Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
coleb

Should I try to get accutane or just try antibiotics first?

So my skin was bad for a few years and my self esteem was completely fucked. Then I started stievamycin (tretinoin with antibioitic in it) and started eating right and my skin got reasonable for the last year or two. Well in the last couple months it has gotten a lot worse. It was 4 weeks before university started and my doctor was on vacation so I went to a walk in clinic and she prescribed me tetracycline. So I've been on it for a week and theres no improvement of course, it has gotten worse actually, but I dont expect it to work that fast. Well I don't look presentable at all and it's 3 1/2 weeks till I start university so I'm panicking.

I went to my family dr yesterday and we talked. My skin didn't look that bad and he suggested doubling my dose of tetracycline from 500mg to 1000mg. Well it's the next day and my face looks terrible. I'm worried that the antibiotics won't be able to make much of a difference and ill go into university looking like shit and having no self esteem, and I won't be able to make any friends during the most important time and then i'll be screwed for the rest of the year.

I'm wondering whether it's worth going back to my DR and asking for accutane or whether I should try the whole antibiotics thing and then if that doesn't work go to accutane. I'd call my acne mild right now but it's all centered around and under my mouth so it looks like shit to me. I also have autism spectrum disorder so social situations are bad enough for me normally, with a problem like this I have no confidence at all.

lol any help?

I personally don't believe that antibiotics are a good treatment option for acne sufferers. Their results last only as long as the bacteria work to become immune to them, and taking them long term can be harmful to your health.

I tried 3 different antibiotics and I had no improvement while on them, then my acne gradually got worse when I went off them (for minocycline and doxycycline atleast). I'm not positive it was the antibiotics that made my acne get worse once I went off them, but I think it's very possible.

To be honest the side effects I experienced from antibiotics were generally worse than what I'm getting currently with accutane (knock on wood). With antibiotics I would always feel sick for an hour after taking them (whether I took with food or not), would get headaches, and occasionally I would get stomach pains. With accutane it's just some dryness.

What I'm saying is if your acne is moderate or severe then try to get on accutane, antibiotics arent very effective in my opinion.

Edited by 12341234

You will have to have two or usually three failed antibiotics courses to be prescribed accutane. All derms are going to try antibiotics first because they are less dangerous drugs than accutane, unless you come in with an obvious case of very severe acne. Most doctors will not prescribe accutane for minor or moderate cases of acne for a reason.

My son has been on different antibiotics for eight years and has managed to get though with very, very minimal scarring. He looks great and I'm thrilled for him. His derm is now preparing to take him off antibiotics now that he is soon to be twenty-one. The antibiotics have been very effective for him. Antibiotics were also very effective for his father, apparently, many years ago to the point I didn't realize he had had severe acne. There have been no ill effects on his health and he is fifty+ years old now.

My daughter, on the other hand, didn't respond to any antibiotics and had to go on accutane with bad results. I really wish she had responded to antibiotics.

Most doctors will typically make you wait three to four months on an antibiotic because it can take that long to see if it's working or not.

Good luck.

On a side note, I'm wondering why you were prescribed Tetracycline out of the antibiotic group. It is the least strong out of the Tetracyclines and it has the shortest half-life (elimination from your body after a few hours or so)..

Minocycline and Doxycycline are more effective, maybe you should consider switching to one that is more potent?

On a side note, I'm wondering why you were prescribed Tetracycline out of the antibiotic group. It is the least strong out of the Tetracyclines and it has the shortest half-life (elimination from your body after a few hours or so)..

Minocycline and Doxycycline are more effective, maybe you should consider switching to one that is more potent?

probably because my acne is technically only mild-moderate

Alright so back from the doctors appointment. He wouldn't even discuss accutane lol. He was getting visibly angry and speaking very loudly. He said it's only for severe cases and that my case wasn't severe. (I guess how patients feel about themselves doesn't matter. I am quite depressed right now and scared of returning back to the state I was in a few years ago where my life was pretty much terrible, but I guess as long as I only have a certian number of lesions on my face it doesn't matter how I feel).

When I told him ok I just want to ask some questions about it he said he won't discuss it at all. I told him what I knew about antibiotics and he said again that I should try anti's for 1 or 2 months. He said that antibiotics have "no side effects" and that accutane has "severe side effects", like depression, etc. (seriosuly, I never got that. Isn't someone way more likely to be depressed from having a disfigured face than taking low doses of a drug?)

I'm not trying to say I'm more educated than a medical professional, because I'm obviously not, but I just don't understand how he could say that anti's side effects are nowhere near comparable to accutane's. I mean dry skin, chapped lips and the rare potential for depression don't seem a ton worse than bacterial immunity or any of the other side effects associated with antibiotics.

In the end though I'm glad that I went. Because now it's clear waht needs to be done. If I didn't go then I would be extremely stressed out wondering what could have been. I am happy that I was able to muster up the courage to go to him by myself, without my parents and talk, which is something I absolutely would not have been able to do in the past. And I'm also glad that I didn't get upset while he was flat out rejecting it. I'm getting kind of teary now but it's just a reaction my body has, i'm not emotionally upset, but my body just starts to cry whenever I get in an argument with someone.

I guess it's going to be praying that tetra works + wearing my sisters makeup when school starts. I just hope all these months waiting to see if it works don't go to waste. And I really doubt I'm growing out of it anytime soon so I wonder what's gonna happen a few months down the line?.

Edited by coleb

Alright so back from the doctors appointment. He wouldn't even discuss accutane lol. He was getting visibly angry and speaking very loudly. He said it's only for severe cases and that my case wasn't severe. (I guess how patients feel about themselves doesn't matter. I am quite depressed right now and scared of returning back to the state I was in a few years ago where my life was pretty much terrible, but I guess as long as I only have a certian number of lesions on my face it doesn't matter how I feel).

When I told him ok I just want to ask some questions about it he said he won't discuss it at all. I told him what I knew about antibiotics and he said again that I should try anti's for 1 or 2 months. He said that antibiotics have "no side effects" and that accutane has "severe side effects", like depression, etc. (seriosuly, I never got that. Isn't someone way more likely to be depressed from having a disfigured face than taking low doses of a drug?)

I'm not trying to say I'm more educated than a medical professional, because I'm obviously not, but I just don't understand how he could say that anti's side effects are nowhere near comparable to accutane's. I mean dry skin, chapped lips and the rare potential for depression don't seem a ton worse than bacterial immunity or any of the other side effects associated with antibiotics.

In the end though I'm glad that I went. Because now it's clear waht needs to be done. If I didn't go then I would be extremely stressed out wondering what could have been. I am happy that I was able to muster up the courage to go to him by myself, without my parents and talk, which is something I absolutely would not have been able to do in the past. And I'm also glad that I didn't get upset while he was flat out rejecting it. I'm getting kind of teary now but it's just a reaction my body has, i'm not emotionally upset, but my body just starts to cry whenever I get in an argument with someone.

I guess it's going to be praying that tetra works + wearing my sisters makeup when school starts. I just hope all these months waiting to see if it works don't go to waste. And I really doubt I'm growing out of it anytime soon so I wonder what's gonna happen a few months down the line?.

That sucks! I was on minocycline antibiotic for 4 months...i got some improvement at first but didn't last long...and the side effects were really weird. Started feeling like people were judging me and i was defensive and agressive all the time, and started overthinking it who knows may not be due to the drug of course maybe stress...but when i stopped taking it the these attitudes went away in a week. I've been on accutane for almost a month and the side effects really aren't that bad so far...not nearly as bad as what I experienced from the antibiotic just superficial like dry skin and lips. And my doctor said they've nvr had a patient with serious side effects over 10 years O.O, and basically its the silver bullet for acne. Personally i think antibiotics can only serve to carry you over until you outgrow the acne...which isn't happening for me since it's genetic. And also the side effects of antibiotics are quite underrated...people are on them for years while with accutane its only at most 6 months...

Stick with the antibiotic like ur doctor says for a few months and see what happens...nothing else you can do for now. My doctor only prescribed me accutane after a while of me being on stievamycin and minocycline and no good improvemnt came...he said its fine to use for persistent acne that doesn't respond to other treatments. Next time you see ur doctor and if there's no good results tell him straight up that you're seriously damaged emotinally which is very true and that nothings working for you...hopefully he'll consider accutane.

Edited by Cooool