Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will cutting out milk affect my growth?

I'm 17 and have recently cut out dairy which seems to have helped my acne out a bit. However, I hear that milk is quite important for growth and taking Calcium tablets alone won't be as beneficial. Any advice or knowledge on the subject would be welcome. Thanks

I'm 17 and have recently cut out dairy which seems to have helped my acne out a bit. However, I hear that milk is quite important for growth and taking Calcium tablets alone won't be as beneficial. Any advice or knowledge on the subject would be welcome. Thanks

google "non-dairy calcium sources". you'll find a ton of info.

Can i still eat cheese right? cutting out milk is the hardest thing,i could cut out meat more easily :S

Well, since my brother is allergic to dairy, we've grown up without milk, and he's very tall! Try to eat yogurt...it's a good form of dairy that won't give you acne :) As a matter of fact, the probiotics actually help acne.

We drink coconut milk now. It's very good for you because it's still nutritious.

Height is more genetic than most things actually.

I'm 6"2, cutting dairy out of my diet was very easy because I was never that big on dairy anyway. I never ate much dairy, mostly just the cheese on my pizza/spaghetti and that's about it.

No you don't need dairy or calcium supplements. You really do not need that much calcium. You need the other nutrients needed to make bones that people tend to be deficient in like magnesium and vitamin D. And you need to not do things that harm your bones, such as drink sodas.

There's plenty of calcium in plant foods like broccoli, spinach, almonds, etc. And you can eat sardines or other fish with bones, or even munch on shells from boiled eggs once in a while if you really think you need more.

And whether you need to completely avoid all dairy or not is individual. But it really should not be a big part of anyone's diet. Milk is most likely to be the most harmful, especially cow and especially from grain fed cows. Fermented products like cheese and yogurt are less problematic. And if you insist that you must have calcium from dairy, then yogurt is a better source so you can have less.

And dairy from goats or other animals besides cows is less likely to be problematic, although that is partly because those other animals are almost always pastured.

shouldn't affect your height that much. Cutting out dairy was hell for me, cause I used to eat tonsss of cheese.

If you look at the statistics of the countries that drink the most milk compared to the countries that drink the least. The countries that drink the most milk have the highest rate of osteoperosis (when your bones are so weak you become hunched over). Milk is actually the WORST thing for your bones, the only reason you think "milk builds strong bones" is because the media brainwashes you to think that so you can end up in the hospital so much faster..Milk is terrible for your bones, and all doctors beleive milk builds strong bones because thats what they learned in school, and the only logical reason as to why they believe it and dont go against it is because your bones are made up of calcium and they think since your bones are made of calcium, you should eat things with calcium..but in actuality the calcium eats up your bones making them brittle. And they tell older people to take "calcium suppliments" thats even WORSE! It's crazy, just thought I'd share this..theres tons of information elsewhere online that you should look into about common misconceptions people believe is true when in actuality it's the complete opposite.

MILK=BAD

They should say "Milk helps build weak bones! More money for the hospitals $$"

Milk, as it's found in nature isn't bad for bones, it's what they REMOVE from the milk that makes it detrimental to bones and useless as a source of calcium.

If you're drinking pasteurized milk, you're not getting much of anything anyway. Pasteurization kills pretty much everything that is good in milk, all the vitamins, proteins, enzymes and bacteria. It's even worse if you're drinking skim or % milk.

If you can find it, raw milk from pastured (meaning grazing, grass-fed cows or goats/sheep) animals is delicious and actually has nutrition. If I couldn't have raw milk, I'd drink no milk at all. Like others have said, you will get plenty from veggies and vitamin d from the sun.

Also, I don't know for a fact since I am not the slightest bit concerned about obtaining calcium, but I believe it's best to get your calcium from plants and animal bones and shell, not from supplements made from rocks.