Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaveM

Should I go on accutane?

Hey everybody!

At the moment I am just wondering wether to go on accutane. On the one hand I will have clear skin, but on the other the side effects sound pretty bad (ie hair loss + arthritis etc).

A little info about me, currently I have just turned 18 and have had acne since I was about 15. I would say left untreated that it would be a severe case. It hasn't scarred me yet which is quite amazing seeing I have had quite a few cysts. I mainly get pustules though and thousands of little whiteheads that grow into bigger pustules. I'm putting the lack of scarring down to the fact that I have pretty tough skin. I do have millions of red marks though that absolutely cover my face. It is actually quite disgusting and it looks red and inflamed.

Anyways I have tried treating it with everything - BP, SA, Doxycycline, Minocycline, Differin, Clindamycin, Tea tree oil, vitamins (B5 etc), and all this other crap. Quite frankly I'm getting sick of trying something new only to find that it doesn't work (and having to wait 8 weeks to make that discovery). Enter accutane - the so called wonder drug.

Yes it will most probably clear up my skin, but at what cost? I don't know if it is worth it to go on accutane and develop hairloss or back pains and so on years down the track. It scares me to bits.

If it scares me so much then why am I considering it? Well in the last few months I have missed so many days at school, been so depressed, and I think about suicide every day. I am a wreck. All of this is due to my acne.

So anyway people, what should I do? How did your experience with accutane go? Will I regret taking it in years to come?

And Thanks for reading this long post smile.gif

hi there

seeing that you've done antibiotics before and the acne still returns.. I do suggest u try accutane.

I feel that the side effects are wayyyy too overrated.. What I got was just really dry lips which cracked occasionally and bled once (have been on it for almost 3 months).

Don't worry, it won't cause things like receding hairlines (due to genes more like it) or backpain (due to bad posture). all the best!

bb_smile.gif

Hi, Only about 2% experience hair loss ( mainly males ) wich is more likely to have occured without accutane as well, and in the brochure it sais if it does happen it will grow back after the treatment. As for the other side effects, I've had mild acne for years yet nothing works so I went on accutane last month, my face turned a bit red the second week ( more like a tan ) and my lips feel a bit dry, but my skin is 100% clear.

So I say it was def worth it.

dude, I'm in the same situation as you, only that I'm about to turn 17 in a month...I've tried 'everything' as well, nothing seems to really help, the most improvement something gives me is like 20-35%, wtf is that?

I've cut school, passed up parties/trips to the beach/movies and a bunch of other crap because of acne...I get really depressed sometimes too and have thought of suicide many times...

right now however, I'm feeling much better for some reason, I've decided to not let it get in the way, I talked to my friends about it and they say it doesnt even matter that much, sure its acne and sure it doesnt look too good but thats what I have to deal with, some people deal with shit more serious than this and would give alot to switch places...so I'm just living this like a battle and not letting acne win...still there is times that I get pissed...

and dont think my acne isnt bad just because I deal with it...its pretty bad, like I got mad red marks and black heads and white heads and my face looks really red and get pimples every day, some cysts as well...oh yeah, and back/chest/upper arms acne too, that isnt as bad though...

so yeah, I'm also considering accutane, it really makes me smile when I imagine that I can have clear skin, it just seems so unreal that I try to not think about it cause I might just dissapoint myself...I've decided that I am going to go on it, THOUSANDS of people have taken it and got their live back to normal, I want to be one of those people, I dont want to have to dodge mirrors and windows and bright lights...screw the side-effects, I have a theory that they're just trying to scare us away from this so we buy more of the crap that doesnt help but makes them money...Accutane will clear our acne and make them lose cash that they would have made off us if we paid for neutrogena and differin and other shit...

I'm going on Accutane, and its up to you, but I think you should too...I'll probably start a journal if I do get the wonder drug and hopefully around march-april next year both of us will be clear... bb_eusa_pray.gif

good luck

If it makes you feel any better, almost everyone has some kind of skin problem- I mean every person I see has clogged pores, or dry flakiness, or blackheads, and so so so many people get pimples. I recently moved in to my dorm because I'm starting college, and I was so amazed by how many people had skin the same as or worse than mine. It made me feel normal. I see so many people who you can tell don't even treat their acne because it is so out of control- so at least you should be happy that you are trying to control it. But I do know how you feel. My skin goes through vicious cycles of being normal looking, then I get bad bad pimples, then I treat them, and they dry out extremely dry, and make my skin look all flaky and irritated for like 2 weeks, and then my skin lokks kind of normal for like a week, then it starts all over again. Right now I am in the dry flaky irritated stage, which sucks- and i wonder- is THIS better or worse than ther pimples themselves?

I have been on accutane 3 times at high dose from my derm. and now I am on self prescribed low dose. The side effects you read about on the net are a crock. The worst I had was cracked lips, and dry skin. If nothing else works, go for it.

This is a difficult question. In fact I wish someone would make the decision for me. i have severe acne but have been terrified to take accutane. Until now. I can't take this anymore and my life is draining away when I had behind my hair or in my room. I'm a 25 year old woman who should be excited about life. Bottom line, it's your life your choice. No one can make the decision for you. You have to weigh out the benefits with the risks. I hate that phrase. What else is there though??? Good luck to you. Good luck to all of us.

Hey Bro

I was in the same situation as you but rite now im currently 17 yrs old. My advice to you is that you should defenetly go on accutane. My only side effect has been dry lips and thats about it. IUve been on accutane for about 2 months and already all my acne has gone away. The redness is still there but my face is almost as smooth as a baby's bottom. You gotta try this product...its doing wonders smile.gif

I wish I had been given the option of Accutane when I was in high school and went to see the derm for the first time (almost 10 years ago!!). It wasn't until last year that my derm finally suggested it to me, but of course I was freaked about from all the horror stories you read so I said 'no' at the time. I go in tomorrow to ask for Accutane, tho. This is because I've spent the last month reading the journals on here and any others I could find and I discovered that almost noone has truly had a bad experience with this. Not like you can't find the horror stories if you want to, but all the journals I've read had the normal side effects - dry skin, etc etc. It really eased my mind and now I'm not worried at all about it. If anything, the part I'm most worried about is getting my blood drawn because I get very faint, but I can deal with that. I am 25 now and have lots of scarring from years and years of trying to deal with my acne on treatments that just didn't work. I've already talked to my derm a lot about scar treatments, but he says we can't even consider doing anything about it until my acne is gone....so, first things first! I will graduate from college in 2 1/2 years and I would really like to have a nice even complexion to present at interviews and my new job place. I wish I had started Accutane this summer instead of when school was starting so that I could have had the hardest parts out of the way already, but hey, better clear 5 months from now then never right? My advice to you would be reading as many of the Accutane journals on this site that you can, not only to educate yourself about what to expect, but also help you relax more about taking it. I wish you the best of luck!!

Go on it the pro's outweight the cons it's not even close......hair loss....you will be the only one to notice and that's cause people on here tell you u will believe it only side effect to worry about is dry lips but is counteracted with some lip balm wanna clear up get on tane wink.gif.

I dont understand how you can go on accutane by choice? Isnt it always considered a "last resort" to derms? I mean isnt it common practice for them to jew thousands of dollars out of your pockets before they suggest something that might actually cure the condition? I would be interested in accutane was well but I know my family derm would laugh at me if i suggested it because my acne used to be 100x worse than it is now... it just wont go away completely:mad: There is no way I could purchase the meds w/o insurance and my insurance will only allow me to see the derm ive been going to for all these years. On a side note I would give up 30 years of my life to have clear skin tomorrow and never see another fawking lump on my face.... in fact I am so sick of acne I would trade an arm for clear skin.

OK people... Thanks heaps for your replies smile.gif

I am going to the derm on friday and will pick up an rX for accutane (I got blood work done on monday). Whether or not I use it is still a question in my mind - if anyone has anything else to say, please, keep the replies coming smile.gif

Thanks people...

I just wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat! bb_sad.gif I've had moderate/severe acne since I was 14yrs old, and now I'm 19yrs old and I still got it! I also am very seriously thinking of going on Accutane, but like you, I am terribly afraid of the side effects!

Well, I just wanted to wish you the best of luck! smile.gif And let us know how it went:)

I dont understand how you can go on accutane by choice? Isnt it always considered a "last resort" to derms? I mean isnt it common practice for them to jew thousands of dollars out of your pockets before they suggest something that might actually cure the condition? I would be interested in accutane was well but I know my family derm would laugh at me if i suggested it because my acne used to be 100x worse than it is now... it just wont go away completely:mad: There is no way I could purchase the meds w/o insurance and my insurance will only allow me to see the derm ive been going to for all these years. On a side note I would give up 30 years of my life to have clear skin tomorrow and never see another fawking lump on my face.... in fact I am so sick of acne I would trade an arm for clear skin.

Hey there. Believe me, I've been in the same boat as you but I waited until 33 to start my Accutane. I can't even tell you how many social functions I missed because of the cysts. I just started last week and let me tell you, it's very scary dealing with the unknown. My point of view is nothing ventured nothing gained. You can go about with what your going through and hope that things get better, or you can take a chance and not waste years like I did. Go around and read people's journals and see what the majority says. After my spell with surfing journals I came to find that there are many minor side effects and a few very rare serious side effects. These are usually kept in check with regular blood tests, or symptoms that would be a warning sign (such as headaches). Look, I'm not telling you that there is no risk, but isn't it worth the chance? If you can say yes then go for it, I did. If you would like to read my journal feel free, I just started it and I'll be updating it regularly. There are also numerous other journals from courageous people who not only took Accutane, but had the guts to tell their story, zits and all! I have found that MOST of these people, when finished with their course, said it was completely worth it. Good luck and many prayers for you.

Love, Stace

http://staceyaccutanejournal.blogspot.com/...s-visit_08.html