Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oXSophiaXo

Adult Acne that came out of nowhere!

Hey Everyone,

I have been suffering from acne for almost 3 years now. I have had perfect skin all my life then all of a sudden at 22 I started getting a bunch of blackheads on my face which were slowly turning into white heads. The only thing that I can think of I did different at the time before I started getting acne was I started using face moisturizer because of dry winters and I was also eating badly for a time because I was at uni. Anyways, I am now almost 25 and after taking retin-a micro gel back in may my face got alot worse and now I get these weird flat puss-filled things on my face (not sure if to call them pimples) and i also have alot of red marks from retin-a.

Before retin-a, my acne was more moderate-severe and I was on erythromycin for three months which kept my breakouts at bay but still had acne. As soon as i came off of it I broke out again badly. I have also been on minocyline which darkened my spots on my face and did nothing to my acne and also BP 2.5% (This was when I had first started getting acne). I was also just recently prescribed by my new dermatologist (he was the one that took me off of retin-a) he put me on minocin (which is more or less same as minocyline) and solugel 10% (BP 10%) which also did nothing. I just came off of both and started my own regimen with organic ACV as a toner and drinking it with water. Just started that today.

I have wasted soooo much money on prescription medication, doctor appointments and over the counter medications and soo much emotional distress and just pure disappointments these past few years and now my face looks worse than ever. I have tried each medication above for at least 6 weeks or longer. I am not interested in accutane at all. I am trying now to just eat healthy. I have also cut out meats and dairy products from my diet for about 2 months now.

I apologize for the long message and if my thoughts seem all over the place but was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar? Where they were clear and suddenly broke out? All dermatologists I have been to have said its not hormonal related in my case although they have never done any testing on me. I know its not genetics, so I find it strange that I broke out all of a sudden one day.

Anyways thanks for reading and any feedback would be deeply appreciated.

I have had acne all my life but I had a friend who had clear skin all her life even after having two kids and by the time she hit 24 she too started to get blackheads and white heads and eventually she started gettin the big nodules along with some small ones. She's in the sun a lot so that helps her but she try not to use too much stuff before she makes it worse. So I guess it just happens. They say female hormone levels peak at age 25 and a lot of people get acne at that age

Edited by ifeelugly

true sometimes just when you think youve escaped...it hits you.

Your friend did she start taking bc pills or anything new? or maybe, go off them? That could cause acne.

Hey Everyone,

I have been suffering from acne for almost 3 years now. I have had perfect skin all my life then all of a sudden at 22 I started getting a bunch of blackheads on my face which were slowly turning into white heads. The only thing that I can think of I did different at the time before I started getting acne was I started using face moisturizer because of dry winters and I was also eating badly for a time because I was at uni. Anyways, I am now almost 25 and after taking retin-a micro gel back in may my face got alot worse and now I get these weird flat puss-filled things on my face (not sure if to call them pimples) and i also have alot of red marks from retin-a.

Before retin-a, my acne was more moderate-severe and I was on erythromycin for three months which kept my breakouts at bay but still had acne. As soon as i came off of it I broke out again badly. I have also been on minocyline which darkened my spots on my face and did nothing to my acne and also BP 2.5% (This was when I had first started getting acne). I was also just recently prescribed by my new dermatologist (he was the one that took me off of retin-a) he put me on minocin (which is more or less same as minocyline) and solugel 10% (BP 10%) which also did nothing. I just came off of both and started my own regimen with organic ACV as a toner and drinking it with water. Just started that today.

I have wasted soooo much money on prescription medication, doctor appointments and over the counter medications and soo much emotional distress and just pure disappointments these past few years and now my face looks worse than ever. I have tried each medication above for at least 6 weeks or longer. I am not interested in accutane at all. I am trying now to just eat healthy. I have also cut out meats and dairy products from my diet for about 2 months now.

I apologize for the long message and if my thoughts seem all over the place but was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar? Where they were clear and suddenly broke out? All dermatologists I have been to have said its not hormonal related in my case although they have never done any testing on me. I know its not genetics, so I find it strange that I broke out all of a sudden one day.

Anyways thanks for reading and any feedback would be deeply appreciated.

Hello!

A similar thing happened to me at age 39!!!

I literally woke up one day and felt bumps covering my entire face, neck, and chest.

I am now on minocycline 100mg 2x per day and spiro 50mg.

I've only just started these meds at the above dosages, so I still don't know if it will help:(...

Guest davidtheskinking

I would get off everything, BP... All medications and just switch to natural skin care products and focus on rebuilding a healthy diet on a daily basis. Also, drink a lot of spring/purified water and just let your skin breathe! It needs a break and sometimes the more you do the bigger problem it creates.

It's good to "start over" and let your skin balance out so that you can start from the beginning.

Hope this helps :)

David

I would get off everything, BP... All medications and just switch to natural skin care products and focus on rebuilding a healthy diet on a daily basis. Also, drink a lot of spring/purified water and just let your skin breathe! It needs a break and sometimes the more you do the bigger problem it creates.

It's good to "start over" and let your skin balance out so that you can start from the beginning.

Hope this helps :)

David

Hey I have actually came across your website several times about getting rid of acne naturally. But never purchased the book lol. Thanks for your reply though, I am trying the natural route now since meds have not worked for me at all!

Thanks everyone for your replies! Sorry I have been on acne.org SOO many times but have never posted so this was my very first post. Anyways you have no idea how much ur replies actually are very appreciated because all this time suffering from acne NO ONE around me has it too and yes I do do the same "how come i have it and they don't?" thoughts in my head which isn't a nice way of thinking either.

@princessdotty: I hope the meds work for you! I really do, having clear skin all ur life and then bam! zits all over your face, really takes a emotional and psychological toll. all acne does really! Good luck!

@amara: This is what my sister was telling me to argue to the doctors with, to actually do some testing on me. Can you actually imagine that 3/4 dermatologists I have ever visited, the very first thing they tell me when i walk into their office is that i should go on accutane? this includes the time when my acne was still VERY mild. I do have a sweet tooth though, BIG TIME. I have cut down alot on bad sugars (ice cream, candy etc) since i have changed my diet. I try sticking with fruits, but just have one or two fruits a day instead because they still have alot of sugar, but at least healthier sugars. I am only on organic ACV as of yesterday. It is supposed to help balance hormonal and glucose problems in the blood. If this doesnt work I will look more into your advice. Thanks so much for your reply!

I had sudden onset adult acne...

My heart goes out to you. It was devastating.

Accutane was my answer after a series of epic fails.

I do eat healthy, tho. And I believe probiotics are a MUST if you have taken antibiotics.

Thanks for your kind words!

It is so upsetting when it feels like you're the only one in the world with skin issues.

Sharing helps.

I just hope we all clear up soon!

Best of luck to all of you!

I have a follow-up in a week and I really plan to discuss my meds and make sure I'm on the most productive doses.

I just want to go back to normal and eventually want to be off as many meds as possible.

However, first I need to get clear- hopefully at some point...

I just posted how I "cured" my sudden onset adult acne. Please read and see if it helps you.

If you go to the message board for "adult acne" my post is called:

'How I "cured" my "adult onset acne"/ perioral dermatitis in 2 months'

I have pictures and everything. Let me know if you have any questions. I know how truly hard it is to suddenly have a broken out face.

Hey!

Genuinely glad your face is healing. Your post was really interesting and just finished looking up on perioral dermatitis. My acne is somewhat similar to yours. My new derm actually told me that I have been misdiagnosed these past three yrs and that i have rosacea. Wasn't sure if to believe him or not because after seeing so many derms im skeptical about most doctors i guess. Esp since his medication has not worked on me yet. I have an appointment with him next week though so I will definitely bring it up to him. In the meantime, im staying off meds for at least a week before i see him and going to keep trying ACV to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the info though and will definitely look into it.

I just posted how I "cured" my sudden onset adult acne. Please read and see if it helps you.

If you go to the message board for "adult acne" my post is called:

'How I "cured" my "adult onset acne"/ perioral dermatitis in 2 months'

I have pictures and everything. Let me know if you have any questions. I know how truly hard it is to suddenly have a broken out face.

Hey Sophia

30 year old male here, acne out of nowhere at age of 25. Used to be severe, but that cleared up with BP and now I have very persistent whiteheads and pustules (I hate that word!) around the nose and chin area. Been like that for about 2 years.

Previous to that, absolutely no problems, even though I used to smoke, go out and drink a lot, eat crappy food and live the general student lifestyle. Finished uni, started to work and BOOM. Been battling ever since. I live such a healthy lifestyle now, but it has no effect on my skin.

Tried the usual list of experiments that everyone on here has tried, to no avail. Creams / supplements / acupuncture / ACV / BP / Lasers .. all sorts.

Going to see a derm next month to be asked to put on Accutane, as I've had enough now. Been controlling things with anti-biotics for too long now (Lymecycline).

I understand your pain, I think it's far worse to have adult acne, as it's not as common as teenage acne, and it makes you feel like even more of an outcast, although 99.9% of people aren't really bothered by it. I remember when I had no skin problems, I wasn't bothered at all if someone did / or did not have acne, so I just try to remember that whenever I'm feeling self conscious. I think we blow it out of proportion in our minds when we have to face people.

You're not on your own anyway, if you ever want to vent, then feel free to PM me, I feel what you're going through!

Good luck with the diet, hope it works out for you.

Edited by snowdawg

Thanks for your feedback!

Your definitely right; before I had acne it never bothered me when other people had it or not. I am actually going to keep reminding myself of that when I am out in public. Thanks for that input!

Adult acne is a pain in the butt; I mainly get mine on my cheeks and then on my chin, forehead and by my eyebrows. My cheeks are the main area tho with worst breakouts, scars etc. I am going to keep trying the eating healthy thing. Since my original post, I have completely cut out ALL sugars. I eat little fruit too but trying to up it on vegetables more and cook all my food from fresh and as organic as I can get. Its ALOT of effort and work and money too but I am going to do what I can afford and just try flushing out my system for a month or so and see if i notice a difference.

Have you ever tried taking ACV orally by the way? It tastes horrible but it's a good detox generally, whether for acne or not. I don't find it helps as a spot treatment though.

I think you should follow your most recent derms advice and do the rosacea treatment. It can take several months for the treatment to start working and is different than what is done for acne. It should be very soothing for your skin. Are you using metrogel? Also check out rosacea sites for advice on diet. I was initially diagnosed with rosacea + acne and was put on treatment to target rosacea. It worked very well but didn't get rid of the deep cysts I also had. Tretinoin cream works really well for me along with following the diet below.

Having acne crop up in your 20's is usually hormonal but what you describe could certainly be rosacea and it doesn't hurt to follow that treatment. In fact it will help your skin to calm down.

Hang in there. Just remember that it can take months and months for some treatments to really work. As long as the meds aren't irritating your skin don't give up on them too soon. I'm told that's the biggest mistake people make. It takes time for old plugged up pores to unplug and for the skin to start functioning correctly.

Your definitely right; before I had acne it never bothered me when other people had it or not. I am actually going to keep reminding myself of that when I am out in public. Thanks for that input!

Adult acne is a pain in the butt; I mainly get mine on my cheeks and then on my chin, forehead and by my eyebrows. My cheeks are the main area tho with worst breakouts, scars etc. I am going to keep trying the eating healthy thing. Since my original post, I have completely cut out ALL sugars. I eat little fruit too but trying to up it on vegetables more and cook all my food from fresh and as organic as I can get. Its ALOT of effort and work and money too but I am going to do what I can afford and just try flushing out my system for a month or so and see if i notice a difference.

Have you ever tried taking ACV orally by the way? It tastes horrible but it's a good detox generally, whether for acne or not. I don't find it helps as a spot treatment though.

No worries.. Takes a bit of time to get used to reminding yourself that you were never bothered by other people's acne, but when you do things get easier and you can start to look people in the eye again when talking to them! That's one of the biggest things that has helped me to cope. I look them directly in the eyes. Sometimes I probably look like a weirdo. Anyone who keeps looking around my face, I instantly cross them off my christmas card list :snooty: You'll find that most people look you right back in the eyes once you have their attention.

I think it's a good idea trying the diet thing now. I was sceptical for years that diet was a factor, but now I'm starting to come around to it (as I've tried everything else!). This week, I am cutting down my wheat intake as much as I can, to test the gluten side of things.

Do you exercise as well? I'd recommend something that gets you going around 3 times a week. Cycling is my option, it's fun and non-impact, so easy on the knees.

I haven't gone down the organic route, as you say, it's so expensive! I just remember to wash my fruit and veg before hand and pretend it's organic.

I did try ACV for a bit, but I was trying a load of topicals at the time, which were bad for me, so didn't really notice any ACV effect. My routine is very simple now, so I may give it another go.

Hi Sophia,

Sorry cannot advise anything but just thought I'd let you know you are definitely not alone. I hope you find something that works for you. I'm a little older than you and have suffered from acne for around 2 decades. I now have adult acne which is rapidly becoming far worse than anything I experienced as a teen, and nothing - absolutely nothing - has made any difference. However, do not let my words alarm you though; I believe it's safe to say that I'm probably in the minority because I have several co-morbid (gosh I hate that word) conditions that may be (I say may be because I can't come up with any other answer) contributing to my acne independent of diet or skin regime. If you are relatively 'healthy' then it's possible all you'll require is a simple change to a healthier diet and consuming more water.

I would advise however to exercise caution with vit b5. It works miracles for some but for others (myself included) it can cause hair loss.

If you're going to take zinc, choose the picolinate or chelated form as these are the ones easiest digested by the body.

Sorry for whining about myself lol and hope I've said something of benefit.

No worries.. Takes a bit of time to get used to reminding yourself that you were never bothered by other people's acne, but when you do things get easier and you can start to look people in the eye again when talking to them! That's one of the biggest things that has helped me to cope. I look them directly in the eyes. Sometimes I probably look like a weirdo. Anyone who keeps looking around my face, I instantly cross them off my christmas card list :snooty: You'll find that most people look you right back in the eyes once you have their attention.

I think it's a good idea trying the diet thing now. I was sceptical for years that diet was a factor, but now I'm starting to come around to it (as I've tried everything else!). This week, I am cutting down my wheat intake as much as I can, to test the gluten side of things.

Do you exercise as well? I'd recommend something that gets you going around 3 times a week. Cycling is my option, it's fun and non-impact, so easy on the knees.

I haven't gone down the organic route, as you say, it's so expensive! I just remember to wash my fruit and veg before hand and pretend it's organic.

I did try ACV for a bit, but I was trying a load of topicals at the time, which were bad for me, so didn't really notice any ACV effect. My routine is very simple now, so I may give it another go.

Hey Snowdaaawg! heh

I laughed aloud reading your post.. I agree, I would cross them off my christmas list too!

Funny enough I am also getting into this whole gluten-free diet. It's tough though because EVERYTHING has gluten in it. I have always been intrested in public health/social health and watched documentaries such as Food Inc. That's when I started becoming more cautious about meats I ate (hormones and antibiotics) and also eating processed food that have alot of soy, gluten etc in it. I ended up cutting out meats in my diet begining of summer because it was so hard to find meat brands that were hormone and antibiotic free and to trust whether they really were antibiotic and hormonal free!

I recently watched a debate on the use of antibiotics in livestock and how doctors (those who care) worry for the future treatment of their patients because there are a growing number of people who are now becoming more resistant to antibiotics because of the amount of it in the food that we eat. This is making it harder finding solutions to treat patients.

To be honest with you, it is HARD to start a gluten free/healthy whole organic diet. It is. Begining of summer I thought I was eating really healthy, but this past week, by really elminating sugars completely ( fruits is the only sugar I will eat now, and I eat very little of it still), trying my best to avoid gluten products and by eating lots of fresh vegetables is really hard and takes ALOT of effort. Made me realise, that when I thought I was eating healthy, I still really wasn't. Finding the right foods to eat, honestly, can be very frustrating and overwhelming at times. But you just need to motivate urself to stick with it.

Right now my routine is very simple too, I wash my face twice a day with Dove sensitive soap and I am drinking organic ACV twice a day as well before meals. I put about 3-4 table spoons in a cup of water. It's really strong.

As for exercise, I am always on and off with it. I generally have a really fast metabolism. I can put on and drop 5 pounds in one week. I might just add a light exercise routine, three days a week as you said. Have to get myself motivated to stick with it though.

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to highlight and emphasize about how the capitalist system of food production is messed up. Good luck with the diet plan though. Let me know if you need help while ur on it as well (recipes etc).

Yo yo

You're not wrong every bloody thing has gluten in it.. I'm starting to realise that this week! That's really interesting about hormones in meat, I didn't know that could be the case. A large reason for my skin is hormones, as it gets worse when I'm stressed, so will definitely be steering clear of red meat for a while now, thanks for that tip!

Gluten diet is going sort of ok, I'm making a gluten free vegetarian lasagne tonight, can't go wrong with that..I even have some gluten-free foccacia to have with it. Hard to stick to in the day though when popping out for lunch, so just sticking strictly to it for breakfast and my evening meal. I'm also trying to cut out processed sugars and just have natural sugars from fruits.

How's your diet going now?

Yo yo

You're not wrong every bloody thing has gluten in it.. I'm starting to realise that this week! That's really interesting about hormones in meat, I didn't know that could be the case. A large reason for my skin is hormones, as it gets worse when I'm stressed, so will definitely be steering clear of red meat for a while now, thanks for that tip!

Gluten diet is going sort of ok, I'm making a gluten free vegetarian lasagne tonight, can't go wrong with that..I even have some gluten-free foccacia to have with it. Hard to stick to in the day though when popping out for lunch, so just sticking strictly to it for breakfast and my evening meal. I'm also trying to cut out processed sugars and just have natural sugars from fruits.

How's your diet going now?

Hey!

It's going good. I have been really good in sticking with it so far. Let's hope I keep it up hehe. Last week though, I was getting tired from cooking every day after work. So my way of cheating, is I would have take-out sushi for dinner from a really good (not to mention friggin expensive) sushi restaurant. I couldn't help it. Was so tired and was trying to think of the healthiest "hollistic" take-out I could think of hehe.

Finding diversity in my everyday foods is tough too, I was living off of chick peas for a few days (for protein) and not I don't think I can look at chickpeas again hehe. But I started following this great Lebanese cook book that has all these wicked vegetarian recipes that are easy to make. Went grocery shopping as well and just bought all vegetables for the week and my bill came up to $34 (U.S.)!! Was thinking, maybe eating healthy aint that expensive. I avoid purchasing veggies, however, that say "seedless" grapes for example because they have obviously been modified for them to know that they are all seedless. I am also eating alot of plain probiotic yoghurt with fruits and two slices fo toast with peanut butter that is made of ONLY peanuts with nothing else added; tastes gross at first but getting used to it now. It is so hard for me to find gluten-free rice, bread, pasta etc. though. Anyways, just wanted to give you a tip as well, I know it's hard to cook everyday and also to find a good place to eat for lunch but what I usually do, when I cook at night I will make extra so that I could take it to lunch the next day for work so I wouldnt have to worry about eating out. Saves money too yo!!

Anyways, sorry for the long post. Want to encourage you tho to keep up the diet. Only thing I haven't fully tried to clear my damn acne and you're the only other person who seems to have similar case as mine. Good luck and let me know if u need help with the diet!!

Hi Sophia,

Sorry cannot advise anything but just thought I'd let you know you are definitely not alone. I hope you find something that works for you. I'm a little older than you and have suffered from acne for around 2 decades. I now have adult acne which is rapidly becoming far worse than anything I experienced as a teen, and nothing - absolutely nothing - has made any difference. However, do not let my words alarm you though; I believe it's safe to say that I'm probably in the minority because I have several co-morbid (gosh I hate that word) conditions that may be (I say may be because I can't come up with any other answer) contributing to my acne independent of diet or skin regime. If you are relatively 'healthy' then it's possible all you'll require is a simple change to a healthier diet and consuming more water.

I would advise however to exercise caution with vit b5. It works miracles for some but for others (myself included) it can cause hair loss.

If you're going to take zinc, choose the picolinate or chelated form as these are the ones easiest digested by the body.

Sorry for whining about myself lol and hope I've said something of benefit.

Thanks for your reply!

you're definitely not whining. acne is frustrating! I am trying to avoid any supplements for now and trying a healthy diet and see if that helps clear it up since no meds has done anything for me at all but have only made my face erupt more. have you ever tried changing your diet by chance? I read a post on here about a guy who cleared up his acne through change of diet.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/cleared-a...rs-t288705.html

Give it a try if you haven't already. As many people on here, I am tired of trying new thigns and new meds and wasting so much money. This method seems alot simpler and healthier anyways. Hope I have given you some words of encouragement!

The same thing happened to me when I was 30! It was terrible! Every second day I would get 2,3 new acne on my face (those that become bumps and thay on your face forever and leave red marks).

After 6 months of total hell, I decided to go to one of the best dermatologists where I am from. I asked him of it was hormonal, and he told me that it would be hormonal only if I have POS (polycystic ovaries). So I knew that wasn't the case.

It turned out that my problem was complete pore clogging because my skin is extremely oily and I was putting facial creams for several years (foundation will do the same thing). I had to learn the hard way that oily skin is the best natural lotion and shouldn't mess with it. My treatment was taking antibiotics for 2 months and antibiotic topical lotions for 3 or 4 months (2 kinds so that bacteria does not become resistant) and washing face with a good acne soap at least 3 times a day ( I used SebaMed soap).

Now when I am acne free, I take care of my face just by washing it with the good quality soap and that's it.

And, my acne out of nowhere were not food related for sure. Tell you the true, I am not sure if acne can be food related at all. I think you should eat everything in moderation except sodas and processed foods.

I hope my post helps you or someone. Good Luck!