Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sd85

Starting Accutane!!

**********DAY 9**********

Once again, there haven't been any real changes on the skin front. My lips are quite dry, but they only feel dry. I've been really good about keeping up with the aquaphor and carmex, so right now I still look like a normal person. I remember from my last course (10+ years ago) how bad they can get.

I'm breaking out here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary for me. My acne is not THAT bad, so I'm wondering when it might start to clear up. Any ideas? It seems like last time it was about the middle of the third month before things got better.

Tomorrow I finish my first pack of pills (Woohoo!)

**********Day 10**********

I just finished my first pack of pills! On to the next one!

Today my skin didn't get crazy oily, which is definitely an improvement. In fact--it seemed normal! My lips are relatively dry, but nothing unmanageable. My nostrils are also starting to get dry.

**********Day 11**********

I woke up this morning and my face was not oily! Awesome! This isn't the first time I've noticed that my face has been getting less oily since I've started accutane treatment. Maybe with the decrease in oil production it will finally give all the blackheads and filaments a chance to go away!!! In my adult life, I've never seen myself without huge clogged pores. It has been about 14 years since I've had completely clear skin. Crazy! Here's to hoping it finally works!

I got a few new pimples yesterday, but they were pretty small.

**********Day 12**********

My skin is a little bit more oily this morning than it was yesterday, but it is still much better than normal. My lips are beginning to require using chapstick a lot more. I probably need to apply it about a dozen times per day. There's still no progress with the blackheads on my nose :(

No changes in my skin.

**********Day 13**********

I'm convinced now that my oil production is definitely decreased. My face has not been super greasy in probably a week. My skin hasn't cleared or anything, but the decrease in oil is fantastic!!

**********Day 15**********

I'm still sailing along in my course. I haven't had any unusually bad breakouts, and the side effects haven't been too bad either. My dry lips are probably the worst side effect. In addition, my scalp is slightly itchy, and my nostrils are still somewhat dry. Tomorrow I have a blood test to check my levels and make sure my first month is doing OK. Unfortunately I'm still waiting to see some results!!

**********Day 16**********

I think I'm probably sounding like a broken record here, but still I'm not experiencing much out of the ordinary in terms of the IB. I'll be interested to see what, if anything, happens when I bump up to 60mg/day.

Side effects:

My skin was rather tight this morning after getting out of the shower, which was nice for a change. I'm pretty sure this has NEVER happened. I even applied a little bit of lotion. I haven't had much in the way of flakiness though. Lips are moderately dry. I am applying chapstick about once every 1-2 hours. I think I did it 3 times while I was at work today. I think the dryness of my lips has actually gotten better since 3-4 days ago. It seemed like I was applying chapstick about once every 45 minutes.

I went and got my 2 week blood test done today. Hopefully, I don't hear anything, since no news is good news. I think my next derm appointment is 2 weeks from tomorrow. I lost my appointment card, but fortunately they call and remind you what time your appointment is about 3 days beforehand.

Good luck to you. I'm 10 days ahead of you and I also had super oily skin, gets oily within 30 mins of showering. As of today I'm glad to report that it is bone dry and a bit difficult to make any facial expression. I guess it's time to bust out the moisturizer. Currently going through an initial breakout right now...totally blows. Hope the same doesn't happen to you.

You are going through the initial breakout because you didn't use the moisturizer already. You need to start moisturizing immediately when you start taking Accutane.

Good luck to you. I'm 10 days ahead of you and I also had super oily skin, gets oily within 30 mins of showering. As of today I'm glad to report that it is bone dry and a bit difficult to make any facial expression. I guess it's time to bust out the moisturizer. Currently going through an initial breakout right now...totally blows. Hope the same doesn't happen to you.

You are going through the initial breakout because you didn't use the moisturizer already. You need to start moisturizing immediately when you start taking Accutane.

Pimples are not caused by not using moisturizer. Because of confirmation bias I also do not endorse the idea of an "initial breakout." As of yet, I have not seen any scientific papers confirming the existence of an "initial breakout"

However, I do agree that it may be necessary to use moisturizer while on Accutane.

Pimples are not caused by not using moisturizer. Because of confirmation bias I also do not endorse the idea of an "initial breakout." As of yet, I have not seen any scientific papers confirming the existence of an "initial breakout"

Skin reacts to dryness by trying to boost oil production to moisturize itself, that's the cause of the "initial breakout" if you're not already using a moisturizer. You can look it up.

Skin reacts to dryness by trying to boost oil production to moisturize itself, that's the cause of the "initial breakout" if you're not already using a moisturizer. You can look it up.

I have looked up many, many papers on acne, the production of oil, and so forth. Although it is hypothesized that dryness can increase oil production, there is no documented causation or even correlation of the initial breakout with dryness.

**********Day 17**********

Well, I made it through day 16. I am so stressed out with work that time passes so slowly. I feel like I have been on Accutane for 6 months.

Anyways, last night I thought I noticed some clear pores on my nose. I decided to wait and make sure it wasn't in my head before updating my log. Unfortunately, it was in my head. I did not see any clear pores this morning. sad.png

However, I don't have any new pimples, which is a nice bonus.

UPDATE:

I got my lab results back today, and they said they were within the normal range. So unless something changes in the next ten days, I should be good to go for month 2!!

Edited by sd85

It can take a pretty long time until you start noticing real results, so don't get depressed or think it doesn't work, just stay on the med. eusa_dance.gif

It can take a pretty long time until you start noticing real results, so don't get depressed or think it doesn't work, just stay on the med. eusa_dance.gif

Yeah, this is actually my second course so I know it's probably going to be a while. I am thinking that this time around might be different since my acne is so much better than it was the first time. On my first course it was about the middle of the third month (about day 75). Sigh...

Hey guys,

Even though I already updated once today, I decided to make another entry. For the last month or two I've been feeling really unmotivated and dissatisfied. I'm bored at my current job, and I feel I'm ready to move on. BUT, my husband will be finishing his degree in May, and then we will be moving, so I can't really go ahead and look for another position right now. I just feel like I'm spinning my wheels and not getting anywhere. It is such a pain in the butt to know that I will be moving, but I don't know where yet, so I really can't go ahead and make any plans. I feel like I am wishing the time away, but I know I shouldn't be doing that. We hope to know by Christmas where we might be living next fall. Ugh....I'm just tired of this whole situation.

Anyways, on the accutane front:

I used chapstick only 3 times today. My dry lips are definitely improving. If they go away, I won't have any side effects at all...I'm looking forward to bumping up to 60mg next month. I'm guessing that I'll be getting 2 30mg pills per day. But, since I started on the 26th of September, my monthly appointments will all fall over Thanksgiving and Christmas...which means I will constantly be running out of pills for long periods of time. I'm thinking that I might keep using only 1 30mg pill a day for the first week of the second month so that I don't have to worry about running out of pills. Good idea?

**********Day 18**********

My skin's been doing pretty well the last few days. I haven't been breaking out much. I've had slightly dry skin, especially around my mouth. I put on a little bit of lotion this morning, and that took care of everything. My lips aren't too dry today either. I could go without using any chapstick if I had to, but it's definitely more comfortable with it on. I still haven't noticed any progress with those darn blackheads, filaments, and other little bumps under the skin....surely one of these days something will happen with them....

I am on my first week of Accutane and my lips are starting to get dry :( but that means the Accutane is working! Best of luck! :D

**********Day 19**********

Ok, I definitely noticed changes today. For once I don't need to wait another day to make sure it's not it my head. I have tiny blackheads coming up in pretty much every pore on my jaw and chin area. I never had blackheads there before. I've also noticed them on my cheek area and right where my cheese and nose meet. I did have sebaceous filaments on my cheeks on occassion, but never black dots coming from pretty much every pore! I am so excited it's finally happening!!

Awhile back I noticed a drastic decrease in the oiliness of my skin. I'm guessing this change could be causing all of the blackheads to appear?

On the negative side of things, I am getting a lot of those little bumps under the skin, especially on my jaw, edges of the cheek, and the temple area. I also have a few on my forehead. I'm guessing this is related to the blackhead issue, since they happened at pretty much the same time. Woohoo! Can wait until tomorrow so I can scrub some of this old skin off and wait for the new skin to come in! Just FYI, my skin is not overly flakey or dry. I have used lotion only 2 times since starting Accutane.

I'm so pumped!!!

So, I just got done reading your log. I feel like its such a bummer that your old dermatologist only had you on accutane for 3 months. If they had put you on it for the reccomended time of 5 months-I bet you would have been cured forever. My first course I was 23 and was on 80mg a day for 5 months. Then I was on 80 a day for two months and a 120mg for 3 months (a total of 5 months) when I was 24. Now I'm on 80mg a day for 5 months and I'm 29. Crazy huh!?! I respond really well to it. I'm just unlucky in the sense that it doesn't cure me for good. :(

So, I just got done reading your log. I feel like its such a bummer that your old dermatologist only had you on accutane for 3 months. If they had put you on it for the reccomended time of 5 months-I bet you would have been cured forever. My first course I was 23 and was on 80mg a day for 5 months. Then I was on 80 a day for two months and a 120mg for 3 months (a total of 5 months) when I was 24. Now I'm on 80mg a day for 5 months and I'm 29. Crazy huh!?! I respond really well to it. I'm just unlucky in the sense that it doesn't cure me for good. sad.png

Yes, I feel that since my original dermatologist didn't follow the dosing recommendations on my first course, it wasn't as effective. Back then I weighed about 115 lbs. 80mgs a day is obviously too high for someone that small. I got my entire "cumulative dose" in only 3 months. Since then, I've moved and have a new dermatologist. I'm taking 30 mg for the first month and 60 mgs after that, which is probably perfect. I should be done in 5 months.

I'm really excited to see the changes during this course, especially right now when all of my clogged pores seem to be coming to the surface and causing blackheads. I've noticed that some people claim their blackheads "fall out." I didn't notice that on my first course, but my skin was MUCH more oily back then. Now, it is a tiny bit dry, so I can understand how I would be losing all of my clogged pores (due to lack of oil).

I'm having a lot of bumps come up under the skin right now. Lots of regular blackheads too. Tonight I went in the bathroom and gave my face a pretty thorough washing and exfoliation. I know the only thing that will make my skin get better faster is to constantly be taking the top layer of skin cells off. Since my skin hasn't been dry much, I can probably keep this up for a while.

I'm impatient.

Edited by sd85

**********Day 20**********

Today I'll be finishing my second pack of pills. My skin is the same as yesterday: LOTS of little bumps, and a bunch of blackheads. So far, they aren't raised out of the skin like some people have described....just stuck in the pore like regular blackheads.

**********Day 21**********

I just started my third pack of 30mg pills. My face still has lots of bumps and blackheads :( I'm not breaking out much though. I've got one pretty large one right between the eyes, but everything else is pretty small. My side effects have been getting better. Last night I put chapstick on at 7pm and didn't put anything else on until 9:30 this morning, even though I was awake until almost midnight. My skin hasn't been dry at all either.

**********Day 22**********

My jawline and chin area were a little bit dry this morning. The big zit smack between my eyes hasn't done anything. It's just been sitting there for almost a week now. I haven't been picking at it or anything, so hopefully it can just GO AWAY!! When I looked in the mirror this morning I didn't notice the little bumps under the skin quite as much. I'm not sure if some of them have gone away, or if it's just all in my head. There haven't been any changes on my nose. All of my huge filaments are still there, even with the big reduction in oil that I've been experiencing. I'm pretty much convinced that I am going to need a higher dose in order to tame the oil even more. Luckily, that's what I'll be getting in a little over a week.

**********Day 23**********

Not much to report today. I'm still not seeing any improvement, but overall, it's not getting any worse. I'm definitely ready to bump up my dosage. I have almost zero side effects. I put on chapstick a couple of times a day, but not any more than a normal person. Usually, I never use chapstick. I'm still not seeing any real changes in my blackheads or little bumps. Surely something will happen eventually!!

So, next month when I bump up to 60 mgs I realized that I am going to bring home 6 packs of Claravis. That is like a shoebox full of medication! I decided that in order to cover Thanksgiving and Christmas I'll start taking 2 capsules, followed by 1 capsule, followed by 2 capsules, etc. You get the idea. Basically 1 pill every 18 hours. If I stay on this schedule for a week or two before bumping up to two pills every day, I won't run out of pills due to the holidays.