Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
outofoptions

4 years of crazy diets...still breaking out

Hello. I never post here, but I am finally caving and asking for advice. I am 25 years old and have been working on clearing my acne through diet and lifestyle for the past 4 years. I can make it slightly better by avoiding dairy and nuts, but no matter what I do my acne will not go away. I have literally tried every diet you can imagine. Super low carb like meat and fiberous veggies only, candida diet, green smoothies, fasting, low GI, vegetarian, eliminated grains/dairy/eggs/nuts/soy, the list goes on. I've tried all of them for long periods of time, but can never get rid of this damn acne. Currently my diet is pretty much meat, veggies, some fruit, some rice, oils like olive and coconut, green smoothies, and fermented foods like sauerkraut and pickles.

I live a pretty stress free life, I've ditched topicals for the past 2 years, although I started trying some again recently out of desperation. In the past I've used BP, BHAs, manual exfoliation, tea tree oil, sulfur, honey masks, aloe, not washing at all, I just don't know what else to do. I go to the gym 4 days a week, and am outside daily just being active. I figured after years of really good diet this would just sort itself out, but I haven't had luck. I wake up almost every day with a new pustule. They aren't big usually, but always come to a head and eventually pop and need the "plug" drained(sorry for the details). I feel like I've tried everything ever recommended on this site, so I don't know what I'm expecting here. Any crazy new ideas anyone?

Have you avoided high GL meals/drinks/snacks and consumed nutrient dense anti-inflammatory foods for several months straight with no improvement? (which is not a crazy diet, btw. It's how humans should eat)

You didn't mention sleep. And you might try sticking to this list of hypo-allergenic foods for about a month to see if that helps. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2400195

Thank you for your reply. I had a diet of just meat(organic grass-fed) and veggies(broccoli, cabbage, kale,collard greens, cauliflower, spinach) for over 6 months. I saw improvement, as with any good diet, but it never cleared my skin. I get 7-8 hours of sleep every night, sometimes more when I can.

I will try that list of foods. I can stick to any diet at this point. Will-power and dedication aren't a problem, they are just fading after so many attempts with no results

What kind of acne do you have? And where abouts is it?

I'm currently off fruit and it's so hard. Disheartened to read that meat and veggies didn't even clear you, I always thought that would...

What kind of acne do you have? And where abouts is it?

I'm currently off fruit and it's so hard. Disheartened to read that meat and veggies didn't even clear you, I always thought that would...

I get pustules around my mouth, chin, and cheeks. They usually just start out as small itchy dry spots and then develop into pustules. When my diet is good they aren't very big, but still continue to pop up almost daily. I have some clogged pores along my cheekbone, but could care less about that.

I think I might try dropping coconut milk and oil to see if it helps. I realized that's one of the few things I have cut out. It's just such a valuable source of calories for my scrawny ass.

Hello. I never post here, but I am finally caving and asking for advice. I am 25 years old and have been working on clearing my acne through diet and lifestyle for the past 4 years. I can make it slightly better by avoiding dairy and nuts, but no matter what I do my acne will not go away. I have literally tried every diet you can imagine. Super low carb like meat and fiberous veggies only, candida diet, green smoothies, fasting, low GI, vegetarian, eliminated grains/dairy/eggs/nuts/soy, the list goes on. I've tried all of them for long periods of time, but can never get rid of this damn acne. Currently my diet is pretty much meat, veggies, some fruit, some rice, oils like olive and coconut, green smoothies, and fermented foods like sauerkraut and pickles.

I live a pretty stress free life, I've ditched topicals for the past 2 years, although I started trying some again recently out of desperation. In the past I've used BP, BHAs, manual exfoliation, tea tree oil, sulfur, honey masks, aloe, not washing at all, I just don't know what else to do. I go to the gym 4 days a week, and am outside daily just being active. I figured after years of really good diet this would just sort itself out, but I haven't had luck. I wake up almost every day with a new pustule. They aren't big usually, but always come to a head and eventually pop and need the "plug" drained(sorry for the details). I feel like I've tried everything ever recommended on this site, so I don't know what I'm expecting here. Any crazy new ideas anyone?

Are you still eating fermented foods? I have problems when I eat fermented foods (sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir). I get dry itchy skin that turns into pustules around my jaw & mouth area as you mentioned.

It also can be what your not getting, not just what you have to cut out. Everyone needs a well rounded balanced diet, just eating meat and veggies isn't getting you everything ya need.

Probiotics will most likely help ya out a lot. Get them through making your own kefir. Don't buy store processed crap, do it yourself. Either through your coconut milk, or what I do is organic grass fed RAW goat milk. You can get kefir strains online. That should help a lot with your dry skin, make ya feel a lot better, and add some more calories into your diet.

Try adding some fruit in, ya need it. Berries are always a great option. High in anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, and low in sugar, which people should never be worrying about the amount of sugar in berries to begin with. Just try other things. Just meat and veggies isn't working for ya right? Well switch it up, add some fruit, kefir, etc, trial and error.

Thanks for the replies everyone. First off, I don't think my acne is anywhere severe enough to even consider accutane. Some stories I've heard scare the crap out of me. My acne has IMPROVED through diet, but never stops it completely. On the rare occasion I cave and eat a bunch of crap things get much worse. Skin gets oily and the pustules get deeper and bigger, and never go away. So it has changed through diet.

Also as posted in my original post: "Currently my diet is pretty much meat, veggies, some fruit, some rice, oils like olive and coconut, green smoothies, and fermented foods like sauerkraut and pickles." So I am eating fruit, pretty much just berries and apples. I just said that I went as extreme as meat and veggies and even that didn't work. I have dropped fermented foods in the past, and added them back with no noticeable difference. I've done kefir in the past as well with coconut milk, but didn't see any improvement during the couple months I kept up with it. I also drank kombucha daily for about a year straight since my gf at the time made it. Again, no difference.

Sometimes I feel like all I need is a moisturizer and I'd be fine. The problem is literally everything I have tried turned out very very badly. My skin seems to hate me putting anything on it, natural or not. The whole not washing thing didn't work either. I've just used cold water for the longest time when I shower, but my skin is still so freaking dry.

try neema , murruska cream, and vidafem will seriously help you !! :) google them since they are in spanish you willl gave to google them

Sometimes I feel like all I need is a moisturizer and I'd be fine. The problem is literally everything I have tried turned out very very badly. My skin seems to hate me putting anything on it, natural or not. The whole not washing thing didn't work either. I've just used cold water for the longest time when I shower, but my skin is still so freaking dry.

Have you tried oil cleansing?

Have you tried oil cleansing?

I never did it the right way with castor oil and all that. I tried just using coconut oil and then "steaming" it out with a wash cloth. It did not turn out well. Maybe I'll give that another try, and actually do it as suggested. Thanks!

I tried coconut oil cleansing, didn't work, made me break but I have oily skin. One I have tried during winter which is when my skin gets dried is hemp oil, did it the trick at least for me and didn't break me out. But also I'm only washing with oatmeal soap once a day and in the morning with honey. Honey has been pretty good for me.

So may be try hemp oil? it's the less risky one as moisturizer I think, but try it when your skin is still damp from the shower.

Edited by Luisa

SO after another month of eating just fruit, vegetables, and meats my skin still sucks. I guess I'll post a typical diet and see if anyone can see any reason, why after 4 years of elimination diets, and everything under the sun to improve my health, my skin is still so crappy.

-Green Smoothie- Frozen Berries, a bunch of some kind of leafy green(kale, spinach, collard, mustard etc), 2 tbsp olive oil, water.

-Pastured Chicken Thighs or drumsticks, steamed vegetables, apple

-4-5 free-range eggs, salad w/ avacado

-Grass-fed steak approx. 8 oz., steamed vegetables w/ coconut oil

Still getting pustules around chin and nose. I have eliminated every one of these foods at some point along the way and never saw a difference. I see so many people say they cut out dairy or gluten and within a month they are clear. I've been at this for years, and can not figure out what is going on. Any ideas at all?

What about fish, which you made no mention of? Are you getting your Omega-3s? What about herbs/spices? Have you tried including things like garlic and turmeric in your diet?

SO after another month of eating just fruit, vegetables, and meats my skin still sucks. I guess I'll post a typical diet and see if anyone can see any reason, why after 4 years of elimination diets, and everything under the sun to improve my health, my skin is still so crappy.

-Green Smoothie- Frozen Berries, a bunch of some kind of leafy green(kale, spinach, collard, mustard etc), 2 tbsp olive oil, water.

Still getting pustules around chin and nose. I have eliminated every one of these foods at some point along the way and never saw a difference. I see so many people say they cut out dairy or gluten and within a month they are clear. I've been at this for years, and can not figure out what is going on. Any ideas at all?

Your hearts in the right place.. Check out my thread. You are a golden candidate for success. Just follow it to the T. Wish you the best either way.

http://www.acne.org/...-you-have-acne/

Edited by moonbase

I would say drop the avocados for a while to see how it goes, I love avocados, I really do, but they increased my acne in the past, same thing with nuts. It took a while for me to see it. I'm not saying they caused my acne but they had an impact, when I was eating avocados and more coconut oil my skin got pretty bad.

Still getting pustules around chin and nose. I have eliminated every one of these foods at some point along the way and never saw a difference.

Just to clarify, you've tried eliminating all the foods in your current list? Because it's common to be intolerant to egg whites. Although I think it''s likely mostly about eggs from grain fed battery caged hens. Just like how it's rare to be intolerant to lamb, primarily because lamb is almost always pastured and not grain fed.

Do you take vitamin D? Are the eggs from hens that are really free roaming outdoors eating insects and greens or just loose in the barn? I'm just wondering about your Omega 3 intake. If all the animal products you are consuming truly are pastured animals, you should be okay without fish. But that doesn't mean a little more omega 3 wouldn't help.

Also, what are you drinking? Have you tried avoiding caffeine? It affects some people.

Do your breakouts ever fluctuate?

Have you ever had your thyroid checked? Do you feel fatigued? Do you suffer from stress, anxiety or any other mood/emotional thing? Click on the good Things link below in my signature and see if there's some health issue that might be a bigger factor in you.

You seem to be eating perfectly for blood sugar, liver health, human health in general, but maybe there's something else whether a health issue or a lifestyle habit.

also, are you sure you aren't applying a topical that could cause this?

Edited by alternativista

Thank you for replying everyone.

-I am taking a fish oil supplement from Carlson's. About 2 tsp. daily.

-I have eliminated eggs for probably years in the past. I added them back in the past few months since I never noticed a difference from avoiding them. The eggs are from a local farm that I know has them out in pasture. I see them when I go to get my eggs and meat

-I take Vitamin D in the winter, but right now I am usually outside for a few hours daily so I don't currently take any

-No topicals whatsoever. Even gentle cleansers make things worse. My skin is very dry so I try to mess with it as little as possible.

- I don't drink any caffeine whatsoever, never really have

-I sleep well. 7-8 hours a night, and I am never tired throughout the day. Weirdly though, when I eat a diet that wrecks my skin(lots of grains, vegetable oils, dairy etc) I feel great too.

-Digestive health is great, I never get bloated or gassy.

-The breakouts just keep coming. Like I said before they are less large and inflamed when my diet is absolutely perfect, but always just keep coming daily.

-I had my thyroid checked a few years ago and it was fine. I was concerned before because I have to eat so much to maintain my weight. Everything checked out fine though.

-I don't think I'm super stresses or anything. I live a rather laid back life. My job isn't stressful, and while it bugs me that my skin is bad it doesn't interfere with my life or anything. I don't dwell on it.

I will check out the links everyone provided. I've seriously been at this for so long, and read so much about human health that it boggles my mind that I still can't get this issue resolved. Is there any chance it could be something I need to do topically at this point? Someday I'll figure this out....

Edited by outofoptions

No I haven't tried the oil cleansing yet eusa_shifty.gif I guess I'm just paranoid it will make matters worse. Would you suggest still using some castor oil despite having dry skin? Maybe its time to just go for it.

It's weird how my forehead gets oil but never breaks out even though I wear hats a lot to the gym. I wish the rest of my face would be oily like that. My face actually will get oily if I eat lots of nuts or vegetable oils, but then that also causes cysts.