Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So, I am highly upset. I just visited a new dermatologist for the first time. I currently use Proactiv, and while it is keeping my skin clear of pimples, I still feel like I have clogged pores. I get these under the skin grayish bumps and when I squeeze them, white gunk comes out. The dermatologist recommended me to get microdermabrasion once a month for $125 :wacko:, told me I didn't have acne, mind you I have blackheads, and told me there's nothing much he can do for me. He prescribed me a pill to take once a day to prevent hormonal acne which seems to occur during that time of the month, and he also told me to wash my face with NeoStrata 4 PHA Facial Cleanser Gluconolactone Forumulation, and then use NeoStrata 15 PHA Bio-Hydrating Cream Gluconolactone Forumulation on my face while it's still wet and then to let it dry. I don't have an issue with the pill, but I looked up the ingredients in the facial cleanser and cream, and they both have pore clogging ingredients. I really don't want to use them on my skin if their going to clog my pores more or even worse cause pimples, because Proactiv isn't harming my skin. I don't know what to do. Should I use these products? Here are the ingredients in each, and I've bolded the ingredients that clog pores/irritate the skin.

Neostrata 4 PHA Facial Cleanser Ingredients: Water, Gluconolactone, Triethanolamine, Polyquaternium-10, Propylene Glycol, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Cocamidopropyl Detaine, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Glycine, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Panthenol, Sodium Chloride, Propylparaben, Mathylparaben, Phenoxyethanol.

Neostrata 15 PHA Bio-Hydrating Cream Ingredients: Water, Gluconolactone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Propylene Gylcol, Isododecane, PEG-40 Stearate, Sorbitan Stearate, Isocetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Diisostearate, Cyclomethicone, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, TEA, Ethoxydiglycol, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Arginine, Disodium EDTA, Myristic Acid, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Xanthan Gum, Methylparaben, Chlorphenesin, Propylparaben.

I even called back after and talked to the nurse about how I was skeptical in regards to using these products and she said they won't clog pores, even after I told her they contain pore clogging ingredients. She insisted that it hasn't made any other patients skin worse, and the dermatologist wouldn't give it to me if it was going to make my skin worse, or clog my pores. But my question is then, WHY ARE THERE PORE CLOGGING INGREDIENTS IN THEM?! :wall: Both of these products cost me a total of $70 and I can't get my money back once their opened. Should I try them out or not? I'm really scared because of the pore clogging ingredients, I don't need pimples on my skin along with more clogged pores. HELP PLEASE!

Edited by lauren marie ♕

This is purely just my opinion, with no medical knowledge on my part, but I've used products with those kind of ingredients in the past on they've only really served to create more problems. My take on it was that things like the alcohols and the acids were stripping my skin of natural oils and moisture. Then it was having to work harder to repair being so dried out and then producing too much oil as a result, which is not what you want to happen with clogged pores and all.

Can see why you'd be conflicted because although the dermatologist has the knowledge, you know your own skin. I've no knowledge at all about microdermabrasion so can't comment on that. If it were me, I might be tempted to see how things play out on your current regimen, unless you're really not happy with your skin. I'd just end up thinking that even if the current regimen isn't resulting in perfect skin, at least it's bringing things under control and isn't making things worse.

Try not to worry about. And I'm sure plenty of other people will see this and be able to offer advice and their experiences of those products.

:)