Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest niko

Dermabrasion vs. Exoderm

Guest niko

Pros/cons? What is better? I am only referring to Dr. Y and Dr. Rullan's work.

people who have had it...a way you could benefit everyone is to show some uptodate pics, especially people with exoderm-i have yet to see one afterpic of exoderm on here except from doctors websites.

I think we can all agree that these two doctors are among the best in the nation (USA) for scar revision...

I think that by the sounds of things exoderm, should be used as a last resort, as from what i hear, your skin will never be the same again, and there's no going back, there is a pretty high chance of you losing the pigment in your skin, therefore you'll skin will be permanatly pale, and you'll never be able to tan.

Guest niko

Derma 1

Exo 0

but i dont think dermabraded skin can really tan after the procedure either, im pretty sure animegirl has lost the ability to tan...could be wrong.

I think that by the sounds of things exoderm, should be used as a last resort, as from what i hear, your skin will never be the same again, and there's no going back, there is a pretty high chance of you losing the pigment in your skin, therefore you'll skin will be permanatly pale, and you'll never be able to tan.

Note: This is only a brief summation of some research I have done compiled from a number of websites as well as gathered from peoples' experiences.

Dermabrasion:

Pros: May be an excellent treatment for severe scarring

Cons: Success is heavily dependent on skill/technique of the practitioner

Significant Downtime, scarring by unskilled practitioner, possibility of infection, in rare cases sinus tracts may be discovered, ice picks may deepen, hyperpigmentation may last longer in some cases than in others, fairly expensive

Exoderm:

Pros: May be an excellent treatment for moderate to severe scarring

Cons: Success is heavily dependent on skill/technique of the practitioner, significant downtime, Uses chemicals such as Phenol (which some people may view as negative), in rare cases hypopigmentation may occur, fairly expensive

At this point in time, there is more positive response about the work of Dr. Y. but this could change depending on the success others report on this and other scar boards. In the recent past, dermabrasion was considered an excellent treatment but also considered to be more invasive and risky than other procedures.

Another scar revision Dr. that has been popular in the past for treatments such as subcision and TCA CROSS is Rapaport. It's best to read about as many treatments as possible and weigh the pros and cons thus determining what risks you are willing to take.

Just to chime in on this real quick. I had exoderm done, and within 10 days of the end of the procedure, I was out partying with my friends and felt great, just a little red like I had a sunburn. Of course it varies from person to person. It's September 14th I think, 20 days after and I don't have permanently pale skin. My skin looks almost like the same color as pre-Exoderm, although I've always had dark/reddish skin, even as a child. So, if you want information go to the people who've had it done (or know people who've had it done), and not these people that make it out like if you go out in the sun you'll shrivel up like a vampire or something, because that is not the case. I could have gone back to work 4 days after Exoderm was finished. And felt totally comfortable with how I looked 2 weeks after. This of course is alot different than stories you'll hear about C02...

native- what percent improvement would you say you have gotten at this point? i realize it takes time to get substantial improvement, but where are you now? thanks!

As of right now, the skin is still slightly discolored, but I'm probably the only person that notices that because I know my skin, just like each and everyone of you does. You can tell the difference because part of the skin around my eyesocket where the peel wasn't done is slightly different from the rest of my skin. As for improvement, 3 weeks out and I'm probably seeing 50% improvement in overall skin tone, which is great. And maybe 10 to 15% in the way my scars look. The funny thing is that I had mostly rolling type shallow scars on my cheeks where I had hardly any cystic acne, and they've responded slowly (UP TO THIS POINT). While on my temples I had a few deep cysts that undoubtedly left their marks (boxcar scars) and those scars have responded by about 50%. 3 weeks out.

I know this thread stems from almost a year ago, but it would be interesting if people like steve, nativetexan23, etc...who have had exoderm done could elaborate on their experience and how they feel now, a year later, about their procecdure. Did the improvement increase with the touch ups? any info would be greatly appreciated.

hehe.. Pardon me for not responding sooner.. Ive talked about Exoderm so much over the years im some what burned out..

As some of you know, i may have actually been the first person to give a detailed account of the exoderm procedure on the INternet.. I had my exoderm going on uhh 4 years now with Dr. Rullan, when he first started to do the procedure...

I cant say any of my scars were particularly deep.. But my skin condition was pretty bad, with faily bad pits (visible pores) and deep ones all over the skin.. I would say that Exoderm improved the appearane of my scars by 50 percent..

But this is in the beginning of Dr. Rullans Exoderm career.. Theres no doubt in my mind getting an Exoderm from Rullan will achieve even better results now..

As far as my skin now.. My skin has returned back to normal as far as pigment is concerned.. And in MY CASE ONLY, i seem to actually tan better than i did before..

As far as thinning skin.. Ok.. From my experiene as you heal from exoderm, you shouldnt break out... But.. AS your skin completely heals it will be thinner than before... Thus, if you do get a breakout you will be more prone to scarring than before.... So basically once you heal, i would recommend doing everything you can to thicken up you skin once again..Wheather through home microdermabrasion, 302 protein drops, or if you have Scars still through Needling.. Get your skin to thicken again is vitally important to have skin that heals well after acne..

Unfortunately i do still have some scars.. That i am working on... DOnt know if ill ever do an exoderm again... Ive done MANY MANY other things post Exoderm to give me the results i have now.. needling, cross, peels, microdermabrasion.. So its def been a long Road.. But i am slowly getting there.. Hopefully in a years time i wont have to worry about my skin again.. Lets HOpe

hehe.. Pardon me for not responding sooner.. Ive talked about Exoderm so much over the years im some what burned out..

As some of you know, i may have actually been the first person to give a detailed account of the exoderm procedure on the INternet..  I had my exoderm going on uhh 4 years now with Dr. Rullan, when he first started to do the procedure...

I cant say any of my scars were particularly deep.. But my skin condition was pretty bad, with faily bad pits (visible pores) and deep ones all over the skin.. I would say that Exoderm improved the appearane of my scars by 50 percent..

But this is in the beginning of Dr. Rullans Exoderm career.. Theres no doubt in my mind getting an Exoderm from Rullan will achieve even better results now..

As far as my skin now.. My skin has returned back to normal as far as pigment is concerned.. And in MY CASE ONLY, i seem to actually tan better than i did before..

As far as thinning skin.. Ok.. From my experiene as you heal from exoderm, you shouldnt break out... But.. AS your skin completely heals it will be thinner than before... Thus, if you do get a breakout you will be more prone to scarring than before.... So basically once you heal, i would recommend doing everything you can to thicken up you skin once again..Wheather through home microdermabrasion, 302 protein drops, or if you have Scars still through Needling.. Get your skin to thicken again is vitally important to have skin that heals well after acne..

Unfortunately i do still have some scars.. That i am working on... DOnt know if ill ever do an exoderm again... Ive done MANY MANY other things post Exoderm to give me the results i have now.. needling, cross, peels, microdermabrasion.. So its def been a long Road.. But i am slowly getting there.. Hopefully in a years time i wont have to worry about my skin again.. Lets HOpe

I remember a surgeon telling me that people who break out having THICK skin will leave more of a deeper scar than people with thin skin....so having thin skin is still better because if u break out, the scar will be much more shallow if it leaves a scar at all.

...i hear ya... i'm in my thirties....the scars do look worse as time goes on...if i get either a dermabrasion or exoderm...i will post before and after photos.

Thank you steve for the quick reply. It is so helpful to hear others experiences. As far as thinning of the skin goes, I think that happens with practically all invasive procedures; you are infact taking away layers of the skin. Even with mild procedures (chemical peels, microdermabrasions, etc...) you are removing layers. It only seems natural to me that your body would take time to fully restore those layers. Even after using something as mild as retin A I noticed a change in thickness and color of my skin; I became more pale and my skin felt thinner; during retin A use was when all of my acne scars formed. I can definitely see why dr.s warn you not to attempt scar revision until acne has subsided or is undercontrol.

For anyone that has been to see dr. rullen....have you seen photos of exoderm (or other procedures) for acne scars in his album and if so what kind of results where you seeing. For steve and nativetexan, or others, when you had exoderm done did you go back for the touch ups and wouldnt you think that instead of doing the touch ups (which is similar to TCA cross just substituted with different formula) after the full face that it may be more sufficient to do TCA cross prior to a full face exoderm treatment or anything else for that matter or do you think that the two combos could had adverse effects? Treating scars is the most challenging thing I have had to do in my life. Thanks you all for the help