Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ahmad89

Zinc and honey

I bought a bottle of 50mg zinc pills and a bottle of pure honey, my theory is that since honey has helped me very much with the softness and giving my skin a sort of glow or healthier look maybe having zinc fight my acne internally and wearing a honey mask would give good results. I have tried dan's regimen and it did help but I ran out before I was clear and it is pretty costly to stay on that regimen for me so I decided to just wash my face twice as day and such. Today I decided to do some research on zinc and while doing that I thought about the success I had with honey so I put the two together and thought maybe this will give me good results somewhat quickly. Has anyone else done this before and if so what were the results?

I have maybe moderate acne just pimples that pop up every other day or so and some acne in small groups.

Hi,

I admire the fact that you are trying to cure your acne naturally. High 5 for that! Anyways I just wanted to mention that if your taking zinc its important to have 1mg of copper for every 15mg of zinc. You need to make they they are balanced in that ratio. If you have too much zinc it can cause a deficiency of copper. This can lead to other health problems. Likewise you don't want more copper than zinc either. Just try and get 1mg of copper for every 15mg of zinc that you take. I personally take Jarrow Formulas Zinc Balance as it has 15mg of zinc to 1mg of copper.

By the way I also use honey topically on my face. Raw local honey applied to your face 3 times a week and left on for 30 minutes will leave your skin feeling supple, fresh, and youthful!

Wish you the best on obtaining healthier skin! :)

If you want to buy this zinc formula you can get 5 dollars off at iHerb if you have never purchased anything there before by using my code REK978.

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Zinc-...psules/278?at=0

Source:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/505798-w...od-supplements/

Hi :)

I take 50mg of Zinc Gluconate and I use raw, unheated honey as a mask. I've had great success with both. Zinc has totally cleared my skin but I went off of it for 2 days and now my skin is covered in breakouts, so yeah you really need to keep up with it, you really can't afford to miss taking it, even for a day or 2.

The honey is kind of like Mother Nature's Neosporin, it heals broken skin, so it's excellent to use on a popped zit, if you can't keep your hands off your face, like myself.

I also use a solution of 50% water 50% apple cider vinegar at night as a toner after I do my honey mask, and it seems to make my skin smoother and prevent clogged pores... it's worth a shot! I suggest doing what I do and using the ACV at night because it STINKS.

Good luck.

Edited by myskinisHELL

I take 50mg of Zinc Gluconate and I use raw, unheated honey as a mask. I've had great success with both. Zinc has totally cleared my skin but I went off of it for 2 days and now my skin is covered in breakouts, so yeah you really need to keep up with it, you really can't afford to miss taking it, even for a day or 2.

The honey is kind of like Mother Nature's Neosporin, it heals broken skin, so it's excellent to use on a popped zit, if you can't keep your hands off your face, like myself.

I also use a solution of 50% water 50% apple cider vinegar at night as a toner after I do my honey mask, and it seems to make my skin smoother and prevent clogged pores... it's worth a shot! I suggest doing what I do and using the ACV at night because it STINKS.

Good luck.

Your skin looks very nice from your picture, but that could be just because you have a beautiful face! ;-)

Thanks for the advice and motivation everyone, would taking a multivitamin or fish oil along with zinc help with the copper balance?

Good luck.

Your skin looks very nice from your picture, but that could be just because you have a beautiful face! ;-)

:wub:

Thank you.

Thanks for the advice and motivation everyone, would taking a multivitamin or fish oil along with zinc help with the copper balance?

Personally multivitamins break me out due to the amount of Iodine they contain and fish oil also breaks me out... but yeah, you just have to experiment and see what your skin likes and doesn't... they work for many people though.

TIP: Don't start too many things at once because then you'll never know what exactly helped or didn't help your skin.

Edited by myskinisHELL
Hi,

I admire the fact that you are trying to cure your acne naturally. High 5 for that! Anyways I just wanted to mention that if your taking zinc its important to have 1mg of copper for every 15mg of zinc. You need to make they they are balanced in that ratio. If you have too much zinc it can cause a deficiency of copper. This can lead to other health problems. Likewise you don't want more copper than zinc either. Just try and get 1mg of copper for every 15mg of zinc that you take. I personally take Jarrow Formulas Zinc Balance as it has 15mg of zinc to 1mg of copper.

By the way I also use honey topically on my face. Raw local honey applied to your face 3 times a week and left on for 30 minutes will leave your skin feeling supple, fresh, and youthful!

Wish you the best on obtaining healthier skin! :)

If you want to buy this zinc formula you can get 5 dollars off at iHerb if you have never purchased anything there before by using my code REK978.

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Zinc-...psules/278?at=0

Source:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/505798-w...od-supplements/

No thanks too complicated.

I just had a wild idea, what if I were to mix honey and tea tree oil? They both have anti bacterial properties and such, so I thought maybe that combination would yield better and more effective results than just honey alone. What do you guys think? Anyone ever try that mix?

I just had a wild idea, what if I were to mix honey and tea tree oil? They both have anti bacterial properties and such, so I thought maybe that combination would yield better and more effective results than just honey alone. What do you guys think? Anyone ever try that mix?

Haha yes I've tried it. It irritates my skin because TTO is very strong, but if you don't have sensitive skin, go for it!

Edited by myskinisHELL

Well today I woke up with much less oil on my face than usual and the redness has gone down significantly and I just look better lol.

I will try TTO sometime in the near future right now I want to see what zinc and honey can do.

Edited by ahmad89

This stuff is awesome in the morning I don't have as much oil as I used to and it almost looks like I don't have any acne at all. I am glad that the pills are small and the bottle has a lot of them, so it's easy for me to keep up with this routine.

Well today I woke up with much less oil on my face than usual and the redness has gone down significantly and I just look better lol.

I will try TTO sometime in the near future right now I want to see what zinc and honey can do.

Are you a vegetarian? It's believed that some vegetarians get acne because of a Zinc deficiency. I'm a vegetarian and have started to take Zinc this week and I use honey as a cleanser too. It sounds like your skin is improving and I hope to have as good as results as you. Good luck, and don't forget to update us!

A couple of questions regarding the honey: do you use as a cleanser and if so will it remove light makeup? If its used as a mask, do you apply all over and so you warm it or apply it straight? also do you have to use manuka or will any brand do?

thanks

A couple of questions regarding the honey: do you use as a cleanser and if so will it remove light makeup? If its used as a mask, do you apply all over and so you warm it or apply it straight? also do you have to use manuka or will any brand do?

thanks

You can use it as a cleanser, I do. It doesn't remove makeup very well though. If used as a mask you can warm it up, but that can kill some of the benefits that you want. Also Manuka honey is not a brand. It's a type of honey. Manuka honey comes from Switzerland, from bees that get the nectar from Manuka trees. Manuka honey is probably one of the best honeys because of how antibacterial it is and all the benefits it has but it's very expensive, the cheapest jar I've found was around $30. Good luck!:)

No I am not a vegetarian the only honey I was able to find in a short period was the walmart brand honey, I looked at the ingredients and such it just says pure honey just like the more expensive stuff, so I figured there isn't any difference. It is making my skin feel very soft after I use it so it is working I guess.

So far my skin has been improving slowly I might step it up and start using BP during the night and honey for 30min during the day while still taking zinc. Thanks for the support and info everyone.

No I am not a vegetarian the only honey I was able to find in a short period was the walmart brand honey, I looked at the ingredients and such it just says pure honey just like the more expensive stuff, so I figured there isn't any difference. It is making my skin feel very soft after I use it so it is working I guess.

So far my skin has been improving slowly I might step it up and start using BP during the night and honey for 30min during the day while still taking zinc. Thanks for the support and info everyone.

There is a difference between real raw honey and just "pure" honey you find at the grocery store. Pure doesn't mean raw. It may work for you, but it doesn't have as many nutrients and minerals because it's been filtered/strained and possibly heated and/or processed. I used to use honey and it was from Kroger. It is was raw but it was still crap(only like $3). Now I use Really Raw Honey from Whole Foods and it does wonders. Think about what would happen to your skin if you used better honey. I wish you well.:)

Is USDA approved organic honey the same as raw honey?

No, USDA approved organic honey just means that it's organic. Raw honey means that it has not been strained, heated, processed, etc. Organic means that the honey was made from bees that got nectar from flowers without any chemicals on them. This is nearly impossible to do though. You see, bees travel up to 2.5 miles to get nectar to make honey. Most of the time they will encounter some sort of chemical or pollutant. The USDA approves it anyway though. Organic honey can be raw but isn't always.