Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I must admit I was kinda surprised to read how difficult it was for some people on this forum to get Accutane.

I simply walked into my doctor's office this past Saturday and he prescribed the thing for me.

He didn't even bother with informing me about the side effects.

He has recommended that I take one in the evening for four consecutive days and then stop for the remaining 3.

Have you guys ever heard of this regimen?

My jaw dropped to the floor when my pharmacist then told me about the side effects.

As I'm completing an internship at a big corporation, I decided I would wait till I'm done there and only then start taking the drug.

Problem is,I broke out yesterday and walked into the office with this unsightly pimple on my chin.

Kinda made a lot of people uncomfortable,especially this one actuary that I REALLY,REALLY,REALLY like.

So I came home tonight and popped a pill and now I'm regretting it.

I've just found out that you should avoid Vitamin A when taking Accutane and I just took a multivitamin this morning.

Since I've only taken one pill,can I just stop cold turkey and then start again when my internship is over?

I'm just very cross with my doctor.

I must admit I was kinda surprised to read how difficult it was for some people on this forum to get Accutane.

I simply walked into my doctor's office this past Saturday and he prescribed the thing for me.

He has recommended that I take one in the evening for four consecutive days and then stop for the remaining 3.

My jaw dropped to the floor when my pharmacist then told me about the side effects.

As I'm completing an internship at a big corporation, I decided I would wait till I'm done there and only then start taking the drug.

Problem is,I broke out yesterday and walked into the office with this unsightly pimple on my chin.

Kinda made a lot of people uncomfortable,especially this one actuary that I REALLY,REALLY,REALLY like.

I've just found out that you should avoid Vitamin A when taking Accutane and I just took a multivitamin this morning.

Since I've only taken one pill,can I just stop cold turkey and then start again when my internship is over?

I've never heard of a regimen like that but I live in the US and in the US doctors typically prescribe megadoses of isotretinion: 40mg+ everyday. It's not clear to me whether large doses or smaller doses are preferable and people on this board have different opinions on the matter.

I personally wouldn't worry about accidentally taking one multivitamin and taking an isotretinion pill. Just don't make a habit of it in the future.

You can stop the medication if you want. What in particular are you concerned about? Some people react fine to isotretinion and can work effectively while on the medication. Personally, I had cognitive difficulties while on the drug and I had to stop. Keep in mind, however, that I was on 60 mg per day dose.

Edited by datsnotmyname

want clear skin? take the accutane and trust your doctor who knows more then i do and anyone else on this site

OR have fun using 10 different over the counter cleaners and creams that dont work and only ruin your skin without getting rid of the acne

tough call

btw the side effects are a tad harsh but the horror stories you read about only happen in rare cases.. just like ANY drug

Find a dermatologist who knows what they're doing. Isotretinoin can be incredibly dangerous and it should be mandatory to inform patients of the full list of side effects. That regimen also seems very strange and ineffective.

At least you were smart to be angry. Most would have just accepted accutane as a "gift" from santa claus without even thinking twice of what accutane can really do to them.

Throw all your pills away, don't take it.

lmfao. Once again, nothing to support your claim. Just "don't take it". Freaking ridiculous.

LOL @ TamaDrummer, Max- & sverd, complete horse shit, all of you.

LilSebatian, you are overreacting. There is nothing wrong with this drug & no need to worry. Why are you mad, that you might get dry lips & joint pain? Take a lower dose then.

If your doctor prescribed it that easily then you probably needed it. The side effects are NOT that bad, the drug is NOT dangerous, and you will be FINE.

It's totally fine, it's not gonna kill you. But yeah, you should wait to take it because there is the dreaded IB, initial breakout, and you definitely need choose the right time. Don't want a face full of zits at an important meeting.

I'm month 2, and I'm just having the initial breakout.... it's totally bad. I have moderate acne that can easily be covered with makeup (most of my friends didnt even know why i was going on accutane because makeup made my skin look flawless), but this IB is just killing me! There's raw patches of skin and the zits are popping up everywhere and no makeup can disguise this... ):

good news is, I know 3 people who took accutane, and their skin all looks amazing! Like model material. So I know breaking out for a few months will waaay be worth the years of great skin to come

Hi!

Well, you have EVERY right to be mad. Your doctor, if nothing else, gets paid for telling you about the medication he gives you. From what you wrote, I can tell your derm obviously only cares for his money! :naughty: Ugh, how I hate doctors like this.

My derm was also irresponsable; he gave me the pills in the middle of the summer and let me not take any birth control. Yes, I asked him to, and he is a private derm so I paid for it!; but he should at least look at me suspiciously.

Most of the doctors here are extremely nice and helpful because they live for helping people, still there are some who just can't get enough of this overrated money and work overtime while treating people like numbers.

Good luck though :)

Don't be scared of side effects; if it is going to be that bad, you can always stop taking it!

And don't worry about one multivitamin...During my Roaccutane course I took one salmon oil capsule every day and it's rich with vitamin A :shhh:

But my dosage was small, so I guess it wasn't too bad.

Your doctor didn't tell you anything about Accutane? That's either a lie, or your doctor is a complete and utter moron. Accutane isn't exactly a drug you go throwing at people like Advil or Tylenol. You have every right to be angry at your doctor; he should have informed you of ALL the side effects, and what you should/shouldn't do while taking it.

As for stopping cold turkey, eh, it's up to you. I'd keep going with it since you already started it, but if you want to stop for some reason (whether it's because you want more information on side effects, wait until your life is sorted out, etc.) then do that. It's up to you, don't take our opinions as a way of life. Whatever you do, I highly recommend visiting your doctor again and getting a proper prescription for Accutane. i.e. Have him actually inform you of everything good and bad about this drug.

My derm was also irresponsable; he gave me the pills in the middle of the summer and let me not take any birth control.

No, this is not irresponsible, he should have asked what kind of BC you were on (or if you were even sexually active) but doctors forcingwomen on hormonal birth control just to go on accutane is awful & not necessary. The birth control is far more dangerous than accutane so you are lucky you don’t have a doctor that scares you into thinking you need to be on hormonal BC at all.

My derm was also irresponsable; he gave me the pills in the middle of the summer and let me not take any birth control.

No, this is not irresponsible, he should have asked what kind of BC you were on (or if you were even sexually active) but doctors forcingwomen on hormonal birth control just to go on accutane is awful & not necessary. The birth control is far more dangerous than accutane so you are lucky you don’t have a doctor that scares you into thinking you need to be on hormonal BC at all.

The reason girls and women should be on birth control is because Accutane/isotretinoin is a terrible teratogen. What are you going to tell the young moms and their babies who end up with severe birth defects due to your bad advice?

It is much less likely for someone to accidentally get pregnant if they are on birth control pills, obviously, and the ipledge program has significantly reduced the numbers of these affected babies, which is a very good thing.

"Accutane must not be used by female patients who are or may become pregnant. There is an extremely high risk that severe birth defects will result if pregnancy occurs while taking Accutane in any amount, even for short periods of time. Potentially any fetus exposed during pregnancy can be affected. There are no accurate means of determining whether an exposed fetus has been affected.

Birth defects which have been documented following Accutane exposure include abnormalities of the face, eyes, ears, skull, central nervous system, cardiovascular system, and thymus and parathyroid glands. Cases of IQ scores less than 85 with or without other abnormalities have been reported. There is an increased risk of spontaneous abortion, and premature births have been reported.

Documented external abnormalities include: skull abnormality; ear abnormalities (including anotia, micropinna, small or absent external auditory canals); eye abnormalities (including microphthalmia); facial dysmorphia; cleft palate. Documented internal abnormalities include: CNS abnormalities (including cerebral abnormalities, cerebellar malformation, hydrocephalus, microcephaly, cranial nerve deficit); cardiovascular abnormalities; thymus gland abnormality; parathyroid hormone deficiency. In some cases death has occurred with certain of the abnormalities previously noted."

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/archi...?archiveid=8655

Guest Timehealsall
At least you were smart to be angry. Most would have just accepted accutane as a "gift" from santa claus without even thinking twice of what accutane can really do to them.

haha this made me laugh

The reason girls and women should be on birth control is because Accutane/isotretinoin is a terrible teratogen. What are you going to tell the young moms and their babies who end up with severe birth defects due to your bad advice?

It is much less likely for someone to accidentally get pregnant if they are on birth control pills, obviously, and the ipledge program has significantly reduced the numbers of these affected babies, which is a very good thing.

"Accutane must not be used by female patients who are or may become pregnant. There is an extremely high risk that severe birth defects will result if pregnancy occurs while taking Accutane in any amount, even for short periods of time. Potentially any fetus exposed during pregnancy can be affected. There are no accurate means of determining whether an exposed fetus has been affected.

Birth defects which have been documented following Accutane exposure include abnormalities of the face, eyes, ears, skull, central nervous system, cardiovascular system, and thymus and parathyroid glands. Cases of IQ scores less than 85 with or without other abnormalities have been reported. There is an increased risk of spontaneous abortion, and premature births have been reported.

Documented external abnormalities include: skull abnormality; ear abnormalities (including anotia, micropinna, small or absent external auditory canals); eye abnormalities (including microphthalmia); facial dysmorphia; cleft palate. Documented internal abnormalities include: CNS abnormalities (including cerebral abnormalities, cerebellar malformation, hydrocephalus, microcephaly, cranial nerve deficit); cardiovascular abnormalities; thymus gland abnormality; parathyroid hormone deficiency. In some cases death has occurred with certain of the abnormalities previously noted."

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/archi...?archiveid=8655

Thank You for this! :clap:

haha this made me laugh

Max is right though! Hope things are going well Max..