Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
adalyn

Frustrated with finding solutions!

I'm so SICK and TIRED of RESEARCHING INGREDIENTS AND PRODUCTS AND COMBINATIONS of stuff that may or may not work to get rid of acne! I just want an EFFING skincare regimen that will work for my skin!

It's a vicious cycle. I think most of us who have struggled with acne know that deep sinking feeling that comes with standing in a drugstore aisle in the skincare section, trying to make a decision on the next best product to buy to attempt to treat your acne, hoping, just HOPING, that after so many times of looking at product reviews online, and talking to your dermatologist, and talking to your friends, that this next product will work. And once you make a decision, you feel that guilt drop down to your stomach as you clutch the product and make your way to the counter, knowing that you've spent so much money buying things that don't work but hoping that this thing you're holding will be the answer. But when it doesn't work, you know you'll be back, to look for another product and guiltily drop another few bucks on a product that you hope that works. Eventually, the prices add up, but you come back.

But after you've bought and gone through all the products in the drugstore, you hit the high end area. You watch yourself buying all these acne products in department stores, special pharmacies, Sephora, Dermstore. Hundreds of dollars leave your debit card account, but you believe it's worth it - worth hoping and trying that next product that will hopefully be the answer to your acne problem. You try things for a a day, a week, two weeks, a month. It stings, burns, makes you breakout, makes you oily, makes you dry, makes your skin peel, makes your skin red. And you come back and drop another fifty dollars or so on the next.

You go to the dermatologist looking for some answers. The stuff he gives helps a little. Eventually you're taking antibiotics and Differin. But it doesn't work and he offers you a last resort: Accutane. You go to another dermatologist, and she recommends you antibiotics and Retin-A. You do great after three months, but later on, you find your skin dry and peeling, red, and scaling. With a full on breakout. You give up on the dermatologists and now you're on your own. Researching. Asking yourself if the next products you buy are worth it. Whether it's worth investing in a skincare system that will cost me $100. Or to buy just an acne treatment worth $60. You buy them, but they don't work. There goes another few hundred.

And as you watch your money disappear, you watch your skincare collection grow with bottles and tubes and tubs of moisturizers, cleansers, toners, treatments, serums, essences, and oils, all each barely used to halfway used. You want to throw them away, but you can't. That $50 Glycolic Acid cream was barely used, and you can't bear to get rid of something you invested in, even though it burned your skin like crazy. You can't bear to chuck that $30 toner you got, even though it made you a slimeball, because there's still a good 4 out of 6 ounces left.

And then you start researching, looking into ingredients, clinical studies, papers, combination therapies, carefully built skincare regimens and components, and try to see a pattern of how companies create their acne skincare kits, try to weed out the key ingredients, how they're combining the treatments, and how they use it. At the end, you start looking for products based on a theory you create, but for every product you look at online you read the ingredient list and start to doubt whether you should buy them at all, whether its even worth trying because of this ingredient or that. Or whether it works at all, after having bought and tried so many products before.

You eventually get into a self defeating cycle, because you start eliminating possibilities based on previous experiences. Oh, this product looks good. But I'm sensitive to benzoyl peroxide. Oh, this product looks good too. But it's got an irritant and I have sensitive skin. But what about this product? The reviews don't look so good, and it made a lot of people dry up. And this? Well, I can't use it because it's not frickin' oil free.

And now you're just caught in between giving up or trying to research and spend more money to buy products you pray will work. And in the middle of either giving up or trying harder to research products, you just want to scream.

I'm so fricking tired of my acne, but I'm also frickin' tired of seeing my money and products go to waste. I hate this cycle of finding products, hoping that it will work, buying it, trying it, and then watching it collect dust because it didn't work. I am SO frustrated with going through this. I just WISH there was ONE simple solution to fixing my skin.

I'm so frickin' tired of trying diets - detox diets, lemonade diets, apple diets, alkalinic food diets, taking supplements, drinking tea, exercising, massaging, taking pills, getting shots using different products, massaging...

I'm just so tired of it all.

I know it sounds cheesy..but Thomas Edison said something along the lines of it is only through failing that we can succeed. I know it sucks. I hated getting excited about a new product only to discover it was a waste of money. I think the best solution is to attack it from all sides. Internally and externally. You don't need to hear this..but I truly believe there IS a solution out there for all of us.

Accutane.

What about horrible side effects???? Who's responsable for them?

She and her doctor are responsible for them. Life has its risks and rewards. You can manage your risk by taking smaller dosages, which will minimize your chance of "horrible" side effects. You make your own decision and take full resposibility by weighing the pros and cons. A life of acne or a "possibility" of a side effect? its your choice.

She asked for ONE simple solution. There is only one answer and chances are it will work. As I've said before, its a strong drug, but if you respect it, it will perform miracles for you with a high chance of minimal side effects.

Edited by Roller

@arabella hope: yeah, i'm still trying... i might jump into using La Roche Posay's Effaclar line of skincare products. I found out recently that my sensitivity to benzoyl peroxide has lowered, so i might consider DKR as well now. I'm going to go try an alkalinic diet too, since I'm also trying to lose weight.

@Roller and amy91: Yeah, I was given the option to go through accutane - I was given a booklet on government regulations and requirements like birth control. I turned it down since I had health problems with taking minocycline, so being presented with a harsher drug, as well as having to take birth control and get monthly testing, freaked me out a little bit. You're right, Roller, it is one solution.

But it's not a valid solution for me - I've got a list of reasons why I can't take it, some of the biggest reasons being that my family doesn't want me to for the sake of my health, and because of the cost.

Paula begoun reviews a whole bunch of products on her website I'm pretty sure I can post links here so if you're interested, try googling beautypedia. She reviews a bunch of acne products and makeup and stuff and mentions if they have alcohol or irritants, or things that wouldn't be good for acne prone skin. Some things really are overpriced and contain needless irritants.

From all my researching, some acne books have recommended starting with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide leave on overnight product and a salicyclic acid cleanser which gets left on for a few minutes. Salicyclic acid has to be at the right ph though. Neutrogena and paula's choice have salicyclic acid products which are. If that's not enough, then the books start suggesting a short term course of oral antibiotics with prescription topicals (retinoids or a retinoid/topical antibiotic combo). Other suggestions are birth control, spironolactone and accutane. It gets into diet and supplements a little bit. Honestly, I'm really beginning to think acne requires a multi-faceted approach. I figure why not try a healthy low glycemic dairy free diet with topicals and oral supplements or oral prescription medications if needed. Moisturizer helps me some with the effects of the benzoyl peroxide, but I know it can be frustrating to balance the dryness and redness from topicals along with using enough of the topical often enough to make a difference in the acne. Right now, I'm using purpose oil free moisturizer.

Edited by melissa6980

I have felt like this. It is such a frustrating thing. :( Having to worry about what you're putting on you're skin, having to worry about how you're going to wash it off, what makeup is going to break you out, not wanting your hair to touch your face...

Accutane is not an option for everybody. A lot of people with mild (but JUST as frustrating) acne won't even be prescribed Accutane. My acne is not severe but it still guts me like a fish when I break out.

I cleared myself up with vitamin B5 but still do the worrying when it comes to the ingredients in EVERYTHING, including my food, just in case my current clear spell ends.

I hate the feeling of standing in a pharmacy, looking at the acne products, and having somebody come over and offer to help you. :doubt: Yes because I have not tried everything here already... I know they're trying to be helpful but they are not helpful at all.

Big hugs to you, OP. :wub: Sounds like you need a break!

I used to tell myself it will be over once I reach 18. Once I reach 22. I am 25 and I still get a couple of pimples what the fuck acne.

I used to tell myself it will be over once I reach 18. Once I reach 22. I am 25 and I still get a couple of pimples what the fuck acne.

I'm almost 23 and it gets worse than it ever was when I was younger. :doubt: Everyone thinks I'm 14.

It's amazing how so many of us go through the exact same thought processes as we try to cope with this, figure it out, and hopefully fix it. For a lot of that time, we probably do so thinking we're on our own and nobody understands. which is pretty sad to think about.

I reckon the main source of frustration is probably the age-old statement, "You'll grow out of it". Even my own doctor still hints at that one and I'm 26 next week. I swear he thinks I'm still 14. Between that, and going from product to product, year after year, just hoping... it's enough to make anyone throw in the towel.

In some respects, giving up the chase and giving up constantly hoping like that might be a good thing. If nothing else, we could just relax and instead focus on acceptance. Not accepting that we can't fix it, because it doesn't have to be there forever, but accepting that it is just a very small part of who we are physically. It only becomes a much bigger thing and has more influence over us if we allow it to do so.

I've seen a number of posts recently from people who have ended up feeling like Accutane is the only option left. I include myself in that, too. Of course, some research it to find they can't or don't want to take it, but regardless, the number of people who reach that point seems to be getting higher and higher. It's kind of interesting to me that, where medication is concerned, a lot of the roads seem to lead to Accutane. I think it's bad that things get dragged out.. My doctor has had me trying all sorts of antibiotics over the years, just so he could cross them off the list. All it's done is made the acne stronger and I honestly do think it's built up a resistance, creating another problem which could have been avoided a long while ago. All that, just for my doctor to say he didn't think my skin was bad enough for Accutane anyway. Fact is, where Accutane is concerned, severity isn't a deal breaker. If the acne has remained into adulthood, isn't responding to other medications and is having a negative impact on the persons life, that is justification enough.

adalyn, I hope you find peace and a solution.

Edited by PaulH85

I feel your pain honey, it used to happen to me before. I really like the way you are towards your acne, what do i mean by this? is that you don´t give up, you still search for good answers to cure your acne, even though now you are getting tired, frustrated, wasting money. I used to be in your same shoes and believe me back in the days i didn´t have a job, so i was wasting my parents money. But they somehow helped me so much, having the support of your family and friends is just enough and it helps you alot. Do you have help from your parents? or your friends? so you won´t feel so lonely this might not be the cure of your acne...but it will help you to fight along the way with acne while you also have someone who truly loves you for who you are, not for what you have.

Anyways, it´s so hard for us here to really help you...what i mean by this is that...i read everything you wrote and...i could said you tried everything. What about taking accutane? did you ever think about taking accutane? Or you are worry because of the side effects? whatever the reason might be that you don´t want to take accutane cause you are afraid...then...you should go ahead and take it. It might help you alot and it might relieve you from this terrible disease that´s called ACNE. Since you mentioned that you tried everything that could be in a store for acne, then give it a try to take accutane. If you are too scare to take it, which i totally understand you since it has some hard side effects, then i guess you either keep finding a solution, (which that adds wasting more money) or you let the time get rid of your acne. Like it happened to some people who had acne when they were young and after that, they grow out of it. Which is hard sometimes for that to happened since we are very impatient. I don´t know what else to tell you but to give it a try to take accutane, if you feel ready and if you feel like there´s nothing out there to help cure your acne but accutane.

I wish you the best of luck of this world, don´t feel alone cause you are not the only who is struggling with acne and wasting more and more money on products that sometimes it just don´t work at all and more money in the trash.

Edited by Nair Houston

I just want to say that this post really resonated with me. I often feel like I have exhausted every option, including the expensive products, and I definitely feel the guilt whenever I spend more on yet another failed attempt to reduce my acne. I'm so sick of it all.

I started crying when I read your post - It could had been me or it IS me.

Trying every potential product and when it does not work I try something else. I have used a lot of time reading, spend a lot of money and now I am on this site and I had to read in another language (I am from Denmark), because the lack of information here. I have changed my diet and it had made a different, but a still have a lotof red spots, so now I might be trying Nlite.

Have a nice weekend :Siava: