Notifications
Clear all

How do I start taking zinc correctly?

MemberMember
(@oracle-crow)

Posted : 08/13/2011 10:11 pm

Okay so I read most of the reviews for zinc and I thought maybe I should try this. So bought so zinc tablets with 50mg and here I am. The brand is Sundown Naturals, which I think is an alright brand. I do have some questions though. Should I only take one tablet and wait like a week or two then increase to two? If the tablet doesn't cause any stomach problems does it mean the zinc isn't working? I read in one of the reviews that if you didn't have nausea that means the zinc will have no effect or is worthless for acne. I just took one over a half an hour ago and did not feel nauseated. Also I have a multi-vitamin that has lots of B vitamins but has 150 mcg of iodine and the brand is Member's Mark. Which is the Sam's Club or Walmart brand for vitamins and is taking this a bad idea? Sorry I have so many questions and for it being a little long I just need to know more about vitamins.

Sundown Naturals Zinc

Marks Mark Multi

MemberMember
(@dollyjoon)

Posted : 08/13/2011 10:28 pm

Okay so I read most of the reviews for zinc and I thought maybe I should try this. So bought so zinc tablets with 50mg and here I am. The brand is Sundown Naturals, which I think is an alright brand. I do have some questions though. Should I only take one tablet and wait like a week or two then increase to two? If the tablet doesn't cause any stomach problems does it mean the zinc isn't working? I read in one of the reviews that if you didn't have nausea that means the zinc will have no effect or is worthless for acne. I just took one over a half an hour ago and did not feel nauseated. Also I have a multi-vitamin that has lots of B vitamins but has 150 mcg of iodine and the brand is Member's Mark. Which is the Sam's Club or Walmart brand for vitamins and is taking this a bad idea? Sorry I have so many questions and for it being a little long I just need to know more about vitamins.

Sundown Naturals Zinc

Marks Mark Multi

i suggest taking one a day for maybe a week then work up to 2 for a week then 3 for the rest of the time=] just basically start slow

MemberMember
(@scottc-has-no-game)

Posted : 08/13/2011 11:56 pm

cut the 50 mg pill into two pieces and take 25 mg in the morning and 25 mg in the evening. I dont think your suppost to take much more than that, maybe 100 mg tops, but most people stick to 50 mg per day. You should take a copper supplement with it, as zinc depletes the copper in your body, which can lead to depression.

MemberMember
(@ryuzaki3)

Posted : 08/14/2011 5:18 am

Sundown Naturals Zinc

Marks Mark Multi

30-50 mg a day is fine but don't go over 50 mg a day because it becomes toxic in high doses.

Make sure you take it preferably with meals and copper since zinc taken over time can deplete copper levels.

Zinc gluconate or zinc methionine are the best forms of zinc to go for.

Zinc helps reduce keratin levels. Excess keratin may block hair follicles, and lead to spots. Zinc does this by raising the level of vitamin A in the blood, and reducing the levels of the hormone IGF-1.

Zinc has been shown to be anti-inflammatory, this is good because acne is exacerbated by inflammation.

Try it for 3 months because that's what a lot of the studies seem to work off of that basis and access it off the 3 months to see if it's improving things.

Also, try to find a good multi vitamin without iodine or just take separate vitamins for all of the essential vitamin and mineral supplements which you can get in higher doses anyways. Excessive amounts of iodine gets released through the pores and is known to irritate acne and can possibly make it worse.

I hope that helps, good luck!

MemberMember
(@oracle-crow)

Posted : 08/14/2011 10:09 am

Thanks to everyone for replying! I'm thinking I might just split the pill and take it morning and night. And maybe after a week add half a pill in so I'll be 75mg zinc. Also thank you Ryuzaki3 for answering all of my questions. I think I might just try to eat more and more vitamin packed food. As I can't really buy any multi-vitamins because I live in a small town but I'll continue to look for some. Has any have good or bad results from zinc, how much did you take?

MemberMember
(@ryuzaki3)

Posted : 08/15/2011 6:20 am

Thanks to everyone for replying! I'm thinking I might just split the pill and take it morning and night. And maybe after a week add half a pill in so I'll be 75mg zinc. Also thank you Ryuzaki3 for answering all of my questions. I think I might just try to eat more and more vitamin packed food. As I can't really buy any multi-vitamins because I live in a small town but I'll continue to look for some. Has any have good or bad results from zinc, how much did you take?

You're welcome. It would not be very good to take 75 mg of zinc per day. Remember zinc in high doses can become toxic, excess zinc depletes other important minerals such as copper, magnesium, and iron. Which are are very important for your health, hair, and skin. Too much zinc and deficiencies in these minerals can result in hair loss, and loss of color and other things. They key is balance.

Studies have shown that zinc levels are actually lower in people who suffer from acne. Also, researchers have given zinc to people with acne and found that they get improvement in their condition. To give an example of studies that was done that shows this was actually done two decades ago. It was a double blind placebo control trial. It's a really good quality type of scientific study. Researchers gave 30 mg of zinc gluconate per day to people with acne and they found that they got significant improvements in their condition compared to a placebo group suffering from acne who didn't take any zinc at all. So 30 mg of zinc gluconate per day helped improve acne.

There is another type of zinc that is often promoted for people with acne. It's called zinc methionine. There was a study done actually in 2010 and they gave people zinc methionine with antioxidents, it was a combination supplement. And what they found is that they got very good results in terms of improvement with peoples acne with this combination. So perhaps, what's been suggested that zinc methionine is better than zinc gluconate because it breaks down faster and the body absorbs it faster. But I think either way which ever one you go for, zinc gluconate or zinc methionine, they both probably work well it's probably a case of experimentation. The dosage looks like it's about 30 mg per day and you take that in one go or you can have a divided dosage 15 mg in the morning and 15 mg later on.

So 30 mg of zinc gluconate or zinc methionine helped improve acne. Remember to take it with copper and meals.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/15/2011 7:51 am

Do not take over 30-40 mg of zinc long term! It can be used at high therapeutic doses temporarily only and I don't recall for how long. You need to research it carefully and consider if you need it.

Why go straight to a mega dose? Why not try a sensible dose instead? And how's your diet? Sleep? Physical activity? Digestion? Etc.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...00#entry2576900

I took zinc way back when as probably my first step using nutrients and health for acne. In a combo pill called a stress formula consisting of b-complex, C and probably about 25mg of zinc. It made my skin a lot less oily and I rarely had inflamed acne on my face. But it was when I improved my diet that my skin cleared. And has stayed mostly clear on my not particularly strict diet. And I haven't taken additional zinc in years.

MemberMember
(@oracle-crow)

Posted : 08/15/2011 1:41 pm

I'm now thinking I'll just stick to spliting the pill and taking it morning and night. The also multi-vitamin I have, I think, breaks me out from containing iodine and my Mom almost didn't let get zinc. She thinks your not suppose to take extra supplement while on monicycline, which I don't agree with. But on to what alternatvista asked my diet I always try to include veggies and fruits but some days I get lazy and might not eat very many. I usually have milk, but since I'm not taking any calcium I think I need the milk. I just drink store bought 1% milkfat and yes I know I shouldn't. Usually my parents buy beef from some local farmers that is antibiotic-free, not sure what else it's "free" of. On to my sleep I've been staying up late and sleeping late. I have school soon so I will have to adjust back to my regular time. I try to do strength training usually 10 up to 30 minutes if I feel motivated. I usually ride my bike two-three times a week for 30 minutes and longer. About digestion what do you mean? Last questions should I think about getting more vitamin supplements and how can I get more calcium?

Oh and since your all keen on not overdosing on zinc should I just take about 25 mg in morning? Anyone have any suggestions to changing my diet?

MemberMember
(@ryuzaki3)

Posted : 08/16/2011 2:23 am

Last questions should I think about getting more vitamin supplements

Omega-3 in the form of fish oil or flax seed oil

Chromium

Magnesium

B3 niacin

Biotin

D3

E

C

Calcium

Zinc with copper

Those are some of the few essentials but remember to get most of your nutrients from a healthy diet.

and how can I get more calcium?

Dairy is actually a poor quality of nutrients. Most of the enzymes and good bacteria are stripped away in it's processing. The cows are fed corn and grains and are milked 10 months out of the year. I would eliminate dairy all together if you are suffering from acne since it can cause hormonal imbalances and cause acne. If you still wish to drink milk though, the best way is to get milk is in it's raw form directly from a farm that has grass fed cows. Other ways to get calcium are from vegetables like broccoli, and you can drink almond milk as an alternative. You can also take calcium supplements to ensure you get your daily amount.

Oh and since your all keen on not overdosing on zinc should I just take about 25 mg in morning?

25 mg of zinc with copper after breakfast or dinner should be fine. You won't have a deficiency so that will help with acne and also considering you get zinc from other foods as well, such as meats, nuts, and seeds.

Anyone have any suggestions to changing my diet?

You really want to reduce the quantity and improve the quality of your carbohydrates, by looking at glycemic load and glycemic indexs. You can find those online so that's probably the best bet to check those out. Eliminate dairy. Eliminate or reduce grains and beans. Same with sugar, all forms, malts, honey, glucose, fructose. The other thing to do is make sure you have protein with each meal. That can help stabalize sugar balance. And fiber is very important for blood sugar control as well, and that requires that you eat lots of vegetables. More so than fruit because fruit still has sugars in it. You don't have to completely eliminate fruit, things like berries tend to be much better to eat and have much less of an effect on blood sugar balance and have antioxidants. Which are actually quite useful probably for blood sugar control as well in some ways, more indirectly that is.

Well, those are some ideas. Good luck! I hope that helps improve your acne.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/16/2011 7:36 am

But on to what alternatvista asked my diet I always try to include veggies and fruits but some days I get lazy and might not eat very many. I usually have milk, but since I'm not taking any calcium I think I need the milk. I just drink store bought 1% milkfat and yes I know I shouldn't. Usually my parents buy beef from some local farmers that is antibiotic-free, not sure what else it's "free" of. On to my sleep I've been staying up late and sleeping late. I have school soon so I will have to adjust back to my regular time.

You don't need that much calcium, you need the other nutrients needed to use calcium and make bone and to not do things that deplete calcium. For example, magnesium of which there usually isn't much in a multi because it would make a really big pill. And you should avoid sodas and their phosphoric acid. There's calcium in spinach, broccoli, almonds, all kinds of foods. A very large portion of the planet's population consumes no dairy. But if you really think you must, yogurt is a better source than drinking milk with the added benefit of probiotics.

What about sugar and refined carbs? They should be limited, possibly completely avoided, and if consumed should only be in combination with good fiber, fat and protein rich foods.

Your exercise habits sound all right, but you should try to be active everyday. We are meant to move around a lot daily walking, doing chores, taking stairs, etc.

More info on they many ways diet and lifestyle habits like sleep affect acne:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-t230714.html

MemberMember
(@oracle-crow)

Posted : 08/16/2011 11:50 am

I don't exactly drink more than 1 cup, if at all, of milk a day. As to refined sugars and cards I tend to stay away from soda, candy, ice cream, anything excessly processed and I might have some maybe once or twice a month. I'm not entirely sure I can reduce my amount of grains I eat since there my main souce of B vitamins until I get a B complex supplement. I don't eat more than 2 or 3 grain serving a day which usually includes one or two of white pasta or rice. Also I am trying to include fish a few times a week.

I am surprisely active when I'm in my house since I usually use my stairs several times every day. In a couple days school will start and I will be walking more.

Thanks again for replying!

MemberMember
(@cloudscloudsclouds)

Posted : 08/16/2011 11:55 am

Hey. I will copy my post from another topic related with Zinc. Maybe my experience will be helpful for you in some way. "Last summer my derm. included Zinc to my regimen. I weight 135 and I've been taking 100 mg daily, but it was not in the pill form. I do not remember well, but I guess I've been taking it for 2 months or so continuously and after a month my dosage was lowered to 50 mg. And after that I've been taking Zinc only in a multivitamin form a long with other vitamins. As I remember it worked quite well in making my skin less oily.

Good luck!"

Take care :]

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 08/16/2011 10:12 pm

rda is 15mg, dont take any more then that in a supp otherwise you will be toxic.

MemberMember
(@oracle-crow)

Posted : 08/16/2011 10:23 pm

Hey. I will copy my post from another topic related with Zinc. Maybe my experience will be helpful for you in some way. "Last summer my derm. included Zinc to my regimen. I weight 135 and I've been taking 100 mg daily, but it was not in the pill form. I do not remember well, but I guess I've been taking it for 2 months or so continuously and after a month my dosage was lowered to 50 mg. And after that I've been taking Zinc only in a multivitamin form a long with other vitamins. As I remember it worked quite well in making my skin less oily.

Good luck!"

Take care :]

Thanks Cloudscloudsclouds I think I might of seen your post before actually. My skin sadly is oily dry combo, oily forehead and chin with dry cheeks, but my skin only get kinda shiny now. Before like 3-6 months ago my entire face was oily and I could take a tissue to drap off excess oil. Now I just wish I could make my unshiny... anyone know how to? Also I know this off topic but I start school Thursday and was wondering if anyone has overnight treatments to help reduce redness and swelling? Beside toothpaste what would help as I've seen that everywhere I've looked online, and yes I've tried toothpaste many it has 20-40 success rate for me.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/02/2012 10:45 am

why cant i take zinc long term im gonna start 60mg because i want to completely get rid of acne.

MemberMember
(@strax)

Posted : 12/02/2012 11:57 am

I just eat canned oysters a few times a week.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 12/02/2012 12:23 pm

by not taking it at all.

MemberMember
(@royalty)

Posted : 12/03/2012 2:32 am

Men needs 12mg of zinc per day. So i split my 20mg pills into 2 pieces and only take the half. I also get zinc through my diet. Something all acne sufferes should know is that too much zink has the opposite effect!

MemberMember
(@cyberpile)

Posted : 12/04/2012 12:14 pm

Men need about 12 mg of elemental zinc per day. However, If you're taking 60 mg of zinc gluconate a day then you're only getting 8.4 mg of elemental zinc.

MemberMember
(@rawhide)

Posted : 12/04/2012 2:45 pm

Men need about 12 mg of elemental zinc per day. However, If you're taking 60 mg of zinc gluconate a day then you're only getting 8.4 mg of elemental zinc.

Bullshit. They give you the amount of elemental zinc in the pills so it's "15mg zinc from zinc gluconate" and that means 15mg elemental zinc.

MemberMember
(@cyberpile)

Posted : 12/04/2012 7:43 pm

Bullshit. They give you the amount of elemental zinc in the pills so it's "15mg zinc from zinc gluconate" and that means 15mg elemental zinc.

I never mentioned anything about zinc supplement labels. I was just making sure everybody understood the difference. The study I read states an effective dose to treat inflammatory acne is 200 mg of zinc gluconate per day which seemed like too much until i read it corresponds to only 30 mg of elemental zinc.

MemberMember
(@royalty)

Posted : 12/05/2012 2:32 am

I never mentioned anything about zinc supplement labels. I was just making sure everybody understood the difference. The study I read states an effective dose to treat inflammatory acne is 200 mg of zinc gluconate per day which seemed like too much until i read it corresponds to only 30 mg of elemental zinc.

Stop fighting all i tried to make you understand is that too much zink can actully have the opposite reaction, so just take a supplement and make sure that you get what you need for the day (12mg) and just eat alot of foods with zinc, like pumpkin seeds! Going crazy on any supplement is stupid, just make sure you get what you need.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/17/2013 4:51 am

15-20mg of ELEMENTAL zinc if enough i suppose.

u get some amount from ur food as well if u have a healthy diet.