Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AmaraG

acne and chocolate!

Since I have made changes in my nutrition in the past half-year, I have realized that in a major way suger=acne for me.

I have done some experimenting and have realized sadly that one of the biggest problem foods for me is chocolate, which I love...I havent had any active spots for several weeks and the day after I decide to have a cookie with chocolate chips(not even a whole one!) I broke out in 2-3 small spots on my cheeks. Another food is hazlenuts. Im thinking I am probably allergic to both to get such a fast bad response. Dont even talk to me about soda, might as well put a bad over my head in that case. But I dont like soda its the other ones I miss.

Anyway its such a bummer. Anyone else have this love/hate thing with chocolate or some other food you love?

Well some chocolate, especially dark chocolate, is actually good for you but obviously over indulging is not good lol. I think if you treat it like drinking red wine you will be fine, just a small amount a day or so. Fortunately for me I do not really eat much chocolate or at least very often so I don't have this kind of issue.

Edited by ahmad89

Since I have made changes in my nutrition in the past half-year, I have realized that in a major way suger=acne for me.

I have done some experimenting and have realized sadly that one of the biggest problem foods for me is chocolate, which I love...I havent had any active spots for several weeks and the day after I decide to have a cookie with chocolate chips(not even a whole one!) I broke out in 2-3 small spots on my cheeks. Another food is hazlenuts. Im thinking I am probably allergic to both to get such a fast bad response. Dont even talk to me about soda, might as well put a bad over my head in that case. But I dont like soda its the other ones I miss.

Anyway its such a bummer. Anyone else have this love/hate thing with chocolate or some other food you love?

I feel your pain. I loooooooooooove chocolate. I feel that dinner isn't right until you have something chocolatey for dessert.

I've been eating healthier but I do still have a weakness for those damn, delicious sweets. Anything with too much sugar or chocolate goes into my mouth, I get a huge pimples within the next couple of days. :( Life isn't fair.

Buy good low sugar high cacao dark chocolate. Have with some other high fiber/fat food to lower the glycemic impact of what sugar it contains, and only have a small amount. If it still breaks you out, then perhaps it's the caffeine or an intolerance to something else.

Can you eat almonds? Sunflower or pumpkin seeds? You can eat it with some almonds or melt chocolate with seeds, coconut etc to make a bark. Coconut is also very beneficial provided you aren't intolerant to it. Unsweetened of course.

Have you seen the Desert recipe and idea thread? http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Food-and-...ce-t205099.html

I feel your pain. I loooooooooooove chocolate. I feel that dinner isn't right until you have something chocolatey for dessert.

I've been eating healthier but I do still have a weakness for those damn, delicious sweets. Anything with too much sugar or chocolate goes into my mouth, I get a huge pimples within the next couple of days. :( Life isn't fair.

sorry to hear that... but glad its not only me :-(

Buy good low sugar high cacao dark chocolate. Have with some other high fiber/fat food to lower the glycemic impact of what sugar it contains, and only have a small amount. If it still breaks you out, then perhaps it's the caffeine or an intolerance to something else.

Can you eat almonds? Sunflower or pumpkin seeds? You can eat it with some almonds or melt chocolate with seeds, coconut etc to make a bark. Coconut is also very beneficial provided you aren't intolerant to it. Unsweetened of course.

Have you seen the Desert recipe and idea thread? http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Food-and-...ce-t205099.html

Yes I do eat both of those. Thanks for the idea.

I break out every time I eat the real junk food types of chocolate: M&M's, Mars bars, picnic bars, any bars really.. But when I eat dark chocolate or even just better quality chocolate, I find I don't break out as much..

If you want to eat chocolate (and absolutely can't avoid it) then try to eat chocolate that is high in cocoa content, rather than the usual 'milk' chocolate that is full of, well, rubbish.

I'm willing to bet your "chocolate" and foods you eat that have chocolate also have these extremely problematic and commonly-allergenic foods:

-Sugar

-Dairy

-Wheat flour

-Peanuts

Most types of chocolate contain soy lecitithin in it, maybe that's the problematic ingredient?

As for missing it, tell me more. I don't really like chocolate, but I love white chocolate in sweets, white kinder bueno bars, white kitkat chunky (peanut butter one was better, but is discontinued), white almond magnum, white toblerone with raisins, the list goes on... So really, there is no solution for me, as the cocoa which white chocolate is lacking is the only beneficial ingredient in it...

And I really hate all high cocoa- low sweetened types... But I haven't tried doing my own cocoa drink with stevia yet, so maybe there is some hope for me left ;)

Chocolate and candy break me out because of the sugar. Rage! I found this out the hard way on holidays. I ate like half a bag of sugar lollies... next day was a warzone on my face. Sigh. I try not to consume a lot of that stuff for the sake of my weight and my teeth anyway, it just sucks that my skin hates it too!

Most types of chocolate contain soy lecitithin in it, maybe that's the problematic ingredient?

As for missing it, tell me more. I don't really like chocolate, but I love white chocolate in sweets, white kinder bueno bars, white kitkat chunky (peanut butter one was better, but is discontinued), white almond magnum, white toblerone with raisins, the list goes on... So really, there is no solution for me, as the cocoa which white chocolate is lacking is the only beneficial ingredient in it...

And I really hate all high cocoa- low sweetened types... But I haven't tried doing my own cocoa drink with stevia yet, so maybe there is some hope for me left ;)

lol. I uess some people have all the luck, no weight gain AND they dont break out from all the nice stuff we cant eat?

maybe we will be rich in the next life. yeeah. :boohoo:

lol. I uess some people have all the luck, no weight gain AND they dont break out from all the nice stuff we cant eat?

maybe we will be rich in the next life. yeeah. :boohoo:

I know, it's ridiculous. My little sister is this tiny little skinny thing, perfect skin, eats an entire block of chocolate in one sitting. I'm scared to even go near the chocolate. Thankfully I also enjoy healthy foods. :lol:

Yeah, I know white chocolate is actually sweetened cocoa butter ;p most of my family hates it, and most of them don't even go near milk chocolate, as it's still not chocolatey enough for them, they like only dark chocolate ;) which is actually called 'bitter' in Polish :D

As for the skin, my brother has perfect skin, and can only expect a few pimples after a sitting of junk food, alcohol and cigarettes. I hate when he comes still slightly drunk at night, and he eats all the sandwiches I craved all day, but just knew it would end badly for me. But I've found out doing them for him, and giving them away somehow puts me at ease ;P just preparing them fulfills me somehow, and if they don't lay around after that I don't get tempted ;)

But still, when he told me yesterday, that he'll have 2-3 pimples tommorow, or the day after, I couldn't help myself but think what kind of mess would my skin turn into after that kind of... conduct ;p

Anyways, in a cartoon, if I wouldn't be a cookie monster, I would certainly be this guy http://www.jocpenet.com/imagini/SandwichStacker.jpg

I am naturally prone to going off- topic. Sorry for that, it's just a personality flaw, it can't be helped ;)

Yeah, I know white chocolate is actually sweetened cocoa butter ;p most of my family hates it, and most of them don't even go near milk chocolate, as it's still not chocolatey enough for them, they like only dark chocolate ;) which is actually called 'bitter' in Polish :D

As for the skin, my brother has perfect skin, and can only expect a few pimples after a sitting of junk food, alcohol and cigarettes. I hate when he comes still slightly drunk at night, and he eats all the sandwiches I craved all day, but just knew it would end badly for me. But I've found out doing them for him, and giving them away somehow puts me at ease ;P just preparing them fulfills me somehow, and if they don't lay around after that I don't get tempted ;)

But still, when he told me yesterday, that he'll have 2-3 pimples tommorow, or the day after, I couldn't help myself but think what kind of mess would my skin turn into after that kind of... conduct ;p

Anyways, in a cartoon, if I wouldn't be a cookie monster, I would certainly be this guy http://www.jocpenet.com/imagini/SandwichStacker.jpg

I am naturally prone to going off- topic. Sorry for that, it's just a personality flaw, it can't be helped ;)

lol not flaws, quirks :-) thanks that was cute.

my grandmother was polish