Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OwlHowl

Just a Success Story, years after the acne.

I thought I'd post this because there's always people looking for that mystical miracle treatment of fruits, oils, and other "natural" treatments. Well, let me tell you, the only solution for a face full of acne is a visit to the dermatologist. I've tried it all, from diet to toothpaste to proactive solution.

The derm. first perscribed me in 2006 Retin-A .1%, Doxycycline (a pill to take twice a day), and Clindamycine (I may be spelling that wrong, also I don't remember the percent as I stopped using it a long time ago).

I began to see success months later. Although I still had noticeable acne all over the place, it was that bad to begin with. The doxycycline would make me throw up if I didn't follow the directions and eat before taking it. (reminds me of some interesting highschool experiences..)

Years go by and my acne disappears little by little untill I could finally define it as "mild". In 2009 I noticed that the doxycycline I've been taking for 3-4 years didn't work anymore. It used to prevent all whiteheads and now didn't prevent any. I asked the docter to perscribe me minocycline. I am still taking it and it is wonderful as it requires me to take it on an empty stomach. I also quit using Clindamycin because I simply didn't need it anymore.

As of now, my acne is gone! I'm nearly 20 years old and I'm starting to believe that acne does go away with age. I still get an occasional pimple, but my Retin-A (which I still take) reduces redness on contact. I still take minocycline, although I do what I'm not supposed to do and take it during breakout weeks or weeks before special events to be safe. (I know that can make me immune to the drug)

In short, I've found success from Retin-A, oral treatments like Doxycycline/Minocycline, and somewhat from Clindamycine. Also, the redness from scarring is gone. I remember my derm. telling me it could take 1-3 years to remove all the redness and she was right.

Your solution sounds incredibly unstable. I really hope that you have outgrown your acne, because most people who go on antibiotics get clear skin while on them and don't realize that it's only effective until they're forced off. I've said this before but it would be terrible to go from acne, to no acne, and then right back where you were a couple years later. And i've read numerous horror stories like this involving antibiotics.

I am a firm believer that in most people acne is a result of something internal, or external depending on what you do to your face. It took me years of experimenting to realize that everything i was putting on my face was making it worse, and now i use nothing but water and have no acne. Now this may not work for everyone, but i'm just saying it can take a while to find the perfect solution for your individual skin type. So again, i really hope you did outgrow your acne, cause the antibiotics are only temporary.

^^ I agree with the post above.

Mino worked great for me too. Wait until you're off of it a few months though... If you haven't outgrown your acne, you'll know it.

Currently, I am 31 and have hormonal acne. When I say "hormonal" I don't mean I get a spot or two at that time of the month. I mean, the ONLY things besides antibiotics to clear me in ALL of my adult life was when I was on the pill and then a couple years ago when I was pregnant. Pregnancy or the pill = clear skin. Once I had my baby, six months later I was back to moderate/severe acne.

I am now in the process of finding something that clears me, keeps me clear, and is healthy to use in the long run, since I am not one of the fortunate ones to outgrow this condition.

I'm going on a month now of not using ANY commercial products on my face (with the exception of Dan's BP, small amounts...). Instead, I've replaced traditional facewash & toner & moisturizer with raw manuka honey, sea salt water, and jojoba oil. It's been an amazing month of improvement! It's continual and consistent and I'm hopeful that the simplicity of this, combined with a few herbs and supplements will combat my hormonal acne.

Good luck to you... Seriously, hope you've outgrown it because antibiotics are only temporary relief. Same with accutane, been there, done that too.... Acne came back when my course was done...

Your solution sounds incredibly unstable. I really hope that you have outgrown your acne, because most people who go on antibiotics get clear skin while on them and don't realize that it's only effective until they're forced off. I've said this before but it would be terrible to go from acne, to no acne, and then right back where you were a couple years later. And i've read numerous horror stories like this involving antibiotics.

I am a firm believer that in most people acne is a result of something internal, or external depending on what you do to your face. It took me years of experimenting to realize that everything i was putting on my face was making it worse, and now i use nothing but water and have no acne. Now this may not work for everyone, but i'm just saying it can take a while to find the perfect solution for your individual skin type. So again, i really hope you did outgrow your acne, cause the antibiotics are only temporary.

agreed! I'm on Retin A and Doxy now and its really starting to annoy me to think that I need this... if I stop I'll most likely break out. Really annoying since I eat whole foods, lift weights, yoga, drink water and all of that crap and it doesn't help. Feel like I'm handicapped or something, can't sleep over somebody's house or go camping or something without magic pills. Most people can adjust their diet if they're not used to a healthy lifestyle, and then.. there are people who just have hormone problems -_-

Edited by robiii

im glad your acne has improved at such a substantial level, that must make you feel so much better out in public. However, taking that many antibiotics for so many years leads me to believe, that unless you were taking very good probiotic supplements during those years, you most certainly have a bad case of candida which is another big problem and can lead to further problems down the future such as some skin issues like tinea versicolor and other fungal/yeast overgrowths. As long as you stay on those antibiotics, your intestinal health will pretty much be in the gutter.

Edited by Stavs16