Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chloeb21

PLEASE HELP! should I be on accutane? (pictures)

i've just started accutane (on my 4th day) and i've browsed through these forums for quite some time prior to beginning ..

and not once did i see someone mention the PRICE of the drug?!

maybe it is different for everyone, and obviously it is different for those who live in, say, Canada .. but $500 a month????

and a grand total of about $3000 all for clear skin?

if this doesn't work i'll be livid.

i just feel bad that my mom has to pay all this money

plus two of my brothers have taken accutane. and one is on his second round. :/

oh, and i have a question. my doctor told me that i'd be on 60 mg a day, but the prescription slip that he gave me said 40 mg twice a day.

i didn't notice this until i actually got Claravis, but correct me if i'm wrong, wouldn't that mean i'm taking 80 mg a day???

seems like a LOT! although, i haven't noticed ANY side effects. no dryness, no nothing .. knock on wood. my skin looks pretty good though. i did get like two pimples right on the first day but i think those were developing before i started.. so may not be directly correlated w/ accutane. i'm thinking i'm not seeing side effects early on because my acne isn't very bad. in fact, those are the only two pimples i have .. other than on my forehead, but those are more beneath the surface. i'm mainly on accutane to get rid of my scars!! i've got so many. luckily, they're pretty well hidden under makeup, but still .. i want to get rid of them! somebody please reassure me that accutane gets rid of scars well?

anyway, should i call my doctor and ask about the dosage??

EDIT : go down to the fourth post (i think) i've posted pictures!!

Edited by chloeb21

It depends on what insurance you have. My cousins have PPO, which means you get to choose what doctors you have, but you pay more. I have Blue Shield HMO, which means I don't get to choose doctors, but everything is cheaper. I was worried about price too, but found I only have to pay $5 a month each time I refill. Ask your mom how much she's been paying or go with her to get next months round.

Accutane does nothing for scars except make your skin more likely to scar if you get a breakout while on the course because of the sensitivity.

Edited by Callum.

Accutane does nothing for scars except make your skin more likely to scar if you get a breakout while on the course because of the sensitivity.

wait, really? my dermatologist recommended accutane because of my scars. and from what i've gathered from various logs, it does wonders for scars..

but maybe i misinterpreted some of the info. it doesn't even help to fade acne scars? granted, mine aren't SO severe, but they are noticeable.

i guess it could be different for everyone.

could others please shed some light on this for me??? thanks

I'm no expert, but I haven't heard of anyone using accutane or any other pills to get rid of scars. Scars are on the surface of your skin, so you would need some type of laser surgery or chemical peels to get rid of scars. Whatever happened to giving accutane as a last resort only to people with severe cystic acne?

I'm no expert, but I haven't heard of anyone using accutane or any other pills to get rid of scars. Scars are on the surface of your skin, so you would need some type of laser surgery or chemical peels to get rid of scars. Whatever happened to giving accutane as a last resort only to people with severe cystic acne?

well, I'm not sure it was only because of my scars.

can't believe I'm actually doing this but here are some pictures. someone please tell me if i should even BE on accutane?? really the only thing I'm looking to do is get rid of my scars and my derm lead me to believe that's what accutane DID! ugh.... what have I gotten myself into.

I'll probably delete these soon.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2wqv4ev.jpg - those 2 gross pimples popped up RIGHT as i began accutane (4 days ago..)

http://i55.tinypic.com/qxmfwi.jpg - bad scarring :/

http://i56.tinypic.com/1zv7i4l.jpg

WHAT DO I DO

Edited by chloeb21

You have red marks, not scars. Accutane exfoliates the skin so you may experience improvement in the red marks. Your acne is extremely mild. Do you know about the initial outbreak that can happen? Read the entire prescription infor that came with your prescription. And do search for information here about the 'initial breakout.'

So you're at 80mg a day????? You're acne (well, it's not even acne, just marks that will fade with time) isnt bad! If you're taking Accutane, I would've thought it would have been a lower dosage. I think you should talk to your derm.

yeah, i have no idea why i'm at 80 mg!!! i think it might be because when I went in to my doctor for the prescription my acne was worse at the time. idk. he's not a derm; just a regular doctor. he doesn't specialize in accutane, in fact he barely knows anything about it..

not that i'm skeptical of him prescribing it to me.. it's just the dosage i'm confused about. i'm handling it well though .. no blemishes right now (6th day) and no dryness. the redness is also fading.

maybe it'll be smooth sailing.. ah, fingers crossed.

so glad to know that i don't actually have acne scars, per se. i can deal with redness. i've actually learned that i have hyperpigmentation. and i think that's because i've been to the beach/out in the sun A LOT this summer and haven't put any sunscreen on my face. bad idea.

Have you considered the side-effects of accutane? Maybe you should talk to a derm that has knowledge of a serious drug like accutane before you take it for reasons neither of you are sure about. I wouldn't want to trade a few pimples in for a hair loss problem or worse. Just sayin; my sister took it years ago, but I wouldn't go near the drug.

You have mild acne, nowhere near bad enough for accutane. I had severe cystic acne up and down both sides of my face and I was still hesitant to take it.

You have mild acne, nowhere near bad enough for accutane. I had severe cystic acne up and down both sides of my face and I was still hesitant to take it.

the thing is, my two brothers took accutane and it went marvelously for the both of them. neither experienced bad side effects aside from the normal dry lips/skin.

and although my acne is mild now, it has a long, ugly history. it has only recently cleared up because i was on Bactrim for a few months; however, my skin remained very oily and would break out occasionally. i also have redness/few scars as you can see.

now, i'm a week into accutane on 80 mg a day for my 'mild' acne and haven't noticed anything. i've read about the initial breakout, but it's looking good so far. i don't even have dry lips (knock on wood)

my skin is now completely clear and who knows, maybe it will go uphill from here. i was nervous before taking it, but now i see that it's really not that bad. i know i may be speaking too soon, but i think if it went well for my brothers, i may a good chance.

i'm not sure if calling my doctor about the dosage will do anything. we already paid the $500 for the first prescription; would they give me a lower dosage for free? i've already taken a week's worth of pills..

Edited by chloeb21

the thing is, my two brothers took accutane and it went marvelously for the both of them. neither experienced bad side effects aside from the normal dry lips/skin.

and although my acne is mild now, it has a long, ugly history. it has only recently cleared up because i was on Bactrim for a few months; however, my skin remained very oily and would break out occasionally. i also have redness/few scars as you can see.

now, i'm a week into accutane on 80 mg a day for my 'mild' acne and haven't noticed anything. i've read about the initial breakout, but it's looking good so far. i don't even have dry lips (knock on wood)

my skin is now completely clear and who knows, maybe it will go uphill from here. i was nervous before taking it, but now i see that it's really not that bad. i know i may be speaking too soon, but i think if it went well for my brothers, i may a good chance.

i'm not sure if calling my doctor about the dosage will do anything. we already paid the $500 for the first prescription; would they give me a lower dosage for free? i've already taken a week's worth of pills..

^ well if you're going to take it even though you're skin is clear, why wouldn't you at least cut back to one pill daily instead of two so that you're only taking 40mg a day. derms who prescribe accutane start out with low dosage and up it to 60-80mg after several months if the first set doesn't improve your condition. your doctor seems very careless to me.

p.s. you probably haven't noticed anything a week into accutane because you barely have any acne to begin with. sorry if i sound harsh, it's just i know how many people suffer from accutane side effects many years after they are done using it, and i wouldn't want someone to unknowingly risk their health for little gain. i hope your course goes as smoothly as it sounds like it did for your brothers.

Edited by Bourne

Stay on it, Don't worry. Your skin looks great and the scars will subside. I weigh only 140lbs and have been on accutane for 6 months at 80mg daily (claravis) and aside from extreme dryness all over my body I am not experiencing any of the side effects everyone raves about, but that's just me. Too many people over analyze things and as a result either scare the crap out of you or end up arguing with one another on these boards. It's September 2nd and I'm sure you notice some subtle changes by now. Good Luck.