I use chapstick about 5 times per day. The inside of my nose is peeling, although this seems to have improved since about 2 weeks ago. I've also noticed a little bit of stiffness in my right hip. And, as of right now, I have a very mild headache from taking my pills too close together (one at breakfast, and the other at lunch). I didn't have much water from about 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm, so I just chugged down about a pint. So far, the headache hasn't gotten any worse.

i have an appointment with my derm a week from Monday. I'm pretty sure I'm getting more pills next month. I certainly hope so. I really want to get up to 120mgs/kg. With the pills I have now, I'll only get about 80% there.

The clogs in my nose have gotten much better. I really don't even notice them anymore. Maybe I'll give them a better inspection tomorrow.

**********Day 111*********

I'm doing a bit better now. My old spots have healed up a little bit and didn't seem quite so red the last couple of days. I haven't had any new pimples since I last updated. Now that I'm getting towards the end of my Accutane course ( I think), I'll give you an update on the side effects. I definitely have dry lips, but they aren't too bad. I use chapstick about 5 times per day. The inside of my nose is peeling, although this seems to have improved since about 2 weeks ago. I've also noticed a little bit of stiffness in my right hip. And, as of right now, I have a very mild headache from taking my pills too close together (one at breakfast, and the other at lunch). I didn't have much water from about 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm, so I just chugged down about a pint. So far, the headache hasn't gotten any worse.

i have an appointment with my derm a week from Monday. I'm pretty sure I'm getting more pills next month. I certainly hope so. I really want to get up to 120mgs/kg. With the pills I have now, I'll only get about 80% there.

The clogs in my nose have gotten much better. I really don't even notice them anymore. Maybe I'll give them a better inspection tomorrow.

Everything is looking up for you! I'm very excited for you nod.gif Keep at it and you're gonna be free from the horrible burden of acne. I'm still a long way from finishing my course, but it feels good reading other people's success.

**********Day 114**********

I haven't been good with making sure to take both pills every day. Oh well. Even with 1 30mg pill I am above the .5mg/kg/day recommended dosage. My skin is great though. I'll just keep taking at least 1 pill per day, until they run out. I have a derm appointment in 6 days, so we'll see what they have to say.

**********Day 119**********

I haven't had any new pimples since my last update. Right now I have clear skin, and my red spots are pretty well faded. You can still see them but they are much lighter than they were before. I have my derm appointment tomorrow (at 8am---ew!!). I am hoping that they will still give me another month of Accutane. With the pills I have now, I will receive only 80% of my minimum necessary cumulative dose.

**********Day 120**********

GREAT NEWS!

I met with my dermatologist today and not only did she give me another month at 60mgs, but she said might give me more at my next visit. With the pills she gave me today, I will get over my minimum necessary dosage (hurray!). As of now I am at 67% of my minimum necessary dosage.