Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CottonCandi

Paula's Choice? -- Opinions? (Please read)

So I bought some Neutrogena On The Spot from Walgreens the other day. I wanted to try BP again. I tried Dan's regimen back in 2009 but stopped 3 days later due to it making my face red, blotchy, irritated, and painful. I thought that if I use this stuff as a SPOT treatment that maybe it wouldn't react badly......I mean it's only %2.5 BP..........WRONG!

I bought the stuff and that night used it as a spot treatment on some zits, everything was okay, no irritation. That morning I woke up and washed my face and applied more to some zits, face looked a little red in the areas I applied it but it wasn't that bad........That night (last night) I wash my face to apply some more and go to bed....BAD idea. I go to bed and 10 minutes later hop out of bed because my face feels irritated and I quickly wash all of that evil BP off my face and apply a lotion and my face looks so red and blotchy now, like I got a chemical burn, it hurts!

Is this NORMAL?! I mean.......isn't redness and irritation normal on the regimen? I'm sorry but I cannot imagine continuing to put this shit on my face in hopes of my skin getting used to it. It's too painful! I can't go out of the house now until the redness goes away. Keep in mind my skin is VERY fair.

You could say that I applied too much too soon, but keep in mind I was just using a couple dabs worth on some random zits and my face started getting red the day after I first used it.

I am so bummed because SA is too weak and BP is too strong. Nothing is working for my moderate acne and I'm losing hope.

Edited by CottonCandi

I think some people just have skin that hates BP and cannot handle it. The same thing happens to me with BP. Unless I use it very infrequently my face gets extremely red and burnt. You might want to try something with sulfur in it. I am trying out sodium sulfacetamide 10% lotion and Sulfur 5% lotion. This has antibiotics too so it's a prescription, but apparently the sulfur is used to dry out acne and is less irritating then BP. There are a lot of over the counter stuff with sulfur in it too. I cannot say yet how well it works since I just started using it, but it seems to irritate my skin a whole lot less than BP did.

Edited by dieacnedie!

I emailed customer service at Paula's Choice asking them which of their products would be good for my face and I said I can't use BP and they basically told me to get a prescription from a dermatologist because BP is the best. Nice. Feeling hopeless.

I really can't afford to go on any prescriptions right now. Not to mention /any/ acne medicine that has to be left on my face just irritates it.

Edited by CottonCandi

I tried BP and it burnt my skin. I looked like I had sunburn. I was really upset, especially because this site raves about it so much, but it burnt my skin TERRIBLY. I wasn't using too much (in fact, I was being extra careful to use it sparingly because I hate putting chemicals on my face, but I was feeling desperate).

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Alot of topical treatment irritates my face, too.

I tried BP and it burnt my skin. I looked like I had sunburn. I was really upset, especially because this site raves about it so much, but it burnt my skin TERRIBLY. I wasn't using too much (in fact, I was being extra careful to use it sparingly because I hate putting chemicals on my face, but I was feeling desperate).

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Alot of topical treatment irritates my face, too.

Yeah it looks like I have a sunburn in the areas I applied it. Some people might say this is normal and that my skin will get used to it. But I think of it as a sunburn. If you had a sunburn, would you really go outside again with no sunblock and make it worse? That's why I don't want to apply any more BP.

Paula's Choice got back to me and offered to send me some samples for free :dance: That's awesome because I'm looking on the website and they offer samples but you need to pay for them (kinda weird lol). So I hope this is a step in the right direction. The lady suggested

"Rosacea Skin-Care System - Normal to Oily", even though I don't have Rosacea, she said it's very gentle and you don't need Rosacea to use it. I wonder if this will clear acne? :think: They have an acne clearing kit but of course it has BP so I can't use it. Weird how they are a skin care company and haven't made an acne fighting kit without BP, but whatever.

Anyone want to take a gander and tell me what they think of this?

http://www.paulaschoice.com/product/rosace...in-with-rosacea

:banana:

Edited by CottonCandi

Anyoneee?

I ordered that exact product line, noticed all of the products have a handfull of unpronounceable ingredients - not a good sign. Parabens galore (apparently estrogen and breast cancer inducing).

I highly doubt she uses her own products, but I suppose I can't blame her as she probably wants to just put something out there affordable to the average consumer (although her bottle sizes are half the size of the average brand, so it's quite costly if you take that into account).

My skins a bit dehydrated and sensitive (dry and oily at the same time), so I'm a bit biased, I didn't give her products a good run.

I'm personally sick of products, and if your skin's in decent condition at this point, I'd say give the "all water" regimen a fair try (no products, let your body heal itself). You qualify for it especially if you don't suffer terrible body acne, neck acne, or completely out of whack hormones. Your neck's just as prone to breakouts, but if you found you've only been using products on your face, not your neck/under jaw, and your neck/under jaw is in great condition, then it's clearly crap you're using on your face causing issues. All water regime could take as quick as a few weeks to as long as many months (depending on skin condition), but homeless people have clear skin, hippies have clear skin, and my dirty father who bathes like once a week and never wears deodorant has clear skin and doesn't smell (your body will regulate itself, and take care of it all if you're in half decent health, or even if you aren't...I assume homeless aren't getting enough nutrients, and they're all good). It's not a quick fix, but it's a lasting one.

Women who don't use products always have the most beautiful faces.

I ordered that exact product line, noticed all of the products have a handfull of unpronounceable ingredients - not a good sign. Parabens galore (apparently estrogen and breast cancer inducing).

I highly doubt she uses her own products, but I suppose I can't blame her as she probably wants to just put something out there affordable to the average consumer (although her bottle sizes are half the size of the average brand, so it's quite costly if you take that into account).

My skins a bit dehydrated and sensitive (dry and oily at the same time), so I'm a bit biased, I didn't give her products a good run.

I'm personally sick of products, and if your skin's in decent condition at this point, I'd say give the "all water" regimen a fair try (no products, let your body heal itself). You qualify for it especially if you don't suffer terrible body acne, neck acne, or completely out of whack hormones. Your neck's just as prone to breakouts, but if you found you've only been using products on your face, not your neck/under jaw, and your neck/under jaw is in great condition, then it's clearly crap you're using on your face causing issues. All water regime could take as quick as a few weeks to as long as many months (depending on skin condition), but homeless people have clear skin, hippies have clear skin, and my dirty father who bathes like once a week and never wears deodorant has clear skin and doesn't smell (your body will regulate itself, and take care of it all if you're in half decent health, or even if you aren't...I assume homeless aren't getting enough nutrients, and they're all good). It's not a quick fix, but it's a lasting one.

Women who don't use products always have the most beautiful faces.

I don't agree with the all water regimen because I did that regimen for years before I got sick of it and decided to buy acne products to try. When I was younger with acne my parents were too poor to buy me acne products and my acne today is the same. I've also never had acne on my neck or body.

We'll see with these Paula's Choice samples. I am just glad they are sending me samples. If I see no difference, whatever. I am going to lay off products for a while. I know it doesn't make any difference but it will save me time and money.

Also I find it odd how you say that hippies and homeless people don't have acne, like you've seen every one of them in the world and decided that lol

Edited by CottonCandi