Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whatastrangelife

how do you react or respond when someone you know like a friend or a family member makes a comment about your acne

i honestly don't know how to respond back ... i just like kind of smile at them ... awkward...

especially those friends or family members that i haven't seen for a while ....

whats worst is how they are used to seeing me having a flawless skin and now they see all pimpled up.... awkward....

thoughts?

I remain speechless also. Then force a smile. As soon as they turn away it goes right to a frown. I just feel the need to crawl in a hole and cry. Hahaa. :\

It depends on the person, really.

I say things to my mom and dad about it.

My little brothers say things to me all the time. I've set them straight, though, so they usually don't anymore.

My grandma makes comments to me, but I don't even say anything to her anymore because she doesn't listen.

Sadly, this has happened to me more than a few times. I am such a patient person, but it only takes someone to make a negative comment on my skin to set me off. My auntie said "dont you wash your face" and I responded with "why dont you leave me alone" in a very rude manner, i'm not normally like this, but it's really sad how insensitive people can be, but I could give two shits about whether they're family or not, if they wish to remain ignorant, I wont be the one to educate them.

It kind of depends what the context is. I've had friends do it in a messing around kind way who have then given me the oppurunity to make fun of them back (you know how guys can be with playfully taking the piss out of each other). That i don't mind because it's just a bit of harmless fun and i know they don't mean anything by it.

I've also had so called friends, guys and girls, who i thought were cool with my acne and looked past it, but then they would make comments to other people about my acne . . .in front of me . . . .trying to do it without me hearing. When i scratch beneath the surface of those poeple though, they have isses far behind skin problems that they can never get rid of.

I just try to rise above it. I can get rid of my acne (hopefully one day) but they will always be ignorant.

to a family member: no one's perfect! there's not much else i can do. cheers though

to a stranger (this is actually what I said to a bloke last year, i don't usually get arced up but I wasn't having a good night) mate, no one's laughing, if you have a problem with my appearance, then that's your problem, don't make it mine. i'm just out having a beer and here to relax.

this blokes mate that was with him handed me a beer and said "what a F...cking legend". that guy is now one of my best mates, haha. people say things, they are cruel, idiotic and downright bloody rude, most of the time on purpose too. you have to allow a certain amound of stupidity to come from most people. i'm lucky i have a beautiful family who helped me through the tough times, a couple good mates.

i have acne scarring but i guess no one can pull me out of it, i've just gotta live me own life and not worry about what people are going to say. if someone does say anything though, i'll just let them know that they are a shallow knob. and while they're not looking i will jump up on the table and turkey slap em.

Edited by rockinsoul

the first person i knew well that made a remark was one of my best friends' girlfriend, she said 'ouch, i dont know if u wanna go to any pool party with your face and back looking like THAT,' and she said this while we were camping at a lake! i was embarrassed and didnt go swimming at all that whole trip, and eventually my friend broke up with her anyway but it still stings when i think about it

Edited by colostomus

I just try to rise above it. I can get rid of my acne (hopefully one day) but they will always be ignorant.

Right on.

I had someone at work make a comment about the food I was eating was causing "pimples". I replied with something along the lines of "never ending battle" and continued on with my work.

I think sometimes people are just trying to help, but do not realize how hurtful some of their comments can be.

it´s been a long time since no one said anything about my acne...maybe because they know that i´m very aggressive and i know there´s no need to be rude back to someone especially if they are the ignorant ones but i just can´t help it, i even went to anger management classes but nothing changed, maybe because i don´t want to change who i´am. anyways, back to the story if someone ever said anything to my acne i would punch them in their face, simple as that. i know with violence we don´t solve anything but...i don´t go out and tell people how ugly they look or how nasty their pimples are. i don´t do that! so no one should be doing that to me...but again no one really ever said anything about my acne the thing is that i wear a little bit of makeup and my pimples are not really pimples anymore, just some old red marks from the previous pimples i had.

but one time i was in my aunt´s house and we were having a party and i have a best awesome friend who i love very much and she has extremely severe acne. i know alot of you know how awful it is to have the worse acne. and she was enjoying the party so much, that she was very social to other girls and guys, which was a little bit strange to me since because of her acne she didn´t hang out with anyone except me. anyways, this girl comes to us and she says to my friend in front of everyone saying ´´you have alot of pimples in your face, do you wash your face everyday? your skin is fucked up´´. oh my lord!!!!!!! when she said that to my friend my cheeks turn red not because i was embarrassed but because i got to so angry at her, my body start it to shake, i felt heat in my body and she said it in a such a bad, angry, manner that...i just punched her in the face so hard that i made her nose bleed. my friend just was shocked of what i did, but then she start it crying because of what this bitch said to her. this girl every time she sees me...she goes away cause she is scare of me.

then i look at everyone and said ´´no one should be laughing at my friend or making nasty comments because of her acne nobody here is perfect, next time someone says anything bad to her i would not punch anyone of you, but i will stabbed someone with my knife.´´ jaja everybody was :shock::eh:

violence like i said before, is not something that we should do to solve a problem...but it pisses me off when someone has to say a stupid, nasty comment towards someone with acne. and i will not tolerate that!!

lol some little girl I didn't know once told me "you have pimples ALL OVER YOUR FACE" and I was just like "awww aren't you an observant little shit" right in front of her parents.

Other than that incident though, my acne hasn't been real bad in a very long time luckily so no1 comments on it ever. If it's family, that's fine cause they're the blame for my skin being the way it is, so they better show some sympathy shiettttt.

Edited by NeverPaysAttention

hey

i feel lucky not to have met really mean people who would pick on me because of this... i haven't been said anything mean into my face. but my family sometimes comments on it, i argue with my father because he thinks he knows everything.

recently my little bro / 6 years old told / me this:

'Mom (not my mother) told me that people get pimples when they are lazy and lie in bed too much.' like...what? i felt offended because she knows how much problems i've had with it... we're not the best buddies with my father's woman but maybe she didn't say it on purpose.

and then we were playing and he got too close to me and he yelled out 'hey you have so many pimples!' and i was like yeahyeahyeah i can't help it kiddo...

when small children make comments then they just can't help it either, but i guess they start getting mean when they go to school.

Before Accutane, my 7 year old cousin said in front of everyone: "You have chickenpox!" Because I was sensitive about it (till then I was telling myself no one knew i had acne?!) so I was rude and told him:"I wish you get them in a couple of years." His parents looked mad, but I didn't care and I still don't. :snooty: I just wish I reacted diffrently because It made me look like I had extremely low self-esteem. Which I had, but I prefer not showing it.

No one ever talks about my skin. Probably because its severe enough where people understand thats its a sensitive topic lol.

My mom will comment when she sees improvement, but I don't mind when she comments because my mother is kind, and she's help pay for a lot of treatments. She battled really bad acne too, so she looks out for me and helps me find good treatments. Plus, I'll ask her to honestly assess my face after I apply makeup so she can let me know if any scars or zits are really noticeable. It helps having an gentle and honest person there to let you know what other people see!

My friends never have commented on my face, or anyone else for that matter that wasn't a dermotologist. Although I've heard some of my more shallow friends talk about how someone was ugly, and be like "oh, well he had glasses, a little overweight, acne/pimples", and I'll step in and be like "Well, I have acne." just because I hate hearing anyone pass judgements about it.

I try to ignore it and change a subject.

But I never forget. And, if the comment wasn't really necessary and out of the goodness of that person's heart, it takes me a lot of time to forgive it completly.

Edited by akinator

I'd say something back. And definetly something mean about their physical appearance, so they will feel like a sh%# and will leave me alone. I'd make them focus on their own imperfections, since no one is perfect.

Edited by amy91

While I have not had anyone say anything my husband on the other hand has said somethings. Like we were talking about some food that I know will break me out for sure and he said, " so, you get a couple of zits, big deal". Really made me upset because he doesn't understand, he has never had a pimple in his life and neither did his family. It bothers me because I am in my 50's and really wish this crap would die out. But it just doesn't. My daughter has had problems and at times her skin has been terrible, but her sister and I just encourage her and listen when she rants about it. Elf

I hate it when people comment on my skin - even if it's in a nice way! I just hate all and any attention that is brought to my face and it makes me feel awkward. My friends mum was all like, "Jess your skin is looking loads better!" and I just wanted to hide. I know it sounds silly but it always makes me think, "was it really bad before then..." and I become all paranoid that I can't enjoy the compliment! I tend to brush any comments of about my skin and just smile and nod. It may make me feel like dying inside but it's just easier than making too much of a deal about it. ;p

Ugh..that's the worst. I'm all too familiar with that. My friends never comment about my acne and they understand that it will eventually make me feel insecure and depressed but my family does that to me all the time and it's come to the point where i cry to myself because they all have clear skin and don't understand but worst of all they are sadly inconsiderate. Usually when they say ignorant comments about my face i usually give them a rude comeback..it's not like i want to but that's a way i defend myself. For example my cousin once said "You got a huge pimple on your face". The sad fact of it all is that she's a thirty year old woman. She's extremely annoying and always points out the negative aspects of a person's personality or look. I personally hate her but hey..that's just life.

Ugh..that's the worst. I'm all too familiar with that. My friends never comment about my acne and they understand that it will eventually make me feel insecure and depressed but my family does that to me all the time and it's come to the point where i cry to myself because they all have clear skin and don't understand but worst of all they are sadly inconsiderate. Usually when they say ignorant comments about my face i usually give them a rude comeback..it's not like i want to but that's a way i defend myself. For example my cousin once said "You got a huge pimple on your face". The sad fact of it all is that she's a thirty year old woman. She's extremely annoying and always points out the negative aspects of a person's personality or look. I personally hate her but hey..that's just life.

wow thats harsh :( have you talked to them about it? or if you dont want to say it directly you can sort of jokingly act offended and maybe theyll take the hint

Apparently I need to start getting more harsh when my little sister says things to me.

Like today, we were eating ice cream cake and she said, "Amanda has pimples (I hate that word). Maybe she needs to ACTUALLY do something about it."

My mom yelled at her and told her to quit saying those things to my face. I was like okay, she apparently says them when I'm not around all the time?

I wanted to tell my little sister though, oh, I can't wait until your my age and have skin issues. Maybe YOU'LL actually be like me and have bad skin. (My older sister and younger brother have good skin). And then I'll rub it in her face, and tell her maybe she needs to actually do something about her acne. I didn't tell her that though. I have more discretion, and keep things to myself unlike her.

She doesn't know how hard I try. She just goes by what she sees.

Edited by Vampireninja09

lol some little girl I didn't know once told me "you have pimples ALL OVER YOUR FACE" and I was just like "awww aren't you an observant little shit" right in front of her parents.

LOL what'd her parent's say after you called their child a little shit?

Wow! Im lucky enough i cant remember anyone ever saying anything to me about my face.. I'm already so self conscious about it rightnow I'd probably Flip shit on them lol the only thing that ever bothered me.. I went to the dr one time and he prescribed me anti biotics for my acne without me even bringing it up :( I guess it's better at least for someone bringing it up to help than bringing it up to be an ass hole..